Re: Police Can Attach GPS to Cars Without Warrant
Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Police Can Attach GPS to Cars Without Warrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine 017 View Post
Typhoid I think your fine with it cause you dont own a car.
I'm fine with it on principle.
Just like I'm fine with the fact that my phone can be tracked if need be. Or that my address can be looked up if the police need to chase me down.

Quote:
The issue here isn't that they have the ability to put a gps on your car, it's that they can do it without a warrant.

Quote:
Should they be able to if they don't have any evidence? No. Why? Because I don't like the idea of someone having access to my house any time they wan't
Vamp - they're not putting a GPS on your car to see what is INSIDE of it. Just to see where it is. To compare it to getting a warrant to search a house isn't equal at all. It would be like them needing a warrant just to look up the government records of your address - not for looking in your house. Adding a GPS to your car doesn't mean they can randomly force you to pop open your trunk, or strip your car. They're just knowing it's location. Not what is INSIDE of it. Does your house have a location? Do the police know where it is if they need to? They sure do. So what's the difference if the police know where your car is? Like I said, they're not knowing what is INSIDE of the car, just like they don't search your house by simply knowing the address.

Quote:
They -can't- just do any of those things you listed. Have to have a warrant.
I know they can't. That's why I used them as a comparison. I said "it's NOT like they are____"

Quote:
Obviously all of these things are not equal to another. There's a line that's crossed when you go between knowing I make 60k a year and knowing that I go to starbucks every day at 2:30 and spend $3 on a coffee before driving five minutes back to where I work.
Why would they track you?

You do realize this isn't in place for everyday people.
I envision it logically. For people on bail, flight risks, offenders, or people who just generally need to be kept track of. Drug dealers, etc. They're not going to stick a GPS on YOUR car. Unless you do happen to be a drug dealer with a flight risk who happens to be out on bail.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.