Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra
 
Vampyr's Avatar
 
Vampyr is offline
Location: Johto
Now Playing: Xenogears
Posts: 5,594
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Not sure if you were joking or if you really agree with me, but if you really believe in God, you'll probably believe that what he wants for us doesn't chance. If practicing homosexuality was wrong 2 millennia ago, it's wrong now.

And Typhoid, you're right. There's a difference between having feelings and practicing them.
Didn't quite a lot change from the Old Testament to the New Testament?

And other things have changed from when the New Testament was written til now - it's no longer considered right or ethical to own slaves, for example.

I think every religious person ultimately ends up cherry picking the things they like and disregarding the things they don't. Religious homosexual people ignore the part that says it's wrong. Religious people who don't believe in slavery ignore that part. Everyone seems to ignore the book of Job.

Maybe 'ignore' isn't the right word, though. It's more like people want to gloss over the things they don't like, or just say "oh, it was a different time". But for some reason they can't let others do that to the things they do like.
__________________
3DS Friend Code: 2707-1776-3011
Nintendo ID: Valabrax
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Not sure if you were joking or if you really agree with me, but if you really believe in God, you'll probably believe that what he wants for us doesn't chance. If practicing homosexuality was wrong 2 millennia ago, it's wrong now.

And Typhoid, you're right. There's a difference between having feelings and practicing them.
Again, what does that have to do with protesting at military funerals? Its ok to believe whatever you want to believe, but when you literally terrorize innocents that makes you an evil, disgusting person and is very much AGAINST Christian belief.

I hope they are REALLY surprised when they die and are greeted with their own special cubicle in Hell.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Angrist
Dutch guy
 
Angrist's Avatar
 
Angrist is offline
Location: Someplace funny
Now Playing:
Posts: 8,638
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Sorry for the confusion; I never talked about protesting at military funerals. Of course nobody should protest at any funeral. Please let people do what they like (religiously).
I was talking about the moment somebody wants to join a religious organisation. In Holland there have been many homosexuals who are upset that they can't receive a hosti (is that what it's called in English too?) in the catholic church. They've been protesting about it, saying that everybody should be able to receive it.

And yeah, God 'changed the rules' when his son came to earth. But there's been nothing new since then.
__________________
It may have other powers than just making you vanish when you wish to... The One Ring
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra
 
Vampyr's Avatar
 
Vampyr is offline
Location: Johto
Now Playing: Xenogears
Posts: 5,594
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

How do we know he hasn't changed them about other things but didn't think it was important enough to go about sending another messiah? Is there a line in the bible that says "if any details change, I'll let you know promptly"?
__________________
3DS Friend Code: 2707-1776-3011
Nintendo ID: Valabrax
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Angrist
Dutch guy
 
Angrist's Avatar
 
Angrist is offline
Location: Someplace funny
Now Playing:
Posts: 8,638
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Yes actually. Let me look it up for you, moment.

There is a pretty literal one:
Revelations 22:18,19
"I am bearing witness to everyone that hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things which are written about in this scroll."

Then there are a lot of times where Jesus (and his disciples) warned about false prophets, or people who would tell something different from what he did.

Anyway, in the end it's pretty much a personal matter of wanting to take the bible literal or not. Not much sense in discussing that.
__________________
It may have other powers than just making you vanish when you wish to... The One Ring
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic
 
Typhoid's Avatar
 
Typhoid is offline
Location: New Caladonia
Now Playing:
Posts: 9,511
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Being that God created everyone, Canadians, Americans, The Taliban, Insurgents, Australians, The Dutch, The Nazi's, Jews, Black People, Muslims, Buddhists, Brits, The French - he sure isn't pissed off that half of them want to kill the other half, let alone don't even believe in him.

Vengeful God was much more exciting than the God that hates fags and brown people. Vengeful God loved brown people, and hated white people. Those were the days.
__________________
Fingerbang:
1.) The sexual act where a finger is inserted into the vagina or anus.
Headbang:
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Being that God created everyone, Canadians, Americans, The Taliban, Insurgents, Australians, The Dutch, The Nazi's, Jews, Black People, Muslims, Buddhists, Brits, The French - he sure isn't pissed off that half of them want to kill the other half, let alone don't even believe in him.

Vengeful God was much more exciting than the God that hates fags and brown people. Vengeful God loved brown people, and hated white people. Those were the days.
God, in a Christian sense, has never hated "brown people". In fact, most of the oppression of foreign `savages' was in a misguided effort to save them through religious conversion. We can argue the results, but there was no hate. In fact, you could say there was mainly love.

Secondly, God may or may not be pissed at people for killing each other. If the 10 commandments are accurate and God exists, I'd say he is. Then again, New Testament God also gave Men free will and reserves punishment for the afterlife, so there nay be plenty of comeuppance... we just don't know.

Also, Typh, your signature quote is also theologically inaccurate. Jesus would have never mandated that a government seize property (taxes) by force and then redistribute that property. Jesus 1) was post-national and did not believe in the power of nations/governments and 2) he believed that people should be charitable of their own volition. That whole free will thing.

In the end, people need to mind their own fucking business. You want to join a bigoted church and hate gays? Go right ahead, just keep in to yourself, and keep your mouths fucking shut.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber
 
thatmariolover's Avatar
 
thatmariolover is offline
Location: Minnesota
Now Playing:
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
God, in a Christian sense, has never hated "brown people". In fact, most of the oppression of foreign `savages' was in a misguided effort to save them through religious conversion. We can argue the results, but there was no hate. In fact, you could say there was mainly love.
That is, unless you ask the Mormons about Native Americans. Then God does hate them.
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic
 
Typhoid's Avatar
 
Typhoid is offline
Location: New Caladonia
Now Playing:
Posts: 9,511
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Strangler, first off - for the sig - take it up with Everclear. It's a song.

Secondly the "God hating brown people" was also tongue-in-cheek. My post was not entirely serious. More aimed at the fact that Jesus was brown, all religion started with brown people, as the whites of the north were pagans, roughly until Rome was converted.

But in all seriousness, I agree with your last sentence. Who is what religion doesn't matter, and it's none of anyone elses business. There's a reason I don't talk about my personal beliefs on the internet, because it's irrelevant. I just wish other people lived like that as well.
__________________
Fingerbang:
1.) The sexual act where a finger is inserted into the vagina or anus.
Headbang:
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds
 
Professor S's Avatar
 
Professor S is offline
Location: Mount Penn, PA
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmariolover View Post
That is, unless you ask the Mormons about Native Americans. Then God does hate them.
I'm not sure Mormon's are Christians in a traditional sense, but your point it taken, but I don't think it alters the general rule. That's not to say that the "love" didn't do tons of damage.

And Typh, Everclear may have written the song but they didn't put it into your sig. When people quote something they generally do so out of agreement. If you quoted it to mock it or for some other reason, I apologize.

Quote:
But in all seriousness, I agree with your last sentence. Who is what religion doesn't matter, and it's none of anyone elses business. There's a reason I don't talk about my personal beliefs on the internet, because it's irrelevant. I just wish other people lived like that as well.
Agreed.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #26
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey
 
Dylflon's Avatar
 
Dylflon is offline
Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12
Posts: 5,223
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

We've gotten off topic.

Those Westboro people are fucking nuts!


What crazy freak even gets off thinking that they and their tiny family are the only people that truly understand God's will?
__________________
Signature
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #27
KillerGremlin
No Pants
 
KillerGremlin's Avatar
 
KillerGremlin is offline
Location: Friggin In The Riggin
Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Posts: 4,566
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Not sure if you were joking or if you really agree with me, but if you really believe in God, you'll probably believe that what he wants for us doesn't chance. If practicing homosexuality was wrong 2 millennia ago, it's wrong now.

And Typhoid, you're right. There's a difference between having feelings and practicing them.
I don't agree with you, per se. I respect that you are firm in your position regarding religion. You're not like the masses of people who want their cake (afterlife) and want to eat it too (druggin', sexin', not going to church ever, being gay, etc.).

Now if only we can apply your logic to the real world, I think we'd have a lot less religious people or a lot less annoying druggin', sexin' posers at mass every Easter and Christmas.
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #28
TheSlyMoogle
Knight
 
TheSlyMoogle's Avatar
 
TheSlyMoogle is offline
Location: Morehead, KY
Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Posts: 2,000
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Hmm I wonder how long it will be before religion is mostly obsolete?

OR before some new religion basically replaces christianity?
__________________
Guilty Gear Anyone?
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Angrist
Dutch guy
 
Angrist's Avatar
 
Angrist is offline
Location: Someplace funny
Now Playing:
Posts: 8,638
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Actually, the Bible itself predicts that religion will lose its popularity and eventually be attacked by politics.
__________________
It may have other powers than just making you vanish when you wish to... The One Ring
  Reply With Quote

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
TheSlyMoogle
Knight
 
TheSlyMoogle's Avatar
 
TheSlyMoogle is offline
Location: Morehead, KY
Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Posts: 2,000
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Actually, the Bible itself predicts that religion will lose its popularity and eventually be attacked by politics.
Oh hey because that had never happened before in society pre-biblical times.
__________________
Guilty Gear Anyone?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GameTavern