Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Music

Records vs. Digital
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Records vs. Digital

What do you prefer?

Personally, I really, really like vinyl a lot better. The sound is better, and sounds more real. Digital is so polished, and everything's evened out, and sounds too produced.

I inherited a schwackload of original old records that were my dad's (The Doors, Zeppelin, Floyd, All the stones recods, Beatles, Byrds, Marley etc.) and I have a stereo/record player combo - and I don't even use it for anything other than radio and records.

I immediately deleted my entire library of stones and beatles once I realized the authenticity that a record holds.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Re: Records vs. Digital
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360
Default Re: Records vs. Digital

Records definitely have a lot more personality, but they can get damaged and worn. I dont play my White Album LP very much.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
Records definitely have a lot more personality, but they can get damaged and worn. I dont play my White Album LP very much.
It all (basically) depends on the care you take of the needle, and if you wipe down the record each time you play it with the foam-thing.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

i know i know. But still digital files are less prone to breakage, etc. They are also easier to replace haha

Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Part of the reason why digital music sounds like shit is because people don't respect the mastering of music anymore. Everything is about loudness and things get muddled or overproduced. I'll suggest Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" as an amazing digitally mastered album. Pink Floyd and Steely Dan have great mastering too....and (dare I bust it out?) my digital copy of King Crimson's "In the Court of the Krimson King" sounds pretty fucking good. But then, my dad has that on vinyl so cool shoes. Basically, modern music is horribly mastered for the most part. Yeah, I'm looking at you Death Magnetic. On the other hand, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are wonderfully produced and mastered, but then ...And Justice For All is not (except for the rare Gold version).

Anyway, for preservation of the wonder days of music (60s, 70s, before music sucked) I would root for vinyl. I would take digital over vinyl 99% of the time though for convenience sake. As a hobbyist or an asshole (audiophile) I would say crazy things like "OH MAN VINYL IS THE ONLY WAY TO LISTEN TO MUSIC EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS!!!"

Actually, nowadays I see vinyl used most in metal. That warmer sound does seem to fit heavier music. And music in the 60s and 70s was much heavier than a lot of stuff you hear nowadays. The stuff TODAY might SOUND heavier, but that's just because the mastering is shitty. Weird, right?

(so yes, I support vinyl and I support people who support vinyl. mastering music is a dying art, just like originality and talent).

Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Actually, nowadays I see vinyl used most in metal.

Really?
99% of the vinyl I see now (That aren't re-pressings) are indie bands, or independent artists who do most things by themselves, or are just starting out.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Really?
99% of the vinyl I see now (That aren't re-pressings) are indie bands, or independent artists who do most things by themselves, or are just starting out.
Hmm...I believe it. I know Steve Albini sort of took an anti-Digital stance. I believe Shellac's "At Action Park" and Big Black's "Songs About Fucking" both were intended for Vinyl release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_About_Fucking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Action_Park

Slint's "Spiderland" may also have gotten the Vinyl treatment.

I noticed from way back that you were a fan of Death From Above 1979 (right? or was that someone else?). I believe "You're A Woman, I'm A Machine" was intended for vinyl or at least given vinyl treatment as well.

Outside of Indie I've seen vinyl pressings for metal bands like Eyehategod, Mastodon, and even Bongzilla I think...not sure though.

So yeah, you're right. Indie and metal.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Yes, that's me who was/is a fan of DFA.

I believe their first EP Heads Up was initially released as vinyl, not too sure about YAWIAM, but the sound would definitely suit it.