Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Cyberpunk 2077
Old 12-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Cyberpunk 2077

Anyone else here planning on getting or (depending on when you've decided to check in and see this) been playing Cyberpunk 2077?

I've got it pre-ordered via GoG. I'm not big on pre-ordering needlessly, but I know I'm going to play this game (big fan of The Witcher games) and this enables me to pre-load, etc. I upgraded my PC about a year ago (6 months or so in advance of when I expected it to be out) in anticipation of this game.

I think I'm going to go with the Nomad lifepath.

Current Review: Xenogears

Re: Cyberpunk 2077
Old 12-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Cyberpunk 2077

So far I'm enjoying my time in Cyberpunk. I'm that guy who has a PC who can run it fairly easily, so I haven't experienced a lot of the problems that console players are seeing. I know a guy even who has been playing it on PS5 and even though looked better than on base PS4 he still experienced fairly frequent crashing that killed his enthusiasm for playing, at least for now.

That isn't to say I haven't experienced any bugs, but they're more of the silly variety. Objects floating in mid air and stuff. They impact immersion, but don't break the game. I think if this game hadn't launched on consoles it would be receiving a little better press.

That said, it really doesn't feel particularly revolutionary. I'm really enjoying the story and the game is fun overall, but its not really wowing me in a way that no other game has. If I was hoping for one thing to really knock my socks off it would be the immersiveness, but even discounting the bugs and even some required gamey elements there are some things that just pull me out.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

I'm so far behind; just finished Mario Odyssey. There are even a few Wii U games that I haven't played yet. I'm trying to get back into it but I'm having to be very selective. But yeah, it will be a while before I'm caught up enough to invest in something like a PS5!

Old 12-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

The nice thing about waiting on games is you don't get caught up in the hype over new releases; if you remain a few years behind its easier to identify the truly great games and focus on them.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:08 AM   #5
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Steam sales are my butter. A buddy got me Half Life Alyx for Christmas. Between Escape from Tarkov and BF1942 now and then I don't have much time for games.

Still looking forward to playing Red Dead Redemption II

I've got a stupid amount of backlog games in my steam library. Never enough time.

What are your rig specs Ginkasa?
I've got a 2700x and a GTX 1070. Rift S and I just got a 32" 1440p curved GIGABYTE monitor. Happy with it, probably prefer no curve but it was the best deal in November. 165hz

GPU prices got stupid and now even crazier. Probably be a while before I upgrade the 1070

Old 12-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I've got a RTX 2070 Super and i7-9700k. Before that my prior PC was running a 770, so I was due for an upgrade.

Cyberpunk runs pretty well at nearly the highest settings; mainly I have the raytracing settings set to medium and everything else Ultra or just under. I don't really obsess over or measure FPS. I'm probably not hitting 60 FPS, but its smooth enough. I'm not seeing any dips or jerkiness except infrequently.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

I have i5-10400 and GTX 1650. Do I know what those things mean? No, not really.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Beat this awhile and was overall pretty whelmed. It performed fine for me, but the game itself just didn't deliver on the promise. I stayed away from most pre-release hype. I didn't really watch any of the promotional videos or anything; I was really just interested because I've enjoyed the Witcher series so much. Even with that it didn't really live up to the Witcher series. There were some really good moments and I liked a lot of the characters (I'm a Judy stan), but the overall story was disappointing and the game design was nothing special bordering on dated in some aspects.

Maybe if they come out with a significant update with QOL improvements like they did with the Witcher series I might boot it up again and check it out then, but otherwise I doubt I'll ever revisit.