Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Happy Gay Pride Month everybody!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Happy Gay Pride Month everybody!

Obama White House names June LGBT pride month!
source: http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...bt-pride-month

The "T" in LGBT stands for Transsexual in case anyone was wondering!

Take that Christians! Take that Muslims! Take that Abraham-based religions! Take that Mormons! Take that Prop 8! Take that people from the south! Yes, this might just be a publicity stunt. This might just be a move for Obama to gain popularity amongst liberals, gays, and chicks with dicks! And sure, things like "pride" months are controversial in bringing equality. But let's not dwell on these things. Let's celebrate! I bring the LGBT Pride Month thread to everyone at GT who is LGBT or supports LGBT!

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 06-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Re: Happy Gay Pride Month everybody!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: Happy Gay Pride Month everybody!

Hmm, it's missing something.

For you Early boy.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Hmm, it's missing something.
For you Early boy.
A match made in heaven.

At least Earl is out there supporting the cause, I'm just an armchair LGBT supporter

Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Here's a list of my favorite gay people:

I support LGBT equality (although I think the specific "LGBT" in front of equality is unnecessary, as all should be given equality no matter sexual orientation), but if I see one more "LGBT SAFE ZONE" stickers on campus I am going to punch someone.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

We have a huge gay pride parade/festival here in Vancouver. I forget when it is, though.

But I guess that's cool. Good for them for getting a longer month than the blacks.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

New Hampshire just passed a gay marriage bill today. Basically New England is awesome in terms of tolerance. NH, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts...

Anyway, this is a good thread I guess?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

and then along came Iowa and smacked a huge WTF out of nowhere when we allowed Gay Marriages

I too support equality amongst all. There is no reason why we shouldn't treat them all the same. Religion is a scapegoat.

Credit to Null for sig

Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
New Hampshire just passed a gay marriage bill today. Basically New England is awesome in terms of tolerance. NH, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts...

Anyway, this is a good thread I guess?
Yes. I mean...I love LGBT pride. Everyone should be proud of who they are, or their race, or their culture, or whatever. We should also celebrate humanity though. I have mixed opinions on pride/history months because in the process of trying to balance the scale of equality you give one group special privilege for one month which doesn't necessarily send a message of equality. Nothing says "LGBT" people are equal to you an I like a month of people flaunting bracelets and parades and then hiding all that stuff in a closet for 11 more months. Ideally people would be proud of who they are every month, not just one. Just like how black history month should really be trying to push for black history year where black education is integrated properly into a broken as fuck US History curriculum. But that's neither here nor there.

I was just poking a little jest at the absurdity of it all. I doubt we will see resolution in our lifetime. Germy, I think most people are good people and they love their fellow man. I think we just get distracted by things like skin color and genital preference.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
We have a huge gay pride parade/festival here in Vancouver. I forget when it is, though.

But I guess that's cool. Good for them for getting a longer month than the blacks.
I pointed that out to KG as well.
I don't mind them getting a month, but why do they get to celebrate longer than we do?

Also, TSM doesn't have to hide his face in public... though I suggest he do it anyhow.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the whole "____ history/pride month/parade".

I say fuck that.
Fuck that entirely in it's respective ass/most offendable orifice.

Why not just make every day a "Proud to be who you are" day, and leave it at that.

I have nothing wrong with gay people, and in fact find them funnier than straight people on average, however considering they didn't choose to be gay, why do they get a parade, and I - being straight don't get one.

Why do white people not get a history month? Just because our history is riddled with horrible events and atrocities? That doesn't mean you shouldn't be educated properly on it, or even not signify a month to begin with. There should also be a Latin month and Asain month. I also want a wheelchair activists month, while you're at it.

I'm a fan of the "All or nothing" campaign. We all get parades and months, or fuck the lot.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Yes. I mean...I love LGBT pride. Everyone should be proud of who they are, or their race, or their culture, or whatever. We should also celebrate humanity though. I have mixed opinions on pride/history months because in the process of trying to balance the scale of equality you give one group special privilege for one month which doesn't necessarily send a message of equality. Nothing says "LGBT" people are equal to you an I like a month of people flaunting bracelets and parades and then hiding all that stuff in a closet for 11 more months. Ideally people would be proud of who they are every month, not just one. Just like how black history month should really be trying to push for black history year where black education is integrated properly into a broken as fuck US History curriculum. But that's neither here nor there.

I was just poking a little jest at the absurdity of it all. I doubt we will see resolution in our lifetime. Germy, I think most people are good people and they love their fellow man. I think we just get distracted by things like skin color and genital preference.
I think I get what you are saying with absurdity of it all. At least for me, the whole idea of the discrimination in the first place is the most insane part of it. So, in a way, I'm glad that the LGBT community expresses themselves in parades and gets their own months or whatever. If it makes certain religious groups or intolerant people squirm, then awesome. I hope they get nervous and think that the country is crumbling because gays can marry. I like the idea that people who exclude and discriminate are made uncomfortable by people of the same sex being in love. It's crazy to me that many still feel that way, but so it goes, and I do hope that things change for the better by the end of my life.

And Typhoid, I disagree with your general idea. BTW, Asians and Hispanics do have their own months here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Heritage_Month and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Heritage_Month

Anyway, White people don't need a month because we're aren't a minority and we're everywhere. Think about it, as recent as the 60's people discriminated horribly against Blacks and other races, and many people still do to this day. Not being one of these races, I have no idea what Black history might mean to another Black person, but I'm sure as hell it means a lot more to them than you and I and that's a good thing. Again, maybe not, maybe some just want to look to the future. Same goes for the other races. It's just kind of uniting force for some, and why shouldn't they have that? I understand, that yeah, "why can't we all just be North Americans", and we are, but there's history there that can't just be swept aside that is specific to those races. Also, I think our generation does see race as less of an issue, but we've got to remember that previous ones did and I think that's why it's important to recognize the past in that regard.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #12
DimHalo
Language Goddess

Now Playing: Nights on the Wii

Although it is only one small step, I am very happy to hear that GLBT issues are really gaining some light.

Our Gay Pride weekend in STL is June 27th and 28th. I can't wait.

PS: Hooray for Iowa. The midwest isn't completely backwards.

www.myspace.com/alexismmm

It's another night in hell, Another child won't live to tell
Can you imagine what it's like to starve to death

And as we sit free and well, Another soldier has to yell
Tell my wife and children I love them in his last breath

C'mon now amen, amen, amen

Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #13
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
Anyway, White people don't need a month because we're aren't a minority and we're everywhere. Think about it, as recent as the 60's people discriminated horribly against Blacks and other races, and many people still do to this day. Not being one of these races, I have no idea what Black history might mean to another Black person, but I'm sure as hell it means a lot more to them than you and I and that's a good thing. Again, maybe not, maybe some just want to look to the future. Same goes for the other races. It's just kind of uniting force for some, and why shouldn't they have that? I understand, that yeah, "why can't we all just be North Americans", and we are, but there's history there that can't just be swept aside that is specific to those races. Also, I think our generation does see race as less of an issue, but we've got to remember that previous ones did and I think that's why it's important to recognize the past in that regard.
Actually by 2050 white people will be the minority in America. Then do we get our own white pride month? lol

Seriously though. Racism is defined as:
- the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
- discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

Isn't giving people special treatment (like affirmative action, or pride months) a form of discrimination? We are singling out a group of people instead of embracing equality. =/

Again, there's a ton of gray area with the issue which is why I don't oppose pride parades or pride/history months or affirmative action 100%. But I look at these things with what I believe to be objective criticism. I hope one day we can move beyond a solution that involves singling out a group of people and giving them special treatment. Maybe one day we can just look at everyone as people, you know human beings, rather than a gay human or a black human or an Asian human etc. This hippy-BS dream of mine will never come true though because of culture and religion wars.

I do agree though, it is nice to see the anti-LGBT people squirm at the pride parades

It's also great to be bringing the LGBT issue into a national forum of discussion.

And DimHalo, come to Chicago. It has a thriving LGBT community and we are definitely not backwards (most of Illinois is pretty forward-thinking) except for some of the bumb fuck country hick towns.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Whew, time to plug my new thread in my LGBT support thread:
http://www.gametavern.net/forums/sho...983#post251983

Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

I stopped reading after Typhoid's first line so sorry if I'm repeating things:

The reason there's no celebration for being straight/white/middle class is that straight people and white people are not groups that have been openly discriminated against.

I think these months are a society's way of saying "It's cool guys, we won't persecute you for doing your thing. Get out there and be as gay/black/gay & black as you want."

PS:

I'm always proud of you KillerGremlin, no matter what month you're gay during.