Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Re: Final Fantasy Megathread
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #46
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

I'm... I don't know how many hours into it, but I've retrieved Ultima and the Emperor has unleashed the Cyclone. Firion and Gus both have 3000+ HP. Maria only has about 1700. Firion is maxed on swords, Gus on axes. Maria has all the spells I frequently use at 10+. I have, like, 300,000+ gil.

I expect I'll finish and post full impressions in a day or two. Maybe three.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #47
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

The Brotherhood of the Traveling Shank

Day 1:

So I started off today, with 4 thieves, named:
John
Ryan
Bill
and for hilarity... EARL in all caps. Just so when I lose the battles I know I inevitably will lose, I can blame it on Earl.

Oh and the rest of this post will have to wait for a bit.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #48
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
I'm... I don't know how many hours into it, but I've retrieved Ultima and the Emperor has unleashed the Cyclone. Firion and Gus both have 3000+ HP. Maria only has about 1700. Firion is maxed on swords, Gus on axes. Maria has all the spells I frequently use at 10+. I have, like, 300,000+ gil.

I expect I'll finish and post full impressions in a day or two. Maybe three.
Just out of curiosity it seems like you have so much time to dedicate to this...how?!

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #49
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus113 View Post
Just out of curiosity it seems like you have so much time to dedicate to this...how?!

Funds have been pretty low, so my wife and I haven't really been able to go out and do a whole lot lately. We usually just veg around at the apartment when I'm not working and she's not at school. I'm either playing a game (which is, of course, been Final Fantasy lately) and she's either doing homework or procrastinating on her homework and playing a game. Sometimes we watch a movie.

Hopefully in the next couple of months we'll be moved and settled and I'll have less excuses to stay home and do nothing. Although, it really only took me about 22 hours to beat FFII which really isn't that much, relatively.

Oh, yeah, I just finished. Beat the Emperor in just one hit. I was crazy over-powered. Ultimately, even though the game is completely broken on multiple levels there is still fun to be had. It was kind of cool not having to worry about, you know, dying or anything like that. I just sort of breezed through the game. Since everything I've read suggests that not being overpowered causes the game to be uber frustrating and not fun at all I don't really mind the lack of a challenge.

Also, except for the initial training hump at the beginning (about 4 or 5 hours total) it wasn't that difficult maintaining my advantage.

One thing I noticed about II which I wasn't expecting was actually how much more it felt like a Final Fantasy game over I. Mostly everything you hear about II is regarding the awful "levelling" system and how its broken and unbalanced. The general expectation is that the game is nothing like other Final Fantasy games, but I think its really the opposite. If it wasn't for the Black and White Mages there's really nothing in I that reminds you you're playing an FF game. II, however, has a story that fits in well with the rest of the series, chocobos, Cid, dragoons, an ambiguously evil/good guy, etc. Almost everything that really defines Final Fantasy (at least through to IX) really came from II.

The story, also, is pretty hardcore as far as things go. This most certainly has the highest body count of real characters of any core FF and really paints a bleak picture. I mean, you kill the main bad guy only for him to conquer and break out of hell and unleash it upon the earth. Sephiroth can't claim that. The only real issue with the story is presentation which is expected since it was an NES title originally. If SE ever thought to themselves "We should totally remake Final Fantasy II with and expanded story, better developed characters, and a completely rebuilt from scratch game design!" I would totally buy it. I don't know. I just see a lot of fluffy awesome potential in II's story.

Anyway, that's it for me on FFII. If anyone (magus) is still playing II, feel free to go at your own pace. Same thing if anyone is on I (I want progress updates on your thief run, TSM!). I'll be moving on to III soon. I think there were some people waiting for III (?), so maybe we'll get some more company soon.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #50
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Final Fantasy III wiki page

Originally released in Japan for the Nintendo Famicom in 1990, Final Fantasy III was the second game to not initially receive a North American release. Unlike FFII, a domestic release was not even considered since they had already committed to releasing Final Fantasy IV for the SNES instead. Final Fantasy III was the last of the "unreleased" games to finally receive localization via a complete remake for the Nintendo DS in 2006 with several changes to the story and gameplay. To date, there still has not been a release of the original game in NA making Final Fantasy III in some ways the "final" Final Fantasy.

The original Famicom version focus on four un-named orphans who are dubbed the Warriors of Light after discovering the Crystal of Wind. They are charged with relighting the four Crystals of Light and restoring balance to the world. The DS remake gives the four orphans names and personalities and slightly alters the early events of the game to allow the player to meet and recruit each one. Luneth is the main character and, in this version, is the only person who discovers the crystal of wind. He is then charged with finding the additional Warriors of Light. They are Arc, Luneth's best friend, Refia, the daughter of a blacksmith, and Ingus, a Knight of Sasune.

The gameplay of III takes more inspiration from I than II. III introduces the Job System which allows the 4 warriors to train in any class and to also switch classes later on. These include the original 6 classes from FFI and add an additional 17 classes. III also introduced class specific abilities (like Jump or Steal) rather than simply having each class alter stats and weapon choices.

A few other new items introduced in III and carried on to later games:

- Moogles
- Summons

At this point, most of the recurring features of the Final Fantasy series have been introduced. Future games simply expand on the existing ideas or introduce new elements that don't get carried over into future games.

As noted previously, Final Fantasy III has only been legally released in NA on the Nintendo DS. It is possible, however, to find the original game emulated with a fanslation. Also, an interesting note: Final Fantasy III is the only core FF title to have not seen a release on a Sony console or any console other than ones made by Nintendo. A port to the Wonderswan was planned, but eventually cancelled due to programming difficulties.

Cid Watch:

Cid Haze is the first Cid to have his very own last name. The characters first meet Cid very early in the game and help him break the curse of the djinn. For their help, Cid donates his airship to the group (but it doesn't last long) and then retires with his wife. Cid returns later in the game to upgrade the group's ship into another airship and reveals that he played a key role in the orphan's origins.

This Cid essentially established the name as a recurring role and also placed into a slightly larger supporting role than in Final Fantasy II. This also cements Cid's association with airships.

Alright, so Final Fantasy III! This is another game I've never beaten. I played it and a got somewhat far, but I've never been a fan of the Job system (either in this or V) and gave up the game when it basically said "Have all dragoons or die!" I thought the game was cheating. Anyway, we'll see how it goes this time.

I will, of course, be playing it on the DS. I'm interested to see if anyone will be or has played the original version via ROM? I'd like to see anyone's thoughts on the original version.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #51
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I just borrowed FF IV for the DS from Dylflon, so if I get around to it I'll post progress and thoughts.

Edit: I was going to also borrow III, but I turned it down after he said it was "meh".
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #52
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

I'm still gonna be on FFII for a while probably, but I'm not jumping in on III as I've already finished it. Grats on II though. I want to finally see what's up with this game so we'll see what happens.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #53
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Well sadly, my progress in II has been stunted because of the free weekend of Modern Warfare 2 on Steam, my compelling urge to keep watching Cardcaptor Sakura for some reason, and my ever looming research paper (which is late).

I'm trying to get my paper done by tonight so maybe I can hit it up. I made it to Castle Kas'ion at any rate. I'm trying to beef the prince up a little bit. He's kind of a wuss. But that shouldn't be too difficult. Firion and Maria are weak enough to get his HP low enough without dying to get his HP, and weapon mastery should come with it.

I think after Castle Kas'ion I'm gonna try to beef up Firion, Maria, and Gus up a little more. Firion and Maria's MP is a bit too low for my tastes so I'm gonna do some Faze action and see how that goes. Everyone's HP should probably come up too.

My biggest issue with getting HP and MP up is that it's very costly, so once money starts to run a little low there's a bit too much money grinding that has to go on to make sure I can front the bills for the inns and there really isn't that much gil thrown around by enemies, at least not in this area.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #54
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Regarding gil, you can play a game of Concentration on the snowcraft by holding O and pressing X about 20 times (similar to the number game in FFI). If you can beat it without making any mistakes you'll get 40,000 gil (plus some other awesome things like an Elixir). Even if make a couple of mistakes you'll learn a few thousand gil. Also, there is kind of a way to cheat it. Basically, there are only 32 combinations of characters in FFII's concentration and they also go in the same order. So if you play it once, write down where everyone is, then cancel out of it 31 times you should get that same original combination. Since its written down you'll know exactly where everyone is.

Its kind of cheap, but it'll take care of your money problems for a while. And eventually, you'll start finding so much gil in dungeons and so much extra equipment you can sell off you won't need to be worrying about gil at all. I think I ended II with over a half a million in extra gil lying around and absolutely none of it was from the snowcraft game.

As for me, I have finally passed the part I quit at last time. As I kind of hinted at before it was where you have to fight Garuda and essentially you need to either be crazy over-levelled or have a bunch of dragoons jumping around. They even have a bunch of people in game say, "Hey, beat it with a dragoon!" and practically hand you four sets of dragoon equipment. Unforunately, the first time I tried it (with dragoons) they all died, and again, and again. I figured you had to raise your dragoons job levels to crazy heights which I thought was ridiculous. So, I quit the game in frustration.

This time I pretty much had the same troubles. I died about 2-3 times before finally the cards just landed right and I was able to beat Garuda. Essentially I just had to cross my fingers that Garuda's attacks would fall after I jumped and then before I landed. And pray he didn't spam Lightning.

Anyway, I'm a bit past that now. I just received the Invincible and am now being told I have to be Dark Knights to survive the next dungeons. Gosh darn this game is annoying.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #55
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Wake me up when you guys start playing IV, so I can play it with you.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #56
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Regarding gil, you can play a game of Concentration on the snowcraft by holding O and pressing X about 20 times (similar to the number game in FFI). If you can beat it without making any mistakes you'll get 40,000 gil (plus some other awesome things like an Elixir). Even if make a couple of mistakes you'll learn a few thousand gil. Also, there is kind of a way to cheat it. Basically, there are only 32 combinations of characters in FFII's concentration and they also go in the same order. So if you play it once, write down where everyone is, then cancel out of it 31 times you should get that same original combination. Since its written down you'll know exactly where everyone is.

Its kind of cheap, but it'll take care of your money problems for a while. And eventually, you'll start finding so much gil in dungeons and so much extra equipment you can sell off you won't need to be worrying about gil at all. I think I ended II with over a half a million in extra gil lying around and absolutely none of it was from the snowcraft game.

As for me, I have finally passed the part I quit at last time. As I kind of hinted at before it was where you have to fight Garuda and essentially you need to either be crazy over-levelled or have a bunch of dragoons jumping around. They even have a bunch of people in game say, "Hey, beat it with a dragoon!" and practically hand you four sets of dragoon equipment. Unforunately, the first time I tried it (with dragoons) they all died, and again, and again. I figured you had to raise your dragoons job levels to crazy heights which I thought was ridiculous. So, I quit the game in frustration.

This time I pretty much had the same troubles. I died about 2-3 times before finally the cards just landed right and I was able to beat Garuda. Essentially I just had to cross my fingers that Garuda's attacks would fall after I jumped and then before I landed. And pray he didn't spam Lightning.

Anyway, I'm a bit past that now. I just received the Invincible and am now being told I have to be Dark Knights to survive the next dungeons. Gosh darn this game is annoying.
I actually had to go and train two ninjas and buy a fuckton of shurikens for Cloud of Darkness because everyone else did diddly-dick on her. It was quite obnoxious.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #57
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Whoo! Beat III. Having now beaten the Cloud of Darkness I am actually wondering what all the hype was about. I beat her on my first try (thank goodness; I don't think I would want to marathon through the Crystal Tower and the World of Darkness more than once). Granted, I had also planned ahead and started training Ingus as a Ninja as soon as it was available. I also accumulated tons of gil whilst training and had about 35 Shurkiens going into the battle.

I did lose Luneth, but everyone else withstood Particle Beam like a champ. My final party had Luneth as a Knight, Arc as a Summoner, Refia as a Devout, and Ingus as a Ninja. Levels were 56-57. Battle only lasted around 5 rounds.

Anyway, as for the game as whole... I doubt I'll be revisiting it anytime soon. It had its charm, but Job system has always annoyed me and the story is way too inconsistent to really be enjoyable. It seems to say that light and dark are equal with neither being inherently good or evil, but then its the Cloud of Darkness being fought in the World of Darkness because everybody's trying to cover the world in darkness. I wish they had just gone for something simpler if they couldn't handle the concept yet.

Anyway, I really don't have many thoughts on III. Its apparently held in really high regard in Japan - it was voted one of the best games ever, supposedly. I think they're crazy. The Job system is just way too clunky and abused by the game to be that great. When I get to V we'll see if Square improved on the concept.

IV's post coming up shortly.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #58
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Psst. Typhoid! Wake up!

Final Fantasy IV wiki page

Released in 1991 in the Japan for the Super Famicom. FFIV was released in NA later that year for the SNES under the title Final Fantasy II due to the original II and III not being released in NA. IV was the first FF game to be released for a 16-bit console.

Final Fantasy IV's story exponentially improved on the tales told in prior games. Characters now were devloped beyond single lines and simple traits and had relationships that grew and changed through the game. Villains were not simply evil incarnate, but had a past and motives beyond "death to everything because I say." Well, mostly. IV also featured a much larger and diverse cast of characters including:

- Cecil Harvey: The main character and a Dark Knight from the kingdom of Baron. In the game he has to discover the goodness within himself.

- Rosa Farrell: A white mage and Cecil's girlfriend (fiancé?). She supports Cecil and stands at his side.

- Kain Highwind: A childhood friend of Cecil's. He also harbors feelings for Rosa, but doesn't pursue them out of respect for the pair.

- Rydia: A summoner orphaned through Cecil's actions. She learns to trust Cecil and fight's at his side.

- Tellah: An old mage who has sworn revenge upon the man who killed his daughter. Dislikes spoony bards.

- Edward von Muir: A spoony bard, but also maybe something more regal in disguise. Edward was in love with Tellah's daughter, and assisted Cecil after she died.

- Yang Fang: A monk from Fabul. Yang joins Cecil after his kingdom is attacked by Baron.

- Palom and Porom: Two children mages from the village of Mysidia. They are assigned to assist Cecil in his ordeals and ultimately give everything to help him.

- Edge: Prince of Eblan and a ninja. Edge has a personal vendetta against Cecil's enemies and assists Cecil in defeating them.

- Cid Pollendina: We'll get to him later.

Systems introduced to the series by IV:

- The Active Time Battle system. Rather than each character in battle patiently waiting their turn to strike, battles ran in somewhat real time. A specific amount of real time would have to pass before a character, whether an enemy or PC, could have a turn. This meant the battle continually advanced without pause. If set to "Active" enemies would even attack if the player was in a menu looking for an item or spell.

- Characters now had a preset role (inspired by the "Job system" from III) that could not be changed. They learned spells and abilities by levelling up with no other input from the player. There are only two instances where a character changes roles or grows within their roles; these are both determined by the story.

- The party line-up constantly changes throughout the game. Unlike later games, this is entirely decided by the story. Characters would enter or leave the party as the story dictated. The only constant was Cecil.

- Due to the lack of input into character's growth, players now had the use of up to 5 characters in battle at one time. This is the only FF game to allow more than 4 characters in battle.

Several different versions of IV have been released in NA:

- As Final Fantasy II for the SNES. This version had many changes to it beyond the simple name change. Primarily, the game was made much easier for the American audience. Certain rare items (like Ethers) were made more common while certain spells and abilities that added more strategy to game were removed. "II" was also edited slightly for content. This version was later released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

- Released as part of the "Final Fantasy Chronicles" collection for the PlayStation. It was released as IV for the first time. It contained the original version of the game (minus the changes made during its initial localization) and an new and improved translation. It also featured new FMVs before and after the game.

- Released as Final Fantasy IV for the GameBoy Advance. This version slightly upgraded the graphics in the battles menus and further improved the translation. It also added the "ATB bar" to the menu similar to later FF titles. Finally, it added the ability to switch party members later in the game and several new dungeons after the final boss has been beaten. Unfortunately, this version also included numerous bugs and glitches not in prior versions.

- A complete remake for the Nintendo DS. This made many slight changes to the game overall. Primarily, however, the game now had full 3D graphics and voice-acting during certain cutscenes. It also added a few more scenes to further flesh out the story. Also included was the new "augment" system which allowed characters to use additional abilities to their own and Whyt, a new summon for Rydia whose appearance is customizable and whose stats grow through various minigames.

Additionally, Final Fantasy IV is the "earliest" FF (but not the first) to receive a sequel. "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years" was released as an episodic game, similar to the original IV in gameplay, for mobile phones. It was released in NA as WiiWare for the Nintendo Wii. It takes place 17 years after the original game and showcases the return of every surviving character, plus some new characters such as Ceodore, Cecil and Rosa's son.

And finally, Cid Watch!:

Cid Pollendina is the first out of only two Cids to serve as a playable character. His appearance and role in the story is somewhat similar to III. He is the chief engineer in charge of Baron's airship fleet. Having more loyalty to Cecil, however, Cid joins him in his battle.

I will be playing the DS remake. The "FFII" version is... not really real. The PSX has awful loading times and the GBA version has all those weird glitches and such. The DS version is the best, IMO, minus some shaky voice acting.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #59
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Quote:
Psst. Typhoid! Wake up!

Final Fantasy IV wiki page

Released in 1991 in the Japan for the Super Famicom. FFIV was released in NA later that year for the SNES under the title Final Fantasy II due to the original II and III not being released in NA. IV was the first FF game to be released for a 16-bit console.

Final Fantasy IV's story exponentially improved on the tales told in prior games. Characters now were devloped beyond single lines and simple traits and had relationships that grew and changed through the game. Villains were not simply evil incarnate, but had a past and motives beyond "death to everything because I say." Well, mostly. IV also featured a much larger and diverse cast of characters including:

- Cecil Harvey: The main character and a Dark Knight from the kingdom of Baron. In the game he has to discover the goodness within himself.

- Rosa Farrell: A white mage and Cecil's girlfriend (fiancé?). She supports Cecil and stands at his side.

- Kain Highwind: A childhood friend of Cecil's. He also harbors feelings for Rosa, but doesn't pursue them out of respect for the pair.

- Rydia: A summoner orphaned through Cecil's actions. She learns to trust Cecil and fight's at his side.

- Tellah: An old mage who has sworn revenge upon the man who killed his daughter. Dislikes spoony bards.

- Edward von Muir: A spoony bard, but also maybe something more regal in disguise. Edward was in love with Tellah's daughter, and assisted Cecil after she died.

- Yang Fang: A monk from Fabul. Yang joins Cecil after his kingdom is attacked by Baron.

- Palom and Porom: Two children mages from the village of Mysidia. They are assigned to assist Cecil in his ordeals and ultimately give everything to help him.

- Edge: Prince of Eblan and a ninja. Edge has a personal vendetta against Cecil's enemies and assists Cecil in defeating them.

- Cid Pollendina: We'll get to him later.

Systems introduced to the series by IV:

- The Active Time Battle system. Rather than each character in battle patiently waiting their turn to strike, battles ran in somewhat real time. A specific amount of real time would have to pass before a character, whether an enemy or PC, could have a turn. This meant the battle continually advanced without pause. If set to "Active" enemies would even attack if the player was in a menu looking for an item or spell.

- Characters now had a preset role (inspired by the "Job system" from III) that could not be changed. They learned spells and abilities by levelling up with no other input from the player. There are only two instances where a character changes roles or grows within their roles; these are both determined by the story.

- The party line-up constantly changes throughout the game. Unlike later games, this is entirely decided by the story. Characters would enter or leave the party as the story dictated. The only constant was Cecil.

- Due to the lack of input into character's growth, players now had the use of up to 5 characters in battle at one time. This is the only FF game to allow more than 4 characters in battle.

Several different versions of IV have been released in NA:

- As Final Fantasy II for the SNES. This version had many changes to it beyond the simple name change. Primarily, the game was made much easier for the American audience. Certain rare items (like Ethers) were made more common while certain spells and abilities that added more strategy to game were removed. "II" was also edited slightly for content. This version was later released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

- Released as part of the "Final Fantasy Chronicles" collection for the PlayStation. It was released as IV for the first time. It contained the original version of the game (minus the changes made during its initial localization) and an new and improved translation. It also featured new FMVs before and after the game.

- Released as Final Fantasy IV for the GameBoy Advance. This version slightly upgraded the graphics in the battles menus and further improved the translation. It also added the "ATB bar" to the menu similar to later FF titles. Finally, it added the ability to switch party members later in the game and several new dungeons after the final boss has been beaten. Unfortunately, this version also included numerous bugs and glitches not in prior versions.

- A complete remake for the Nintendo DS. This made many slight changes to the game overall. Primarily, however, the game now had full 3D graphics and voice-acting during certain cutscenes. It also added a few more scenes to further flesh out the story. Also included was the new "augment" system which allowed characters to use additional abilities to their own and Whyt, a new summon for Rydia whose appearance is customizable and whose stats grow through various minigames.

Additionally, Final Fantasy IV is the "earliest" FF (but not the first) to receive a sequel. "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years" was released as an episodic game, similar to the original IV in gameplay, for mobile phones. It was released in NA as WiiWare for the Nintendo Wii. It takes place 17 years after the original game and showcases the return of every surviving character, plus some new characters such as Ceodore, Cecil and Rosa's son.

And finally, Cid Watch!:

Cid Pollendina is the first out of only two Cids to serve as a playable character. His appearance and role in the story is somewhat similar to III. He is the chief engineer in charge of Baron's airship fleet. Having more loyalty to Cecil, however, Cid joins him in his battle.

I will be playing the DS remake. The "FFII" version is... not really real. The PSX has awful loading times and the GBA version has all those weird glitches and such. The DS version is the best, IMO, minus some shaky voice acting.
I thought the DS voice acting was pretty spot on to be honest.
But oh well.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #60
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I'll start playing the DS one as soon as I get back from physio today.
I don't know how long it'll take me to do - I've never played it before.