Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Iron Man 2
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360
Default Re: Iron Man 2

Saw it. It was pretty decent. I'm actually here with combine and swan in the theatre right now, waiting for the credits to finish cus there is something you should see

Last edited by Fox 6 : 05-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Heh, funny they take into account my local subway line at the end. I'd be more forgiving of the horrible service if the delays were due to battling robots.

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-10-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I LIKED IRON MAN 2. IT WAS GOOD. THE WRITING AND FLOW OF THE PLOT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER BUT ROBERT DOWNEY JR. IS GOOD ACTING.

Also, Scarlett Johansson is fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I saw it tonight. I didn't much care for it - the movie was all over the place, Stark/Iron-Man was much less likable, and there were too many facepalm moments.

"This new element will solve your problem, unfortunately it cannot be made."

*Tony makes it*

Overall not a -bad- movie, just such a disappointment after the first one.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Drunk Iron Man was great.

And Scarlett Johanssen has a very nice bottom

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I saw it tonight. I didn't much care for it - the movie was all over the place, Stark/Iron-Man was much less likable, and there were too many facepalm moments.

*Tony makes it*

I agree, this scene and the chain of events leading up to it was cheesey and dumb.

Since Iron Man 2 bucked the trend (where the sequel is better than the original for comic movies) I'll offer my theory why. It's actually the same theory for why I feel that the sequel usually is better than the original:

Iron Man 2 was basically an intro/origins movie for War Machine and Justin Hammer. It was also an origins/intro movie for Stark's alcoholism, unless I missed that from the first movie. And an intro/origin for more SHIELD stuff which is building to the inevitable (its in these actor's contracts) and inevitably awful Avengers movie.

On the other hand, Iron Man 2 featured a rockin' cast. Mickey Rourke was awesome and looked awesome, and Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite actors period. And Sam Jackson does a decent Nick Fury as far as Hollywood goes. So sure, the movie was less than perfect and it had a little bit of Spiderman 3 syndrome, but it wasn't an emo mess and it didn't bastardize the Venom story so it is all good by me.

I STILL LIKE IT.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I enjoyed the movie. RDJ is still awesome as Stark. I could stare at Scar Jo for hours... and really wish she was featured more, and the action was cool.

The movie did have a ton of flaws though, but more importantly left me scratching my head

How did Whiplash know that Stark was going to be in Monaco? I don't think it was ever mentioned in the movie before that.

Stark creating a brand new element while bored one day at home.

Any real motivation for the villains, like Whiplash is mad at Stark because felt his father was screwed over by Stark.... just didn't cut it.

Drunk Iron Man was an awesome scene though. Though thought the fight was dumb.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #23
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I enjoyed the movie. RDJ is still awesome as Stark. I could stare at Scar Jo for hours... and really wish she was featured more, and the action was cool.

The movie did have a ton of flaws though, but more importantly left me scratching my head

How did Whiplash know that Stark was going to be in Monaco? I don't think it was ever mentioned in the movie before that.

Stark creating a brand new element while bored one day at home.

Any real motivation for the villains, like Whiplash is mad at Stark because felt his father was screwed over by Stark.... just didn't cut it.

Drunk Iron Man was an awesome scene though. Though thought the fight was dumb.
I complained about that third point to my girlfriend right after the movie. The movie would have been a lot better if Whiplash had had an actual reason, or just no reason at all (similar to the Joker). The way they actually did it was not cool.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #24
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post

*Tony makes it*

We can stop blocking spoilers now, right? Besides, this one isn't that big a spoiler.

The creation of the new element was complete bullpucky. He makes the element based on a diagram laid out in his father's plan for a city. The problem is the diagram clearly isn't an element. It's a molecule. You can tell because the picture of the "element" isn't a bunch of stuff orbiting a nucleus but is instead a bunch of particles linked to each other. And there's a huge difference. Creating a new element is nuclear physics and is really hard. Creating a new molecule is chemistry and is comparatively easy (hundreds of new molecules are put together every year).

I know that's scientific nitpicking, but it annoyed me because it was so unnecessary. They could have just said "you must forge a new metal" or "you must synthesize a new alloy." There are lots of molecular structures that existed only in theory back in the 60s that we can now create today because of technological advances.

Oh and also, listen to Nerds on the Rocks. We talk about a lot of this.[/plug]

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I was just showering, and I do most of my thinking in the shower....

Why did they recast Rhodey?

First off, what happened to Terrence Howard? Did he punch someone on set in the face? Did he want too much money? WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS SUPERIOR SIDEKICK!!!???

Second, why recast Don Cheadle who had zero chemistry and sucks ass as Rhodey?

I know...I know....it's probably all about the money, and the contracts, and the inevitable Avengers flick.

But the more I think about it, the more I think the whole War Machine origin story was horribly thrown together in Iron Man 2. I mean it sucked ass. Oh, Tony is drunk and dropping number 2s in his suit! Okay, well I guess I'm going to break into his workspace and steal the armor! And fight him! And somehow beat him! I mean what the fuck, that was just lame.

Why couldn't they have just taken the high road and left Don Cheadle, Rhodey, and War Machine out of the Iron Man sequel. Seriously, it would have worked with just Iron Man. The only reason people are watching these films is because of Robert Downey Jr. anyway.

I'm actually kind of upset the more I consider this alternate possibility they could have taken.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Apparently, Jon Favreau didn't get along with Terence Howard. We'll never actually know the real story of why they replaced him, though. Don Cheadle reportedly got the part three days before shooting began, so he probably wasn't feeling too prepared.

And I think the idea was that Tony knew he was dying, so he let Rhodey take the War Machine suit. But while we're talking about that suit, what were the drones made out of? They got cut up by bullets shot out of War Machine's wrist guns. Even if they were made out of plain old steel, no small caliber gun is that powerful.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #27
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
And I think the idea was that Tony knew he was dying, so he let Rhodey take the War Machine suit.
Ahhh...that makes sense. Still...Rhodey is a fast learner, as I recall Tony spent quite a bit of time in Iron Man learning how to just use the suit.

Quote:
But while we're talking about that suit, what were the drones made out of? They got cut up by bullets shot out of War Machine's wrist guns. Even if they were made out of plain old steel, no small caliber gun is that powerful.
Made in Russia. Or made by Hammer Industries. Take your pick.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Apparently, Jon Favreau didn't get along with Terence Howard. We'll never actually know the real story of why they replaced him, though. Don Cheadle reportedly got the part three days before shooting began, so he probably wasn't feeling too prepared.

And I think the idea was that Tony knew he was dying, so he let Rhodey take the War Machine suit. But while we're talking about that suit, what were the drones made out of? They got cut up by bullets shot out of War Machine's wrist guns. Even if they were made out of plain old steel, no small caliber gun is that powerful.

I thought they got cut up by the shoulder cannon....

Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #29
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
I thought they got cut up by the shoulder cannon....
Because I think too much, I was paying attention to how Iron Man and War Machine were killing the drones. The shoulder cannon did a lot of work, it's true, but there is a distinct shot of one drone getting heavily perforated by the wrist guns which, remember, are supposed to be little submachine guns. So those drones were apparently about as well armored as your average civilian car. Meanwhile Iron Man and War Machine are shrugging off bullets left, right and center.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #30
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Because I think too much, I was paying attention to how Iron Man and War Machine were killing the drones. The shoulder cannon did a lot of work, it's true, but there is a distinct shot of one drone getting heavily perforated by the wrist guns which, remember, are supposed to be little submachine guns. So those drones were apparently about as well armored as your average civilian car. Meanwhile Iron Man and War Machine are shrugging off bullets left, right and center.

I suppose. If you wanted to try to "explain" it within the story you could suppose that they really were "armored" like a car. The drones are simply refurbished version of the suits that Hammer had already built. Remember he said he "rushed the prototypes," etc.

Anyway, small quibble. The movie has bigger issues.