Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"
Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"

I think this proves once and for all that the writer's aren't clear about their own mythology. I hoped they at least had a solid explanation for Jacob and MIB's powers since their human forms are a fairly recent development in the series debuting late last season. Not one character knows everything about the island.

At least we know why MIB is pissed.

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-12-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Re: LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl
Default Re: LOST 5/11 "Across the Sea"

That was an awful episode.

EDIT:

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Hahaha.

I liked the fan thought up explanation better: Jacob and MIB get doused with the electromagnetism full force and get powers and immortality. One is positive and one is negative and thus can't kill the other. Could also be used to explain drawing people to the Island after touching them...fake science but a passable explanation.

Instead we get: "Here Jacob, drink my magic wine. Now you get to live forever and have powers. Where did it come from? Who knows. You boys can't kill each other because I made it so with my magic....or something."

Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

That answered nothing really, and kind of pissed me off. I hate that mother.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

I'm officially agitated by this season.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Hurley and his girlfriend go through and discuss the script for this ep: http://media.libsyn.com/media/horhay...ss_The_Sea.mp3

She didn't like it either. "And that right there makes me want to puke all over myself."

Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I loved the episode.

I caught subtle things from it such as:

When little Jacob and little smoke monster were playing that game, Jacob made a move, and LSM said "You can't do that, it's against the rules", Jacob said "But you made the rules", to which Little Smoke Monster said "When you make a game, you can make the rules."

Now, if you remember a while back, after Jacob had died, Old Smoke Monster saw Jacob as a child, who said "You can't kill him. It's against the rules", insinuating this is all just a big game to them.

Also, in last nights episode LSM sees his real mother. Jacob does not. LSM follows her into the jungle. Weeks ago when Smoke Monster was with Sawyer, Smoke Monster sees Jacob at a distance, looks confused. Sawyer asks "whos the kid", to which smoke monster says "You can see him?" and looks even more confused.

I like the fact that the smoke monster isn't evil. He just wants to leave the Island because its not where he's from. He knows he's from across the sea, and wants to leave the island to be home, where he belongs. Jacob on the other hand called the Island his home, because it's all he's ever known, which explains why he's so adamant to stay on the island, plus he's been off the island. So he knows what's out there, while Smoke Monster still has no idea.

I also had a thought that the reason Smoke Monster is the way smoke monster is is because he's been corrupted by man. He lived with people thousands of years ago. He even said people are terrible things. Jacob, not being touched by the corruption of man stays 'pure'.

ALSO...When the terrible plastic body of Smoke Monster goes into the cave of light-thing, smoke comes out, and (I believe) there is no more light in the tunnel. Meaning the smoke monster is now the light - or apparently, pure magic. Which could also explain why Jacob wants to keep him on the Island, to contain the light. Because the mother even said if man gets ahold of it, bad stuff etc etc. So if Smoke Monster is always on the Island, man can never get ahold of him.

I also like the fact that what is in the cave was said to be worse than death. And what it is is an eternity of being magic smoke.

Edit:

I think it's funny how people want it so badly to be science. Even coming up with reasons to try explain why it's science because 'it can't be magic'. Why can't it be magic? It's not a real show. It deals with time travel, immortality, and dual timelines.

I think it would be funny if what the writers wanted to do wasn't the reaction in the show, but the reaction to the show. Meaning that some people will be okay with magic, and take it on faith (Locke), and some people will have to try find a deeper, more serious meaning to everything (Jack).
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Magic would be fine if they set it up. Up until now the show's been sci-fi in nature for the most part. Throwing everything out as magic when there' 2 eps left is bad storytelling. Now the "magic light" is electromagnetism of some sort but they obliviously didn't know that back then.

What annoys me to no end is the magic wine that grants immortality and magic powers, and the mother just magically making it so the boys can't kill each other.

And the whole MIB being "special" thing would be been ok if they ever took the time to explain Walt or Aaron's specialness. MIB being special in this case is the writers saying "we don't have to explain shit."

"The wheel when stuck in the light makes you travel. I know this because I'm special." That's the writers calling the viewers stupid.

From a recent interview:

Quote:
You've said many times that when people find out who Adam and Eve are, we'll all realize just how long you've been planning the mythology. Well, I went back and watched the "House of the Rising Sun" scene, and Jack says that the clothing looks like it's 50 years old. Is he just not very good at calculating the rate of decay on fabric?

CC: Jack is not really an expert in carbon dating.

DL: He's not really a forensic anthropologist. We need to bring in Bones.

CC: Or Charlotte. She's an anthropologist.

DL: The other theory that I would like to throw out there is that Jacob and his mother were just expert craftsmen. They made those clothes on that loom so well, it would appear that they were only 50 years old in decomposition, when in fact it's several thousand.

CC: Or perhaps the fabric is magic. A lot of theories there, Alan.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...across-the-sea

And yet in another interview with Wired a month or two ago they said flat out they had no idea what they were doing that first season and only started to create a bigger story once they realized the show would continue.

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-13-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

I liked that episode a lot. It played very well with the themes of the series and how it caused Jacob and MIB to be who they are today, and in turn how that affected all others that came to the island. For me, keeping continuity with themes is more important than all the little details.

Some themes it touched heavily on:

Good vs. Evil
Fate vs. Free-will
White & Black
Games
Life & Death
Pregnancies
Secrets
etc.

The most important play on who Jacob becomes is at the moment when he must make the "choice" to be the island's protector. He physically could have made the choice not to become the protector, he could have walked away. But from all the events that led up to that point and from who he is inside, he really had no choice. Is it fate, or free-will?

On another note, keep in mind that there is still time for other characters to discover a little more of what is the "light" and so on. But if you're mad now, I wouldn't hold my breath for an ending that makes you happy.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

The producers said they will explain more about the light later on. I'm betting we'll find out how the rules are made when Jack takes over and actually has to do that. Don't know about the magic koolaid..... Either it is EM-infused or it doesn't actually do anything.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Old 05-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

That completely made up for this episode.