Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Music

What happened to "Parental Advisory"
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default What happened to "Parental Advisory"

Anyone who grew up during the 90s is probably familiar with this:

I have many fond memories of being in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade....and having to combat the parental advisory warning. It was such a big deal I was selective in the music I purchased. I only bought CDs that were Parental Advisory free, so as to appease my parents. Meanwhile, I had a growing stash of burned albums that were full of explicit content. Thanks to my local library, I discovered that I could check out music full of dirty swear words.

I could go on a nostalgic kick too with burned CDs and my summers in 6th grade making CD mixes with friends.....

But seriously, some parental advisory highlights of my rebellious youth:
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP (I copied from my friend)

Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (I asked for this as a birthday gift, my aunt bought me the EDITED copy! What a bitch! I still have that useless piece of plastic shit laying around, I have NEVER listened to that album censored, not once. Even when I was in 6th grade I had principles....)

System of a Down - System of a Down (Listened to at friend's house)

Korn - Korn, Life is Peachy, Follow the Leader (burned from my local library)

Dead Kennedys (not sure what album, got from friends during my middle school punk rock phase)

Blink 182 - Their whole catalog. Damn, this was all I listened to in 6th grade.

I miss Parental Advisory. It seems like it died off with the advent of Itunes. Or am I just too grown up and listening to whatever I want to notice parental advisory?

Does iTunes and other music stores sell censored music? Do people still care about Parental Advisory or was it just a bad late-80's early 90's fad?

Re: What happened to "Parental Advisory"
Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: What happened to "Parental Advisory"

Quote:
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
That's my first experience with it.

But I think the Parental Advisory has gone away forever. While they might (maybe) still put it on albums, I think it's just the same as the warning they put before every show (remember when shows never had warnings?). The same way they used to actaully ID kids who rented R rated games who were clearly under the age. Things have just changed. I think Parental Advisory was a fad sort of, for the parents involved. It was the beginning of the 'protect the children in every way possible' era, where they tried to instill that the swear words of the time [including 'bitch', 'crap', 'ass', and 'god damn'] were horrible for their well-being. Lots has happened in the last 20 years.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Yeah, I agree that it was a fad...stupid parents who suck too much at parenting their own kids so they vicariously live through imposing censorship on others.

The best was when the 'Parental Advisory' sticker was attached to the plastic wrap on the album, so you could peel it off before paying for it.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

My first experience with Parental Advisory I think was DMX: And Then There was X

I remember fondly enjoying this CD in a charter bus on our 7th grade class trip to the Brookfield Zoo and the Cubs game at Wrigley. Good memories actually, the Cubs lost.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered

My first burned album that was Parental Advisory was one of the Korn albums I think.

I don't think I've ever actually OWNED an album with that on the front cover. Though I know the NIN albums I have are parental advisory. I also own some Opeth albums too which I think those might be but I haven't looked. I don't own very many CDs today.

In high school my friend that was older than me and had a car would go buy CDs for me with the money I gave him. All of those got stolen though. And a lot of them I really don't want to buy back. The ones I do want back I think I already own for the most part.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369