Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

In this case, the comparison to the comic is being made because their are strong female roles in the comic, whereas in this case the TV show has almost taken a sexist path in the portrayal of the women.

Frankly, if I was a female viewer of the show, I might feel a bit alienated.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
In this case, the comparison to the comic is being made because their are strong female roles in the comic, whereas in this case the TV show has almost taken a sexist path in the portrayal of the women.

Frankly, if I was a female viewer of the show, I might feel a bit alienated.
No basically all I mean was if I was a female who had read the comics and then started watching the show, I would just say fuck it to the whole thing.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

I don't see how the women are worse than most of the men in this show. They all act equally stupid.

Although I have yet to see the episodes since the winter break.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

The zombies don't do as much moaning as you guys, that's for sure.

I probably won't keep reading this thread since it's populated by a bunch of negative nancies who expect the show to fulfill all of their expectations and preconceptions.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post

I probably won't keep reading this thread since it's populated by a bunch of negative nancies who expect the show to fulfill all of their expectations and preconceptions.
Well, I've never read the comics, so I have no expectations or preconditions, and I can still honestly say the writing on the show is really bad 90% of the time.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post

I with this forum had a "like" button. The show is a good show, which is shown by the ratings, and everyone's CONTINUED choice to keep watching even though all we do is seem to complain. If we choose to complain, that means we care about the show. The only real negative the show has right now is that it is viewed largely by internet hyper-nerds who find more pleasure in tearing it down than giving it the credit it deserves (and no, I'm not talking about us. We're kind compared to some). Yes, I've been critical, but since the end of the first half of this season I don't see a whole lot to intensely criticize.

1) No point in comparing this to the comic. As shown with last night's episode, they are not following the exact plot from the books. If you let go of the comics when watching, you'll get a lot more enjoyment.

2) These main characters are archetypes at this point. So many of them that they need to fit roles, or aspects of humanity, rather than be full fledged characters unto themselves. None of them are well fleshed out, because each one is a part of a whole.

To the feminist argument: During an apocalypse the academic ideal of what we should be disappears. We become who we are. No one is really thinking about being a role model. They are trying to survive and find any kind of comfort wherever they can so they don't go insane. If you are a mother you might retreat to your role as a provider to your husband and son. If you are a woman who lost everything, you may become attached to the "alpha male" and learn how to sharp shoot. If you are a young woman trapped on a farm you may find comfort in banging a small asian boy in a pharmacy. If anything, I think the female characters are far more nuanced than their male counterparts.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

The death last night was such a bummer.

I know I just bitched at people for comparing the show to the comics but I'm sad Dale is gone because of the role he served in the group in the comics. He would basically observe the group as a whole and knew when someone was dealing with something they didn't want to talk about or felt they couldn't talk about.

Then he would go and talk to them about it and offer advice. I really liked that about his character and am sad the group won't have that in the show moving forward.

As for the feminist argument, even though I am an equal rights kind of guy, there is absolutely no way I would encourage the women of the group to spend time away from whatever area was deemed to be the safest. It's not about whether or not they can handle themselves, or being empowered or whatever. It's about maintaining the ability reproduce. In times of collapse, women are the most valuable asset if anyone has hope of keeping humanity going.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Didn't Hershel say he'd be walking again in a week?

A part of me hates it when series/movies skip so much time. Especially when they don't communicate it well. How hard is it to put in a line like "this kid has been recovering from his broken leg for a month now, we need to get rid of him"?

Oh about the kid (does he have a name btw?), when he was creeping up on the hostage, I was actually afraid he was going to kill him personally.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
But noooo, forget about that amputation part. The guy gets an operation and the next moment he walks around again.

So wait.
Zombies and the living dead = "Yeah, alright."
Guy able to walk on crippled leg = "Woah woah woah, that's not realistic."
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
So wait.
Zombies and the living dead = "Yeah, alright."
Guy able to walk on crippled leg = "Woah woah woah, that's not realistic."
There's a difference, and it's pretty obvious.

The zombies are supposed to exist in our world, not a made up one where people have hyper healing powers.

It's the same dumb argument when people say Mass Effect has realistic graphics, and some guy comes in, "Woah woah waoh, realistic!? There's aliens!"

Obviously not the same kind of realism.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
There's a difference, and it's pretty obvious.

The zombies are supposed to exist in our world, not a made up one where people have hyper healing powers.

It's the same dumb argument when people say Mass Effect has realistic graphics, and some guy comes in, "Woah woah waoh, realistic!? There's aliens!"

Obviously not the same kind of realism.
But it has wooden animation...

That aside, fairly certain there was two mentions of time jumps this week and last.

First, I believe was at the start of the last episode with Shane and Rick, and believe they mentioned a week or so has passed.

Actually, may be mistaken on this week's since seems to continue from the end of last week's. So nevermind the second one

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

ME animation is really terrible. Why they can't pay a third party company to make pre-rendered sex scenes is beyond me. They are so hilarious and awkward. Saps any credibility the scene may have had.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

That's my second biggest complaint about the show: nothing happens. Half of the show is filler.
(If you're curious: the biggest complaint is how illogical and stupid everything/everybody is.)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
That's my second biggest complaint about the show: nothing happens. Half of the show is filler.
(If you're curious: the biggest complaint is how illogical and stupid everything/everybody is.)

I wasn't really ripping on you. You're allowed to complain about the things you like. And I'm with you on the filler bit.

But I think a lot of what people today see as filler, people of 30 years ago would see as "setting the mood", and "ambiance". Michael Bay has effected too many things, and in turn a lot of people expect action all the time.

What drew me to the show to begin with was the slow pacing. It reminded me of old 'survival horror' shows. Where it was about suspense and personal thought of "Holy fuck, what's going to happen" rather than "Holy fuck, I can't believe I'm watching all of this happen."

But I even cut them slack if it is legitimate filler, just because while they're professional writers, I imagine it would be hard to write 48 minutes of white-knuckle-intensity every week. You need some plot set-up, and some character development, or mood development thrown around in there. It can't all be explosions and guts.

Also, as for them acting illogically during the end of the world- what is a logical way to act during the coming zombie apocalypse?
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.