Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #211
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I find it funny that last night was one of the best episodes, but based on a character and a scenario not presented in the books.
And yet the themes of the ep followed the book more closely than anything we've seen to date, IMO.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #212
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Overall I think they finally have the story back on track. I'm just wondering when zombie Otis shows up with bullet holes in him...
You should send this to the directors/writers...I don't think they are smart enough to go down that path. Would be effing brilliant though.

The tone has finally taken that much needed turn towards the dark. We haven't seen anything remotely dark since Days Gone Bye. Or the Season 1 premier. The show moved towards dark with Shane and Otis. Overall I agree...it seems the show is "back on track" or on pace for something good.

I'm still curious how they are going to integrate Rick back into a central character role. And I believe they said no Governor this Season...but right now I am 100% sure that Merle and Daryl would be horrible roles for the Governor.

I still think Michonne shows up, even if Daryl has elements of her.

Apparently AMC has really raped the show's budget. I find this ironic, because people are using that as an excuse for some of the shoddy writing. BaB thinks the irony is that the last episode focused on Daryl, a character not in the comic. I think that the real irony is that the best scene in the entire second season 2 cost peanuts. I can't imagine they spent much to shoot the Daryl cliff scene.

Proof that you can make kick ass character drama on a short budget. "Bottle Episodes" as they are called are common in TV.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #213
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
As for there being unreasonable decisions being made by characters, well, they're stuck in the middle of an unreasonable situation so I'm willing to let a lot of that slide, especially when they address it in the story.
100% agree.

I still think the show is great.
I still have not read the comics and therefore have not had my mind tainted by thinking I am 7 years in the future of a story that isn't connected to the comic version.

I have a feeling Daryl is going to kill Merle when he finally sees him under the assumption that he's a walker. I noticed they made a solid point to always show fake-Merle with both hands, so I think at the end of one episode, he's just going to kill him, and the reveal will happen as the camera pans out or something cliche like that.

Anyways, I like Rick. He's a good actor at playing a broken man. Fuck you guys.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #214
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Wow, Daryl really had a hard time trying to fall off that horse. Did anyone else notice hows unrealistic that looked? He basically stepped off it.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #215
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Wow, Daryl really had a hard time trying to fall off that horse. Did anyone else notice hows unrealistic that looked? He basically stepped off it.
I guess you could say he didn't...

Reeve the horse.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #216
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

"You can't fall off that horse!"

Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #217
KillerGremlin
No Pants

New episode is back-on-track good, A- TV good, "I could enjoy this series good."

So instead of bitching about the show, I'm gonna bitch about AMC.

After next week's episode, the show is going on a "mid-season" hiatus until February. Next week is the "mid-season finale." That is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever seen. All this is going to do is create a schism for viewers.

When February roles around, people are going to be back watching other TV shows.

Apparently this all has a bit to do with Frank Darabont being fired, and AMC slashing The Walking Dead's budget. I'm curious how you all feel about that....since most other cable TV shows role through the series without blue balling the fuck out of viewers.

Finally, episodes 6 and 7 were leaked so tonight's episode went as according to the leak. Don't read if you don't want 7 spoiled:

Sophia is a walker...in the barn...Rick kills her. Yeah.

Edit: I'm still waiting for that progressive, pro-abortion TV show. Juno flaked. Walking Dead flaked. Seems like Rick and Hershel have more in common than they think. Common sense says in a zombie apocalypse....never mind.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #218
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

I do hate when they break up seasons (the last season of Doctor Who had a mid-season finale as well), but as you stated, they probably have reasons for it. At least it wasn't like Young Justice where I had to wait six months between episodes nine and ten...and there was no heads up either. And the alternative would have been a longer wait for this season to have begun. Look at Mad Men.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed the ep.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #219
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Edit: I'm still waiting for that progressive, pro-abortion TV show. Juno flaked. Walking Dead flaked.
Keep waiting for it, because I doubt it will ever happen. It's very hard for the majority of people to be "pro-abortion", because that implies an inherent value to the act. At the very best abortion destroys a potential life, and while this may be necessary at times, it's hardly something to celebrate or promote and most people would be very disturbed at the attempt.

As for "flaking", aborting a child in the face of a zombie apocalypse would be the worst thing you could do, because the continuation of life is the only hope against a world filled with death. If you abort a child in those situations it is the same as giving up completely. Might as well eat a bullet at that point.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #220
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I thought the episode was frustrating and boring. Here's the 16-word summary: a bunch of secrets are discovered and people find new stupid ways to almost get killed.

The worst part is that they're still sitting in 1 place. I think in last season there were maybe 2 episodes in the same place, but now they've been in the same spot for almost the whole season.

I feel like the story so far could have been told in 3 episodes instead of 6.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #221
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
I thought the episode was frustrating and boring. Here's the 16-word summary: a bunch of secrets are discovered and people find new stupid ways to almost get killed.

The worst part is that they're still sitting in 1 place. I think in last season there were maybe 2 episodes in the same place, but now they've been in the same spot for almost the whole season.

I feel like the story so far could have been told in 3 episodes instead of 6.
Well, I think the second part is an odd complaint.
I mean the entire point of their "journey" is/was to find a safe haven. They've made it a point that a lot of people are settling into Hershel's farm because they are accustomed to living a relatively normal life again.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #222
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

The more I watch, the more Andrea annoys me. I'm at the point where I wouldn't care if she offed herself. I'm struggling to find a character that I enjoy watching and care what happens to them. Also the whole Sophia thing just bores me.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #223
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I liked the last episode. I like Shane's (hopeful) insanity. I hope his insanity soon leads to Andrea's death. I was really hoping he'd shoot her when he said "I've got a lead on the girl". The whole time I was just thinking "Pleeeease be is Otis."

I also didn't know there was a mid-season break. Autumn/Winter breaks in shows really piss me off, but I understand why they do it. I just want to watch my goddamn stories.

Quote:
I mean the entire point of their "journey" is/was to find a safe haven. They've made it a point that a lot of people are settling into Hershel's farm because they are accustomed to living a relatively normal life again.
100% agree. It's not a show about a group of people going on a journey. It's about a group of people trying to survive.

PS: Deep down I really don't think Shane is insane. I think he'll literally just do anything to keep Carl alive, is all.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #224
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Oh, 1 more thing: Dale is getting on my nerves. I wonder if the actor isn't growing tired of playing the same scene over and over again, but with different actors.
Think about it: basically all he ever does is talk some courage into others. And it's always yadayadayada with that half troubled, half witless look on his face.
So who's the next character to have a conversation with the wannabe shrink?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #225
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Dale reminds me of like....Obi Won or something. I still think it was a miscast, but he has wisdom and seems to fit in as a guide. Ultimately, his passiveness will get the best of him in a clearly disturbed world.