Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Re: No mohammed discussion?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #61
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS
Default Re: No mohammed discussion?

I don't defend her final answer. I can however see how she is young, probably not practiced on debating, nervous, a little agitated that her question got veered off, and answered a Yes to that final question without thinking what that really meant to answer the question in the way Horowitz put it.

She ought to apologize for such an answer, if she really didn't mean it that way. Otherwise, I'd have to take her at face-value and assume she would support such a statement.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #62
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

If she is unaware of the consequences of her answer or the context of the question then why give an answer at all, especially an answer that tests the waters.

This just reinforces my observation that 99% of all college activists should never become lawyers.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #63
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

My reaction to that young woman's answer is surprising, even to me. I'm not angry or scared or what you might expect... I'm sad. It saddens me, almost the tears, to see someone who is educated, intelligent and privileged have such a destructive and hateful world view, and not only that, but that she would feel so little shame or concern in expressing those views in front of such a diverse audience.

This is chased by the revelation that such ideas and attitudes are not just relegated t the poor and ignorant. I suppose murderous hate is not just a luxury of the poor and stupid.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #64
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
My reaction to that young woman's answer is surprising, even to me. I'm not angry or scared or what you might expect... I'm sad. It saddens me, almost the tears, to see someone who is educated, intelligent and privileged have such a destructive and hateful world view, and not only that, but that she would feel so little shame or concern in expressing those views in front of such a diverse audience.

This is chased by the revelation that such ideas and attitudes are not just relegated t the poor and ignorant. I suppose murderous hate is not just a luxury of the poor and stupid.
Yeah, her answer was pretty sad. How can someone honestly believe things like that? I don't consider myself a humanitarian by any means, but in an ideal world I would not wish death upon anyone.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #65
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Pff, those Danish speak terrible Norwegian... And I thought the cop with the long blond hair was a woman.

Anyway, I also thought the naked Mohammed was very offensive. I can understand how emotions become too much to handle in cases like these.

Not that I agree with how they react of course...

Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #66
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

In other news, Pakistan apparently blocked access to Facebook this Wednesday because of "an online competition to draw the Prophet Mohammad." I've pasted the first page of the article below for your reading pleasure. Please note the particularly scary highlighted quote:

Quote:
SLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan has blocked the popular video sharing website YouTube indefinitely in a bid to contain “blasphemous” material, officials said on Thursday.

The blockade came after the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) directed Internet service providers to stop access to social network site Facebook indefinitely on Wednesday because of an online competition to draw the Prophet Mohammad.

Any representation of the Prophet Mohammad is deemed un-Islamic and blasphemous by Muslims.

Wahaj-us-Siraj, the CEO of Nayatel, an Internet service provider, said the PTA issued an order late on Wednesday seeking an “immediate” block of YouTube.

“It was a serious instruction as they wanted us to do it quickly and let them know after that,” he told Reuters.

YouTube was also blocked in the Muslim country in 2007 for about a year for what it called un-Islamic videos.

A Foreign Office spokesman condemned the publication of caricatures of the Muslim prophet on Facebook and urged countries to “address the issue” which he said was an “extremely sensitive and emotional matter for Muslims.”

“Such malicious and insulting attacks hurt the sentiments of Muslims around the world and can not be accepted under the garb of freedom of expression,” the spokesman, Abdul Basit, told a weekly briefing.

Source: Wired