Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Music

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

How do you find new music?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default How do you find new music?

I'm pretty dependent on music to get any work done. The only thing is, each album's usefulness has a pretty short expiration date so I constantly need to find more.

At first I used to use Youtube's sidebar suggestions. Most if not all the suggestions are the particular band I would be currently listening to. Subscribed to a couple labels for a while as well.

Then I tried Pandora but they don't have many of the bands I want to find similar stuff to and rather have a list than random play.

Last.fm was working out alright until I noticed what they took into account for the similar bands. Such that if I search for a Japanese band I don't actually care if they're from Japan as long as the music itself is close to what I'm searching for, but all I get are Japanese bands. Just decided to search for the Chicago based band The Brokedowns that KG posted. It mostly gives me a bunch of bands around the Chicago area. That confirmed that.

Reddit's ListenToThis subreddit is nice for finding stuff I would never have thought to look for.

So yeah, is there anything better you guys use? I've seen a couple sites that use branches but I don't remember what they were called and didn't have a lot of what I searched for.

Not big on random radio play since I rather not have to keep skipping songs that don't mesh with me.

Last edited by Teuthida : 03-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.