Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Guild wars 2
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Post Guild wars 2

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08...before-launch/

So there were 400k users before launch and the game has sold 1 Million plus units. I hope this game gets to the 10 million plus users like WoW did. I just got the game and if anyone's planning on playing it, let me know.

Re: Guild wars 2
Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Guild wars 2

I've been playing since Saturday - I'm on the Crystal Desert server.

Currently playing a sylvari ranger. I'm actually avoiding creating another character - I usually get sidetracked in MMO's with too many characters and never progress very far with my main, so I'm just going to stick with this guy.

I'm very impressed so far - easily the best MMO I've ever played. The world is so large and beautiful, I think it's worth the $60 just to explore the world.

Combat feels way more actiony than WoW or Star Wars. I'm constantly moving around, dodging out of AoE's and working on my positioning. I think combat is going to get more fun as I progress further into the game and switching weapons becomes more important.

I haven't done a dungeon yet (only level 18), but those look fun. I think the combo system between players is going to be very interesting to utilize.

Also love the quality of life features they've added. Teleporting to waypoints, being able to deposit collectibles into your bank from anywhere.

The dynamic events are also a refreshing way to level relative to the "find 20 pig livers" questing method. It's cool to see an event going on, help out with it, then follow the NPC to the next part of the "story" where a new dynamic event will start.

The "heart" quests on the map are really just glorified WoW quests, but they're still more fun and less tedious. There's no random component where you're killing the same thing over and over where sometimes pig meat drops and sometimes it doesn't. Always hated that.

The dye system is also really cool. Dyes are random drops and once you consume it you have it to use forever, and you can change the color of your armor as many times as you want anywhere you want. Currently my guy is rocking a red and blue suit that makes him look like spider-man.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

I got it Monday/Tuesday at midnight. Had to wait until 3 am to play and by that time was too tired to play for more than 30 minutes really. Didn't get to play tuesday, but getting ready to hop onto it now. I'm on the Borlis Pass server.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Post Re: Guild wars 2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...-digital-sales

They are being overwhelmed by demand. So far the game is off to a great start. It seems everyone is liking it and saying it is a breath of fresh air. I am playing on Maguuma. I have not been able to spend as much time as I would have liked to in the game due to chores but I should have time to spare next week.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I did my first dungeon, Ascalon Catacombs, for the first time last night. Did two runs.

It was extremely fun - way more so than the dungeons I did in WoW. It was challenging and you have to be constantly moving and watching what you're doing. Really enjoying my ranger so far.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Did you ever play WoW before EZ mode (TBC)?

I did some instances a few months ago... and man was it terribly boring. Everyone was just racing through them, there was no strategy involved whatsoever.
When I still played, you needed people who knew what they were doing. It's good to hear they're providing some serious challenge in newer games.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I never played Vanilla beyond the Trial.

When I started playing in Cata dungeons were truly faceroll. The entire game was faceroll, as far as I could tell. Never made it to true raids though.

That's really fine though, I'm not going to criticize them for that. That's what some people want, it's more about the grind and getting that next piece of loot for them than it is about the challenge.

GW2 style is more in line with my tastes though. It's worth noting I was doing it on "story" mode as well, which is easier. Once you get to level 35 you can do "explorable" mode, which is even harder.

Had a friend who did it last night, evidently it is extremely difficult.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Post Re: Guild wars 2

I haven't really gotten into the game as I'd like to because I gotta keep some priorities at the moment. But I'll say that it is my humble opinion that Guild Wars 2 is the best freakin' MMO ever in the gaming history, PERIOD! Yes, that sums it up very well.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Did you ever play WoW before EZ mode (TBC)?

I did some instances a few months ago... and man was it terribly boring. Everyone was just racing through them, there was no strategy involved whatsoever.
When I still played, you needed people who knew what they were doing. It's good to hear they're providing some serious challenge in newer games.
Late game WoW raids are still difficult. All the lower level stuff that used to be end game stuff is now just faceroll for new players.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I did the second dungeon last night, was actually easier than the first one, other than the very first boss which was ridiculous. Had these targeted missiles (not AOE, so you can't just roll out of the red circle) that could 1 hit me.

Read online afterwords that if you're ranged DPS you can get up in the trees and it can't hit you, heh.

Other than that guy, though, didn't even go down in that dungeon.

Minor complaint I have is that at level 43 I'm not levelling as fast as the hearts are getting difficult in the area I'm in. So my next heart I need to do is like level 46. I'm going to have to go to a different area and do some levelling, then come back.