Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #976
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Thirst

Probably my best vampire viewing experience after Let The Right One In (in terms of realism). Dunno how well known this is, but it's by the director of Oldboy (and the rest of the revenge trilogy). Not the best I've seen from him but still a pretty good film. Stars the main actor of The Host as a Catholic priest who becomes a vampire.

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-08-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #977
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

The Godfather Part III.
Better than the 2nd part. The next generation of the Corleone family was what really made this movie.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #978
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Ping Pong It's a pretty good japanese pinppong movie. Not super fast paced, you know the type. I recommend.

The Fall (2006) Feels a bit Pans Labrynth, kid storybook type of movie. Some cool frames and scene shiftees.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #979
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Not really a movie but a mini series:
Children of Dune. 7/10.
Nice if you read Dune, but don't want to read the sequels.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #980
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
Ping Pong It's a pretty good japanese pinppong movie. Not super fast paced, you know the type. I recommend.

The Fall (2006) Feels a bit Pans Labrynth, kid storybook type of movie. Some cool frames and scene shiftees.
Really enjoyed both of those. The Fall had some beautiful scenes.

The Princess and the Frog

Sadly disappointing. Pretty bland story and no memorable songs. Quite liked the villain though. Wish there was more of a focus on him and the voodoo aspects.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #981
Seth
wants a yacht

Quick Change - Bill f'ing Murray! How had I not seen it sooner? Underrated since I've never heard of it. Nothing too serious, just some really gold moments.

Valkyrie - Passable, not too bad actually for what it was doing. I felt like a good portion of the takeover could've have been shot differently, especially with the SS but whatever right

Chaw (2009) - Korean monster movie. Kind of in the vein of Host, but not nearly as good. I still watched the entire thing though. Giant. Wild. Boar.

Thirst - Was a decent vamp flick. There were a few really well done scenes. I liked how she would barefoot it n such. Dunno how much I actually liked the movie. Maybe it was the two oldboy leads that could've done so much more besides tiptoeing along the many V cliches, either adhering or not. I would've liked something more,,, engaging....than the multiple unnecessary sex scenes.

The Jerk - I'd avoid. A few good laughs but early Steve Martin is no Bill Murray.

The Rock - Michael Mann trash. I'm probably the only one who had yet to see this....Nic Cage didn't help much. The entire premise...a bit dumb, dumbed but with Mannish polish. I'd avoid if you have a particular dislike for the formulaic. Maybe it's aged poorly against the last 15 years of marine hostages, terrorist threat, Cage yelling skitz devices.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #982
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Adventureland

Pretty, ehh...all around. I thought I might like this one, but I didn't. The cast is not bad (Martin Starr, Kristin Wiig, Jesse Eisenberg), but the script (+Ryan Reynolds) just kind of bugs me. Maybe a (6/10)

Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #983
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Dead Leaves

Pure insanity.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #984
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Chaw (2009) - Korean monster movie. Kind of in the vein of Host, but not nearly as good. I still watched the entire thing though. Giant. Wild. Boar.
Is that the movie with the huge bigger-than-buildings monsters? I want to see that just for the monsters.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #985
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
The Rock - Michael Mann trash.
Michael Bay trash.

And sadly, The Rock is comparatively an Oscar-worthy film compared to his recent bowl movements. Transformers 3 is in the works...shoot me.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #986
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Is that the movie with the huge bigger-than-buildings monsters? I want to see that just for the monsters.
No wait, I think that was M-Wars.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #987
Seth
wants a yacht

lol yeah Michael Bay. dunno how

Angrist: you answered, but the Chaw movie is kind of a low budget thing. The boar's about the size of two grizzly bears. I wouldn't bother with it in case you were wanting a monster movie.

The Happiness of the Katakuris - A comedy from Miike. I laughed my ass off the first viewing, but I was intoxicated. It's gruesome, but not really. If you've seen Ichi the Killer this is polar opposite tameness.

Takeshi Kitano has a new film that just showed at Cannes. Outrage. I'm looking forward to it, mostly because while I hate a lot of serious yakuza films, kitano's are in their own realm of cool. Sometimes the violence and darkness are a bit much, but he makes you feel the characters and combines it with expert filmmaking. See Hana-bi for one of his less violent yakuza films. Still really good, methodically slow stuff that works. Beat knows how to burst violence so it matters.

And in case someone here hasn't seen it yet, The Warriors (1979). Just sayin, it's fucking awesome ambience.

edit: twitchfilm.net Found some interesting films on his review list that I'm getting now. I wish I could find Symbol(2009).

Last edited by Seth : 05-20-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #988
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Ok. I might see The Chaw one day. I also discovered that I meant D-War. I saw some minutes of it on youtube, it's definitely eye candy.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #989
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

How to Train Your Dragon

Damn fine movie.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #990
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Mission Impossible

Nostalgia. Although I think MI3 came out when I was a freshman in college...or maybe it was senior year of high school. Can you believe J.J. Abrams directed MI3?

Mission Impossible is probably the best of the series, although that is currently pending since I will probably rewatch them all now. Still, the movie is pretty awful with cut-paste editing that does not quite fit together and makes the movie feel like a bunch of different parts that were poorly stitched together vs. a flowing story. And the special effects are AWFUL. The sense of speed on the train at the end of Mission Impossible is about as bad as the Disco Volante scene in Thunderball.

Here is a comparison:

(around 1:40)

Also, Tom Cruise has always been a fucking loony, I don't know how I didn't notice it in the past.