Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain
Old 07-08-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain

Instead of making 3 seperate threads on the games in their respective forums to show off some of the new media, and I figured might as well cut to the eventual question in some folks mind.

Anyhow, WrestleMania XIX (GameCube), Raw 2: Ruthless Aggression (Xbox) and SmackDown: Here comes The Pain (PlayStation 2) are all expected around the same time later this year. Each has certain feature that sets it apart from the others. WrestleMania will be the first out and the first with blood, it also has a pretty unique/different/bizarre/foolish however youcare to describe it storymode. Raw 2 has a WWE type story mode, where they just throw a bunch of folks in there and hope for the best. SmackDown will also include blood, Elimination Chamber, Bra and Panties and Legends.

Graphics is a rather subjective matter, what looks good to show and bad to others, I personally think Raw 2 needs some love in the graphics department but many may like it. I enjoy the look of WrestleMania and SmackDown. Just look at the WM XIX arena in the movie below. I think SmackDown has the bes character model of the three, but then again that could be accounted for by the experience on the hardware.

Sadly, they aren't any real high quality shots of Here comes the Pain so I guess the movie will have to do.

Even though this is a WrestleMania shot, I'm not using it for comparison just cause it's so damn funny.

http://dl1.giga.de/movies/konsolen/raw2/raw2.zip
http://dl1.giga.de/movies/konsolen/w...lemania_19.zip
http://dl1.giga.de/movies/konsolen/s.../smackdown.zip

If it asks for a password type in moongames.de

Copy the link and paste it in the toolbar after a few seconds the movie will start. You will need DivX to view the movie, you also need to Unzip it before you open it.

Some comments on the movie, maybe it's my computer, maybe it's the game, maybe it's just recorded wrong, but the Raw 2 movie seems to be extremely slow. The animation in the game look weird, and there is a helluva lot of clipping.

The entrance in WM XIX are weird, they seem to work on the 3 part system as WM x8, but it just seems weird with Reyy walking like normal. Austin walks stiff. I like the detail in the arena.

SmackDown has some nice animation, but it still seems to be SmackDown at heart with some of those things that just seem weird. I like the new f5 even though I think it's a tad too high and they should also have the kick. I love the move Goldberg does to Brock on his shoulder.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 07-08-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
nWoCHRISnWo
Mr. Perfect

Now Playing:

I think graphically, Wm XIX looks the best actually. The wrestlers themsevles, at least. And I don't really like the animation in SD, but I'll probably end up liking the game the best out of all three.

Re: WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain
Old 07-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4
Default Re: WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain

like I said in another thread, I like the overall look of SD! the best, although I would need to see a direct feed movie before I make any conclusive opinions...

Re: WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain
Old 07-08-2003, 11:50 PM   #4
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: WrestleMania XIX vs Raw 2: Ruthless Agression vs SmackDown 5: Here Comes the Pain

I think Smackdown looks overall the best, again...

But, I think WM XIX looks good, but where is the crowd? Raw has the full environment captured better imo. Even though Raw's models look to shiny.

I think comparing graphics in screens can be unfair at times, I'll be able to completly judge that when it's home on my TV screen.

Just as a side topic, if all three games were to have equal gameplay, how would you rank them on features alone?

Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 AM   #5
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame
I think Smackdown looks overall the best, again...

But, I think WM XIX looks good, but where is the crowd? Raw has the full environment captured better imo. Even though Raw's models look to shiny.

I think comparing graphics in screens can be unfair at times, I'll be able to completly judge that when it's home on my TV screen.

Just as a side topic, if all three games were to have equal gameplay, how would you rank them on features alone?
The crowd in the new shots of XIX look well.. hmm.. They are animated like there is this one fat guy in the front role who keeps throwing up his arm, don't ask why or how I noticed.

I wasn't exactly comparing the pics, even after watching the movies of Raw, something just doesn't seem right about it.

As for your final question, I'll reply later.

Quote:

Old 07-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #6
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame
To be honest, I'm not informed of all the modes and features in either RAW 2 or WMXIX, but I don't know how you can go wrong with SD!'s features:

-Most up-to-date rosters
-LEGENDS!!!
-Most number of match types (Elimination Chamber!)
-WWE writer-scripted storylines
-Superstar Voiceovers

Old 07-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #7
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Hands-down, I believe that SmackDown wins in the feature category. But just got to point out one thing Stu said.

Quote:
That's not a good thing if the current product is any indication.

Now for a breakdown:

If I was to rate them on features alone, it would be
SmackDown: Here Comes the Pain
WrestleMania XIX
Raw 2

SmackDown for the simple fact that it still has more modes than both games, it has the Elimination Chamber, Bra and Panties and the Legends.

WrestleMania because it has a rather unique story mode, the Champisonship tourneys, unless Raw 2 proves otherwise the best Hell in a Cell, blood, a Tough Enough-esque Tutorial mode, wrestler stat page or whatever that is, and well it's a CAW by Yukes. I mean if it's anything like the jump from the first SmackDown to the second, it will be cool.

Raw 2 has a 4-player season mode and the ability to rip music for your CAWs, and if I'm not mistaken that's about it.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
nWoCHRISnWo
Mr. Perfect

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stu
To be honest, I'm not informed of all the modes and features in either RAW 2 or WMXIX, but I don't know how you can go wrong with SD!'s features:

-Most up-to-date rosters
-LEGENDS!!!
-Most number of match types (Elimination Chamber!)
-Superstar Voiceovers
Well in my opinion, none of these matter too much. All the games will have a pretty up to date roster, but it doesn't matter because they'll all be out of date soon after they're released anyways. Legends is the one thing that makes me wanna get SD 5. WWE wrtier-scripted storylines... Umm quite frankly I don't know how you can go RIGHT with that feature. I don't really care about the voiceovers, so that leaves the match types. While SD will have the most, it doesn't necessarily mean better. It has Elimination Chamber, but who really cares? Odds are it'll suck, it was only used once in WWE and the match wasn't that great, they probably won't use it again much if ever, and I just don't feel the need to have an Elimination Chamber match. I can't say which has the best features until I actually try them. I'd hate to bring up No Mercy AGAIN, but I live the features in No Mercy better than in any other WWF/E wrestling game so far. It didn't have the most, but what it did have I liked a lot. No other ladder match is even have as fun as the one in No Mercy, I don't like any of the cage matches in any games, Hell in a Cell (in any game) is only fun for the first time or so, table matches suck, etc.

So if you didn't read all that crap, all I'm saying is most features will probably suck anyway so I gotta try them before deciding.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

A trailer video and high res screens have finally been released for SmackDown: Here Comes the Pain, I decided to add a few more pics.

Quote:

Old 09-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
ekim512
Baron

Now Playing:
wow...goldberg looks worse the he did on wcw mayhem. all the graphics except rey doing the 619(top) are pretty $h*ty.

was that sd graphics?

what graphics do you think are best?

what game is do you think is best?

(please no bias because you dont own a game or deck)

Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #11
mickydaniels
Key Change at the Coda

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Wrestlemania's graphics are definitely better. But, to me graphics and features matter absoultely nothing when it comes to gameplay. So, judgement will be reserved. Because if they did, I would not say that World Tour is the best wrestling game from the standpoint of actually playing the matches.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:36 AM   #12
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydaniels
Wrestlemania's graphics are definitely better.
Better than What? IMO Raw 2 and Smackdown blow it out... these old pics do the in game graphics of Raw and SD no justice. You should check out the new videos at IGN.

Also, if you like the THQ Aki games, as far as match pacing and how specials are done, Raw 2 may be your best bet.