And now I'm excited.

Re: Superman: The Man of Steel
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

More action in a 3 minute trailer than 2 hours of Superman Returns..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=398

Download links if anyone is in the market!

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #18
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Thanks for those. Went through frame by frame towards the end to see everything in detail. So cool.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

So glad they're using that line.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
More action in a 3 minute trailer than 2 hours of Superman Returns..

Hey, I actually really liked Superman Returns. In fact its one of my favorite superhero movies.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #23
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:

Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #24
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

The juggling punches aren't new to this trailer but are still the coolest bit for me. Get to see this page in action.

Also Sups breaks the sound barrier with his punches.

Just hoping can see most of the action. They're fast moving blurs a lot of the time in this trailer. Snyder's trademark slow-mo would actually be welcome.

Anyone read the prequel comic?

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

The last trailer is made of awesome. So excited to see Superman actually PUNCH something...

Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #26
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

This movie was so good!

Quote:

Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I know I'm the forum cynic, but I loved **The Wolverine**...I'll probably love me some Iron Man 3 when I rent that shit, and I've enjoyed quite a few summer blockbusters this year.

Man of Steel was dogshit.

I could go into a lengthy rant as to why this movie sucked massive balls, but I feel like a couple of observations need to be stated:

1) Apparently making a good Superman movie is hard

2) Apparently the original cut was over 3 hours long, and Snyder had to edit the shit out of the film

I thought the movie was disjointed and dumb. Zod's motives didn't make a whole lot of sense, and while I greatly enjoyed the opening sequence on Kyrpton, I thought the "ZOD MAD, ZOD REVENGE" thing was dull and boring.

The plot was really contrived. All the shit with young Clark Kent lifting a bus out of the water and seeing everyone's bones reminded me of that tiny budget masterpiece, Chronicle. This film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

There were two good scenes though. The oil rig scene was BADASS. My heart was pounding during that. That was some good shit. The other scene that was well done was the scene when the kids were bullying young Clark, and he just took the abuse...and the bullies walk away, and you see what Clark did to the fence. I thought that was an awesome scene that really conveyed message/meaning. You know...like a movie is supposed to.

The scene where Kevin Costner committed self-mutilation by tornado was probably the dumbest thing I've seen on the big screen since Waterworld. I'm not saying that Kevin Costner should feel bad for being a mediocre B-List actor with no talent that no one gives a shit about, but seriously, if he ever sees a tornado in real life....(I understand that he didn't actually write that awful scene, I'm just saying).

The action scenes were awesome. Some of them were. That was the big deal with this movie, right? A cathartic breather from the offbeat and quirky disaster that was Superman Returns. You know, Superman Returns was a dumb, boring movie...but Brandon Routh has just about everything going towards his portrayal as Superman as Henry Cavill does. That said, Henry Cavill KILLED it in this film. He was by far the best part of this heaping pile of shit. When that dude put on the Superman costume....holy shit. This guy is Superman. He even had a few cutesy moments ala Routh/Reeve.

The best action scene in this movie was the fight in the small desert town where Superman was being thrown into trains, and trains were being thrown into Superman, and that general chick was kicking ass. That was some cool shit.

The stuff at the end of the movie was so...yawn. Pretentious and boring. And what the fuck was with that tentacle world destroyer thing? Can you talk about forced nonsense for the sake of being forced nonsense? Not only was that scene boring as hell, but it made no sense.

This must be a Nolan thing...apparently what passes for "Superhero" these days is the massive destruction of cities. It's funny, because we saw Bane do some serious damage to Gotham, and now we see Zod destroy half of New York/Metropolis...and it couldn't be any less exciting. The end of The Dark Knight was ten times more intense than this fake bullshit. And seriously, did you know that the black guy from The Matrix was in this new Superman movie? Yeah, he's like running from lasers and falling buildings and shit, because apparently The Wachowski Brothers couldn't afford to pay for him to continue to lead people down the rabbit hole, or whatever.

I guess my final gripe will be with Lois Lane. First off, it's a good god damn coincidence that Kryptonians or whatever they are called look like humans. You'd think that Superman, an alien who can see people's freaky bones, would want nothing to do with a lady or her lady bits. But what do I know. Interspecies erotica here we come. Like most of these movies, I thought Lois was kind of underdeveloped. Her bravery (not to be confused with being an empowered woman) was more of a plot vehicle for some confusing bullshit on that spaceship. Also, apparently Zod and the Kryptonites are so smart they can build a spaceship that can block out the radiation from the sun and create a fake atmosphere, but they can't save their exploding planet.

Le what the fuck.

Maybe it was the grueling 2+ hour length, or the mellow dramatic tone, or the sepia colors used, or the lack of fun moments (like when Superman figured out he can fly...not just jump really high). It's like, this movie tried so hard to not be Superman Returns it totally lost sight of things like having fun or having good writing and a story that makes any sense.

The final fight scene was a total rip off of the boring end to the boring and dumb Matrix Revolutions too. Jeez. Dat Jesus allegory.

Once the action/nostalgia boner wares off, this movie is going to age like dogshit. Nolan needs to stop writing these clunkers. He had two winners in Batman Begins/TDK. Quit while you're ahead.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Here's a good review explaining some of the many problems with Man of Steel:

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

While I agree with the Pa Kent bit, I liked the movie as a whole. Well, maybe more so that it set a good stage for the future connected DC movie universe.

Cavill IS Superman. After being submitted to Batman movies with (IMO) some imposter, having this movie make me believe that that was Superman on the screen was a breath of fresh air (and a relief).

Plus going into the movie I had low expectations. All I wanted was for Superman to punch someone. And boy did I get that. Actually DC proper movies have been absolute shit since...almost ever (look at their track record...it's depressing), so getting a passable movie was nice for a change.

Not sure how involved Nolan was with the story. I know as the producer I heard he was almost completely hands off. You also had Goyer as the writer once again. Feel like he'll be writing every DC movie now since those have been the only successful ones sadly. He's also co-writing the Superman and Batman one with Snyder. Have yet to see Sucker Punch so haven't experienced Snyder's writing first hand.

So yeah, I'm primarily content that I got a DC movie I didn't hate. Good foundation with room for improvement. Fingers crossed on how they handle Batman for the sequel.

Man, I really want to like the Half in the Bag guys. They lost me on their TKDR review. They loved that to death.

Thought Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman had a good discussion between two guys with very different views on the film. (If you know about Smith's experience with trying to write Superman previously, the tentacle machine is pretty funny. I'm just hoping that was a nod to Brainiac, and maybe setting him up, since similar to how his ship is portrayed.)

And this one more played for laughs:

Last edited by Teuthida : 07-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #30
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
While I agree with the Pa Kent bit, I liked the movie as a whole. Well, maybe more so that it set a good stage for the future connected DC movie universe.
It did feel like a movie setting the stage for future sequels and the new Batman/Superman film.

Quote:
Plus going into the movie I had low expectations. All I wanted was for Superman to punch someone. And boy did I get that. Actually DC proper movies have been absolute shit since...almost ever (look at their track record...it's depressing), so getting a passable movie was nice for a change.
The original Superman movies were alright.

I thought Batman and Batman Returns were both awesome movies.

Batman Begins and TDK are awesome movies, and awesome comic book films. I felt like TDKR was alright, but it's grown off of me with time and rewatching. I liked Tom Hardy as Bane, he did an awesome job. I thought Anne Hathaway killed it as Catwoman.

I think TDKR was the most "Nolan-y" of those films. I don't know who wrote TDKR, but the film's twist, especially in hindsight, was not as well written as the twist in Batman Begins or the chaos that ensued in TDK.

The action pieces were -- of course -- spectacular. Except for the whole Bane giving an election speech over the pointless destruction of Gotham's football stadium. So much whocares.txt. I honestly thought it was hokey in the preview but just rode the hype ride out. I'm on a tangent, aren't I?

Quote:
Have yet to see Sucker Punch so haven't experienced Snyder's writing first hand.
I've heard only the kindest of things. /snicker

Quote:
Man, I really want to like the Half in the Bag guys. They lost me on their TKDR review. They loved that to death.
I don't always agree with what they say, but they do a good job just drinking delicious New Glarus beer while having opinions coming from a good place.

Quote:
Thought Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman had a good discussion between two guys with very different views on the film. (If you know about Smith's experience with trying to write Superman previously, the tentacle machine is pretty funny. I'm just hoping that was a nod to Brainiac, and maybe setting him up, since similar to how his ship is portrayed.)

And this one more played for laughs:
Nice...I think it's fair to say that Man of Steel had some great bits, and depending on what you want in your movie, it could have worked or it could have missed. For me, it really missed. I feel like I'd rather just grab a comic, or more specifically some crossover that features Superman + the rest of the DC crew. I also enjoy the animated series, and I should get back into those.

In the end, my above rant was slightly hyperbolic, but I hope the next Superman movie is AT THE VERY LEAST a bit more fun.