Poll Options
Do you have a Driver's License?

Driver's license revisited
Old 01-17-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Driver's license revisited

Since I personally got my driver's license just a week ago, I'm rather interested in knowing how many of my fellow forumites have known the pleasure of sitting behind a wheel, pushing pedals and constantly looking around in fear of SUVs.

And while I'm at it, if you can't drive stick shift, you can't drive.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 01-17-2002, 10:01 PM   #2
Joeiss
Pinned by Dyne on Festivus

Now Playing: SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

I took my dad's car out for a drive a week ago. It was fun! It is a 1996 Maxima... It is sweet.

However, I just went around the block, but it was still a drive.

Old 01-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Shadow Fox
Official GameTavern Ninja

Now Playing: SWTOR, Xenoblade
Exclamation

US Military vehiches...think they're automatic? Think they have cruise control???

Anyway, in real life I drive two automatics; they're good enough, I suppose....I need a new car....

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

Old 01-18-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Actually, my uncle has a car that's manual and also has cruise control. I didn't know they had that on such cars. One would think that they ability to arbitrarily raise or lower your speed would require some automatic gear shifting.

Or maybe not.

Old 01-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #5
BigJustinW
The Greatest One

Now Playing:

I CAN Drive a Stick Shift (cause My Pops has one), but I don't LIKE to drive it

I don't like taking extra steps when I don't have to

Old 01-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #6
marionette
Killaine

Now Playing:

i take your car...j/k i'm not old enough..

t(^.^t)

Old 01-18-2002, 01:18 PM   #7
Kitana85
Celtic Cutie

Now Playing: Lego Star Wars

I've got my permit... know how to drive a stick... but I don't have one.. I mean, my parents both have automatics... one of the priests at my church made me learn how to drive a stick on that car... Damn, you don't know how scary that was.

Old 01-18-2002, 01:34 PM   #8
Revival
Untouchable

Now Playing:

I can drive, but I can't drive a stick shift, and when I do drive, I drive my car.

Wow, that's a lot of boldness

Old 01-18-2002, 02:20 PM   #9
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

I have my learners permit. Getting quite dusty, i've almost had it for 2 years Ahh, I love laziness.

I know how to drive a stick, ain't good at it cause I don't own one. Hate automatics, boring as hell. Don't have a car because I want a stick, my mom doesn't want to buy me a car with a stick. So I may never get a car... for a while at least.

Can't settle for a junker. Must have 2002 Mustang Cobra!

EDIT: Ford canceled the 2002 Cobra. Those bastards! Now I must wait until 2003 Oh well, no car is better than a Camaro

Old 01-18-2002, 02:51 PM   #10
Ridley
Survivor Lord

Now Playing: Animal Crossing & The Wind Waker
Quote:
Originally posted by Xantar
And while I'm at it, if you can't drive stick shift, you can't drive.
Well you can't drive a standard anyways . What makes you say that? I mean I know how to drive stick (in fact my parents made it a point for me to know how to drive stick). Is it because you aren't able to drive every type of car? If it is, I can understand your reasoning towards that. My mom drives a 2001 Toyota Echo. They look small, but believe me they have a lot more room than you would think and it's just like driving a go-kart. Perfect for me because I can take corners as good as a shrimpy guy in prison . Except my driving is limited only to daytime. Reason? I have a rare disease (I guess it could be classified as one ) referred to as "night-blindness". Meaning I have below average night vision which is a hereditary thing. Because of this, I'm restricted from driving at night, which really sucks because that's the best time to go driving I find . Oh well, because of this though I've learned to use my other senses like touch, smell, sound, and just a knack for knowing where everything is so I don't bump into it .

Old 01-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #11
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Using the sense of touch to drive?!?

What do you do, stick your hand out the window to see if there's a tree there?

Old 01-18-2002, 06:15 PM   #12
Ridley
Survivor Lord

Now Playing: Animal Crossing & The Wind Waker
Quote:
Using the sense of touch to drive?!?

What do you do, stick your hand out the window to see if there's a tree there?
*slaps Xantar with a kipper*

No, I meant while doing things in the dark like walking, getting up for a drink, etc. And you didn't even answer my question .

Old 01-18-2002, 09:57 PM   #13
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Well, in my opinion, people who know how to drive stick shift are better drivers (more careful, more alert etc.).

Old 01-18-2002, 11:48 PM   #14
PureEvil
The Wheelman

Now Playing:

Quote:
Well, in my opinion, people who know how to drive stick shift are better drivers (more careful, more alert etc.).
Well, I think I agree to disagree. I mean, I agree, but to be just in what I'm saying, I'll also disagree.

I can see where you're going in saying that. Maybe people who drive stick would be more aware of what's going on(You always have to be checking the tach, after all), but I don't think the transmission of your vehicle really changes the driver.

Maybe people who drive standards are less likely to hit someone(something, or whatever), because you can't just floor it and gain massive speed, but as far as being careful and aware... Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference.

Personally, I feel that how careful the driver is, how responsible the driver is, and so on and so forth, all depend on the driver in themself. It all comes down to skill, in my opinion.

Some people are just naturally more alert and aware of their surroundings. Same aspect of humans makes some people good at parking, or holding their speed, and some not. You have to drive with intelligence(Knowing where your vehicle is helps, too). If you're an idiot with ADD, there are going to be problems, and the problems are going to exist whether you drive stick, or automatic.

On the other hand, if you're just naturally aware of what's happening around you, you'll never have any problems; regardless of the transmission you're using.

A standard just means it will be more tedious for you to accelerate away from the light while racing the person beside you(And I suppose it lets you control your RPM, which in turn deals with gas consumption and the oil temp. or whatever).

As for people who drive standard being overall better drivers... Nah. That's just a transmission. Good drivers are made only by themselves, and the intelligent habits they form.

(And me... Well, I drive. We were gonna buy a Jeep(The default tranny is standard), but didn't, so I get to play around with an automatic for the time being).

Old 01-19-2002, 12:13 AM   #15
quiet mike
uninspired

Now Playing: video games

I have a driver's lincese and have been driving with stick since age 12. I don't have a stick shift car here in US, but in Romania I have a Passat.

Stick shift is the best any way you cut it. Yeah people are lazy saying they have to use the clutch all the time and all, but if you drove for a day it becomes second hand, you even forget you are shifting gears or anything.