Pages : [1] 2

Teuthida
08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007161.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Professor S
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
1) It's about goddamn time (yay!)

2) It's on AMC? (boo)

I have serious concerns whether or not a non-premium cable channel can do this series justice. There isn't a lot of gore in The Walking Dead, but when there is gore, it is purposeful and GRAPHIC. I mean unflinchingly graphic. Last House of the Left (the original) graphic. And I think it's utterly crucial to the storytelling. I really hope HBO or Showtime would have picked this up.

Oh well, it will be interesting in any case, and AMC has a good track record with their series, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

KillerGremlin
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeaaaahhh, The Walking Dead could be good on TV. I'm curious how pacing will work though for TV-format. The comic is somewhat unevenly paced. The show has a huge potential to expand upon the introduction, draw out living on the outskirts of an infected city, draw out the trip to the prison, and CONDENSE the time spent at the prison (or possibly add a few sideplots or something). The comic is really good but it has some flaws.

I also agree that they need to respect the gore...but that is kind of implied with the whole zombie thing, right?

BreakABone
08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah curious how much they will create on their own. I mean the comic is just north of 60 issues, and at best I could see it being condensed to maybe 20-25 episodes or so. Unless they really want to drag out a 20 page issue into a full 20 minute show or even hour long episodes.

Swan
08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I highly doubt they will make it an issue an episode, I need to reread but I could see it being done easily in 2 seasons.

Maybe 15 eps a season?

KillerGremlin
08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Let's refresh all the major plot points....

-Rick wakes up from his coma to find a desolate hospital and world
-Rick goes home, finds Morgan, gets supplies at Police Station
-Rick heads into city, finds people, finds his Wife, Son and his "best friend" Shane
-They set up the camper and live life a little
-Drama between Rick and Shane
-They leave campsite
-They travel on the road...they find a comfy gated neighborhood...they set up camp....
-They travel on the road
-They find the prison
-The Governor sideplot
-Prison attack
-Rick and his son
-Meet more people/trip to Washington DC

Now, the cool thing that the TV show could do is show various stories that occur at the same time. It is my opinion that the comic draws out some of the Issues in the prison.

I personally think they could squeeze a whole season (15 Episodes-ish) out of everything up to the prison attack. That would be my suggested logical endpoint for a season. The question is where do you go from there?

The show is bound to fail anyway. I thought about this. The Governor torture sequence? Zombies ripping people apart? Psychotic prison murderer guy? Suicide? Sex? The comic has all of it.

BreakABone
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Okay so the show has been picked up for 6 episodes, and Rick Grimes has been cast.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1270575955.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25600

BreakABone
06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
First look

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Zombie-Photo-Gallery/Zombie-Man-1-400.jpg

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Zombie-Photo-Gallery/Zombie-Joe-650.jpg

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Zombie-Photo-Gallery/Hero-Male-400.jpg

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/06/walking-dead-production-begins.php

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/113564612.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1276208238&Signature=CRRAY1OFn2vUgskv2uyVd%2F3hiBU%3D

Teuthida
06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Almost forgot there are zombies in the series.

Fox 6
06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
First promotional photo, looking good.

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/109/1096215/WalkingDeadZombieGal_1276196189_640w.jpg

Teuthida
06-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Mr. Rick Grimes.

http://ifanboy.com/files/images/jflanagan/First%20Rick%20Shot%20release.jpg

Teuthida
07-24-2010, 07:17 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBiI6YRfWIY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBiI6YRfWIY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Teuthida
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Pretty funny interview with Robert Kirkman.

<embed class="rev3PlayerEmbed" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://revision3.com/player-v6154" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" width="555" height="312" />

BreakABone
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Here's the proper trailer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27977

The show will debut on Oct 31st (of course) at 10pm on AMC.

Looks awesome.

The Germanator
08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Trailer looks great. I honestly know nothing of the comic, but I'm fond of AMC's track record for original TV, so I'll definitely watch. Also, anything with a Halloween premiere is awesome.

TheSlyMoogle
08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow that looks really good. I haven't read the comic either. So thanks Killer for slightly spoiling some stuff for me :D

But I'll watch the show.

Angrist
08-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Trailer looks good, but the story sounds so cliché. Zombie outbreak, looking for family, heading for military camp.

The zombie-covered tank scene was nice.

Edit: here's a picture of my ocarina!

Teuthida
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I actually forgot how 28DaysLaterish it starts off. But the basic premise of the comic is what it's like to try to live during a zombie apocalypse that never ends whereas in most movies the people escape (and don't know what becomes of them) or die. In the comic you actually forget about the zombies every so often because it's more a human drama than anything else.

Teuthida
10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Skip to 32 min in for the Robert Kirkman show. Hilarious.

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/hqVegoecFAI%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="278" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Plus cast and crew from the Walking Dead get ambushed.

Typhoid
10-28-2010, 01:23 AM
I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

BreakABone
10-28-2010, 01:39 AM
I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

It premieres this Sunday if you watched the interview.

Believe premiere is 90 minutes long and its on AMC

Acebot44
11-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Just saw the first episode and am really digging this series.

Professor S
11-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I think they nailed it. I love the fact that:

1) The series, like the book, looks like it will focus on the characters and not the zombies. The zombies are just the "crisis" that creates the drama; as Hitchcock called it, "the McGuffin".

2) They made the zombies sympathetic characters, victims, instead of monsters. You feel for what they once were, not what they are now. Its also reminds us of what our main characters could become, which is where the true horror lies. This is why the slow, dim zombie is so much more effective. Its hard to sympathize with a raving mad zombie trying to run you down.

Typhoid
11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

BreakABone
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

According to Wiki, 28 Days Later was released in the UK in summer of 2002, The Walking Dead Came out sometime in 2003.

Anyhow, the show was awesome. So many moments where you thought he would get it, and then nothing.

Somehow, the killing of the zombies felt more impactful.

Teuthida
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Found this on the IMDb board:

It was written around the same time more or less, and the creator admitted he wasn't aware of 28DL at the time of writing. If anything, they were BOTH inspired by Day of the Triffids written in 1951, which involves a man waking up in hospital to find everyone around him is blind and society has collapsed.

Kirkman has stated that he's banned himself from consuming any Zombie related media so as not to be influenced...and that he can't wait to read The Zombie Survival Guide if he ever concludes the series.

I thought the episode was ok. Interesting to see what they changed/added/subtracted from the comic. For those keeping score, the pilot covered one and a half issues.

Swan
11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Professor S
11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Well, at their current pace they're burning through one issue every hour episode. At that rate, they will finish the first trade at the end of this six episode season.

Vampyr
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this....I never saw any commercials or anything for this show.

Is the pilot the only episode that's aired so far? Is it available to watch anywhere online? (Can't really go check at work)

Angrist
11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Great episode, but too bad he lost his transport at the end.

manasecret
11-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Sweet episode. I like how they just confronted some of the zombie cliche plots up front and got them out of the way. 1. Having to shoot a child. 2. Having to shoot your wife & mother of your child. 3. Finding the "salvation city". That's all I can think of at the moment, any others? I also like the pacing, and the despairing moment going into the fetal position when he is coming to grips with what happens. Plot, pacing, and dialogue is good so far.

The only thing is, I'm waiting for someone to say, "WTF??? Zombies are actually real????" I mean, do these people exist outside of our common Western movie culture? But I suppose the second episode may rectify that with the new voice from the tank radio.

Swan
11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, at their current pace they're burning through one issue every hour episode. At that rate, they will finish the first trade at the end of this six episode season.

Yeah, I recently found out season was only six episodes so that doesn't bother anymore. I had assumed it would be the same length as as a standard television season(about 16 or so)

Professor S
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
The only thing is, I'm waiting for someone to say, "WTF??? Zombies are actually real????" I mean, do these people exist outside of our common Western movie culture? But I suppose the second episode may rectify that with the new voice from the tank radio.

Actually I hope they never do that. Its too much of a wink to the audience and would break the tone of the story. I think the story works much better if that universe had never heard of a zombie.

Typhoid
11-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Why?
Why can't viewers of today suspend logic for the entertainment value of a show?
Why does every zombie outbreak-show/movie need an explainable medical answer, and can't just be taken at face value of what it is?

People these days. :ohreilly: ;)

Angrist
11-06-2010, 03:07 AM
So.... a new episode every week?

Vampyr
11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Caught the encore of the pilot last night on AMC.

It was really, really good. Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow.

BreakABone
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Second episode was pretty cool, but think it lost something near the end.

Show isn't shying away from the gore it seems.

Angrist
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Episode 2 was nice but not as good as the first. It was quite predictable, although they broke the prisoner-cliché I guess.

Teuthida
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Spoilers tags are for stuff that happens in the comic.

I wasn't blown away by the first ep but I was downright disappointed by the 2nd. And more from the perspective of it being an AMC show (which I hold to higher standards) than straying so far away from the comic.

When they said they were going to change things from the comic, I thought it would be more to move things around or fix pacing issues, and any changes would be improvements. Been lurking on the IMDb boards. Every problem with the show non readers seem to have is with everything they've changed, so it's not just me nerdraging.

New characters:
Racist redneck.
A guy named T-Dog. T-Dog? Really? It was one thing if he just called himself that but I cringed when Dale referred to him by that name over the radio.
The city planner who's only purpose was to provide a couple minute sewer scene. Might as well have not even been there.
The other guy was ok I guess. Just there.

The zombies are way too cognitive. Using a rock to break the window? Climbing fences? How are they going to stay in the prison later when there was basically just one big fence protecting them?

Editing error with T-Dog. He was with them when they were chopping up the body after which Rick gives him the key. But then when everyone runs back on the roof, he's already there sitting on the ground across from Dixon where he was earlier.

Pretty bad acting all around. Though funny enough I think Rick acted more Rick like this ep. Glen is the closet to his comic book counterpart. I don't remember how Andrea acted this early.

They keep hitting us over the head with the affair. It's like every AMC show I watch they make it point for you to hate the wife. Was a lot more gradual in the comic making you wonder about what the deal with Shane was before actually revealing it.

Professor S
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Teuth, I couldn't agree more. I don't know why they felt the need to make the changes they did. The characters the added are the so obviously tacked on and cliche when compared to those from the comic.

I'm saving hope that they will have more character development for the new characters later on, or at least use them as zombie food to push home the idea that anyone can die at any time.

And yes, the zombies are far too smart and are too much of a threat. Zombies do not use tools or climb ladders, and they DON'T FUCKING RUN.

Fox 6
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes

Vampyr
11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Having never read the comic, I really enjoyed the second episode. XD

There are a few too many cliches though, as others have mentioned. Cliche redneck, stereotypically named African American, cliche douchebag cheating with his best friends wife.

Angrist
11-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah yes, the sewer lady. That scene was boring and not needed. Anti-climax. They go explore a scary sewer because 1 lady just happens to know about them (they didn't need her to know that by the way). After some not-so-suspenseful minutes they discover 1 zombie and return to the surface. Boring! 10 minutes wasted.

I actually liked that some zombies were smart enough to use bricks and climb stuff. It suits the whole theme of them retaining some personality.

But I hated the scene where those 2 covered themselves with zombie gore. I don't want that to work, it makes things too easy.
Oh and the guy with the axe was wearing a helmet, but the rest was watching him and wore no protection...

Fox 6
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Both the "cliche" best friend fooling around with the wife, and them covering themselves with gore to blend in are original to the comic. If they took them out, they would get far more fanboys complaining about it. Also I find it amusing that some of you are complaining that a zombie used a rock to break a window, When in the very first episode the guys zombie wife basically knew the house that she had hid with her family and died in, and she operated the doornob.

Vampyr
11-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Both the "cliche" best friend fooling around with the wife, and them covering themselves with gore to blend in are original to the comic. If they took them out, they would get far more fanboys complaining about it. Also I find it amusing that some of you are complaining that a zombie used a rock to break a window, When in the very first episode the guys zombie wife basically knew the house that she had hid with her family and died in, and she operated the doornob.

Like I said, never read the comic, but I don't care if its in there or not, it's cliche. :P

The Germanator
11-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Completely agree about the acting being pretty poor. I think it's actively distracted me from enjoying the show a few times. It's pretty disappointing considering Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Rubicon all had stellar acting. As Teuth said, I've come to expect better from AMC.

Again, I don't know the source material, so I don't have much to say about that part of it, but I hope this gets better. I'm just not totally sold that it will be a great show yet. I'll definitely make it through the first season, but we'll see if it gets better.

KillerGremlin
11-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Thoughts:

I agree that the acting and the dialog has been less than average. The scene where they were hacking up the dead guy was so cheesy it felt like I was watching some B-movie zombie flick. In defense of the guys writing the show for AMC, Kirkman's dialog is less-than-stellar. I loved me the Walking Dead comic, but its forte was not dialog. It's been a while since I last read the comic, and I read it all within the period of a few days so I need to dust it off and reread it for the sake of just remembering what is going on.

The smart zombie thing is simply a way to drive the narrative (my thoughts, anyway). I agree it is lame, but what is not lame is a zombie show on basic cable that has tons of gore. Smart zombies that run adds to the tension. It's a cop-out to supplement bad writing and an average comic-to-TV story (thus far, anyway).

My concerns, and I have 2 main ones:

The Walking Dead rapidly deteriorates into a dark story of humanity's evils. We are talking X-rated stuff when we start tallying up all the fucking and murdering that goes down in the comic. I question how the show is going to handle this stuff, especially since they already botched the scene where Rick hacks up the dead guy.

My second concern is that Carl has been horribly cast. I just can't see the kid they cast going on to essentially be the main protagonist that he eventually becomes in the comics. The good news is the show will most likely be canceled before they reach that point in the story.

I've noticed the writers have really gone way out of their way in making Shane out to be a total slime-bag. They accomplished that within the first few minutes of the pilot. This is where I had hoped AMC would expand upon the comic. Again, as I recall, the weakest part of the comic for me was the writing. I feel like the show could have really amped up the drama regarding Rick, Shane and Lori. I guess the writers have time restraints and they want to keep the show exciting to keep the viewer rating high.

At the end of the day I ask myself this: who am I to complain? This show is a beacon of light in the wasteland known as modern television.

It is entertaining. It has zombies. The set pieces are gorgeous. Zombies rock. You take the good with the bad, right?

Typhoid
11-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Personally, I think the show is pretty great.
I like the fact it makes constant suspenseful moments, with no shock-screaming after a long silent pause. The tense moment just transitions into a completely mundane thing. Like in the first episode when he was walking down the dark stairway.

I think the main actor is a great actor, to be honest. With the other actors, when I see someone do something that 'stands out', I force myself to think "It's a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, who am I to judge how someone would react in this situation", and it seems to ease my mind.

I really have no major complaints against the show. I like the fact the zombies aren't soulless, brainless, plodding lumps of meat. That's not scary anymore. If the zombies can't break a window or open a door, and when they do they walk into walls at a seemingly painfully slow pace - well, you can practically live forever, fear-free. And that wouldn't make for a very suspenseful or 'scary' TV experience. "Oh, the zombies are in the park again. Be sure to eat your filet mignon a little faster than normal so we can pack up the picnic and head home at a brisk, yet not taxing pace."

Vampyr
11-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah the main character is my favorite, he's the only one I really care about so far.

The father and son in the first episode were also good characters, but I'm not sure if we see them again.

BreakABone
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Talking about the Walking Dead, good to see the KG is still kicking about.

I enjoy the show, I really have no problems with it, aside from the end of the last episode with the stupid key falling down the hole and the slow mo. ARGH

manasecret
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Woah KG does exist. To repeat BaB, walking dead indeed. Where did you saunter off to?

KillerGremlin
11-11-2010, 01:24 PM
hai guyz. I haven't really left in the sense that I lurk every now and then. I needed a break from GT, if that makes any sense, although it mostly makes me sound really self-important.

I'm glad to see Nerds on the Rocks doing well. I have checked out the blog. Someday I'd like to come back and contribute, right now I'm too busy.

I have school, research, an internship, and I've been seriously evaluating what I want to do with my life. Mostly I'm realizing just how poor I will end up if when I go into social services. Even a counselor with a PhD gets paid incredibly average given the amount of work you put into the degree.

I just don't have much to chat about, my life is boring. I watch Chuck, The Walking Dead, and Modern Family. I still see movies I guess. And I think I gave up 99% of new gaming. It was NOLF's 10th year anniversary I believe. Best game EVER. Go play it now.

Fox 6
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Really enjoyed that one, especially the ending. So great.

Typhoid
11-15-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm liking each episode more and more; and the choice of actors.

I also never thought about how great of a weapon a bow and arrow would be for this type of situation. I mean, they're fast, they're really quiet, and you can reuse the arrows. It's nearly the perfect anti-zombie weapon.

When he first gets reunited with his family was a great moment.

Teuthida
11-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Enjoyed this one. Looked at the clock hoping there was more before it ended. Always a good sign.

Felt very Lostish.

Professor S
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Much better this week. I'm glad they opened with a delirious Merl (Michael Rooker) on the rooftop. His monologue added a lot of depth to his character (if you paid close attention to his rambling you'll find a good deal of his history). I stink the dialogue is still a little stiff, but with a new show it often takes several episodes for writers to find the heart of the characters.

I am optimistic, and as Teuth pointed out, I wanted to see more.

Vampyr
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
There was not enough zombie in this episode!

It was still good though.

I'm a little confused by the ending: did the guy manage to get the hack saw? If so, why did he cut his hand off rather than the chain?

BreakABone
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
There was not enough zombie in this episode!

It was still good though.

I'm a little confused by the ending: did the guy manage to get the hack saw? If so, why did he cut his hand off rather than the chain?

It is a lot easier to cut off a limb.. as Saw apparently taught us.

And in the comics, the zombies are really backseat characters, its a human drama first and foremost. Doesn't always need zombies for that.

Angrist
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I liked it but also thought it didn't have enough zombies.

Acebot44
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Shane was so easy to hate in the second episode, but now after seeing him bludgeon the wife beater something fierce and how hard he's trying to connect with Carl, I'm pretty torn on the character.

I haven't read the comic, but hopefully the "chain of command" the women referenced at the quarry isn't typically as such, because then the show will be really hard to watch for me. I strongly dislike lazies.

Also, I felt very uncomfortable during the tent scene with Rick and his Wife, expecting that she was gonna fess up and everything would go to hell...but I'm glad that didn't happen.

All in all, this show is really having an impact on my emotions while I watch it, so I'm greatly enjoying it. Didn't want the episode to end. That's probably my dreams last night consisted of kicking some zombie ass in my old apartment building.

Vampyr
11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
It is a lot easier to cut off a limb.. as Saw apparently taught us.

And in the comics, the zombies are really backseat characters, its a human drama first and foremost. Doesn't always need zombies for that.

Easier maybe, but if I had my hands on a saw I'm pretty sure I'd choose the more difficult task in this case.

Angrist
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Am I the only one who thought the brother looked like Leonardo diCaprio?

Fox 6
11-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Am I the only one who thought the brother looked like Leonardo diCaprio?

I think he is Irish. He was also in a huge cult movie called Boondock saints.

Combine 017
11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Easier maybe, but if I had my hands on a saw I'm pretty sure I'd choose the more difficult task in this case.

So if there were a bunch of zombies coming to get you and you were handcuffed down you would choose the longer option and potentially get eaten by zombies?

Fox 6
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Also, if you cut your hand off, you can use it as bait to lure away zombies.

Swan
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
And you can also get a bad ass hook

Combine 017
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Or replace it with a chainsaw.

Swan
11-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Or replace it with a chainsaw.

As long as that chainsaw is from S-Mart

Vampyr
11-16-2010, 08:36 AM
So if there were a bunch of zombies coming to get you and you were handcuffed down you would choose the longer option and potentially get eaten by zombies?

Probably, the chances of dying from cutting off you're hand seem pretty high as well. At the very least you would be weak from blood loss and be more likely to get caught and eaten in the end anyway. Not to mention you'd probably get halfway through and pass out from pain/blood loss, then get eaten.

I'd take my chances with the chain.

Professor S
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Probably, the chances of dying from cutting off you're hand seem pretty high as well. At the very least you would be weak from blood loss and be more likely to get caught and eaten in the end anyway. Not to mention you'd probably get halfway through and pass out from pain/blood loss, then get eaten.

I'd take my chances with the chain.

Keep in mind the fact that he was delirious, dehydrated and starving by that time. That can cause some poor decisions. I'm ok with the plot so far.

manasecret
11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Still loving it.

So, show of hands: Who would cut it off in that situation?

Not me. Cut the chain or get eaten.

Typhoid
11-17-2010, 01:18 AM
I'd try cut the chain first.
But hacksaws can be pretty weak - especially if it's old - so there's a good chance you would just dull or bend all of the teeth.
If I didn't cut the chain, and zombies were literally at the door - I'd just wait it out.
If I needed to escape, I'd cut the hand off.
Surviving beats having a limb. Ask any animal that's chewed it's leg off after being caught in a trap.

Angrist
11-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Pretty good episode I thought. Just a shame that that person had to die.

I was wondering: if the redneck wasn't in the comics, was the story still comparable?

Vampyr
11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the last episode was really good, and they sort of addressed the earlier debate of limb vs chain by saying the saw was too dull to cut through the cuffs.

Although that begs another questions: Why didn't he just cut off his thumb?

Professor S
11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the last episode was really good, and they sort of addressed the earlier debate of limb vs chain by saying the saw was too dull to cut through the cuffs.

Although that begs another questions: Why didn't he just cut off his thumb?

Your thinking about this too hard. The point of it all was to establish Merle as a bad-ass to be reckoned with. He is the first true human enemy they will likely face, and a man willing to cut off his own hand to escape a trap is a man willing to do pretty much anything.

Vampyr
11-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Hehe, yeah, I know, I'm not seriously bothered by it. If I was watching a show for realism, it wouldn't be one about zombies. :)

They did a really good job of that, though - making him look like a bad ass. As soon as they walked into the kitchen area with the pans and flame going, I was like "Oh man..."

Fox 6
11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Great episode.

Anyone else get initial LOST hatch vibes from the CDC guy?

BreakABone
11-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I think the best episode since the pilot, some of the scenes in this ep were extremely strong.

Fox 6
11-29-2010, 12:55 AM
When it got to the ending I could really feel the panic and desperation they were felling, it was great.

Vampyr
11-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Seems like the current trend in the series is 1 action oriented zombie episode then 1 character oriented dialogue episode.

Professor S
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I think they are replacing the fenced encampment with the CDC building, which makes sense since the CDC building would be far more defensible against these more active zombies than cyclone fence.

I also like the addition of the scientist who has gone half-mad from loneliness.

My favorite quote from the show: "I think I'll blow my brains out tomorrow, but I haven't decided yet. But tonight, I'm getting drunk."

BreakABone
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
I think they are replacing the fenced encampment with the CDC building, which makes sense since the CDC building would be far more defensible against these more active zombies than cyclone fence.

I also like the addition of the scientist who has gone half-mad from loneliness.

My favorite quote from the show: "I think I'll blow my brains out tomorrow, but I haven't decided yet. But tonight, I'm getting drunk."

I also like that this pretty much just throws you for a loop if you are a comic fan. Like it appears thatShane is gonna survive much longer than his comic counterpart, and while most of the characters ended up being zombie fodder, they did serve a hell of a purpose in this episode with some of the "death" scenes.

Angrist
11-29-2010, 01:29 PM
The scene with the sisters was SO incredibly strong. Every part of it. One of the best scenes I've seen.

Really nice episode. Only 1 left for this season, right?

Neo
11-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Someone PM me if they ever reveal what caused the outbreak.

Gracias.

Typhoid
11-29-2010, 05:12 PM
To be honest, I didn't really like this episode. I mean, it was still a good episode - just in comparison to the others I didn't like it as much. However everything that happened after the scientist was introduced was the best I've seen from the show so far.

BreakABone
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Someone PM me if they ever reveal what caused the outbreak.

Gracias.

I could be wrong, its been a long time since I've read it from the beginning, but I don't think it was ever explained. And is the why that important?

Fox 6
11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
So is the series ended in the comic?

Professor S
11-30-2010, 09:49 AM
What caused the "outbreak", if there is one, is irrelevant. As Hitchcock would say, it is the "McGuffin". Taking time and effort to explain the cause of the zombie apocalypse would 1) take away from the story and 2) cause inevitable disappointment because what the authors believe caused the event would fail compared to the expectations of the audience.

My big question is: When will they reveal that you don't have to be bitten or be "infected" to turn into a zombie? All you have to do is die of any cause and you end up a walking man-eating corpse. For me, that reveal in the comic was the most chilling of all; the realization that everyone will end up a zombie in the end... they are all The Walking Dead.

Angrist
11-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm a bit annoyed by how the characters don't care about getting covered with zombie gore. Hacking in on your dead husband is nice and all, but aren't you afraid of getting infected?

BreakABone
11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm a bit annoyed by how the characters don't care about getting covered with zombie gore. Hacking in on your dead husband is nice and all, but aren't you afraid of getting infected?

I could be mistaken, but this hasn't been an airborne virus? I mean they've had zombie brains and guts on them before, and never got infected.

Also agree with Prof, the explanation as to why isn't important at all nor do I think the survivors care, doubt they are looking for a cure.

Teuthida
11-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm with Angrist. They're a bit too reckless. It may not be airborne but with blood and guts flying everywhere there's a good chance you might get some in your mouth or eyes.

Angrist
11-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm with Angrist. Yay! Veggies united!!

So do you think this series could be recut to a 2h movie? I can see that working pretty well, there's a lot of boring stuff.

BreakABone
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Yay! Veggies united!!

So do you think this series could be recut to a 2h movie? I can see that working pretty well, there's a lot of boring stuff.

I think the "boring" stuff is the heart of the series and the comic.

The moments where they attempt to live a normal life in the midst of all the chaos going on around them.

Teuthida
11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Yay! Veggies united!!

Veggies divide!

The comic is extremely episodic with no end in site. It's premise is a response to zombie movies where the characters either die or escape (and go where? TWD shows what happens after a typical zombie movie ends. They just keep living trying to survive.)

And if you think it's boring, just wait until the aliens show up. ;)

Angrist
11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
What about mutant plants? Are they coming any time soon?

Typhoid
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm with Angrist. They're a bit too reckless. It may not be airborne but with blood and guts flying everywhere there's a good chance you might get some in your mouth or eyes.

Maybe they just get caught up in the moment. :ohreilly:

The Germanator
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
It's definitely gotten better since those first two episodes. Looking forward to the finale + 2nd season.

BreakABone
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Seems like they got rid of most all the writing staff

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

Teuthida
12-01-2010, 05:04 AM
What about mutant plants? Are they coming any time soon?

Probably by season 3.

Seems like they got rid of most all the writing staff

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

That's a bit worrisome, with Darabont having wrote the worst episode of the bunch.

Fox 6
12-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Since episode 1 I was wondering what he was going to do with that thing.........

:lolz:

BreakABone
12-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Interesting finale, it really does change some things from the comics, but could just as easily get back on track.

Some good character moments as always.

Professor S
12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
They're still establishing the universe. Basically the trip to the CDC installation was to establish that there are no white knights coming to save the day. Its a shame that's all that it was because I liked the Jenner character. He was far more fleshed out than 90% of the characters still in the group.

Angrist
12-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Since episode 1 I was wondering what he was going to do with that thing.........

:lolz:Hm I've been trying to figure out what you mean for a minute now, but no luck.
Who and what thing he had since episode 1?

Decent episode. Strong ending, but the stuff before that was a bit boring.

I'll definately watch season 2.

Fox 6
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Hm I've been trying to figure out what you mean for a minute now, but no luck.
Who and what thing he had since episode 1?

Decent episode. Strong ending, but the stuff before that was a bit boring.

I'll definately watch season 2.

the grenade. KABOOM! or was it episode 2 where he got it?

Angrist
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
So how did the woman end up with it? I'm confused. I do remember him getting it somewhere, but I was surprised to see the woman have it. I just figured she picked it up somewhere.

Vampyr
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
So how did the woman end up with it? I'm confused. I do remember him getting it somewhere, but I was surprised to see the woman have it. I just figured she picked it up somewhere.

She washed his clothes and found it. It was the episode where they were in the store and they went down into the sewer.

Typhoid
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
She even said "I found this".

Anyways, I thought it was a great episode. I really liked the doctor character. I wished he would have stuck around - although I do enjoy how bleak the finale was from his point of view. I'm also glad they killed off that useless black lady. She was a terrible character who seemed to only be there to fill the "Black lady" role.

Angrist
12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
She washed his clothes and found it. It was the episode where they were in the store and they went down into the sewer.
Aah I remember that now. I think.

But would a grenade shatter bulletproof glass? I thought constant pressure from axes/bullets would work better.
Also, the guy trying with a chair was ridiculous, after the axes didn't work. :-o

Typhoid
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
After talking it over with friends last night, we thought it was pretty obvious what Jenner said to Rick.

(just in case you don't want to read a hunch)
Considering Jenner did blood tests, the secret was probably that Lori was pregnant with Shane's kid. Especially considering at the end of the episode the way Rick just looks at her.

BreakABone
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
After talking it over with friends last night, we thought it was pretty obvious what Jenner said to Rick.

(just in case you don't want to read a hunch)
Considering Jenner did blood tests, the secret was probably that Lori was pregnant with Shane's kid. Especially considering at the end of the episode the way Rick just looks at her.

That's what most people assume because how plays out in the comics.

Typhoid
12-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Oh, does it?
None of us have read the comics.

Fox 6
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Ive read the first trade

KillerGremlin
12-10-2010, 01:54 AM
I still think the kid is the weakest link. What a poor casting choice...

I view this first season as a "pilot season" and think the writing will get much better once they know they have room and time to establish a story and a plot. This season was very rushed, and it seems like they could have spent more time drawing out the story, but instead they kept it moving to presumably keep the viewer's interest. For example, the CDC thing could have been 2 or 3 episodes. If this show was pure drama they could have really built up the character development too...but this is a zombie show, on AMC, so you obviously have to keep the show movin' and the zombies a-chewin'.

This series has a ton of potential, especially since they deviating from the comic by A LOT. I mean just look at what they have done to Shane.

Vampyr
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
All of the kids in this show weird me out. They do things, and other other characters interact with them, in a way that makes them seem much younger than the actor/actress looks. It's pretty weird.

Typhoid
12-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I hate the kid. Hate hate hate hate hate.
He is a terrible actor.

Angrist
12-12-2010, 04:56 PM
He had some bad moments, had some good. I didn't mind him, but he didn't add anything either.

KillerGremlin
12-15-2010, 06:51 PM
He had some bad moments, had some good. I didn't mind him, but he didn't add anything either.

The kid literally becomes the lead character at the latter portion of the comics. That and he kills Shane. Unless they are holding out on the script and waiting to develop the dark little character that he becomes...I just cannot envision him filling the comic's shoes.

Angrist
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
My brother saw it and he hated it. He made me realise how frustratingly silly it is most of the time.
If it had been 12 episodes instead of only 6, he wouldn't have finished watching them.

Teuthida
07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1L1Czx_YNkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fox 6
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
So now that breaking bad is over, this show is picking up again. Given that they have diverted from the source material I have no idea what to expect. How many episodes is this season gonna be?

KillerGremlin
10-14-2011, 04:44 PM
So now that breaking bad is over, this show is picking up again. Given that they have diverted from the source material I have no idea what to expect. How many episodes is this season gonna be?

I'm pretty sure it was picked up for 13 episodes.

I've already lowered my expectations. They have Shane (Jon Bernthal) credited/casted for the whole 2nd season.

Killing Shane is CENTRAL to the comic. It is the only plot point you really need to follow to a tee to still be considered a "Walking Dead" tv show. The fact that they pussied out and don't seem to be going down that path is sad but also fucking ridiculous. The comic isn't a force of great dialog, it's not really a complex or complicated comic. I don't get it. =/

If you don't kill Shane...you downplay Lori and Rick's issues. You lose the emotions during the prison stuff. It really downplays a lot of what makes the comic so good. And so my prediction is we are going to see typical TV-drama bullshit. Mounting tension between Lori, Shane, and Rick. Unspectacular and cliched writing. They could have made the show dark (like how it is supposed to be) but instead they are going to create faux drama.

They have casted Hershel Greene and it looks like the first 6 or 7 episodes will involve the Greene farm and life on the countryside. No mention of stopping in the suburbs....which could have been really creepy and fun.

I dunno, we will have to wait and see. Season 1 was B- or C+ TV for me. They captured the ambiance perfectly, the story not so much.

Angrist
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
But they covered themselves with contagious zombie gore! That's a pretty good story right?!?!

KillerGremlin
10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
But they covered themselves with contagious zombie gore! That's a pretty good story right?!?!

Uggghhhh....don't remind me of that horribly acted episode. That is the type of comic violence that is campy and comicy enough that the show's writers should have cleaned up or just kept out of the TV show.

It's clear that their writing team isn't the best in the business.

KillerGremlin
10-14-2011, 05:19 PM
From the man himself:

KIRKMAN: I will say that some of that came from the fact that we had a six-episode first season. It didn't feel right to get through Shane's story in six episodes and wrap it up. Jon Bernthal is doing such an amazing job with the character that we don't really want to get rid of Shane any time soon. The guy could live forever.

I will say this: I get no small amount of delight from making jokes about killing that guy every time I'm doing a convention or panel with Jon Bernthal. That guy loves being on this show, and I go a little overboard. I'm expecting him to deck me at some point. We'll be on a panel and I'll go, "Keep on lipping off, buddy — we'll be getting rid of you soon!" He's a good sport about it, but I want to keep Shane around to keep bugging Jon Bernthal.
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/03/04/the-walking-dead-season-2-robert-kirkman/

Who knows what motives are behind the decision. :ohreilly: Do I get a reward for making the first Kirkman-George Lucas comparison? I hope it's pie.

Angrist
10-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Hm so when's season 2 starting again?

Fox 6
10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Sunday the 16th

Teuthida
10-16-2011, 10:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/giAQuLntqXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vampyr
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Pretty good episode. The only thing I dislike so far is how completely idiotic the characters can be sometimes.

BreakABone
10-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Pretty good episode. The only thing I dislike so far is how completely idiotic the characters can be sometimes.

I think, in some ways, it just deals with being stuck in a situation where normal rules don't always work.

Like during a character's speech, I actually felt sympathetic towards suicide attempts because, I mean at the end of the day, you are only fighting for your survival in this world. So why not go out on your own terms?

KillerGremlin
10-17-2011, 04:01 AM
An entertaining first episode, I still feel like this show has yet to move out of the C or B-grade level.

I'm mostly referring to some of the amateur hour acting. This stuff is unavoidable in the horror genre, which is probably why many directors go for the horror-comedy route. :D

But they need to tighten some of this stuff up. The Bambi, fuck-me looks were weird. And every scene with T-Dog has suggested that T-Dog deserves his horrible nickname.

I've already complained about plot so I'm just going along for the ride. The zombies and cinematography were good, let's hope they can keep the post-Apocalyptic ride going.

Teuthida
10-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Just waiting for T-Dog to come out and say it's alright if they just call him Theodore or something. Then again the actor's name is IronE...sooo yeah.

Since they're going to the farm in the next ep does that mean they're skipping over Tyreese?

Skill not crazy about the show for the reasons KG mentioned. Can't help but think how awesome it would be with Mad Men or Breaking Bad caliber acting.

Shall stick it out until a certain character shows up. She'll make or break this for me. Not sure if it'll be this season though. Dunno how much they're going to stretch things out.

Vampyr
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I think, in some ways, it just deals with being stuck in a situation where normal rules don't always work.

Like during a character's speech, I actually felt sympathetic towards suicide attempts because, I mean at the end of the day, you are only fighting for your survival in this world. So why not go out on your own terms?

Eh, although that was really bad, and I was cringing during her entire speech, there were other bad parts I was thinking of. Like trying to assemble that gun while the zombie was outside the door, and that dude almost cutting his arm off, and the little girl not waiting on Rick.

It removes a lot of suspense from the show when the characters do things that make me think they deserve to die, rather than continuing to empathize with them.

BreakABone
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Eh, although that was really bad, and I was cringing during her entire speech, there were other bad parts I was thinking of. Like trying to assemble that gun while the zombie was outside the door, and that dude almost cutting his arm off, and the little girl not waiting on Rick.

It removes a lot of suspense from the show when the characters do things that make me think they deserve to die, rather than continuing to empathize with them.

I guess to each their own.

I will agree with you, I thought it was awful that she was trying to assemble the gun while the zombie was in there. Especially since.. you know... she doesn't know how to. :lol:

And the little girl just seemed like an easy plot point, but where the hell could she sneak off to without them tracking her. Even mentioned only one set of tracks so not like she found another person.

KillerGremlin
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I didn't understand the gun assembly scene either; if you have zero clue how to put a gun together, why make the noise. But I let that one slide because the make-up was awesome on the camper zombie, and the screw driver finish was eye-wrenching.

The other scene that no one has mentioned is the scene where they cut open the zombie. The way that Daryl had to do the two-handed knife...hahaha...I was laughing. I actually wonder if that scene was intentionally supposed to bring on some camp/cheese. It definitely had the over-the-top gore of a good B-flick. "It's just a woodchuck," lololol. I'm glad you can basically take a bath in Zombie blood and not become infected.

KillerGremlin
10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Shall stick it out until a certain character shows up. She'll make or break this for me. Not sure if it'll be this season though. Dunno how much they're going to stretch things out.

I heard that she will show up. No Governor though...and so I'm guessing no prison?

KillerGremlin
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Really interesting dichotomy. The community is like, "meh," but a lot of TV Review websites are singing praise. I guess because this is the only zombie show on TV? Or maybe people aren't familiar with the source material?

From Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/comments/lejmk/episode_discussion_s02e01_what_lies_ahead_spoilers/

I really dont understand the "pet the deer" (???) thing at the end. I thought at first they were going to let the boy shoot the deer "right of passage" style. But ... just let him wander up? and pet it? Is that what he was trying to do? Are these people retarded?

The girl was inside the Deer!

And she was shooting her way out!

Zombie trying to break in and get you? I'll just lift you up onto the roof to safety with me. JK, here's a screwdriver.

UNDER THE CARS?! what a great plan!

Maybe if they followed the comic this wouldn't be such a common reaction:
I hope both kids are dead, they are really dragging the show down.

Lots of discussion about the cheesy opening monologue, the church scenes, and filler sequences. And commercials (although I pre-recorded it, fast forward ftw).

And people are hypothesizing that at the CDC the guy whispered to Rick that:
Lori is pregnant. It would make sense.

Meanwhile....
'What Lies Ahead' is an amazing premiere for The Walking Dead: Season Two. I was as worried as anybody else when it was announced that Darabont was no longer showrunner, and convinced we were in store for a less than stellar season.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The-Walking-Dead-Season-2-Premiere-What-Lies-Ahead-Review/9685

"What Lies Ahead" was the perfect set up for season two. There was a nice balance of calm apprehension and full-on zombie fighting that kept the pace from feeling like it dragged on for too long in any moment. The 90-minute episode was worth the wait and it's obvious that all the pulse pounding, breath catching, and heart stopping moments will have viewers craving and clawing for more. Indeed, The Walking Dead is back!
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/10/the-walking-dead-review-what-lies-ahead/

IGN liked it: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/16/talking-walking-dead-s2-ep1

I've seen the first two episodes of the season (produced under Darabont's vision), and so far, the only complaint I have for The Walking Dead season 2 is that they didn't send me more. What lies ahead for the show remains to be seen, but if "What Lies Ahead" the episode is any indication, The Walking Dead may have finally found its stride.
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-walking-dead/the-walking-dead-season-2-prem-42195.aspx

Really interesting split between the nerds and the general public. Now I feel like an asshole for being such a critic and whiner. I'm a fucking whiner, ha. But then like Teuthida said, Breaking Bad is such a good show...so well-acted. And Kirkman's comic really conveys an intense sense of dread. When I read the comic my mouth was open and I was thinking "holllly shit" numerous times. So far the TV show hasn't really made me feel super tense, except for maybe the scene in the house in the suburbs and the roof scene early on in Season 1.

Is this show shaping up to be the next Lost?

Angrist
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Hm, I just sat through the show. I didn't want to form too much of an opinion... some stuff I liked, other I didn't.
Pretty much the same as season 1. Weird story, stupid characters, average acting, decent atmosphere.

Typhoid
10-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I like the show, a lot - still. I spent all day yesterday watching the marathon, then the new episode.

The acting in the show doesn't bother me so much, really. it's a TV show based on a comic book, so going into the show I gave it some leniency based on that alone. I'm not sure why, though. Maybe because I appreciate what they're going for so much that I overlook things I'd rip apart in other shows, and I smoke a lot of drugs.

Anyways, I lol'd at the "Jesus, give me a sign!" / "Oh, alright, I guess I'll get someone to shoot your son while he's chilling with Bambi" thing that went down. I've never read the comics, and I don't know the story - but I've got some hefty assumptions now as to what might happen in the long run because of that.

As for them getting covered in blood and not getting infected; didn't they say you could only get infected by getting a bite, or a scratch? I thought about that, too.

PS: Who the fuck would let their son walk up to a wild buck in the first place? Especially during a zombie apocalypse.

BreakABone
10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I really dont understand the "pet the deer" (???) thing at the end. I thought at first they were going to let the boy shoot the deer "right of passage" style. But ... just let him wander up? and pet it? Is that what he was trying to do? Are these people retarded?

I was under the impression, they were gonna let him gut the deer.

KillerGremlin
10-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I was under the impression, they were gonna let him gut the deer.

I didn't get that impression from the way they shot that scene. That's a Redditor's opinion you quoted, btw. Typhoid had the same thought in his post above yours.

Angrist
10-18-2011, 03:18 AM
At first that's what I thought. That whole scene was just so awkward.

Oh and the 'zombie herd' thing when they hid under the cars just took way too long. 10 minutes long nothing happened. Oh and 2 idiots almost get themselves killed in the stupidest way ever.

Vampyr
10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
PS: Who the fuck would let their son walk up to a wild buck in the first place? Especially during a zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, I was expecting him to get trampled at any moment.

I also did not get the impression they were going to let him gut the deer, considering the super happy look on the kids face just to be looking at it.

BreakABone
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I didn't get that impression from the way they shot that scene. That's a Redditor's opinion you quoted, btw. Typhoid had the same thought in his post above yours.

Shrugs.

I saw Rick and Shane raise their guns to shoot the deer, and I swore Carl pulled out his knife, and they lowered their gun.

Fresh deer meat, would have been awesome.

KillerGremlin
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Shrugs.

I saw Rick and Shane raise their guns to shoot the deer, and I swore Carl pulled out his knife, and they lowered their gun.

Fresh deer meat, would have been awesome.

It was just a confusing sequence because they spent so long phrasing the shot. They focused on the deer for way too long capturing its majestic beauty. Then they kept cutting back and forth between the character's faces. I swear Rick and Shane kept exchanging "fuck me softly...gently...and soothingly" look with each other and the deer. And then Carl began to walk towards the deer.

Now mind you, these are two trained cops from Hillbilly USA. They should know how to hunt deer. Specifically, they should know that you can't just walk up to a deer. A) you'll frighten it, B) that's retarded.

It was just a very odd, drawn out scene that didn't make much sense.

The Germanator
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I feel like I'm with most of you guys on this show. It has it's moments, and it's about zombies, so it's watchable. If there were this many slow moments in a show about something else, I'd probably stop watching.

Again, I just keep comparing it to Mad Men, or Breaking Bad, or Boardwalk Empire, even Homeland the new Showtime show. They're just better produced, written, and more interesting shows.

Typhoid
10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh and the 'zombie herd' thing when they hid under the cars just took way too long. 10 minutes long nothing happened. Oh and 2 idiots almost get themselves killed in the stupidest way ever.

People these days, all about action, action, action. Nobody's mind has any time for suspense anymore. It's sad, really.

Scenes like that is why I like the show. I don't like it for the mutilations or the decapitations, or even because it has zombies in it. I watch it because it's one of the few horror-genre shows that has 'classic' suspenseful moments (That I'm aware of), where there is no dialogue, just anticipation. And who knows, sometimes the anticipation leads to nothing. Take the first episode when Rick's walking down the dark set of stairs exiting the hospital. All you can hear is the guy breathing, and occasionally see him light a match. No zombies. No yelling. No guts or murder. Just anticipation.

I like the show for the "Holy fuck there's zombies, what the fuck do we do? Shut up, be quiet!" rather than the "Holy fuck there's zombies, quick, let's let a million bullets fly and bash all of their heads in!" But don't get me wrong - every once in a while that's a pro.

Again, I just keep comparing it to Mad Men, or Breaking Bad, or Boardwalk Empire, even Homeland the new Showtime show. They're just better produced, written, and more interesting shows.

Personally I don't find that fair. Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, and Generic Showtime Show C aren't based on comic books. Now granted I don't know how well Walking Dead is sticking to the comic book story, but I assume they're probably just presenting the comic book to a wider audience, rather than making a completely new show where the writers have total freedom, like they do in those shows you mentioned. I don't know.

Angrist
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I liked the scene where they were hiding, it was scarier than some slashing action.
But it just took way too long.

The Germanator
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Personally I don't find that fair. Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, and Generic Showtime Show C aren't based on comic books. Now granted I don't know how well Walking Dead is sticking to the comic book story, but I assume they're probably just presenting the comic book to a wider audience, rather than making a completely new show where the writers have total freedom, like they do in those shows you mentioned. I don't know.

I agree with that to an extent, but that doesn't excuse the fact that I feel that many scenes aren't acted well and many entire episodes aren't paced well. If it wasn't going to translate well into the hour-long TV format from a comic book, then they shouldn't have made it.

You've said you've enjoyed the suspense, and obviously the show needs these slower scenes, but I just don't think I care much about the other characters. I feel like Shane and Rick are interesting, but the dynamics between the other main characters doesn't do much for me. And when long stretches are focused on those characters...I dunno, I kind of lose interest.

I kind of think that first episode could have been 45 or 60 minutes rather than 90 and it probably would've been better.

Again, I like the show, just don't really love it...Or understand why it gets the ratings and critical acclaim. It's just okay, not great, but that's just me.

Typhoid
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm with you on some of the acting being sub-par, and some characters being forgettable. It's not like I don't understand how that can ruin a show for people.

I just think because of Breaking Bad, and how good of an actor Brian Cranston is, and how good of a show that turned out to be, peoples expectations for AMC shows is now exceptionally, and ridiculously high. It's not HBO or anything, you know. I just try to give it super leniency in that sense, and just enjoy the ride for what it is.

I am high every time I watch the show though, so not only does that intensify the intense moments, it also intensifies the not-intense moments. I guess that's why I'm more into it.

Edit: But being the first episode, I'm hoping all of the next will get progressively better. The first episode of season 1 wasn't all that great compared to the other episodes. So here's hoping.

Angrist
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
And here I thought the first episode of season 1 was considered the best.

Teuthida
10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Edit: But being the first episode, I'm hoping all of the next will get progressively better.

Well, that was the last ep from Darabont so perhaps there will be a noticeable shift.

Obligatory Robert Kirkman iFanboy interview:

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/hqVegtmlTgI.html" width="480" height="278" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hqVegtmlTgI" style="display:none"></embed>

Funny as always. And shows them scenes from ep four (which we can't see) but I'm intrigued by their reactions.

Fox 6
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Have this PVR'd thought i'd be more excited to watch it. just havent bothered yet :P

Teuthida
10-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Blue meth in the bag of drugs. :)

Just waiting for T-Dog to come out and say it's alright if they just call him Theodore or something.
Yay. Calls himself Theodore in this last ep.

KillerGremlin
10-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Vivian Volkoff is fucking hot! I would J on those Ts.

http://www.laurencohan.com/images/photos/lc_general_2.jpg

This episode was a marked improvement from s2 episode 1. Hershel Greene is a fucking psycho and they set that up nicely.

T-Dog is still annoying, and the search for Sophia is a continual low point for the show. I mean what the fuck...continuity...we are going on several days of her missing. Logically she is dead. Right? Right?

But I mostly want to J on Maggie's Ts. God damn.

Edit: What's with the running zombies. That kind of ruined it for me. Make up your mind, yo. The inconsistencies with the zombies behavior/intelligence/speed is becoming annoying.

Teuthida
10-24-2011, 06:10 AM
On The Talking Dead Kirkman said fresh zombies should have the ability to move quickly and slow down as they decompose more. But yeah, they do act too intelligent a lot of the time.

KillerGremlin
10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
On The Talking Dead Kirkman said fresh zombies should have the ability to move quickly and slow down as they decompose more. But yeah, they do act too intelligent a lot of the time.

Kirkman is the next George Lucas. I swear.

That shit is ANNOYING. Last week they couldn't squarely address why there were dead people in the cars who were not zombies.

Why can't he just be honest and say, "It's for dramatic effect. It's bad writing. It's a TV show and we are creating tension, lighten up."

If the zombies do in fact slow down as they decompose, doesn't that put a time line on their survival/existence? Wouldn't that imply that in 2 weeks all the zombies are going to be slow and survival will be a cake-walk?

Why couldn't he have just said, "the TV show isn't the comic, these zombies run occasionally." Why did he have to come up with a terrible explanation? Arrrrggg.

Otis is fat. He is a likely zombie-dinner candidate. At least according to Rule #1: Cardio
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MID6O3Tdg2s/TfIQQHVEzXI/AAAAAAAAArE/kgzAGvqrHJg/s1600/Rule-1-Cardio_thumb1.png

Teuthida
10-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Probably because most people don't like those type of answers and want to believe those in charge of the show know exactly what they're doing.

I figure making them more faster than in the comic might be a tradeoff for perhaps having less of them to use, especially now with the lower budget. If I recall, it was either the character just stumbling into one (which on screen can just make them look careless) or the sheer number of them making them a threat.

Oh...and answer to the dead bodies...head trauma from car accident. That works...but highly doubt was thought of before filmed.

Anyway it goes, it's Kirkman never went into any explanation on the whys and hows before. The zombies were always just the backdrop. I guess with a weekly show with call in questions, better to just make stuff up on the spot instead of saying he doesn't know or can't say....which he does do a lot.

Meh, Darryl is entertaining at least and the acting overall seemed better this week...might just be because of who got more screen time though.

Vampyr
10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Better than the last episode, but still kind of meh. They took an hour to tell about 5 minutes worth of story.

It did finish strong though, hopefully the pace will quicken from here.

Angrist
10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
It finished strong? The whole episode I was looking forward to some zombie action. All they did was run around and lock themself in... with a small piece of metal!! And they were just watching it happen. I don't think they even looked around to see if there were any walkers behind them.

I enjoyed the episode, but everything's going so slow.

Vampyr
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I mean it finished strong as in something actually happened, potentially setting up a good third episode.

Angrist
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah ok. Let's hope episode 3 will be good. But I'm afraid it will go through the whole thing in 10 minutes and spend the other 30 on some sentimental stuff. (Of which 10 minutes is about finding the girl, yay!)

KillerGremlin
10-25-2011, 01:30 AM
This scene:
http://i.imgur.com/3PSDS.png

Maybe episode 1 was really that crappy, but I thought episode 2 was a marked improvement. Everything is rolling along except for the search for Sophia. That's dragging the show down.

The Germanator
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I thought episode two was much better...Probably partly because it was the standard length. It's also good to get a new dynamic with new characters.

T-Dog! HA! It's just so bad...every line that old man has...no good.

KillerGremlin
10-26-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm trying to not be annoyed by Dale and Andrea....

Dale was a miscast - he belongs in some family sitcom - and the bad lines they give him aren't helping. I guess I can't rag on him too much, his biggest speaking part involved a dialog with T-Dog and talking to the emotional Andrea (just kill yourself you suicidal cunt. You were a strong female lead in the comics...now you're just annoying. And I know, it's the writers fault again for that horrible CDC episode).

People/Kirkman keep saying they want to go in new directions with the TV Show, and add new stories/plot. There are sooooooo many bad ass old guys out there who can act. Why couldn't they have casted a good actor for Dale and given him a more integral role?

Last night I sat through Romero's zombie-western(ish) Survival of the Dead. This guy (Kenneth Welsh) made the movie watchable:

http://www.horrorphile.net/images/survival-of-the-dead-kenneth-welsh1.jpg

I mean listen to him talk about acting:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f2R9cB4zC-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That guy is a boss. There are sooooooo many kick ass old guys in Hollywood. Guys who are Clint Eastwood-y or whatever. I don't know how they casted Dale, but it was a shit decision.

Sorry guy who is playing Dale, you belong on Everybody Loves Raymond, not a zombie-apocalypse TV show.

Typhoid
10-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Man, some of you guys are being way too harsh on the show, in my opinion. If theres a human corpse in a car in the comic you'd pay it no mind, but since it's in the show it's all "What the hell, why arent these people zombies!". Maybe they didn't get bit. Maybe they died in a car accident involving all of those cars plugging up the highway. It's not like death by zombie is the only way people can die in this show.

About the zombies being fast - so what. He can do what he wants. Zombies aren't real. He can make them fly if he wants. He can give them all tophats. And if he does, that will then become fact in his universe. Vampires used to be evil terrorizing figures, then suave womanizers, then bad metrosexual actors. The cycle of imaginary monsters' behaviour usually changes from one fictional story to the next fictional story. Besides, not only are slow zombies boring, it's been raped to death. And, they're not really zombie zombies anyways.

I don't mind Dale, the character. I figured they were going for the "Everyone can survive, even nice old grandpa-types" aspect, and maybe picked a less badass dude just because it would make people care more about the character if he was a nice old man who attempts to keep spirits up rather than some grizzled old cunt who takes pleasure in decapitating infected human beings.

I think all the actors are pretty decent at their jobs. They seem like believable real people to me, most of the time. If they were hell-bent on destroying zombies (immediately from day 1) that would stretch it a little far.

I do hate the character of Andrea though. But i'm assuming/hoping they're weakening her way down to have some mega moment that will just beef that chick up into some heartless badass killer.

KillerGremlin
10-28-2011, 01:11 AM
I can't wait to see Dale balls deep in Andrea.

KillerGremlin
10-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Man. At first I was like "yesssssssssss" but then I was like "nooooooooo."

But you have to think they are moving forward with axing him, right?

Maggie is insanely hot. If I was Glenn I would be working on repopulating the planet pronto, because how many opportunities do you have to bang hot actress-type girls in the apocalypse?

That's a veiled criticism. She is way too hot. Or maybe not. I've met some hot farmer girls, and girls from Kentucky are fucking crazy. All that religion and conservative stuff creates a closet freak environment. I mean these are girls that shove their hands up a horses' ass, they've seen shit and farm animals so nothing scares them. And if you have the fineness to milk a cow...

This episode actually ascended to B+ status! The first episode was craptastic and gets a D+. Episode 2 was C- swill. So if the show keeps this up we might actually get an A-quality episode before the season wraps up.

Angrist
10-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.

Edit2: Ok, onto the rest of the episode. The last minutes were good, but all the stuff before that was so boring. And pointless.
AND THEY'RE STILL LOOKING FOR THE GIRL.

Teuthida
10-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Was just skimming through the comics. Looks like Shane has become a mix of Tyreese plus Rick's dark side. I wonder if it's hindering Rick's development since he comes close to killing Otis in the comic. Shane seems to be doing his dirty work. Shame about Otis. I like that actor.

Speaking of Maggie, here's how her talk with Glen happens in the comic:
http://i.imgur.com/g2zO4.jpg Heh, too bad. Guess gonna stretch things out.

But yeah, the show is getting better.

Vampyr
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.

Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.

Teuthida
10-31-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/which-character-are-you

I got T-Dog.

In another life you were strong, and your sense of right and wrong is still a core part of who you are.
But the apocalypse has left you less sure of yourself; guilt over past actions has forced you to second-guess the decisions you make.

Angrist
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.It might have been the rip then. Weird, I've never had that problem before.

Vampyr
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I really liked last nights episode. The pace of the show is still pretty slow, but it's picking up a little bit.

Can't stand Andrea's character:

Dale : " Do you forgive me?"
Andrea : "...I'm trying to."

Are you kidding me? *sigh*

Rick's "he talked about the deer" speech probably could have been written better.

I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.

To be fair though, he actually offered to stay and hold off the zombies while Otis got away.

KillerGremlin
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
I've been meaning to reread the comics. I read 30 issues or so last winter before I got distracted with school. I have a feeling it's just gonna bug me.

So far none of the characters have really been fleshed out in terms of feelings, motivations, and their past. They all act like idiots, are overly dramatic. And right now in the TV Show Dale, Andrea, Carl, Carol, Sophia, Lori, and Shane are all characters that suck and I don't care if they die. The big plot devices to move the episode forward this season have been finding Sophia and Carl being shot. Rick's behaviors have become caricatures, and I just see forced drama and bad writing, not real character development.

So having said all that, Shane is actually being made into a real sonofabitch and I at least appreciate that step forward. His acting is still way over-the-top (scene outside the house by the truck when he comes back home without Otis). But Shane is the first character to actually have that "dark tone" from the comic book, because EVERYTHING ELSE in the show so far has been a sunny walk in the park.

I've been to a few messages boards/Reddit and people are freaking out about Shane. Like "OMG I can't believe he did that, that's the most crazy thing I've ever seen" freaking out. o_O

If the general public reaction to Shane killing Otis (remember, Rule #1 Cardio) is to freak out, then how would the general public react to Lori and the baby being massacred? This show is never going to go full dark. :(

Typhoid
10-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.

I thought he shaved his head because Otis ripped a chunk of his hair out, and he didn't want anyone to get wise to the fact he shot him and left him for the zombies so he could get away. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I mean that just as a comment and not as an "are you suuuuuuuure?.

Also, I think the sound quality thing is solely the rip you got, Angrist.

This episode was definitely one of the better ones, I thought. I like what's becoming of Shane's character. Seems like he's slowly slipping into insanity - or something. At the end of this episode it gave me a thought that Shane would be the Antagonist to Rick sometime soon. Maybe by the end of the season. Then again he does seem to have totally wanted Rick and Rick's son alive, despite the intense desire to bang his wife. Who wouldn't. Chicks a babe.

I didn't find anything wrong with the deer speech. Well, it was sort of like a comment, but still. I thought it was pretty touching in a completely-cheesy way. The innocence of children, and all. Zombie apocolypse is going on all around him, kid gets shot and is close to dying, he's seen people get torn apart by the re-animated corpses of people- and the first thing he talks about is how pretty a deer was? Innocence I tells ya.

If I can ask without seeming too douchey for constantly critiquing other people's opinions (because I really don't do it with the intention of douchedom, but with the intention of conversation about why your opinions on why certain things are so bad, are so bad to you); but what seemed over-the-top to you about Shane when he got back and was standing at the truck? The dude essentially killed an innocent man, and had to stand there and watch everyone's reaction to having that dude be dead and torn apart by zombies. It's not like [Shane's actor] was wimpering and had saliva dripping from his lips as he made some moaning sound while helplessly flailing his arms or something. He wasn't pandering to the camera or breaking any fourth wall. The way he talked wasn't very theatric at all.

*joint break*

I honestly don't find the acting on the show terrible at all. I have to figure that some (especially real) people would lose a little of their personalities when a catastrophic event takes place, while others (forget name, Merle's brother/Glen) assumedly have their personality remain unchanged (the slightly jovial attitude, while not being a complete comedian) because they're more or less mentally prepared for the situation by having some type of survival training, or training in general. And don't give me a "Glen doesn't have training." The kid knew the city streets so he felt totally comfortable. Now that they're away from what he knows, I'm noticing his character looking like he's feeling more and more upset with the situation as time passes.

To me Andrea just looks like a chick in complete and utter shock. When my grandpa died a couple weeks ago that's how my dad was more or less. Less of the zombie aspect. But if you've seen anyone in total shock before, they are pretty melodramatic at times. And usually somber, quiet, and highly easy to agitate. The character of Andrea just watched her sister die, then had to put a bullet through her head, decided to kill herself, then was forced to give up that option because of some stubborn old man she doesn't even know. Is the character of Andrea not allowed to be sad? Do you want her and all other characters to be emotionless soulless dickheads who don't think about repercussions or the past? Can these characters not have flaws, break down, get scared, worried, and be extremely depressed? When faced with a traumatic situation, some people just break. Some become stronger people. Some do both.

Are we (as collective fans) so jaded by what zombie shows/movies usually are that when there are characters that act like real people it seems far-fetched to us? Does the collective populace just want another mindless zombie show that is compiled of 5 minutes of finding zombies, and 40 minutes of murder with 10 minutes of loud dialogue in between about finding and killing zombies? Where's the suspense or character building in that.

Anyways, black out your comic-shit. Some of us (probably only me) haven't read them. Granted they might not stick to it page-by-page, but still man, come on.

Vampyr
10-31-2011, 04:57 PM
I thought he shaved his head because Otis ripped a chunk of his hair out, and he didn't want anyone to get wise to the fact he shot him and left him for the zombies so he could get away. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I mean that just as a comment and not as an "are you suuuuuuuure?.

Yeah, that was definitely the reason he did it, I was just commenting on the other symbolism there. It was like a turning point for his character, with the look he was giving the mirror and how he had just changed his appearance - like he was morally and now physically not the same person any more.

I haven't had a problem with most of the acting either. I think Carl is pretty terrible, and Andrea has plenty of bad moments, but everyone else is doing okay. I even think Dale is pretty believable.

My problem with Andrea isn't that she is sad, it's that she acts completely idiotic, mostly in her attitude towards Dale. I mean, I can understand some irrational anger after she tried to kill herself, but going so far as to have him apologize and then act like there's actually something for her to forgive him for? :ohreilly:

Typhoid
10-31-2011, 04:59 PM
mean, I can understand some irrational anger after she tried to kill herself, but going so far as to have him apologize and then act like there's actually something for her to forgive him for?

Well, she even said why she was mad at him. She lost everything, and had nothing to live form. She wanted to die on her terms, and not be ripped apart by zombies, and he took that choice away from her by saying he'd stay if she stays. Because she knew he didn't want to die, he just didn't want to be alone.

KillerGremlin
11-01-2011, 05:56 AM
What the fuck Otis, have you learned nothing?
http://i.imgur.com/XykfJ.jpg

You'd think after the deer fiasco, the dumbass would stop pointing his gun at other living people.

Typhoid, I think your opinion is 100% valid, but I still feel like the acting has been....I dunno. Not great?

Also, does anyone else think Lori is like anorexic thin? Maybe her body isn't my type. I go for the super thin chicks sometimes, but in my opinion she needs more cushion for the pushin'.

The Walking Dead is all about evil people, not evil zombies. I don't want a show that is 50 minutes of killing zombies. Like I said, I'm happy that they are finally pushing for something dark with Shane.

Season 1, Episode 1 was the darkest episode. The whole house scene with Morgan and Duane was what I wanted from the show. That episode was dark, claustrophobic, and left you with a sense of slow, impending doom. I wish they would have gone back to the suburbs before going to the farm, because the small set pieces have worked well for the show.

The whole city sequence and the current group is pretty sub-par. Episode 2 was solid with the tank scene and the horse. But the Merle crap was annoying. The Grand Theft Walking Dead with the old people made no sense and didn't remotely fit in the context of the universe. And the Ed-Shane stuff was dull.

So here is a comic book, dark as they come where "no one is safe," and a TV show that starts off with great expectations after Episode 1 of Season 1 and then turns into something pretty standard. If anything, The Walking Dead is on par with your average zombie flicks. It hasn't tapped any dark subjects like Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later.

Sophia has been a misstep in Season 2, but this week's episode is a good step forward. I honestly think this season is looking up...

I do encourage you to check out the comics. You don't even need to read up to issue 90. You can stop after the prison. They introduce a guy...the Governor. The guy made #86 on IGN's top 100 comic book villain list.

http://comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/86.html

Zombies, the apocalypse, and surviving...are all the backdrop to the cold hard reality. The cold hard reality that humans are way more terrifying than flesh eating undead. And that we are mindless consumerists, lol (thanks Romero). I don't get that impression so much with the show so far. The hanging tree zombie scene...was it dark? To me, not really. It felt more like Romero-comedy-camp. I guess the Walking Dead writers forced an "epiphany moment" out of that scene for Andrea. But I wasn't all that impressed. (plus, the entire time I was wondering if that was the same tent they found earlier. And if it was, how did a new zombie get in the tree? And if that was a new tent they found, why didn't the explore the inside of the tent and around the campsite? This inconsistent writing is rampant and it starts to weigh heavy on you after a while).

But the good, dark, nitty-gritty stuff is looking up. We got Shane, Hershel, and mutant well-zombies based on the preview of the next episode. Should be good.

Typhoid
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I do encourage you to check out the comics. You don't even need to read up to issue 90.

I think right here is why there's so much bias against the show. There's been what, like....11 episodes on TV? Where as if the comic was a show, it'd have been going on for like 6-7 years.

I think one of the main things is that comic books are aimed at a pretty niche market, where as TV is generally aimed at everyone. Houswives, old people, that type of thing. For example, my mom absolutely loves the Walking Dead. It's her favourite show that's on right now. She loves the intensity of it, and the seeming bleakness in all of the characters. She's never even had a negative thing to say about the show. And I think that right there is the divide in the audience. You're watching a not-carbon-copy remake, she's watching an original show. she has absolutely no idea it was a thing before this show.

The hanging tree zombie scene...was it dark? To me, not really.

I'm not sure, but did you miss the point of that scene, though? (I always forget his name), Merle's brother was totally cool with leaving the dude there, where Andrea felt sympathy for the human being behind the zombie who killed himself to escape the world not only because A) she wants to kill herself and escape the world and B) her sister was a zombie. The scene definitely wasn't "dark", but it was more of a character realization moment. I think Andrea realized that if she wants to kill herself, that's how she's going to end up. Maybe. I don't know.

(plus, the entire time I was wondering if that was the same tent they found earlier. And if it was, how did a new zombie get in the tree? And if that was a new tent they found, why didn't the explore the inside of the tent and around the campsite? This inconsistent writing is rampant and it starts to weigh heavy on you after a while).

The zombie didn't hang himself...the human being hung himself. There is aneasy possibility that the human could have been away from the tent at the time (if it was the same one, which I'm totally sure it wasn't anyhow) - but yeah - the zombie didn't get hung, the human dude hung humself, and zombies came by and ate his legs as he hung there, thusly turning him into a zombie.

Personally, I think you should stop expecting it to be like the comics. Didn't they already say they were going to make it different? That right there means that you (general) should immediately stop the comparisons. I've never heard anyone compare the Star Wars episode 1 book to the Star Wars episode 1 movie, because they're different things - or even any Batman cartoons/comics to Batman movies. "In episode 42 Robin was there to fight the joker, but in the dark knight where the fuck was Robin? THIS MOVIE IS SHIT. HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HES DOING. HOW DARE HE DIFFER FROM WHAT I WAS PREVIOUSLY USED TO!!" ;)

Again, I just feel like I need to defend the show, I've seen soooo many people be needlessly harsh on it just because it's either not what they expected from what they created in their mind while reading the comics, or because they're far ahead in the comics, and the differences in canon are maybe freaking people out. I don't mean on this site alone. I just see so much negative feedback for the show, and it pisses me off, because there comes a point where too much negative feedback typically leads to a show getting cancelled - and I really want to see this shit through to the end. With the show, if the show gets cancelled, I won't read the comics, because if there are actually large differences between them, I won't really consider them the same Universe.

The Germanator
11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I enjoy reading Grantland's recaps of the episodes. This one points on some of the problems I have with the show maybe more eloquently than I have the time to do.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/36530/the-walking-dead-recap-zombie-high

Professor S
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I enjoy the show, but I think some of the frustration people have with it is not that it has diverged so much from the book, but that it's needlessly diverged. The greatest draw of the series is that people are the real danger, and that anyone can die at any time. So far the zombies are FAR more dangerous (I hate running/smart zombies), and I'm not worried that anyone core to the show will die! Otis just got it, but who the fuck was he? So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.

T-Dogg... I'm looking at you.

KillerGremlin
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
I agree with Prof S 100%.

I want to add that in the absence of everyone's vulnerability, the show has lost its dark tone/theme.

The comic was full of love and drama between characters, and we see the TV show heading in that direction. But the impact of two characters getting together in the comic is that it was all the more worse when one of those characters died.

Typhoid, I don't have much to disagree with except to say we simply have different opinions and expectations. Maybe take comfort that I enjoyed episode 3 better than everything else in Season 2 so far.

But anything else I can add has been touched on by that awesome link that Germy posted and by Prof S' comment.

Typhoid
11-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Otis just got it, but who the fuck was he? So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.

Well based on what others have said (about people being the real evil), I now believe Otis was simply a tool for the transition.

Angrist
11-03-2011, 03:47 AM
So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.

T-Dogg... I'm looking at you.Wait, somebody cares about T-Dawg? I think I missed something here. He's the most boring character of the show.

What I don't like is all the stupid random stuff people do. Like Dale who goes looking for 2 abled people in the middle of the night. By walking through car-wrecks... How stupid is that?
And then the scene doesn't go anywhere. Suddenly he's back at the trailer again as if nothing happened. I think they're trying to fill up some minutes.

Ok what was the little girls name? Because if they find her dead, I don't think I'll remember what she looked like. She's been missing for 3 episode, how do they expect us to still care about her? It's like the actor couldn't miss school any longer and they're waiting for her christmas break. :mad:

Typhoid
11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
She's been missing for 3 episode, how do they expect us to still care about her?

Dun dun dunnnnnnn, maybe that's the point.
World's gone to shit, someone is missing, how long do you spend looking for one person. Making it take a lot of episodes creates an emotional divide between caring for that little girl, and wanting her to die so you (as a viewer) can move the fuck on.

Fox 6
11-05-2011, 06:10 PM
The zombie didn't hang himself...the human being hung himself. There is aneasy possibility that the human could have been away from the tent at the time (if it was the same one, which I'm totally sure it wasn't anyhow) - but yeah - the zombie didn't get hung, the human dude hung humself, and zombies came by and ate his legs as he hung there, thusly turning him into a zombie.

I think you got a little mixed up there. The sign on the tree read "Got bit, fever hit, decided to quit" So he realized he had been bitten and then wanted to kill himself. But my question is, if he knew what happens when you get bit why didnt he blow his head of? Like the redneck guy points out.

Professor S
11-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Not everyone has a gun.

Fox 6
11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Not everyone has a gun.

This is tha 'Merican south. Errebuddy gots guns

Typhoid
11-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I think you got a little mixed up there. The sign on the tree read "Got bit, fever hit, decided to quit" So he realized he had been bitten and then wanted to kill himself.

Well, he still defiinitely wasn't a zombie when he hung himself. ;)

But my question is, if he knew what happens when you get bit why didnt he blow his head of? Like the redneck guy points out.

Meh, maybe he didn't know. Maybe he just knew he started feeling insane, sick, and had an affinity for human flesh, and thought "Fuck this shit." :ohreilly:

Professor S
11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
This is tha 'Merican south. Errebuddy gots guns

Coming from a Canadian... do southerners all wear cowboy hats as well? :D

Fox 6
11-06-2011, 08:35 PM

not all of em. only the though hombres, or the queers.........

BreakABone
11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Sometimes not the brightest group.

And Glenn got him some! And somehow the scene was more subtle than the comic version.

KillerGremlin
11-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Maggie Green side boob was fap-worthy.

This episode was a step up again...but the whole well scene smacked of SHEER retarded. Seriously, how dumb is this group?

KillerGremlin
11-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Oh. And as someone from the Midwest who has been on a REAL FARM, let me say that you cannot see diddly fuck out in the middle of a field at night. I don't understand why Lori went into a field to piss on a stick. Why not do that in the privacy of a bathroom...with a toilet...and a door that locks.

The writing on this show is really fucking awful.

But I'm glad the new episode was a continuing improvement, minus some more forced drama/really poor decisions by the main characters.

Angrist
11-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I decided for once not to comment on the show. Just know that I enjoy it just enough to keep watching.

Professor S
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I decided for once not to comment on the show. Just know that I enjoy it just enough to keep watching.

This. So far the concept is what is keeping me going, and my curiosity to see how the series differs from the comics. But I'm starting to lose my patience with what I believe is he series' need to put gore and zombies in front of the characters. The well sequence could have been accomplished in one segment. I feel like they are needlessly trying to stretch out the plot and it is lacking any of the page-turning genuine shocks from the books.

Typhoid
11-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Only in Alberta. I wish that was actually a joke.

I feel like they are needlessly trying to stretch out the plot and it is lacking any of the page-turning genuine shocks from the books.

That's definitely a possibility. It's not like there haven't been shows that are guilty of dragging on scenes to fill time. :ohreilly:

Last episode wasn't my favourite, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

KillerGremlin
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been following Reddit's /r/TheWalkingDead subreddit. Lots of fans complaining about the same stuff we are, and lots of comments like:

"If you complain so much, why do you keep watching the show!"

The obvious answer is that I've read the comics, and I'm heavily invested in The Walking Dead mythology. I'm a super fan. But there is another reason.

This was my epiphany last night:

Part of the reason why I am watching the show is because I want to be here when the Titanic sinks. There is a sadistic level of enjoyment I get from watching really bad writing. I also get some laughs too. Unintentional comedy FTW.

I'm with Prof S in that I have a lot of curiosity as to where they are going...morbid, morbid curiosity.

I think it is human nature to want to watch destruction. The 9 o'clock news, Nascar, destruction derbys, the X-games, war, weird porn like the pain Olympics, and bad writing. Eh?

Angrist
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Part of the reason why I am watching the show is because I want to be here when the Titanic sinks. There is a sadistic level of enjoyment I get from watching really bad writing. I also get some laughs too. Unintentional comedy FTW.For a while I felt like that with Terran Nova. But then I realized I wasn't only wasting my time, I made my day worse by watching the show.

Vampyr
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I still watch it because I think it's a good show and enjoyable. I have my complaints, but I still think it's one of the better things on TV right now.

Plus it's zombies.

KillerGremlin
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
It definitely has good things going for it.

Humor: dangling the Asian kid in the well.
Sexy: Sideboob, peeing on stick
Well-rounded cast: Asian delivery guy, black guy named T-Dawg, Nazi rednecks

and zombies!

I like the Hershel Green convo between Rick and Hershel this episode. And did anyone see the shot where they cut to the barn? I think some crazy stuff is going to go down, and they are already setting Hershel up to be a nutter.

Typhoid
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I think he eats people.
or slave labour or something. Zombie labour. I think the dude's fucked up though. I've always thought that, he sort of seems too good to be true. Then again the dude could just really love Jesus. That barn could just be a church.

Angrist
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
That would be awesome, but I think they're going for the boring option here. He's just a friendly old guy who likes his privacy.

Vampyr
11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
That would be awesome, but I think they're going for the boring option here. He's just a friendly old guy who likes his privacy.

ಠ_ಠ

BreakABone
11-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, we find out about the barn... well if you haven't read the comics.

This was a good ep, mostly because it focused on the best character of the show, IMO.

And.. yeah we have some dumb folks

KillerGremlin
11-14-2011, 03:34 AM
If they kill Daryl I'm pretty sure I'm done with the show. Rick continues to suck at acting, and the Rick-Lori-Shane drama is so over the top it borders on Telenovela Soap Opera.

It shouldn't really be a surprise though. Norman Reedus made Boondock Saints enjoyable. His resume includes acting in an over-the-top role and making it funny, serious, and believable. He is the only character on the Walking Dead who isn't totally forcing the cheese, going way over the top, or sucking ass. I enjoy his acting, his character, and his time on screen.

In my honest opinion, Daryl has filled Rick's role on the TV show. In the comic, Rick had hallucinations and spiritual epiphanys. He saw darkness but he was a real survivor.

In the TV show...Rick is a punk ass, whiny BITCH. In the words of Jesse Pinkman...haha. Seriously though. So far Rick's character is a vehicle for forced drama. He is an obnoxious, archetype character. The writers have basically written Rick into a corner and I don't know if they will be able to un-fuck him.

I don't find Rick's character remotely believable...or enjoyable to watch...or anything like the comic character. So why is he in the TV show again?

What I liked:

--> The Post-Apocalyptic intro

--> Maggie is so hot. So hot. That short hair...T&A...holy crap. I would do things to her illegal in most Mormon states.

--> The barn. What is that? The first interesting plot point this season? Yay!

--> Hershel vs. everyone.

--> Hershel is psycho. They've done a good job with his character. I guess the writers occasionally hit the right note....

--> Daryl. I love Daryl.

--> Merle. This was brilliant. Genius. I love the ambiguity too...like he could be alive (99% unlikely since he had both hands...) but he is probably a crazy hallucination. But you have to think he is still alive based on the house scene from last episode.

What was bad:

--> The Intro was really fucking dark. This is not the first time too. The Otis/Shane scenes were very dark. They need to get better lighting people. I know they cut the funding on the show, but they shouldn't do dark scenes if the lighting is going to suck.

--> The intro scene was clearly the same highway scene from the last few episodes. Again, I get the budget issues...but I had a hard time suspending disbelief.

--> Who the fuck is the new guy helping them out? Where did he come from? Oh, it's Jimmy! Well we better clear that with Hershel. /eyeroll

--> Sophia - the search for really boring TV continues...now with dramatic music and intense dialog between Rick and Shane! And fucking snakes! Sophia has to be the worst plot point ever. It's sad that Shane is the only character preaching common sense. There is a 99% chance she is dead. If she isn't dead, it's not worth saving her because she already proved that she is a stupid character who is too stupid to just chill under a car. If not now, she will certainly fall to Darwin soon.

--> Dale: "Jesus, Glenn! What were you thinking."
Glenn: "I have a penis." or "Have you seen Maggie?" or "Dude you're going to be banging Andrea in 4 episodes, chill out."

Well, that's what I would have said.

--> When did Andrea get a gun? Why is she such a dumb cunt? Can someone shoot her in the face? Jeez.
First rule of gun training - DON'T POINT AT THINGS UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO DIE

This is why we don't give civilian fuck-wits a firearm. That's like zombie rule number 344. I'm keeping track for the real zombie Apocalypse.

To elaborate on this dumb-fuckery, why was a gun used in the first place? It's a single walker, you have pitchforks and stuff. And we already established that the walkers are attracted to sound. Why would you risk firing a gun and making all that noise?

I assume this is just really bad writing. Really bad. Like...is this a FOX TV show bad.

--> "niggers and democrats." Seriously, can we fire the writers again?

CONCLUSION

Final episode grade: B

Conclusion: I enjoyed Daryl, Hershel, and the closing sequence. I feel like the plot moved a little bit, but not enough to warrant 42 minutes of TV Show. Rick, who is central to the comic, has become an obnoxious whiny bitch character. The Rick-Shane-Lori drama continues to border on 11am Soap.

KillerGremlin
11-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Oh...final thought. While I liked the intro, did anyone else wonder about the napalming? I don't recall a government contingency plan, and far as I could tell Atlanta was intact, the 'burbs where Rick woke up was intact, the CDC was intact....so what did they napalm?

:ohreilly: :ohreilly: :ohreilly:

I've come to terms with the fact that the writers for this show suck. So I expect a certain amount of bad writing per episode. But yeah. I'm more concerned that I hate the Rick character and want to see him eaten by 14 zombies. It isn't supposed to go down like that!!!

Professor S
11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
I really liked last night's episode, and it was huge improvement over previous eps. They're finally moving into the psychotic meat and potatoes of the series and not just playing with zombies and gore. I also liked the fact that Shane confronted Rick about spending so much time searching for the girl. I don't think that they'll kill off Daryl, but considering his alienation from the group, Merle hallucinations, and the fact that people he's helped save just shot him in the face... I think there is a good chance he might turn on the group after a while. Also, I know a lot of you are waiting for Michonne... but I think Daryl might be this show's Michonne. Replace the samurai sword with a crossbow and he is the group's zombie killing badass.

As for there being unreasonable decisions being made by characters, well, they're stuck in the middle of an unreasonable situation so I'm willing to let a lot of that slide, especially when they address it in the story.

Overall I think they finally have the story back on track. I'm just wondering when zombie Otis shows up with bullet holes in him... :D

Teuthida
11-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Merle. This was brilliant. Genius. I love the ambiguity too...like he could be alive (99% unlikely since he had both hands...) but he is probably a crazy hallucination. But you have to think he is still alive based on the house scene from last episode.

I really thought that since they made it a point to show both his hands twice, the third time we saw him Darryl would assume he was a hallucination until we see one of his hands missing.

BreakABone
11-14-2011, 01:49 PM
I find it funny that last night was one of the best episodes, but based on a character and a scenario not presented in the books.

Professor S
11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I find it funny that last night was one of the best episodes, but based on a character and a scenario not presented in the books.

And yet the themes of the ep followed the book more closely than anything we've seen to date, IMO.

KillerGremlin
11-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Overall I think they finally have the story back on track. I'm just wondering when zombie Otis shows up with bullet holes in him... :D

You should send this to the directors/writers...I don't think they are smart enough to go down that path. Would be effing brilliant though.

The tone has finally taken that much needed turn towards the dark. We haven't seen anything remotely dark since Days Gone Bye. Or the Season 1 premier. The show moved towards dark with Shane and Otis. Overall I agree...it seems the show is "back on track" or on pace for something good.

I'm still curious how they are going to integrate Rick back into a central character role. And I believe they said no Governor this Season...but right now I am 100% sure that Merle and Daryl would be horrible roles for the Governor.

I still think Michonne shows up, even if Daryl has elements of her.

Apparently AMC has really raped the show's budget. I find this ironic, because people are using that as an excuse for some of the shoddy writing. BaB thinks the irony is that the last episode focused on Daryl, a character not in the comic. I think that the real irony is that the best scene in the entire second season 2 cost peanuts. I can't imagine they spent much to shoot the Daryl cliff scene.

Proof that you can make kick ass character drama on a short budget. "Bottle Episodes" as they are called are common in TV.

Typhoid
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
As for there being unreasonable decisions being made by characters, well, they're stuck in the middle of an unreasonable situation so I'm willing to let a lot of that slide, especially when they address it in the story.

100% agree.

I still think the show is great.
I still have not read the comics and therefore have not had my mind tainted by thinking I am 7 years in the future of a story that isn't connected to the comic version. :p

I have a feeling Daryl is going to kill Merle when he finally sees him under the assumption that he's a walker. I noticed they made a solid point to always show fake-Merle with both hands, so I think at the end of one episode, he's just going to kill him, and the reveal will happen as the camera pans out or something cliche like that.

Anyways, I like Rick. He's a good actor at playing a broken man. Fuck you guys. :lolz:

Angrist
11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, Daryl really had a hard time trying to fall off that horse. Did anyone else notice hows unrealistic that looked? He basically stepped off it.

KillerGremlin
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow, Daryl really had a hard time trying to fall off that horse. Did anyone else notice hows unrealistic that looked? He basically stepped off it.

I guess you could say he didn't...

Reeve the horse.

Typhoid
11-16-2011, 03:34 PM
"You can't fall off that horse!"

KillerGremlin
11-21-2011, 04:22 AM
New episode is back-on-track good, A- TV good, "I could enjoy this series good."

So instead of bitching about the show, I'm gonna bitch about AMC.

After next week's episode, the show is going on a "mid-season" hiatus until February. Next week is the "mid-season finale." That is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever seen. All this is going to do is create a schism for viewers.

When February roles around, people are going to be back watching other TV shows.

Apparently this all has a bit to do with Frank Darabont being fired, and AMC slashing The Walking Dead's budget. I'm curious how you all feel about that....since most other cable TV shows role through the series without blue balling the fuck out of viewers.

Finally, episodes 6 and 7 were leaked so tonight's episode went as according to the leak. Don't read if you don't want 7 spoiled:

Sophia is a walker...in the barn...Rick kills her. Yeah.

Edit: I'm still waiting for that progressive, pro-abortion TV show. Juno flaked. Walking Dead flaked. Seems like Rick and Hershel have more in common than they think. Common sense says in a zombie apocalypse....never mind.

Teuthida
11-21-2011, 07:23 AM
I do hate when they break up seasons (the last season of Doctor Who had a mid-season finale as well), but as you stated, they probably have reasons for it. At least it wasn't like Young Justice where I had to wait six months between episodes nine and ten...and there was no heads up either. And the alternative would have been a longer wait for this season to have begun. Look at Mad Men.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed the ep.

Professor S
11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Edit: I'm still waiting for that progressive, pro-abortion TV show. Juno flaked. Walking Dead flaked.

Keep waiting for it, because I doubt it will ever happen. It's very hard for the majority of people to be "pro-abortion", because that implies an inherent value to the act. At the very best abortion destroys a potential life, and while this may be necessary at times, it's hardly something to celebrate or promote and most people would be very disturbed at the attempt.

As for "flaking", aborting a child in the face of a zombie apocalypse would be the worst thing you could do, because the continuation of life is the only hope against a world filled with death. If you abort a child in those situations it is the same as giving up completely. Might as well eat a bullet at that point.

Angrist
11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I thought the episode was frustrating and boring. Here's the 16-word summary: a bunch of secrets are discovered and people find new stupid ways to almost get killed.

The worst part is that they're still sitting in 1 place. I think in last season there were maybe 2 episodes in the same place, but now they've been in the same spot for almost the whole season.

I feel like the story so far could have been told in 3 episodes instead of 6.

BreakABone
11-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I thought the episode was frustrating and boring. Here's the 16-word summary: a bunch of secrets are discovered and people find new stupid ways to almost get killed.

The worst part is that they're still sitting in 1 place. I think in last season there were maybe 2 episodes in the same place, but now they've been in the same spot for almost the whole season.

I feel like the story so far could have been told in 3 episodes instead of 6.

Well, I think the second part is an odd complaint.
I mean the entire point of their "journey" is/was to find a safe haven. They've made it a point that a lot of people are settling into Hershel's farm because they are accustomed to living a relatively normal life again.

Fox 6
11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
The more I watch, the more Andrea annoys me. I'm at the point where I wouldn't care if she offed herself. I'm struggling to find a character that I enjoy watching and care what happens to them. Also the whole Sophia thing just bores me.

Typhoid
11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I liked the last episode. I like Shane's (hopeful) insanity. I hope his insanity soon leads to Andrea's death. I was really hoping he'd shoot her when he said "I've got a lead on the girl". The whole time I was just thinking "Pleeeease be is Otis."

I also didn't know there was a mid-season break. Autumn/Winter breaks in shows really piss me off, but I understand why they do it. I just want to watch my goddamn stories.

I mean the entire point of their "journey" is/was to find a safe haven. They've made it a point that a lot of people are settling into Hershel's farm because they are accustomed to living a relatively normal life again.

100% agree. It's not a show about a group of people going on a journey. It's about a group of people trying to survive.

PS: Deep down I really don't think Shane is insane. I think he'll literally just do anything to keep Carl alive, is all.

Angrist
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Oh, 1 more thing: Dale is getting on my nerves. I wonder if the actor isn't growing tired of playing the same scene over and over again, but with different actors.
Think about it: basically all he ever does is talk some courage into others. And it's always yadayadayada with that half troubled, half witless look on his face.
So who's the next character to have a conversation with the wannabe shrink?

KillerGremlin
11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Dale reminds me of like....Obi Won or something. I still think it was a miscast, but he has wisdom and seems to fit in as a guide. Ultimately, his passiveness will get the best of him in a clearly disturbed world.

Professor S
11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I think at this point everyone is trying to show their worth, and that's why Dale is trying to hard to play mechanic (in the beginning), peacemaker, psychologist, and philosopher. He's old, and he has to be thinking what his value is in such violent times. For the audience I believe he plays the role of the observer/audience. In a world gone mad, we see it through his eyes.

Rick the the leader, Shane is the enforcer, Daryl is the hunter, Glenn is the courier, the chick is the sharp shooter, Dale is the sage, Rick's wife is the village slut, and T-Dogg is the... he's the... um... the next victim (hopefully).

KillerGremlin
11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I think at this point everyone is trying to show their worth, and that's why Dale is trying to hard to play mechanic (in the beginning), peacemaker, psychologist, and philosopher. He's old, and he has to be thinking what his value is in such violent times. For the audience I believe he plays the role of the observer/audience. In a world gone mad, we see it through his eyes.

Rick the the leader, Shane is the enforcer, Daryl is the hunter, Glenn is the courier, the chick is the sharp shooter, Dale is the sage, Rick's wife is the village slut, and T-Dogg is the... he's the... um... the next victim (hopefully).

Not just the metaphorical observer....but the observer of common sense!

I mean come on! Lori has been sneaking away to have private convos with Shane since season 1. It's obvious she is boning him. I think Dale was on to that. I think Dale knew about Shane and Andrea right away....I think Dale sees stuff that everyone else is too retarded to notice. Except for that damn herd in Episode 1, why'd ya let me down Dale, why!? :lol:

Even though some of his stuff seemed obvious in the last episode, I really think his dialog was some of the most human dialog we have seen on the show.

The scene with Dale confronting Shane? That was BY FAR one of the best dialogs on the show so far. It felt real. Human. Like it wasn't written by George Lucas the Second, aka Kirkman and his writing team of monkeys.

If the show continues to improve like this it will be stellar stuff as it moves forward.

Even the Rick and Lori confrontation was much better done than past exchanges of forced dialog. The Rick and Lori exchanges regarding Carl were terrible. Shane and Rick's exchange last episode made me want to throw a remote at the writer's head. But this newest episode? Rick sounded like a normal fucking human.

I know people very well, and for the first time since Season 1 Episode 1, they've been getting the dialog right.

Edit: they even got some humorous dialog out of Glenn! And it was organic and didn't feel forced! I mean....I swear...it's like they hired a whole new team of dialog writers for the most recent episode.

Typhoid
11-21-2011, 09:01 PM
The scene with Dale confronting Shane? That was BY FAR one of the best dialogs on the show so far. It felt real.

I think that was one of the best moments in the show so far.

I agree that the last episode seemed a lot more human than the other recent episodes.

I fall back to my theory of why the writing style/acting consistency changes wildly; the creator of the show has some handjobs to pay off [for getting the show] so he's giving episode-writing-jobs and directing-jobs to friends, and friends of friends. So maybe now they've rifled through the shitty directors/writers that were owed favours, and are on to some people who are doing it for a job. Hopefully.

Professor S
11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Great episode tonight. The main characters are finding their voice and lines are starting to be drawn. Shane is crazy, but in a way that is understandable and people can be empathetic towards. Rick is showing that he can make the truly hard decisions. Dale is holding on to the group's humanity.

Just a very good episode.

Vampyr
11-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Yep, best episode of the season.

The Maggie/Glenn dialogue is still cringe-worthy though.

KillerGremlin
11-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Yep, best episode of the season.

The Maggie/Glenn dialogue is still cringe-worthy though.

I think they're going for semi-camp and having fun with his dialog. But who knows with these writers.

Tonight's episode was the best episode in the series by far...

BUT

How the show moves forward is going to determine if tonight's payoff was worth the slow burn we had to endure for the first half of Season 2. If they don't start killing main characters (I'm looking at you, psycho Shane; and Hershel...crazy nutbag), or moving this plot forward....

After a 2 month hiatus and a fairly slow/awkward Season 2, I feel like the last 6 episodes better maintain the darkness. Shit better go down. If the next 6 episodes go back to 1st gear, than tonight's episode will get docked big time. You have to go up from here, right?

Anyone have predictions now that a whole lotta shit went down?

Professor S
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I think the plot has moved forward quite a bit, but it has nothing to do with the farm or the army base. We are seeing these characters change. They are becoming hardened and at times, cruel. This is a necessary character arch if they are going to be able to leave the farm... and face the Governor.

Vampyr
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
One thing I remembered during last night's episode, didn't Maggie ride in on a horse early on and decapitate a walker with a baseball bat?

What was with her character suddenly regressing to being Walker-friendly, and acting like the one in the pharmacy was the first one she had ever seen killed?

Teuthida
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
She wacked it in the head but was still "alive." Darryl shot it afterwards.

Typhoid
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I loved the episode.
I can't even put the ending into proper words. But I'll try.

I liked how earlier in their week they were anti-guns - and most of the people who knew about the barn were anti-shooting-walkers. Not their farm, etc. That type of thing.

All it took was one crazy alpha-male to Hitler the situation up and get them to blankly kill everyone in that barn. I noticed that every single person [of the group] at least killed 1 walker.

KillerGremlin
11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Dale didn't kill a Walker.

And Hershel went full retard with Rick when they went to round up zombies.

I mean Shane is fucking psycho, but he also was preaching some common sense. Hershel is by default a moron because he hasn't been outside the farm to see the real world.

I understand that most of the people in the barn are family members of Hershel, and I can empathize with that fact. But Rick blew a hole in Sophia's head...so he also can relate to having close friends/family turning into a zombie.

I think the fact is, Hershel is going to be held at gunpoint most likely. He can either go with the flow, or die. Rick will be a pussy and go against this. And that will ultimately be the demise of Shane. All things considered....TV Shane does show more common sense than the core group. He just lacks empathy and is antisocial.

I found Andrea to be the most annoying character in this episode. Not annoying in a poorly acted or written sense, but I just find her character to be one degree removed from Shane. She too is on the brink of insanity. Honestly, if I was Dale I would peace the fuck out of there because that group is going to self destruct. But I'd shoot Andrea and Shane in the face first.

These Zombie films and TV shows are like survival tips 101. Things to NOT DO in a real zombie apocalypse. I wouldn't travel in a group with a whole bunch of morons. That's for sure.

Like I said....the show has momentum now, so they need to continue down the dark, self-destructive path.

Typhoid
11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Dale didn't kill a Walker.

Damn! I r corrected.

Anyways, I totally agree with everything you just said, and have nothing of value to add.

Vampyr
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
One of the things I liked most about this episode was Shane's tirade, because to everyone else he looks insane, but what triggered is that he really thinks everyone else has lost their minds.

I mean, if you step back for a second, Rick is leading a Walker on a stick to store it in a barn. That's pretty crazy.

KillerGremlin
11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Rick's problem is that he wants to make everyone happy. As a leader, you can't do that. I think there's good "deeper meaning" in that development, even if it is unintentional by the writers.

Rick has tried to understand everyone, and the result has been lapses of common sense.

My question is what the heck happened to Sophia? Rick gave her pretty clear orders...and she can outrun the walkers. So when did she fall to the zombies.

Does anyone know if this was addressed on the Talking Dead or something? So far all the Talking Dead questions have been really dumb: "why don't the zombies go poop har har" but I think asking about where Sophia went would be a good question.

Maybe they will do a flashback to what happened to Sophia in the intro to one of the next episodes. That would be a worthwhile and awesome flashback. And it would be dark...seeing her bit by a Walker.

Angrist
11-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Good episode. Oh, what did you think of the Portal reference? It's nice they try something like that, but in this case it didn't make sense.

What I was wondering about with Sophia is why the farm people didn't mention her to the group. They knew they were looking for a small girl.. well hey, they caught a small zombie girl the day before! If Hershel wanted them off the farm, why did he give them time to search for Sophia?
Also, a lot of farm equipment/people was used to search for her.

TheSlyMoogle
11-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Good episode. Oh, what did you think of the Portal reference? It's nice they try something like that, but in this case it didn't make sense.

What I was wondering about with Sophia is why the farm people didn't mention her to the group. They knew they were looking for a small girl.. well hey, they caught a small zombie girl the day before! If Hershel wanted them off the farm, why did he give them time to search for Sophia?

Because he didn't want them to find out about the barn, and the whole situation.

Also Lori, Carl and Sophia's Mom (Can't remember her name) also didn't shoot any walkers. Sophia's mom was behind darrell the whole time, and Lori and carl were hugging on the ground.

My mouth was open the whole time Shane was on his awesome tirade.

My real concern now is if the show actually does the whole Governor thing. I find the story line in the comics to be absolutely silly. Either way doubt it will be until season 3.

Angrist
11-29-2011, 07:19 AM
They could have set Sophia loose in the forest, they would have found her that way. Although I guess that would mean she got killed, and Hershel didn't want that.... Hm ok it seems to make sense.

I did feel bad for Hershel, seeing his wife get killed because he showed some people hospitality. I do think that he had the right to do with walkers as he pleased, as long as it was on his own farm.
Funny how Shane was whining about the security, but it still took him a tool and a lot of effort to get it open from the outside.

Teuthida
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
They said Otis used to capture the walkers (though I have no idea how it could be a one person job). They never mentioned Sophia until after he already left with Shane.

Angrist
11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
That's a bad explanation. Somebody could have had the presence of mind to check the barn for a small girl.

Hershel didn't want to tell them because of the secret of the barn, and he couldn't set her free because he knew they'd kill her. That's the best explanation in my opinion.

The Germanator
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
The mid-season break is pretty lame, that's all I gotta say.

Oh, and another good recap by Andy Greenwald on Grantland about his problems with the first half of this season. http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/38190/the-walking-dead-recap-bring-your-daughter-to-the-slaughter

KillerGremlin
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
If I had not read the comics, would I care at all about Sophia? :ohreilly:

I also can agree that Hershel hasn't earned a ton of sympathy. For such a God fearing man, he isn't very empathetic or charitable. But I wouldn't want people camping out on my farm.

Typhoid
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
For such a God fearing man, he isn't very empathetic or charitable. But I wouldn't want people camping out on my farm.

well he said he views the 'walkers' as sick people, and the fact that Rick's group just views them as walking meat clearly disturbs him. In that sense I can understand why his character is sort of off-put by them. In his mind it's as if it's not a new world, but the same world, where only the living have changed.

I'm also not sure how Otis could do it on his own. Maybe he was just really good at it. That's probably not the case, but thee's got to be a chance that for some reason he was really good at rounding up zombies.

Anyways, black out your future-talk, you witches.

Fox 6
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
So some people have pointed out that the writers of this show made Otis an extremely gifted person.

1. He was the hunter of the group.

2. He had medical knowledge and was a volunteer EMT.

3. He apparently played a mean guitar.

4. He could wrangle walkers single handed.

Who knows what else he was capable of?

Vampyr
12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
So some people have pointed out that the writers of this show made Otis an extremely gifted person.

1. He was the hunter of the group.

2. He had medical knowledge and was a volunteer EMT.

3. He apparently played a mean guitar.

4. He could wrangle walkers single handed.

Who knows what else he was capable of?

Haha, that reminds me of Chase from House. He could perform every surgery known to man.

Dylflon
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Hershel didn't want them to know that there were zombies in the barn in the first place.