Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default Resident Evil: Afterlife

I will see this, even though it will be bad, I will see it and enjoy it. Thank you badass female ninja-superhuman characters.

Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife
Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Been waiting for this trailer ever since Milla Jovovich tweeted about it.

I'll definitely be watching it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

This stupid movie franchise is still alive? It has a Mary Sue protagonist for crying out loud. How could any thinking person like it?

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
This stupid movie franchise is still alive? It has a Mary Sue protagonist for crying out loud. How could any thinking person like it?
Because you suspend all thought except:

"Ooooh Backflips are sweet"

"Did you see that roundhouse kick? She fucking took off that zombie head with her god damn foot."

"HOLY SHIT NEMESIS!"

It's a combination fan-boy/just being a boy. If martial arts are involved we're pretty much going to enjoy it.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Normally I would agree with you, but the martial arts in the movies isn't very well performed or shot at all (it's pretty clear that Milla Jovovich doesn't actually know any martial arts and Paul Anderson doesn't know how to shoot action).

And I say again that Alice is a Mary Sue. She literally fits the definition of the term. She is an original character created by the author and inserted into the story. She is supposedly perfect in every possible way. And she overshadows every other canon character in the story. I know the RE storyline is cheese, but it still deserves better than this. Would it really have been that hard to just make Milla Jovovich play Jill?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

It's like the Transformers of zombie movies. Big, stupid, full of cheesey special effects...but with a big bag of popcorn it makes a Friday night less boring. I actually like 1 and 3 (2 kind of isn't that great). Probably will be a renter for me, just like the other 3. But hey, I'm not complaining.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
Normally I would agree with you, but the martial arts in the movies isn't very well performed or shot at all (it's pretty clear that Milla Jovovich doesn't actually know any martial arts and Paul Anderson doesn't know how to shoot action).
Quote:
She practices Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in addition to other varieties of martial arts. Jovovich also enjoys playing the guitar, writing in a diary, and writing poems and lyrics for songs.
You would be surprised to learn this? Actually if you must know pretty much any time you see a female doing martial arts in a film, they were picked because they practice some form of martial arts.

Take Sarah Michelle Geller. You know buffy? Picked because she fit the part and she was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

Oh who else... Wesley Snipes has studied martial arts all his life.

I mean yeah most of the big stuff is probably still stunt men and junk, I know especially buffy stuff was mostly handled by stunt girls, but a lot of the episodes were just gellar kicking ass on her own. I can't say how much of RE stuff is Jovavich, but wouldn't say she doesn't know anything about real martial arts.

Well it's 12:20 AM here and I've already proved one person wrong in the day. I can now relax and enjoy the rest of my day.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Your source seems to be Wikipedia and IMDB which are not exactly rigorous paragons of journalistic integrity. She may "practice" martial arts but that doesn't mean she's any good at them. Anybody can say they practice martial arts if they go to a few classes every week, but that doesn't mean they know anything about fighting. I know three martial arts. I have friends who are MMA fighters. We would all tell you that Jovovich's stance and the fundamentals of her technique are all wrong. Now if you had told me that Milla Jovovich has certified rank from an instructor I know about, that would be one thing. But as it is, I'm sticking with my opinion. She's pretending to know martial arts, but she doesn't actually.

Also, I don't know what you think Sarah Michelle Gellar has to do with any of this. Or Wesley Snipes. I'm aware that they are accomplished martial artists in real life (although I'd say Wesley Snipes much more so than Sarah Michelle Gellar). They certainly don't prove that all women cast in action movies know martial arts. Uma Thurman in Kill Bill? Carrie-Ann Moss is the Matrix movies? Almost everybody in the Dead or Alive movie? Angelina Jolie in everything she's done? They all "trained in martial arts in order to prepare for the role."

And Ailce is still a frakking Mary Sue.