Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #841
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Brother Bear

Surprisingly good. Like Pocahontas meets the Lion King with a bit of Bambi. Didn't care for the few songs (not a Phil Collins fan) and the moose were too stereotypically Canadian (never have I heard so many "ehs" before), but other than that a great film. Enjoyed the beginning a bit more methinks. The animals were the most realistic I've seen in a Disney movie and it was starting to feel really epic with the fight...and then it got all cutesy.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #842
candy
Baron

Now Playing:

Last movie I saw was One Million Yen and the Nigamushi Woman.I like the kind of life in the film ,the main character settle in a place and work ,after she collect one million yen ,then she move to another place ,she did diiferent kinds of jobs and live in different places.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #843
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Trick 'r Treat

Very fun movie...which is surprising being from the writer of Superman Returns. And it has the cutest killer whatever it was. Great Halloween atmosphere. Reminded me of Hocus Pocus in that respect.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #844
Bube
President of the Galaxy

Now Playing: Alice: Madness Returns, WoW

Whoa, there's an ad-bot posting intelligent, on-topic posts, and managing to advertise in it's signature. Props to whoever pulled that off

Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #845
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Swingers (1996) Jon Fauvre n Vince Vaughn. I actually really liked this. dialogue driven.

Hana-Bi (1998) Kitano film that's bleak but good. Cop's wife has cancer. Yakuza+beat kicking heads.

Starting Out in the Evening (2008) About an author nearing death. Bit of a bore.

La Femme Nikita (1990) gooood shit.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #846
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Finished Akira. Pretty boring. But I can see how it was really awesome 21 years ago.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #847
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Six-String Samurai (1998) I liked this post-apocalypse guitar king samurai movie. Recommended. low budget

Legendary Assassin HK flik that stars donnie yen's 'enemy' in Sha Po Lang. Bad movie, some cool kicks but not really worth all the melodrama.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #848
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Paranormal Activity

This film is gonna get a lot of shit but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was way better than the Blair Witch Project. It was like a Blair Witch/Exorcist/Poltergeist hybrid.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #849
Bube
President of the Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Paranormal Activity

This film is gonna get a lot of shit but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was way better than the Blair Witch Project. It was like a Blair Witch/Exorcist/Poltergeist hybrid.
I read about this a few days ago somewhere. I want to watch it as well.

Why do say it'll get a lot of shit?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #850
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bube View Post
I read about this a few days ago somewhere. I want to watch it as well.

Why do say it'll get a lot of shit?
Because it has been hyped to infinity. It's not the scariest movie you will ever see. It's also an obvious budget film. And it requires you to suspend some disbelief. The characters follow a few of the horror cliches and you just want to scream at them, "why on earth did you do that!"

So if you do see it, go into the film with an open mind and no expectations. That's what I did and the film scared the crap out of me and entertained me immensely. It was a genuinely frightening film that played off of some good psychological conventions. And the director of the film understands that what REALLY makes a movie scary is the unknown. The things left in the dark scare us the most.

I think it is totally worth seeing and it is definitely one of the scariest movies to come out in theaters in a looooooooong time. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like that since seeing The Descent.

So yeah, definitely go see it. In fact I insist you go see it because I need someone to talk plot and spoilers with.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #851
Bube
President of the Galaxy

Quote:
Because it has been hyped to infinity. It's not the scariest movie you will ever see. It's also an obvious budget film. And it requires you to suspend some disbelief. The characters follow a few of the horror cliches and you just want to scream at them, "why on earth did you do that!"

So if you do see it, go into the film with an open mind and no expectations. That's what I did and the film scared the crap out of me and entertained me immensely. It was a genuinely frightening film that played off of some good psychological conventions. And the director of the film understands that what REALLY makes a movie scary is the unknown. The things left in the dark scare us the most.

I think it is totally worth seeing and it is definitely one of the scariest movies to come out in theaters in a looooooooong time. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like that since seeing The Descent.

So yeah, definitely go see it. In fact I insist you go see it because I need someone to talk plot and spoilers with.
I'm not really a big fan of horror movies, for 2 reasons:
1. I get too scared, and sometimes lose sleep (true) )
2. They're almost always very cheap movies, with some cheap scares and almost always the same plot.

But this one took my interest, because I like seeing stuff from other people's POVs. I don't really care how scary it is, but I like the idea of keeping things away from the screen and in my imagination.

Unfortunately, I don't know when it's going to be released here in Turkey

Edit: Found the release date. December 4. You're going to have to wait

Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #852
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bube View Post
I'm not really a big fan of horror movies, for 2 reasons:
1. I get too scared, and sometimes lose sleep (true) )
2. They're almost always very cheap movies, with some cheap scares and almost always the same plot.

But this one took my interest, because I like seeing stuff from other people's POVs. I don't really care how scary it is, but I like the idea of keeping things away from the screen and in my imagination.

Unfortunately, I don't know when it's going to be released here in Turkey

Edit: Found the release date. December 4. You're going to have to wait
Well, good news. This movie doesn't rely on cheap scares. In fact the real scares come from the buildup and the natural tension that escalates throughout the film.

And I have no qualms with waiting. See it when it comes out. It definitely seems like a film best viewed in a theater with an audience.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #853
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

Quote:
I haven't been on the edge of my seat like that since seeing The Descent.
I love that movie!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #854
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Yeah, The Descent is one of my favorite films.

What's with American movies getting the endings changed though? The Descent has two endings, the happy American ending and the logical, scary and real ending.

The Descent has all sorts of symbolism and themes going for it. Plus it's this feminist-driven horror film (imo).

Apparently Paranormal Activity has an alternate ending that was changed for the theaters. The original ending sounds much better than what we got at the theater. Still, the ending wasn't changed that drastically and it is still very scary. I'm still reeling over Paranormal Activity. The movie really taps into the psychology of sleeping. All the worse, me and my girlfriend both suffer from sleep disorders.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #855
Bube
President of the Galaxy

Quote:
Well, good news. This movie doesn't rely on cheap scares. In fact the real scares come from the buildup and the natural tension that escalates throughout the film.

And I have no qualms with waiting. See it when it comes out. It definitely seems like a film best viewed in a theater with an audience.
I also think I should see it in a theater It's more than a month away.. Oh well...

Oh, and if anybody remembers that movie we had a thread about, Moon. I can't find a Turkish release date. Does anybody know of a site that would list international movie dates? IMDb doesn't have one..