Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #256
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread

Alright gents.

I'm a failure of a host since I seem to disappear. Life happens.

So sorry! I'm up for tomorrow. Anytime after 8:30 EST is fine for me. I'll be on AIM at work all day tomorrow so we can work things out if needed.

scarz0ftime is my screenname. Don't hesitate to leave me an IM. If I'm away it's cause I'm away from my desk so I'll get back to you ASAP

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #257
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Seriously...don't know any podcast that misses this many weeks. Current one going through...I'm up to ep 172....they never missed a week...even when one of the hosts DIED.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #258
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Seriously...don't know any podcast that misses this many weeks. Current one going through...I'm up to ep 172....they never missed a week...even when one of the hosts DIED.
I don't like doing this, it just doesn't work.
You can't compare two products no matter how much you want.

That being said, this is beginning to becoming an exercise in frustration. Yes, I know people do things outside of this podcast, but it just becomes a pain when others clear time and no one is around.

Anyhow, we shall try for the final time tonight, and if not you folks can have a thrill planning it over the weekend.

IF folks want to make it easier, you can exchange all manners of information. AIM names, Skype names, become facebook friends, I don't care.

So depending on who shows up tonight, we're either gonna record the Summer TV episode or try and record that and at least the FMA discussion part of an episode.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #259
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Seriously...don't know any podcast that misses this many weeks.
Clearly you don't listen to IGN podcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone
That being said, this is beginning to becoming an exercise in frustration. Yes, I know people do things outside of this podcast, but it just becomes a pain when others clear time and no one is around.
Hate to say this, but maybe this should be an indication to you that attempting to do two podcasts when the first one you started wasn't even fully established was a REALLY stupid idea.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #260
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
Hate to say this, but maybe this should be an indication to you that attempting to do two podcasts when the first one you started wasn't even fully established was a REALLY stupid idea.
No because for the most part, I don't have any trouble with Dual Wielding. Yes, they've had sporadic recording.

But of the 4 times they all agreed to meet, they showed up 3 of those times. They work together on planning their time and are good about it. Even during the joint podcast we had Uber and Default show up when needed.

And they were willing to do a podcast on the 4th, but would have been 2 down.

So I'm not gonna hold it against them, that we can't get NoTR down to a nice rhythm.

Quote:

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #261
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
No because for the most part, I don't have any trouble with Dual Wielding. Yes, they've had sporadic recording.

But of the 4 times they all agreed to meet, they showed up 3 of those times. They work together on planning their time and are good about it. Even during the joint podcast we had Uber and Default show up when needed.

And they were willing to do a podcast on the 4th, but would have been 2 down.

So I'm not gonna hold it against them, that we can't get NoTR down to a nice rhythm.
You completely missed the point while simultaneously making mine.

If we were only doing one podcast, we would have 7 or 8 people all able to contribute to it and we'd have a much easier time getting people together for a recording. Instead, it's been decided to split people up and attempt to maintain two podcasts simultaneously.

I don't hold anything against uber_paddler, default, or soccerant either. In fact, their punctuality is a great asset. It should be harnessed to along with people like you, me, Magus and thatmariolover to produce one regularly updating podcast about all subjects relevant to nerd-dom instead of two sporadically updating podcasts where the subject matter is split up and we struggle to come up with things to talk about when we don't have enough material for two shows. I don't care if this means Dual Wielding should be merged into Nerds on the Rocks or Nerds on the Rocks should be merged into Dual Wielding or if a whole new podcast should be started. We just don't have the manpower to do this reliably. Of all the people I've talked to, only one person ever thought it was a good idea to divide such clearly scarce resources.

I'm here to do whatever you guys want me to do, but this blatant idiocy is wearing on my patience.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #262
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post

If we were only doing one podcast, we would have 7 or 8 people all able to contribute to it and we'd have a much easier time getting people together for a recording. Instead, it's been decided to split people up and attempt to maintain two podcasts simultaneously.
There is no rule against them doing both or vice versa
Actually, a rotating cast was my original idea for this cast. It just somehow settled down to Magus, yourself and me.
Hell Uber and Default were on this week's podcast.

Its not taking anything away from NoTR to do DW, other than maybe an hour and a half on Sunday for them to record.

Quote:
Of all the people I've talked to, only one person ever thought it was a good idea to divide such clearly scarce resources.
And hell as long as that one person remains me, I'll stand by my decision.
Quote:
I'm here to do whatever you guys want me to do, but this blatant idiocy is wearing on my patience.
Listen, I didn't tie any anchor to your arse.

Quote:

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #263
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
There is no rule against them doing both or vice versa
Actually, a rotating cast was my original idea for this cast. It just somehow settled down to Magus, yourself and me.
Hell Uber and Default were on this week's podcast.

Its not taking anything away from NoTR to do DW, other than maybe an hour and a half on Sunday for them to record.
So if there's a rotating, interchangeable cast between the two podcasts, why exactly are there two podcasts? Remember when we were recording last time and you couldn't come up with a second subject to talk about? I had a whole bunch of ideas to talk about, but there was one problem: they were all videogame ideas and you wanted me to go talk about them on Dual Wielding. Videogames is not what NOTR is supposed to be about, you said.

You've basically admitted as much: you're not sticking to this scheme because you think it's a good idea. You can't even defend it. You're sticking with two podcasts out of sheer inertia and bull-headedness.

Quote:
Listen, I didn't tie any anchor to your arse.
Fine. Then I'm not participating in any podcasts. And I'm not recording or mixing any podcasts in the future. I sincerely wish you and your podcasts all the best, but I am not going to enable you.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #264
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

That little fight would have made a good episode......

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #265
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

I'm definitely late to the party, but I don't see the purpose of having two separate podcasts when gaming chat is inevitable in NOTR. I say scrap Dual Wielding and stick with NOTR.

Two cents contributed.

Last edited by BlueFire : 07-14-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #266
uber_paddler
Sony Whore

Now Playing: Persona 4, just like you should be.

I think this setup works fine. DW is almost totally autonomous for the most part, and gives us a game-focused podcast for those of us who have little or no knowledge of comics, movies, etc. Game sections on NotR are totally cool as well, but NotR's strength is that it also provides a more diverse array of topics.

There's no reason that they can't both work. I think the most important thing is a schedule. With we know what day and time we're recording every week, and we show up. If we get NotR into a similar position things should move along just fine.

PSN: XuberpaddlerX
XBL: uber paddler
Brawl Code: 4296 2818 4180

Last edited by uber_paddler : 07-15-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #267
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack

While this has nothing to do with podcasts, I'm just dual-whoring the fact I have started, and posted the first article for Manvice. Advice on how to be more manly.
Up now on the NOTR site.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #268
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

See, the thing is that's a very nice theoretical setup, but it's not working out that way in practice.

Quote:
DW is almost totally autonomous for the most part, and gives us a game-focused podcast for those of us who have little or no knowledge of comics, movies, etc.
1. BAB is really the only person who has an interest in comics on a regular basis. As far as I can remember, the only time comics (not comic book movies but just comics) have been discussed on the podcast is during the Cocktail Chatter section. And who exactly listens to a podcast about videogames but has no interest or knowledge of movies? It's not like we're talking about obscure films by Truffaut.

2. Every podcast is going to occasionally discuss subjects that the listeners aren't very interested in. Even a totally videogame-focused podcast will occasionally discuss something that listeners who are into videogames aren't interested in. It's the nature of the podcast.

3. If videogame subjects are totally fine to talk about on Nerds on the Rocks, then someone needs to tell that to BAB. And if that's the case, I find myself once again wondering why Dual Wielding exists since everything Dual Wielding talks about can be covered by Nerds on the Rocks.

4. If you and all the people who podcast for Dual Wielding are willing to contribute your time on a regular basis to Nerds on the Rocks in addition to your regular recording for Dual Wielding, that would be great. I'm sorry to say that quite frankly, I'm very skeptical and what's more, I think that when push comes to shove, you would rather devote your time to Dual Wielding than to Nerds on the Rocks. And I don't blame you. We all lead busy lives.

5. I have repeatedly asked for an affirmative justification for the two podcasts. Not "It's going to be fine and we'll make it work." Not "I think this all makes sense in theory." What I'm looking for is "There are two podcasts produced by GameTavern because..." Nobody has ever been able to give me that justification, and it's a real problem.

It's nothing against you or default or soccerant. I think BAB has done you a disservice by encouraging you to start your own podcast instead of just helping out with the current one which anybody could see has always had a rocky schedule. As you know, I'm not alone in thinking this way. If BAB wants to think he's The Decider, that's fine. But if he wants me and several others to give up our time for his project, he has to communicate with us. And so far, he's been failing.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #269
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

I never understood the point of two podcasts so early, when the first one was barely even started. But I'm not running the show or contributing. From my listener perspective (albeit from someone who doesn't listen to many podcasts in general anyway), I'm only going to listen to one podcast, if I'm lucky, and I'd prefer video games were talked about in that one as well as movies, since those are my two main interests. And booze.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #270
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

My problem is I like the DW fellows but can't listen to the show. They have a good rapport and I enjoyed the Starbucks story and nostalgia gaming talk but I just don't play video games anymore so not going to listen to an hour long show about them.