Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
-alpha-
Viscount

Now Playing: Megaman X2
Default Final Fantasy VII Remake

I know that this was brought up a number of times while I was here back in the day, and has probably been brought up again since. But lately I've been thinking, if they do indeed remake the game one day, it would be significantly different than what the original had been. If you think about it, many of the game's original trademark gameplay elements were merely used because of limitations to the system. The best example of this that I can think of is the world environments, and the fixed camera that played a part in it. If FFVII ever was remade, I'd think that the world would be completely rendered in 3d, but with this we'd have different gameplay altogether, for example, would the game now bring in some platforming as well? Are the battles still going to be random twisty screens when the dice roll lands against you?

I figured I could get your ideas on what you think could be improved on should the game get remade on a much more powerful console.

"You must master your joystick like a fisherman masters bait. - Gimpy"

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish
Default Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Personally, I don't think they'll remake it based on how long it is.

However, if they do, I'll buy it if I'm having trouble sleeping. The original really did the trick.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Zen
Knight

Now Playing:

They should never remake this before the MUCH more deserving FF6.

Find me on Twitter as @ZenUrena

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
-alpha-
Viscount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
They should never remake this before the MUCH more deserving FF6.
I agree whole heartedly actually, but Squaresoft seems to be on a "George Lucas" type rampage whoring out their best selling franchise as opposed to their best. That and the PS3 tech demo featured FF7 as opposed to FF6.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Remaking FF6 before FF7 makes no sense, from a business perspective. Would you remake a game that no one knows about, or one that everyone does and that revolutionized the RPG as a popular gaming genre? If they really wanted to put the art mule before the cash cart, they should do a next gen remake of FF Legends... as a kid, it was the only handheld game that made Tetris surrender itself from the back of my GB. "Eat my SMG, bitches!"

It doesn't matter to me anyway, as I've found Japanese style RPG's to be tedious with convoluted and self-important story lines no one cares about. They tend to market towards graphics whores and power levelers instead of gamers that like a more organic experience.

Give me a western style real time RPG with a great semi-structured story, even if it is just a thin skin over a D-20 scaffolding (Elder Scrolls anyone?).

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Remaking FF6 before FF7 makes no sense, from a business perspective. Would you remake a game that no one knows about, or one that everyone does and that revolutionized the RPG as a popular gaming genre?
I'd say it's the other way around. FF7 was already in 3D and had FMVs (right?). FF6 is praised for its story and gameplay (right?), but nobody played it. Remaking it could be better than a new original game.

Whereas a remake of FF7 is much harder.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
I'd say it's the other way around. FF7 was already in 3D and had FMVs (right?). FF6 is praised for its story and gameplay (right?), but nobody played it. Remaking it could be better than a new original game.

Whereas a remake of FF7 is much harder.
There's you're answer. There is a huge userbase who would love to see a next gen version of one of the games that made the industry and that they have very fond memories of in their youth.

Meanwhile, FF6 would get a resounding "huh?"

Its not about what is harderor what was better, its about what they think will sell, and there is no reason for SE to think that FF6 would sell.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Happydude
Tavern Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Give me a western style real time RPG with a great semi-structured story, even if it is just a thin skin over a D-20 scaffolding (Elder Scrolls anyone?).
2 words...Fallout 3

well, that's actually one word and one number, but you get the drift.

Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing games in terms of gameplay and story so i can't wait for Fallout 3 to come out. Granted it IS being done by Bethesda which kind of scares me to tell you the truth, i would prefer they just re-hired all the black-isle staff however...you never know...keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the FF6/7 debate...i'm a huge fan of the FF series (alpha knows) but i have never played FF6...so...yeah...i would have to agree with the whole resounding "huh?"

Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #9
-alpha-
Viscount

Ah yes, Fallout 3, but unfortunately Happy, keep in mind it isn't a remake, you're not only relying on bethesda to recreate the fun gameplay, but also to make a good Fallout story and universe.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:59 AM   #10
Zen
Knight

Now Playing:

you cant call yourself a huge ff fan if youve never played 6 (unless you were born in the 90's), i mean honestly back when that thing came out in snes it had a cult following, it is (Arguably) considered the best ff game among fans, (7 only comes close due to hype and over ratedness imo) only real competition in the series i see to 6 are either 4 or 9.

You guys are right though on the fact that from a business stand point a ff7 remake would always sell better, hell if they make "FF7 - my milkshake brings the boys to the yard" it would be a cashcow just because it has ff7 slapped on there, and most likely a mr no personality (cloud) cameo.

I believe remakes work better for older games though, since there is just so much more you can improve on and add as opposed to a game that was already set in a 3d world. (for example i would never want an ocarina of time remake, as much as i loved that, but link to the past in 3d? id be all over it.)

Since now im just rambling I'll leave saying that instead of a remake for anything I would much rather just have a sequel for Vagrant Story.

Find me on Twitter as @ZenUrena

Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

You know, they did remake Final Fantasy IV.... Just recently... For the DS...

So I'm thinking a FFVI remake is more likely....

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
-alpha-
Viscount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
you cant call yourself a huge ff fan if youve never played 6 (unless you were born in the 90's), i mean honestly back when that thing came out in snes it had a cult following, it is (Arguably) considered the best ff game among fans, (7 only comes close due to hype and over ratedness imo) only real competition in the series i see to 6 are either 4 or 9.

You guys are right though on the fact that from a business stand point a ff7 remake would always sell better, hell if they make "FF7 - my milkshake brings the boys to the yard" it would be a cashcow just because it has ff7 slapped on there, and most likely a mr no personality (cloud) cameo.

I believe remakes work better for older games though, since there is just so much more you can improve on and add as opposed to a game that was already set in a 3d world. (for example i would never want an ocarina of time remake, as much as i loved that, but link to the past in 3d? id be all over it.)

Since now im just rambling I'll leave saying that instead of a remake for anything I would much rather just have a sequel for Vagrant Story.

Not quite the milkshake, but close

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Man, I wish they'd do a remake.

That would be swell.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -alpha- View Post
I know that this was brought up a number of times while I was here back in the day, and has probably been brought up again since. But lately I've been thinking, if they do indeed remake the game one day, it would be significantly different than what the original had been. If you think about it, many of the game's original trademark gameplay elements were merely used because of limitations to the system. The best example of this that I can think of is the world environments, and the fixed camera that played a part in it. If FFVII ever was remade, I'd think that the world would be completely rendered in 3d, but with this we'd have different gameplay altogether, for example, would the game now bring in some platforming as well? Are the battles still going to be random twisty screens when the dice roll lands against you?

I figured I could get your ideas on what you think could be improved on should the game get remade on a much more powerful console.

Seems like you were pretty spot on, Mr. Poster-From-12-Years-Ago-Who-Apparently-Only-Stuck-Around-For-3-Weeks.

Anyone play (part one of) the Remake?

I liked it well enough. If I wanted a FFVII remake I really just wanted the graphics spruced up and the translation redone; I wasn't really into having a whole new game with a FFVII veneer, but I enjoyed this thing for what it is. The bitterness of this being so completely redone and only being part of the story is assuaged a bit by mods that apparently do what I've always wanted; hopefully I'll be able to get those to work when I get up to VII in my most recent replay of the series.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Spoiler: I was not able to get those mods to work (or, rather, they worked but not well).