Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

The Great Debate
Old 03-02-2002, 05:35 PM   #1
Drunk Hobbit

Now Playing:
Exclamation The Great Debate

I expressed some of my ramblings to BaB. Your feelings?

Danchastu: *thud*

Danchastu: Question: Besides Shiggy does anyone else make original first party games for Nintendo?

Penguin Bobby: um sure.. but none as famous

Danchastu: He seems to have control over every single project though.

Penguin Bobby: haha he directs

Penguin Bobby: he doesn't directly control

Danchastu: I think Mario Sunshine was gonna look like how it did at spaceworld then he told the guy to make it to be like Mario 64 and hence the new graphic change

Penguin Bobby: I think u misinterpreted da quote

Danchastu: Ok then why doesn't the Arctic One explain it

Penguin Bobby: da quote if u will

Danchastu: Actually, at this time, we're on this media tour showing the game to people, but we're not really talking in too much detail about the contents of the game. [laughs] It's true that Mario 64 really was a very, very innovative game when it came to the execution of action in a 3D world. So really what we see Mario Sunshine as being is kind of a continuation and expansion of Mario 64. So while we're working with this idea of maintaining the same system and style of gameplay as Mario 64, the director is really trying to add new elements. I mean, you see in the video that Mario is now carrying a water cannon, and that's going to play a role in the game. But he has so many ideas and so many things that he wants to implement into the game that it would take a very, very long time to get them all in there, so we're at a point where I've kind of stopped him and said, "You know it's OK if the game is more like Mario 64." But I think you are going to see that there are a lot of other things that have kind of been piled in there to help round out the game, and it's going to be something for everyone to look forward to.

Penguin Bobby: ok good.. now wut did u think it meant

Danchastu: That the director was changing Mario a lot with all the tropical stuff and making the world look realistic and such adding a bunch of new elements. Then Miyamoto comes by and drop kicks this guy's ass telling him to stop with all the ideas and base it more off Mario 64. Thus the style changed to resemble more of the Mario 64 look.

Penguin Bobby: hahah

Penguin Bobby: I think da quote refers more to da gameplay

Danchastu: You would that if there wasn't such a drastic change in the overall look of the game since SpaceWorld.

Penguin Bobby: Well how do we know it was a change afterwards?

Danchastu: because those shots are from the new video

Danchastu: Old stuff wouldn't be shown without being called old stuff

Penguin Bobby: u mean new as in recently released.. dat doesn't mean it was a new game

Penguin Bobby: did they call it new stuff?

Penguin Bobby: dey r new shots

Danchastu: ya

Penguin Bobby: doesn't mean it's an updated version of da game

Danchastu: Didn't say it was. Just that they decided to make the art more resemble Mario64 than that of the realistic direction they were heading

Penguin Bobby: Hmm and dat is a bad thing?

Danchastu: It was great for the N64 and all but now it appears to be like Mario 64 but just rounded off the sharp edges...slightly updatining the graphics. They can be compared to Conker.

Danchastu: Mario Sunshine looks like it could be a late Nintendo 64. Just like how some games that came out on SNES in 98 have sprites that are comparable to PSX.

Penguin Bobby: hmm

Danchastu: Miyamoto seems to be pushing Pikmin more than anything else. He wants to create new series but the consumers want the classic characters so he continues with those games yet while he wants to be innovative he also seemed afraid of change for his old characters. Afraid to make Link and Mario more real.

Old 03-02-2002, 05:54 PM   #2
Drunk Hobbit

Now Playing:

Another thing is Miyamoto and Nintendo seem to fear online games. They don't have to create a fully online game like FFXI (they talk about all the updating and lack of freedom) but why can't some games connect for minor things like SSB:M for some Vs matches or some racing games for some races? Almost all GBA games have a multiplayer option for little fun thingys. GameCube should be able to do that kind of thing except that those things will be able to be played with people online.

Old 03-02-2002, 06:45 PM   #3
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

As to the online thing: the problem is money, pure and simple. You may not like it, but Nintendo exists to make money. They're not going to set up a free network for their customers to use. Unfortunately, monthly plans aren't all that popular either. PSO ver. 2 is garnering much less interest than the original because it has a monthly payment plan. Nintendo sees this and knows that online gaming in its current form isn't a viable way to make money. They'll let third parties handle things for now.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 03-02-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
Drunk Hobbit

Now Playing:

Free online conectivity = Greater want for GameCube games = More GameCubes sold = More money

I know it's not quite that simple (maybe it is) but if the competitors are going it then Nintendo should jump off a bridge too. At least that's what the hamsters tell me. Bad idea to drink an unknown liquid with an expiration date of last year...

Old 03-02-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
Jin
Knight

Now Playing:

All news and screenshots about Mario Sunshine seem to be bad, but until I can actually play it, I won't judge it too harshly.

In memory of Jack Buck & Darryl Kile.
Good luck this year St. Louis!

"You don't need a reason to help people" -Zidane (FF9)

Old 03-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #6
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I thought I told Danny to stop speaking with that damn hamster, but he continues to listen to it.

Anyhow most of my views (Read none really) were expressed in the IM. My comp was cut off before I got to my explanation, but I think Shiggy was trying to say he wanted Mario SunShine to be similar to Mario 64 like how Super Mario Bros 3 is similar to Super Mario Brothers or how Super Mario World is similar to Super Mario 3.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Now Playing: Yo Mama

Im sticking with the theory that the Mario Sunshine graphics will improve to be like the demo.

Old 03-02-2002, 09:53 PM   #8
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Danchastu
I know it's not quite that simple (maybe it is) but if the competitors are going it then Nintendo should jump off a bridge too.
Maybe that's true, but the competitors aren't "going it." Or hadn't you noticed that FF XI has a subscription fee (on top of forcing players to buy a hard drive and broadband modem)? Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all know that free internet doesn't work. I'm not sure what Microsoft is doing, but I highly doubt that even they would just throw money into free broadband access for all Xbox users.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed