Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1366
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Silva was great...but the whole part where Silva gets captured, and pulls out his teeth...and all that stuff.

It really reminded me of the Dark Knight and the scene with the Joker, when he is in the jail, and the guy has the phone inside him....

I thought the scene on the island was fucking perfect, and the stuff at the end with the Scottish house was fucking perfect. That whole mid-section was also really good, but yeah. It reminded me of the Dark Knight.

It's not a bad thing...I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #1367
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Silva was great...but the whole part where Silva gets captured, and pulls out his teeth...and all that stuff.

It really reminded me of the Dark Knight and the scene with the Joker, when he is in the jail, and the guy has the phone inside him....

I thought the scene on the island was fucking perfect, and the stuff at the end with the Scottish house was fucking perfect. That whole mid-section was also really good, but yeah. It reminded me of the Dark Knight.

It's not a bad thing...I'm just not sure how I feel about it.
Silva was indeed amazing - probably the best part of the movie. He owned every scene he was in. There were a ton of great moments though - I'm looking forward to seeing it again at home...I think the loud people at the theater tainted it a bit for me.

The only thing I don't like, when it comes down to it, is how dull Bond actually is in this movie. He probably experiences the least amount of character development. He's depressed almost the whole time, and doesn't really speak much. It's not Daniel Craig's fault - he's a great actor, it's just how the character was written in this movie.

I think in the next one if they combine the bad assery of Craig's Bond with the charm of Pierce Brosnan's, it would be perfect. I just want to like Bond the character a little more than I do, and be able to relate to him.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #1368
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

I really enjoyed OHMSS as well. I watched it around the time that my buddy and I were playing No One Lives Forever 2.

Spoilers? who hasn't seen it yet though>>

Skyfall was sooo pretty. It culminated so well with the scottish homestead setting. agghh I'll probably go see it again because I enjoyed it that much. I really enjoyed the nostalgia comment that the ride with M signified, as well as the improv fight at his family's estate.

The opening for the movie fell short due to lack of thematic congruence. We were presented with the different set pieces of the film, like a chronological story board and I felt it was inappropriate in terms of Bond openings. The song was nice enough but it just didn't feel right.

I hear you Vampyr on the flat, depressed bond. It kind of makes sence in relation to quantum of solace and the idea that the service hasn't exactly been kind to him.

Something about the opening train-action scene was off. Maybe after watching the Great Train Robbery where Connery literally risked his life, ducking tunnels and all, it made the camera cut back and fight scene style not as grand.. I mean, they biked across the rooftop of the bazaar and it ended with a rather poor cinematography/director choice.
All in all the cinematography was soooo amazing.

Last edited by Seth : 01-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #1369
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I've been doing a lot of renters lately...lots of movies that I just didn't feel were worth the admission price in theaters.

Ted - This movie was dumb as hell, but it had a few hilarious moments...namely the darker kidnapping stuff. Seth MacFarlane isn't funny. I'm sorry. The glory days of Family Guy are long past...and the glue holding this crappy B-comedy together is Marky Mark and Mila Kunis. I laughed, it was cute...I have no desire to watch this again.

Also, Mila Kunis has come a long way since That 70's Show.

Savages - I don't get this movie...because it's awful. It's a movie about two "bros" who like to surf, live in Orange County, and smoke lots of weed. One happens to be a veteran who served in Afghanistan, the other is a peace-loving-Buddhist-douche bag. Somehow, they grow a massive marijuana empire, and the Mexican cartel tries to buy them up.

The movie centers around "Ophelia," played by Blake Lively. Apparently she is on the Disney Channel. Blake Lively is getting double-reamed and DPed by the two bros, although the movie only hints at it.

She gets kidnapped or something...and then shit happens. It's all violent but feels as limp as a tween drama. This shit has to be marketed for the 14-18 demographic.

There's ONE scene that's kind of creepy and cool...with Salma Hayek and Blake Lively...otherwise the rest largely drags. Benecio Del Toro is awesome, as always, but meh. Even he can't save this mess.

The biggest slap in the face (aside from the two bros...chica chica) is the ending. This movie has two endings: an okay ending, and a phoned in Hollywood ending.

My only question is: Oliver Stone, is this entire movie some REALLY meta satire? Is this just a giant "fuck you" to everyone? If so, then this movie is a brilliant farce.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #1370
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

The Cabin in the Woods

This was pretty fun. I always like a good horror movie that messes with the boundaries a bit. You can't say too much about this without spoiling the general idea of it, but it does a pretty amazing job balance a meta-ness without being too annoying.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #1371
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

The Other Guys
Pretty fun. Nice educational end credits.

Looper
Quite liked this, but JGL's makeup looked ridiculous a lot of the time. Also did not expect it to go all Akira at the end. But that was a damn good actor for a kid so young.

Sleepwalk with Me
Great movie. Funny and thought provoking.

Dredd
Wow, that ended up being way better than I expected. I can't find any faults with it. Quite pretty as well. And for once slow motion in an action movie actually makes sense and is integral to the story. It did feel like I was watching a video game at times with that gun of his. Not a bad thing though.
Plus the OST is AWESOME.

Last edited by Teuthida : 12-30-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #1372
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Django Unchained.

Loved it. Tarantino at his best.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #1373
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
The Cabin in the Woods
I enjoyed this one too...and would definitely recommend. There's some stuff in Cabin in the Woods where I was like, "holy shit! that's brilliant!"

Looper was pretty darn good, albeit it kind of heavy-handed and depressing. I think Looper did a good job providing a cohesive story from the two character's vantage points. The movie was well made, minus some nitpicking about time travel paradoxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
Django Unchained.

Loved it. Tarantino at his best.
I enjoyed Django quite a bit...but I'm not sure if it's my favorite Tarantino movie. It got a bit long at the end, but maybe I was just tired.

DiCaprio plays a total scumbag in that movie. He did a really good job.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #1374
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy with friends. Yesterday 1, Friday 2, Monday 3! I forgot how good the movies were, it's been 4 years since I've seen them.

We actually wanted to do a marathon and watch all 3 on 1 day. But nobody was available on the same day... and now we're kind of glad we weren't. Even 1 movie (extended edition) is a long sit!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1375
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy with friends. Yesterday 1, Friday 2, Monday 3! I forgot how good the movies were, it's been 4 years since I've seen them.

We actually wanted to do a marathon and watch all 3 on 1 day. But nobody was available on the same day... and now we're kind of glad we weren't. Even 1 movie (extended edition) is a long sit!
One of the reasons I can't re-watch them
They are good.
But not good enough for me to sit through 3-4 hour movies that often.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1376
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I just put LotR in all the time and have it on in the background. One of my favorite movies to just have going.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1377
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

I've seen LoTR...once. Same with most movies.

John Dies At The End
Sadly this was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed the book a good deal but the movies left out more than half of the story. There really wasn't anyway to include it all I guess...but still, wasn't enough there.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #1378
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I don't think Lord of the Rings has aged as well as I remember the experience for the first time in the theaters.

At some point...I need to sit down and rewatch the trilogy, along with Star Wars. I knocked out Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future a few months ago. Along with the Alien "Quadrilogy" in anticipation for Prometheus.

I should probably do Die Hard as well, in anticipation for the new Die Hard movie...which looks really dumb. But Live Free or Die Hard was okay, so I can't be too cynical.

I still haven't seen The Hobbit and I'm kind of putting it off. The playoffs are going to keep me out of the theater, methinks. And Django was a 3 hour movie...so yeah.

There's a lot of potential renters our right now. I don't particularly give a fuck about Les Miserables, but I'm sure it's good. RENT. Jack Reacher looks stupid, but I bet it's fun if you just want to get drunk and eat popcorn. RENT. This is 40 just looks depressing, I don't even know if I want to rent that shit. I have absolutely no desire to see Lincoln...I'd rather just history channel the real shit. Jim from The Office and Matttttt Dammmmon are definitely pulling for RENT with Promise Land. Parental Guidance is a reminder that Billy Crystal needs to go get more botox and then retire. What a washed up, unfunny, actor.

I still need to rent Paranormal 4 so I can be like, "why?"

And even though "A Huanted House" and "Texas Chainsaw 3D" both look pretty bad...they look bad in a good way. Like...I get to eat popcorn, turn my brain off, and laugh. So I may catch those flix in the theater.

Gangster Squad has to be decent with the cast it has, right? That movie has been hyped up like crazy...I'm hoping it's more gritty than the previews are leading on, and that there is more gangster grit than Ryan Gosling "come hither" moments and finger banging. We get it, Emma Stone and Gosling are hot.

Oh...and I still need to see Hitchcock. Probably a renter in that one too.

It's not a bad time for movies, which is bad, because it's not a bad time for TV shows either. Tooooo much to watch.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #1379
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Seriously, go watch The Hobbit in HFR while you still can. It takes some minutes to get used to, but it's so pretty!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #1380
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

We saw The Two Towers yesterday. I was a bit underwhelmed. It always was the worst of the 3 for me, but I thought that was because it has beginning nor ending. And I figured the books don't have much going on either...

Now I realized it's partly because it's not filmed that well. They tried to add a lot of dramatic stuff, like Aragorn falling off the cliff, Éowyn falling in love with him, the Ents deciding not to go to war, Faramir thinking of taking the Ring... but I feel most of those changes are for the worse.

I'm really really looking forward to finally reading the books again. I read them twice when I was 16/17, but not since. So that's 12 years ago!