Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #348
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
Lori should just stop talking. Always causing fights. She convinces Rick that Shane is crazy (rightfully so I guess) and the result is them trying to kill each other.

Lori gives Shane a big talk this episode which reveals her ambiguous feelings about him. The result is that Shane thinks that maybe he could have Lori if Rick was gone. Then we know what happens after.

She's definitely a shit disturber.

Women.
Wait.
Pregnant women.
Am I right.
Up top.
Right here.
Maybe she's crazy, doesn't know who's baby it is - and wants the protector of her and the child to be the strongest of the two, thusly pitting them against eachother in some type of Darwinian battle. She loves them both and she can't decide, being a pregnant hormonal women (lol), so she figures in her crazy-ladymind that it will sort itself out, and the strongest of the two will 'win' her. Sort of like Gorillas!

I thought it was a pretty solid episode. I didn't expect Shane to die. I actually thought Rick was going to take a bullet. I was expecting them to take the most unexpected route. I don't mind Rick as an actor most of the time (not that I minded Shane), but I'm not complaining.
I also was thinking of Rick's voice being sort of shitty, line delivery and all aswell - but thinking on it now, I'm just chalking it up to the fact he thought he was going to get shot by his insane best friend who was going to steal his son and fuck his wife. So now, I'll go with "good acting", and not "actor with a chest cold". But I mean, clearly sometimes you can tell he's trying to ham it up when he's giving his monologues - like in season 1 when he'd radio to [black guy and son], or last episode when he was talking to Carl about 'growing up'. It's like they're directing him to try read them like they are a line in a comic book, and gave him Christian Bale Batman tapes to study for accents.

Quote:
Example: In the book Carl kills Shane to save his father, and that is a pretty big moment in his life that you could say defines his character and sets a huge expectation for the new world everyone lives in. Having Rickkill Shane must have been a conscious decision, and I'm curious as to why they make their choices. I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know.
Well, Carl does shoot zombie-Shane who is about to eat his dad's brains from behind. So he does still save his dad's life, just not in the same way.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #349
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
This is hilarious. I thought this scene was kind of terrible in actual context, but this is awesome.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #350
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Vamp, I thought the same thing last night. I'm not a fan of Lincoln's portrayal as Rick. He's kind of like a pensive mannequin. Very one note so far, but Shane being his foil has really helped make him more interesting. Looking at the previews for the following week, though, hopefully the character breaks out a bit.

I'm getting the feeling the show is going to kill off a few more people next week. I see most of Hershel's family, including Hershel, biting it with Maggie being he sole survivor (saved by Glen). What's interesting is that this will leave the group relatively weak against the Governor next season unless they pick up some new characters. I'd rather they develop whoever remains, though.

One day I'd love to hear an explanation of why certain aspects of the show were changed. Example: In the book Carl kills Shane to save his father, and that is a pretty big moment in his life that you could say defines his character and sets a huge expectation for the new world everyone lives in. Having Rickkill Shane must have been a conscious decision, and I'm curious as to why they make their choices. I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know.
Network censorship maybe?

I can't stand the kid. I think they really dropped the casting ball with that one. What we need are either more kids...or less kids.

For me, this week's episode was like a step back. I don't know. This entire Season has lacked any serious zombie threat...and this episode they suddenly start boarding up the house. I mean, shouldn't that have been episode 2? Maybe instead of fixing the well they could have boarded up the house. I get it: Hershel wasn't planning on letting them live there. But in the case of an emergency zombie outbreak, wouldn't having a fortified house make sense?

Okay, so I'm back to nitpicking about bad writing. I'll stop. Lori is truly annoying...I can't stand Andrea....Rick is annoying...the kid can't act...

There were like random extras on set today. That's happened a few times. Of course the black guy is helping move all the shit, and "no you aren't sleeping on the couch." "Okay, masta sir!"

Honestly? I'm rooting for Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl. Seeing Daryl and Glenn work together was the highlight of the episode for me. So far, this show has failed miserably at the drama. I also feel like the farm stuff has been fairly meh. The past few episodes have been very interesting....because we are getting new scenery, new characters, and not focusing on this group's tired ass drama.

This was like a solid B episode for me. I feel like Rick and Carl are still both way underdeveloped. Carl didn't kill Shane. If you think about it...Rick didn't really kill Shane. I mean he waited til the last second, and begrudgingly busted out a knife. Is this the same badass who is going to keep shit together down the road?

I predict they abandon the farm next episode and find the prison. If Meryl is the Governor I will be sad.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #351
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Oh yeah I was wondering about something... Rick and Shane walk miles through the forest to the spot where Shane wants to kill Rick. And suddenly - tadaa!! - there's the kid watching them. ò_Ô What the heck is he doing there!!?! Or did Shane lead them back to the farm and did he want to shoot Rick within hearing distance of everybody else??

Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #352
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Oh yeah I was wondering about something... Rick and Shane walk miles through the forest to the spot where Shane wants to kill Rick. And suddenly - tadaa!! - there's the kid watching them. ò_Ô What the heck is he doing there!!?! Or did Shane lead them back to the farm and did he want to shoot Rick within hearing distance of everybody else??
The camera cut to Carl (the kid) standing in the window, looking out. When they did that camera shot, I immediately asked myself, "I wonder if Carl is leaving the house." And I guess he did....how Carl found them I have no idea.

It seemed like Rick and Shane were fairly close to the house when all the drama went down. But it seemed like they were walking for miles. What amazes me is that they went out walking in the dark, like wtf.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #353
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

The gun went off when he got stabbed. Carl heard it and came looking.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #354
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
This entire Season has lacked any serious zombie threat...and this episode they suddenly start boarding up the house. I mean, shouldn't that have been episode 2? Maybe instead of fixing the well they could have boarded up the house. I get it: Hershel wasn't planning on letting them live there. But in the case of an emergency zombie outbreak, wouldn't having a fortified house make sense?

Okay, so I'm back to nitpicking about bad writing.

Not to constantly be the defendant; but -

Quote:
I get it: Hershel wasn't planning on letting them live there. But in the case of an emergency zombie outbreak, wouldn't having a fortified house make sense?
Then no, you do not get it. Hershel wasn't aware of "the outside". He thought they were curable, he didn't know they would come to his house, and attempt to slaughter him. That is the only reason he had them in the barn. That is why he didn't have his house boarded up.
That God-fearing man had no reason in his mind to board up his house to protect himself of the Walking Dead. That's why it already wasn't protected. Come on man, you're watching the show. It's like you're purposely forgetting things they spend ample time discussing in previous episodes because you're looking for something to complain about.

Quote:
Of course the black guy is helping move all the shit, and "no you aren't sleeping on the couch." "Okay, masta sir!"
Why do you go and have to be racist like that. A white guy isn't allowed to tell a black guy that the couch he owns is taken, without someone who's (hopefully jokingly) looking for things to pick apart saying "lol 21st century, black man doing work for a white guy and being told what to do", where as I refute with "lol 21st century, he's allowed to help and be part of the group like any human being, and be told not to go places like every other normal person. That is equality."
When I see a writer doing things like that in a show with a black person I think "Good for you. You're not afraid of writing honestly. You're not going to walk on eggshells and not write a black actor into normal roles because you're afraid someone will make some bullshit slavery connection for no fucking reason."

Man, I don't get why people watch a show if all everyone ever says about it is always negative. In 2 seasons I've only seen/recalled maybe 5 positive posts that were not from me. and I don't mean posts that are filled with hate on the last episode, and sprinkled with a positive "but".

Here is my summary of the majority of people who watch this show commenting after every episode:

"I don't get the show. I don't like the direction they're taking _______. The acting is bad, I don't feel invested in any characters. And how did _____ get ____ without _____ knowing/thinking/seeing _____? That doesn't make sense. Why did they cast ____ as ______ anyways? He/she can't act ______ as well as I hoped that character would be acted. I'm so ________ that they're still _________. _______ is such a ______, fuck. Why can't _______ ________ _______. The worst scene of last episode was when _______ and ______ were _______ by the _______ with _____. Like _____, why can't ______ just _____. That would make _____ so much _______. Every week I watch this show my life gets significantly worse. The 48 minutes I spend every Sunday watching this glorified pile of vomit are worth it though, for the 5 minutes that I think are cool, so it's okay. I like the show, that's why I watch it."
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #355
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Why do you go and have to be racist like that. A white guy isn't allowed to tell a black guy that the couch he owns is taken, without someone who's (hopefully jokingly) looking for things to pick apart saying "lol 21st century, black man doing work for a white guy and being told what to do", where as I refute with "lol 21st century, he's allowed to help and be part of the group like any human being, and be told not to go places like every other normal person. That is equality."
I would say you are being pedantic, but even you expressed some doubt that my comment was completely serious when you said: "someone who's (hopefully jokingly) looking for things to pick apart." That would be correct...I made that comment as a joke.

But if my comment was a joke, then where does the humor come from?

And this is where I can say you have ignored context. So far T-Dog has been nothing but a throwaway character. His existence in the series is seriously questionable, especially since his character does not exist in the comic. Add in the fact that he has very few speaking lines, no subplots, and he has a stereotypically racist name "T-Dog".....it isn't a huge leap to suggest that he is the "token black guy." And that TV TROPE does exist:

It's the "Token Minority" trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../TokenMinority
Quote:
Token Minority is a character designed to get more minority groups into the plot.
And oh, guess what? On the Token Minority trope page, T-Dog is actually cited as an example of the trope!

Quote:
Played painfully straight in The Walking Dead with T-Dog, who is the only major character in the series not to have any sub-plots and little dialog. Extremely apparent in Season 2 episode "Judge, Jury, Executioner" in which the group deliberates whether or not to kill Randall, the episode focuses on the opinions of every member of the group except T-Dog whose one line of dialog is cut off by Dale.
So to answer the question, "where does the humor come from when KillerGremlin makes a joke about T-Dog." The answer is that it comes from the applied context, that has already been established by anyone watching the show. Which is that T-Dog is as useless of a character as useless characters come.

So when T-Dog is featured in a scene moving shit, it is hilarious for me to make jokes like, "Yes, masta sir." Because my joke is blatantly racist, which is a nice commentary to attach to some of the implied criticisms of T-Dog's character.

So I have to strongly disagree with your observation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
When I see a writer doing things like that in a show with a black person I think "Good for you. You're not afraid of writing honestly. You're not going to walk on eggshells and not write a black actor into normal roles because you're afraid someone will make some bullshit slavery connection for no fucking reason."
Edit: Amazingly, the Walking Dead writers were able to develop a NON token minority black guy in episode 1 of the TV show. This guy is a perfect example of a developed character:

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Mo...28TV_Series%29

I would love to see a follow up with what happened to him, no? I would be okay with a 10 minute flashback at the start of an episode, before cutting back to current events.

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 03-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #356
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Yeah I really thought they'd take that storyline with the negro father and son somewhere. (Am I allowed to say negro these days? I'm so confused about what's considered racist and not in the States...)

What I also liked about the first episodes is that the zombies still had some personality left. The wife still knew where she lived. The zombie girl still walked around with her bunny doll.
I guess the writers ran out of ideas after that, because I never have got the same feeling again after that.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #357
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Negro is not usually an acceptable term, it's something you only hear really old people say, and then everyone kind of stands there being uncomfortable.

It's kind of absurd what's considered racist and what isn't. For some reason "black" is not racist. Neither is "African-American", even though a lot of dark skinned people are not of African decent.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #358
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I thought for sure "black" would be racist. It's not realy black is it? More like brown... in all kind of shades.
I'm pretty sure that in a while "African-American" will also be considered racist.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #359
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
I thought for sure "black" would be racist. It's not realy black is it? More like brown... in all kind of shades.
I'm pretty sure that in a while "African-American" will also be considered racist.
Well, I'm "white" but I'm actually more of a pinkish tan...

We think about this stuff way too hard.

Last edited by Professor S : 03-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #360
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Posted by Steven Yuen (actor who plays Glenn) on his Reddit AMA (ask me anything) thread:
Quote:
I think it's great that you hate Lori. When I hear something like that I smile and think about what an amazing job Sarah Wayne Callies has done and also how fearless the writing is with her character.

What I find interesting about TV and the audience reaction sometimes is that everyone tends to want each character to be likable or consistent. Even with villians, if they are consistent, they kind of like them. Then, when a villian displays some sort of warmth, they go bonkers because they love the idea of a villian with a heart of gold.

But how come it's harder to swallow when it's a good person that isn't consistently good?

I remember reading the comic and HATING Lori. I hated her because she was bipolar; irrational in one moment but then suddenly rational the next. Loving one moment, and scornful the next. But then I realized as I took a step back and looked at the whole that her character is completely necessary and makes for interesting drama.

They are in a zombie apocalypse. They are going to be inconsistent. People are going to mess up. People are going to be irrational. People are going to be selfish. People are also going to be good.