Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Music

When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirvana?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirvana?

So with the death of Q101 Chicago is completely without an alternative rock station. It's a sad fucking state of music affairs in the Windy City, but thanks to a booming online music scene radio is dead to just about anyone who really cares about music.

On the other hand, since they killed Q101, Loveline is no longer broadcast in Chicago. I've been streaming Loveline via online radio, and was surprised to find some really good Alt-Rock stations. In Buda, Texas they have a sweet Alt-Rock station that plays a nice mix of old alternative shit like STP, RHCP, Sublime, and new stuff like Foster the People, MGMT, etc.

So this got me thinking about radio and the current state of things. Chicago has a bunch of oldies stations that play the same fucking lineup of boring Beatles songs. We also have our "classic rock" station that murders Zeppelin and Floyd and Rush.

So my question is: when does Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Weezer and Red Hot Chili Peppers become classic rock or oldies? Nevermind recently celebrated 20 years. So did Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

When can we bump Motley Crue to oldies? And when can the Beatles get dumped on classical rock?

Is this a symptom of mainstream radio not having enough stations or outlets? I assume satellite radio has a Beatles station or true oldies, and a "fuckin' hair metal, man!" station.

I just want my future kids to be raised on a steady diet of Weezer, RHCP, and Nirvana. Beatles and Stones are going to be relegated to campfire music. Daddy is going to learn how to play 3 chords on his acoustic guitar, and he is gonna kill that shit.

Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Default Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv

My current perception of radio stations:

Oldies = Beatles, Monkees, Kinks, etc.

New Country Music = Fuck if I know any artists from here, I refuse to listen to this watered down shit

Oldie Country = Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams

Classic Rock = Zeppelin, Rush, Styx

Alt Rock = Anything from 90 and up avoiding shitty hair metal bands that kept making albums

Top 40 rotating rap/pop station = Adele, Eminem, Lil Wayne. FUCK THIS STATION. 2 hours will cover every song they will play. Tune in all day and you will hear the same songs 12 times.

So when can we start bumping old alternative rock into classic rock? You cannot argue that Nirvana is not classic rock at this point.

Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360
Default Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv

This is interesting. I have heard our classic rock station play older RHCP songs like under the bridge and such. But only once every so often. To be fair its been like 25 years since their debut album.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I actually listen to the "classic rock" station because I'm into the Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan etc, things like that - but lately I've heard them play some really early grunge. I forget specifically what it was, but that was the first time I really felt 'old' (despite not being old), because I heard this song on the classic rock station that I was totally into as a kid. That was a special moment.

But I think the transition is a lot simpler than we look at it. I think music gets added to a "classic rock" station as it's listener base matures. That can be judged just based on the requests they get. If any classic rock station starts getting a noticable amount of requests for Nirvana (or any other band, and that band fits the stations style), it will get played frequently.

I've noticed the classic Rock station here, while still playing 60's and 70's has now really pumped up the amount of 80's rock they play. Motley Crue, Sabbath. Hell, I'm listening to it right now, and it's playing "Run to the Hills." Iron Maiden on a classic rock station in the middle of the day.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

We used to request some fuckin Freebird by Lynard Skynard all the time on our local pop radio station.

Usually we just got hung up on on told not to call back again

Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I get trying to be young again, celebrating nostalgia, etc....

But some dude went ripping through my neighborhood on his Harley-esque motorcycle the other day. Like one of these big ass things with the compartments in the rear:

My neighborhood is suburban, white as fuck...there are kids and shit running around. Dudes mowing the lawn. Think King of the Hill or whatever. This was at 6pm. This dude comes roaring down the street revving that thing up....blasting Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls."

It's a great song, and between all the heroin and sex there is a truly dark side to the Motley Crue...but it's 2011 man. That is just super cheesy. I was L-O-Ling. But hey, I'm sure he felt like a badass.

Out of all the decades, the 80s has aged the worst. Hair metal is hilariously bad and everyone knows it. The only thing worse than hair metal are maybe some of the crappy electro-synth prog rock bands like Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Out of all the decades, the 80s has aged the worst. Hair metal is hilariously bad and everyone knows it. The only thing worse than hair metal are maybe some of the crappy electro-synth prog rock bands like Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Talking about which music has aged better is moot. It's all taste. No matter what's been made and when it was made, someone will like it.
Personally, I actually enjoy Motley Crue, and Van Halen (And other 80's metal). As long as I don't have to watch them in their stupid tights and retarded hairstyles, I'm okay.

It's like when people say 'Freebird' sucks. Fuck you, Freebird is a great song. Douchey college kids ruined it by not knowing any other ballads from that era.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I love Van Halen.

1984....best album ever. I still blast Hot For Teacher when I work out at the gym.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
susan geogre
Banned

Now Playing:

nike heels HONG KONG (CNNMoney) jordan heels-- women jordan heels BP is closing in on a deal that Nike Air Jordan 5 Heels would result in the sale of Nike Air Jordan 6 Heels most of its Russia-based assets Nike Air Jordan 6 Ring Heels to Rosneft, monster beats a state-owned oil and gas beats by dre company with close ties monster beats over ear to the government of Vladimir Putin. beats by dre over ear BP said Monday it was in monster beats studio"advanced discussions"beats by dre studio regarding the sale of its 50% stake Tai Chi Chuan in TNK-BP, Tai Chi clothing and named Rosneft as the potential buyer. Tai chi shoes The TNK-BP partnership has tai chi clothe blue been a lucrative one for BP. tai chi clothes But the relationship has been tai chi clothing and shoes difficult at times. monster beats BP is Russian offices have beats by dr dre been raided frequently, monster over-ear and TNK has in the past blocked BP from monster in-ear doing business with Rosneft. monster Artist Series U.S.-listed shares of London-based BP increased 3% in Monster Team Collection recent days as rumors about the deal circulated in the media and on trading floors.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
susan geogre
Banned

Now Playing:

jordan heels The most serious confrontations women jordan heels were in the northern city of Tripoli, Nike Air Force 1 Heels where at least three people were killed. Nike Air Jordan 1 Heels In Beirut, Nike Air Jordan 3.5 Heels gunmen exchanged fire and police used tear gas to disperse crowds outside the prime minister is office. snow boots store Gen Hassan and at least snow boots store outlet two other people were killed ugg snow boots in a car bomb attack hot womens snow boots in the capital on Friday. UGG 1872 Bailey Button Boots The head of the intelligence UGG Classic Cardy Boots branch of the Internal Security hermes bags Forces had been an outspoken hermes birkin critic of the government hermes kelly of Bashar al-Assad in neighbouring Hermes Briefcase Syria and its allies in Lebanon, Hermes Bolide and Lebanese opposition figures Hermes Constance have blamed Damascus for the attack. snow boot They have called on ugg store Prime Minister Najib Mikati to resign. ugg boots He offered to do so on ugg triplet boot Saturday but President Michel UGG Bailey Button boots Suleiman asked him to UGG Classic Short Boots stay on in the national interest. nike heels

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
susan geogre
Banned

Now Playing:

monster beats Thousands of people attended Gen Hassan beats by dre is state funeral in Beirut on Sunday, monster beats in ear which rapidly became beats by dre in ear a political rally against monster beats over ear both Mr Mikati and Syria. herve leger Addressing the funeral, herve leger dress former Prime Minister herve leger 2012 Fouad al-Siniora, Herve Leger Bandage dresses a prominent member of the Evening dresses Western-backed 14 Herve Leger strapless March opposition alliance, monster beats blamed the government for his death, beats by dr dre and said it must stand down, monster over ear headphones insisting: monster beats studio"No dialogue over the blood of our martyrs. Monster Beats Pro " Later, in southern districts of the capital, monster beats solo HD security forces and gunmen exchanged fire.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Susan Geogre... I think I love you.