Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1261
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE
Default Re: Last movies you saw

I bet the horse dies at the end.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1262
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I'm watching the 2 Star Wars trilogies with neighbours (2 girls had never seen them). We're doing them in this order: 4,5,6,1,2,3
Yesterday it was time for Episode I. Some creatures speak a weird language and we hadn't loaded any subtitles... and the creepy thing was that I was able to translate pretty much all of it. Just out of memory. That's what you get when you watch it more than 5 times?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #1263
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Its not 2 trilogies, its a sextilogy.
And you watched episode one more than 5 times?
You brave soul, I could barely make it through the first time.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1264
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine 017 View Post
You brave soul, I could barely make it through the first time.
Meesa no thinks too badbad. brbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrrbbrbrbr.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #1265
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

The battles are pretty amazing.

And I'd rather see them as 2 separate trilogies. They're so different. We actually had a huge discussion with the girls about the large difference in style. They pointed out it makes no sense that the fighting style of 4/5/6 is slower than in 1/2/3. We did our best defending the SW lore, but in the end it comes down to the difference in film styles.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #1266
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Shutter Island - 2nd time through and I'm only halfway. The film charms with is use of dream colours and the frantics. Scorsese pretty much made double metaphors out of everything in this film.

Charade - Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn. Her flutter eyes and Grant's humour make this an enjoyable romp through 1963; mock feminist fun.

Bobby Fischer Against the World - Pseudo doc on THE chessmaster. I would read up thoroughly on Fischer before taking the slant of this film. Exceptional children and the role of media. Interesting case study.

Monkey Business (1952) - Early Monroe and Grant comedy. Funny/silly
Which reminds me I never got all the way through Monkey Business (marx bros). Sooo funny.

A Night in Casablanca (1946) - This marx bros movie was pretty good. Some pretty good laughs.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #1267
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Fargo
Fine. Seemed a little weird to introduce the hero so far in. Guess she would have just been going about normal police work before things went down, being a true story and all, rather than tie in some other way.

The Fighter
Quite good. Always love Christian Bale when he's not dressed as a bat. The rest of the cast weren't half bad either.

Horrible Bosses
Not a good movie. It appeared to have potential at first but came off as disjointed. It was probably due to having watched the extended version though. Could see a bunch of things that should have been cut. Either way, a lot of the jokes fell flat for me. But hey, two cameos from The Wire.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #1268
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I saw Johnny English Reborn a few weeks ago. Don't watch it, it's terrible. It's trying hard to be funny, but it just doesn't work.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #1269
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Saw The Chronicle over the weekend. Pretty good movie, and pleasantly short. Not a lot of filler.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #1270
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Fargo
Fine. Seemed a little weird to introduce the hero so far in. Guess she would have just been going about normal police work before things went down, being a true story and all, rather than tie in some other way.
Fargo is one of my favorite movies ever. As with most of the Coen brother films...it is really just a black, black comedy with some hilarious social commentary and interesting people on screen. Also, the cinematography is OUTSTANDING. There are a couple of long shots out on the highway that are just spectacular.

I'm a film and music geek...and I would put Fargo in my top 100 for sure. Easy. The music is outstanding too:

William H. Macy is awesome too. I love that guy.

Anywayyyyy....

Moneyball - This was really good. I think it captures the spirit of sports and why people love the game. Brad Pitt is always interesting on screen, and the guy is always eating food in his movies! I swear he talks to the directors about eating food on screen. Check this out:

Brad Pitt, ALWAYS EATS FOOD IN HIS FILMS!!!!!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - This movie did nothing for me. It didn't capture any social or racial justice like the original films, and it didn't have any particularly dark or unique twists. Other than that, it was a standard "good film." Worth seeing, probably on DVD, but I wouldn't seek it out again.

Repo Men - Terrible. This movie sucked. I think what pisses me off the most is that the ending is a carbon copy rip off of Brazil. And I'm pretty sure the "trick ending" is the only reason people are giving this movie good reviews. This is a muddled, messy, disjointed, poorly put together film that meanders, has no direction, and cannot figure out if it is Blade or some dark dystopian social commentary. Avoid this piece of crap and just go watch Brazil which is a much more interesting and funny film.

How can you NOT want to watch a movie which features this soundtrack:

But yeah. Repo Men has flashes of black comedy...flashes of horror...flashes of dystopian social commentary. But it never really unifies or pulls together one theme. The ending is a ripoff and just feels like a cheap tack-on to boost the movies "intellectual chops." The cinematography is whack. You get some close up and creepy horror shots, and Matrix/Blade style action shots. Really, just avoid this piece of crap and go watch Brazil, Blade, The Matrix, and Minority Report.

So yeah. That's my movie roundup for the night.

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 02-07-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #1271
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Attack the Block

Really fun UK horror/thriller/comedy. I think if I hadn't ever listened to a Dizzee Rascal record I wouldn't have understood what some of these kids were saying. That said, it was charming, funny, and over quickly as it should have been.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1272
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Ides of March - Ryan Gosling can cum all over my face. Oh, this was a pretty good thriller too.

Paranormal Activity 3 - I guess I'm a fan of the series, I saw the first two. Number two was the most terrifying, really hitting that Poltergeist note to great effect. This movie added humor and some much needed back story involving some creepy exorcism stuff. There were a number of good gags as well, including a set piece with a bed sheet that merits renting this movie if you like horror.

[Rec] - The Spanish original that was remade as "Quarantine." Way better than the American version. There are a couple of "gross out" scenes and a scene with a kid that is compelling. The ending makes more sense as well. Sure, it isn't as dressed up in CGI or million-dollar effects, but some of the shots were actually more effective. And I always feel like a stranger when I watch a foreign film, and to me that adds a layer of unknown which creates some horror depth. I plan to just sit down and watch the series, both Spanish and American. [Rec 3] is coming out 2012!

Catfish - Profoundly interesting if you are remotely interested in human interactions (both in terms of the film's premise and in the likelihood the film itself is exaggerated or fabricated). This movie did throw a completely touching curve ball at the end, and ended on a very humble and non-judgmental note that almost pulled some heartstrings except by that point I was debating if this documentary is legit or a hoax (I have a list of like 100 reasons why this documentary did not actually happen, but I digress...). The movie negates some of the cautionary stuff that a privileged person might not have to deal with, but overall an interesting documentary.

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 02-15-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #1273
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Twilight: Breaking Uterus

As always, a hilariously cheesy, poorly written, and poor acted good time. My favorite part was the tacked out, out of nowhere climax based on a "law" that had never existed until that moment.

One good thing: I thought the effects they did for Bella withering away were very effective.

KG - Brazil is one of my favorite movies of all time. It ranks up there with the greats, and is easily the best Gilliam has ever made, followed by Tideland.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #1274
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I have not seen Tideland, I will have to check it out.

My favorite Gilliam films are Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. You can't forget Monty Python either. Brazil is easily one of my favorite films. It is such a memorable, bleak, and dark, dark comedy. There's also a lot going on in that film.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #1275
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Chronicle - I'll have to see this one again, but this may sneak into my top 5 favorite comic book movies. There was so much joy in this film, so many good special effects, and a few moments that really made me wish I could fly.

I mean, this movie captured what X-Men touched on a bit, and Spider-Man failed to capture, which is the realization of your powers, and then the implications.

And I think the movie's budget was a humble 12 to 15 million, and it looks phenomenal.

Comic nerds, go see this movie.