Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #451
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

She's the most annoying, at the very least. Also a terrible actress. Just ready for her to die.

Last episode was also super boring.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #452
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
I don't think so. Think of it this way:

She runs back to the Prison to see her old group and she finds out that two friends are dead, Hershel has one leg, they have no food, are surrounded by zombies, she was ratted-out by her best friend, and Rick has gone nuts. They have committed to a fight she believes they can't win, and showed no consideration for the people in Woodbury (many innocent, and remember a Woodbury bystander was killed by the group). Essentially, her old group has gone completely to shit.

Meanwhile, Woodbury has plenty of food, weapons, ammo, and an army. As for her obsession with Phil... women are attracted to security, and Andrea has always gone with the most "alpha" male she could find. While nuts, Phil is pretty alpha.

I can't say I agree with her decision making, but I don't find it unbelievable. As we've seen time and time again in this series, people make bad decisions when under severe stress.
Oh it wasn't just her actions in this episode.. even if being played the weasley nerd character.

Just seems like they pile a ton of crap on her character and offers so little redemption so far.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #453
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
Oh it wasn't just her actions in this episode.. even if being played the weasley nerd character.

Just seems like they pile a ton of crap on her character and offers so little redemption so far.
I would agree with this. Andrea hasn't had a ton of great development, and seems to be strung along as a plot vehicle among other things.

The writing and character development is still really inconsistent. This show is just stuck in B- territory, and I've come to terms with that and just lowered my expectations. As such, this season is still miles ahead of the first two.

I'm a little sad because The Governor and the Woodbury stuff could have been more suspenseful, but instead, we are getting a fairly unnerving inside perspective with no real stakes.

Merle and Andrea both drive me nuts. But whatever. I look forward to the reboot in a few years.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #454
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
I look forward to the reboot in a few years.
You do know that The Walking Dead is one of the highest rated shows on TV, right? It even beat The Big Bang Theory when head to head with the Oscars. This is a cable show going toe to toe with network TV and winning. In a few years this show won't be rebooted, it will still be on the air.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...ster-down.html

Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #455
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
You do know that The Walking Dead is one of the highest rated shows on TV, right? It even beat The Big Bang Theory when head to head with the Oscars. This is a cable show going toe to toe with network TV and winning. In a few years this show won't be rebooted, it will still be on the air.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...ster-down.html
I guess I should celebrate the success of a zombie TV show adapted from a comic book.

Then again, popularity has always had an interesting correlation with quality.

I'm actually in agreement with you. I think they will string this show along for a while...to what end? Cancellation? A planned finale?

It will be interesting to see. In the mean time, I enjoy the moments when the show strikes that suspenseful, post-Apocalyptic feeling, and sucks me in. Frequently, I find the pacing to be off, the drama to be forced, characters underdeveloped or inconsistently written, etc.

We know there was conflict with the creator and writers in Season 1 and 2, which explains some of the inconsistencies. I'm sure we are still feeling that. It's also hard to develop characters and plot for an ongoing show. AMC's decision to split the show into halves didn't help with the pacing either.

The hardest part for me is that I love the comics, I love the mythology and lore, and I bounce between wanting to like the show and liking the show. I like a lot of characters on the show, and I'm happy that it deviates from the comics.

As with Season 2...I feel like much of the current conflict is forced and anticlimactic. We have too much insight into Woodbury, and the Governor is a tad too humanized, imo. I have some faith in the team of writers. It's a bit too early in the season for a climax, so I expect a curve ball that is going to shock everyone. Something much bigger than the feud between Rick and the Governor.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #456
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Loved this last ep. And was written by the new showrunner.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #457
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

KG - I agree with everything you wrote. In fact, I think the show should adopt the framework of Downton Abbey. They skip long periods of time and get to the good stuff rather than trying to create a play by play of all events that take place.

I really liked the last show as well, but still don't understand why they didn't tie up Morgan after he tried to kill them and they saw the crazy writing on the walls...

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #458
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I seem to recall Rick did tie his hands together with some zip ties. Didn't actually tie him to anything else though. I guess he also kind of assumed he would at least recognize him.

One thing I found really odd is...so all this time they've been a short distance away from Rick's hometown? How did Rick, being a police officer, not know that prison was there the entire time?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #459
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I seem to recall Rick did tie his hands together with some zip ties. Didn't actually tie him to anything else though. I guess he also kind of assumed he would at least recognize him.

One thing I found really odd is...so all this time they've been a short distance away from Rick's hometown? How did Rick, being a police officer, not know that prison was there the entire time?
I was wondering that as well, but imagined it had to be a longer drive than they were showing us.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #460
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Mmm finger biting good.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #461
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I love Michael Rooker, so I'm glad to see that he toned down the over-the-top, "stereotypical dumbass racist redneck" that he played in Season 1.

He did a good job this last episode, and this season in general (and last season with his hallucination cameo).

My question: is this writing, or acting choice? Either way, I tip my hat off to him and his fingers. Heh.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #462
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

What a terrible season finale.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #463
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
What a terrible season finale.
Agreed. It started out so strong, too. But the "assault" was a joke. I get why they did it the way they did, because the Governor's men have no real experience fighting, but it was SOOOO unsatisfying. Also, why is everyone leaving Woodbury for a FUCKING PRISON? Take over the nice place with heat and electricity, not the shit hole.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #464
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I don't get the pacing of this show at all.

It was a huge mistake to sit down Rick and the Governor before the showdown. The entire Andrea story arc has been a huge mistake. The Governor is probably one of the most inconsistently written characters on the show...which makes no sense because he is one of the most distinguished characters from the comics.

The writers have made it unclear if the Governor is just jaded like Rick, and upset over not doing enough to protect/save his daughter. Or is he a crazy, sociopathic mother fucker, that keeps heads in fish tanks and has no problem gunning down innocent people. Or is the Governor just pissed off because of Michonne?

The finale and showdown was wholly unsatisfying, and also kind of boring. =/ What didn't make any sense to me is that Caesar just stood there while the Governor started gunning down innocent Woodbury folks. Especially after that scene from the last episode where Caesar and Daryl finger-fucked each other over a cigarette. Evidently that scene had no real point in terms of character development for Caesar.

What didn't work for me was the stuff with Andrea. There was no suspense there, because I don't particularly care about her character. It's not that I don't feel bad for her, I do. I just think her character is poorly developed/written.

So where was the suspense? What are the stakes? What was the big surprise? Why am I supposed to care about Season 4?

In the end, this show is AMC's cash cow. It's making a TON of money. It's getting a ton of views. People were complaining that they kept playing commercials every 5 minutes. I wouldn't know because I don't watch live TV anymore, but I believe it.

Either way, I still enjoy the show when it occasionally is in stride, so I'll probably tune in to Season 4 come this October.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #465
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Really, really bad finale. In fact, I thought most of the last 4 episodes weren't so great leading up to it...The first 12 episodes had some pretty good moments this season, and I thought it was heading to a better place...but no, that was just super, super, super weak.

3 showrunners in 4 years, that's some messy production.

I normally hate reboots, but can they just reboot The Walking Dead with more competent writers, actors, and showrunners? I think that's what I'm always disappointed by. The source material is so good, but the show is so mediocre.