Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #1306
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa
Default Re: Last movies you saw

I saw Danny Boyle's Frankenstein in Vancouver at the Scotiabank theatre, a couple of weeks ago. It's part of some National Theatre Live dealio from over there in England.

It was really good. The two stars, Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller were great to see on stage. The former played Frankenstein while Miller was the monster. They reversed roles but I didn't see that one.

Gunsmoke. 20 fricken seasons. 30+ episodes each go. Seen a few now. My dad likes the westerns. James Arness does make a good marshal.

The Raid: Redemption
-- It was about the same as Merantau as far as kungfu goodness. Meh, I had high expectations with all the hype.

Three Outlaw Samurai (1964) I recommend this for anyone who likes the ol samurai b&w's. Watch Harakiri 1962, they're both quite good.

London Boulevard -- This movie made up for the awfulness that was A Dangerous Method, in the Kiera Knightly aspect. It was a good tight movie with a shit ending. See it if you like British gangster flicks.

Death Sentence -- Taken was better. Still a decent revenger.

Moonrise Kingdom
-0- shiiiiiiiit, this is why I was in Vancouver. Shameful theatre offerings where I'm from. This movie was awsome. I would see it again if it's still playing. This film, it's his best. Maybe not my favourite but it's hard to not like pretty much every frame. He said that he thought out the scenes based on the soundtrack that was prearranged.

Headhunters
- This was a badass Norwegian suspense film. Basic plot.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy -- This is the type of movie you could just play in the background and absorb moments of retrofit Oldman being awesomely casual about his spying. The kind of movie that needs to be made more often.

Last edited by Seth : 07-16-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1307
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Black Book (Zwartboek). 8/10.
A Dutch movie about the resistance in WWII. It stars Carice van Houten, I think she plays the Red Priestess or something in Game of Thrones.
It's not often that I like a war movie... or a Dutch movie.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #1308
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl who Played With Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I watched the extended versions of all of these which were broken down into six "episodes." The first movie was good but a bit long. That might have been due to the extended bit. The 2nd and 3rd movies felt like tv shows rather than movies. Especially the last one. They had a different director than the first which probably played a large role in that. But they also removed the best element of the first one which was Blomkvist and Lisbeth's scenes together. Also rather than Lisbeth being a side character, they made her the focus which kind of was...blah.

Everything is Illuminated
Very good. Heard the book is much better though (isn't it always the way) but tempted to read it.

Megamind
Such a great take on the Superman/Lex Luthor relationship. Worth watching for the intro only. Really fun and quite heartwarming.

Timecrimes
Oh man, this was awesome. Loved it. Like an easy to understand Primer. One of the best time travel movies. Love how self contained it is.

Extraterrestrial
From the same writer/director as above. This is more a romantic dramedy that just so happens to have an alien invasion as a backdrop. I enjoyed it a good deal.

Zero Effect
Had just rewatched (I almost never rewatch movies) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang so was in the mood for another director flick. This has Bill Pullman as the world's greatest detective, and Ben Stiller as his assistant who does all the legwork, since Zero (Pullman) hardly ever leaves his apartment and never interacts with the clients...at least not as himself. Decent movie. Would actually love a sequel. The characters really grew on me by the end.

Last edited by Teuthida : 07-22-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #1309
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Lockout

Fucking terrible. I mean really, really bad. Every line is a cliche. This is Sylvester Stallone in Cobra bad.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #1310
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Lockout

Fucking terrible. I mean really, really bad. Every line is a cliche. This is Sylvester Stallone in Cobra bad.
Tell me more...

And has anyone mentioned anything about your Happy Ending sig?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1311
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

10 Things I Hate About You. 9/10.
Man I love this movie, more than I realized the first time. It might be in my top 10... I'm just a sucker for strong girls like that.

Edit: Alatriste. 7/10.
Pretty good Spanish movie with Viggo Mortensen. Takes places around 1630, when the Spanish empire apparently fell apart.

Last edited by Angrist : 07-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #1312
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
Tell me more...

And has anyone mentioned anything about your Happy Ending sig?
No and no.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #1313
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Lockout

I disagree completely. CG was shit but was an awesome, cliche action flick. Creative deaths too

Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #1314
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition. I've seen it before, of course, but its been a few years. TTT was always my least favorite of both the books (I always have to force my way through it; I've actually been "in the middle" of reading it for a few months now) and the movies, but it almost seemed like a mess coming in to it for the first time in so long. There didn't really seem to be precise purpose to the film itself, other than get to Return of the King.

The Rohan plot is fine and is the best of the movie and the book. It feels like a "side quest," but the characters and situation is interesting and the Battle of Helm's Deep is, well, a cool battle. The Ents are cool and they serve a necessary purpose to the plot, but, again, it just feels like a side story until they actually take down Saruman (spoiler alert). Frodo and Sam's story is dullsville even though its really "Plot A."

Anyway, the movie is entertaining enough. It just seems like a bit of a mess. Directionless. Its better than the book, though (at least, better than "Book 4" of "The Two Towers" being the second volume of The Lord of the Rings; "Book 3" is fine).-

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #1315
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

A Time To Kill. 7/10.
Because it was such a long time since I got this movie, I had no idea what it was about. I thought it was some revengy action movie. It turned out to be a pretty good law/racism movie.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #1316
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Rescue Dawn - Steve Zahn was great.

Limitless - Cool concept.

Bronson
- S'ok. Went in with too high expectations I think.

Castaway On The Moon - Loved this movie. A man tries to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge and ends up stranded on a island in the middle of the city where the only one who knows he's there is a shut-in girl who watches him from her apartment window.

Detective Dee And The Mystery Of The Phantom Flame - OK. Another I one I went in with high expectations. The deer fight did not disappoint at least.

Hunger Games
This was an interesting one. I read the books so the movie ended up being a nice companion piece. Pretty much a direct adaptation action wise, but a lot is missing without Katniss's inner monologue. I wonder if things were clear if watched without reading the book.

Dark Man - Not good. Felt sort of like a Batman movie without Batman. Danny Elfman's music helped in that regard.

Hot Rod - Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Cry-Baby - Great movie. Love Hatchet-Face.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 - One of the best of the DC Animated movies, and I didn't really care for the comic it's based on. Usually I won't like at least one voice actor's portrayal in one of these, but this movie was pretty much flawless. And Michael Emerson as the Joker in Part 2. Can't wait.

Bernie - Ehhh. Kind of boring. The townsfolk interviews were the most interesting part.

Snow White & The Huntsman - Very pretty. Creepy fairies.

50/50 - Twas good.

Prometheus - Great looking movie. Everything else... Such a good setup and then blahhhhhhh. Does everything Damon Lindelof write start out great and then ends up as a mess? Michael Fassbender was awesome though.

The Cabin in the Woods - Such a fun movie. A little disappointed the god didn't turn out to be Cthulhu or at least something with tentacles. And so many monsters. Not a horror fan but I love me some monsters.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #1317
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Shawn of the Dead 7/10
Pretty fun.

The Way Back 7/10
Survival movies are almost always fascinating.

Underworld: Awakening 7/10
It's got vampires, werewolves, a good looking woman and a decent story.

Watching The A-Team right now, so far I'll give it 7/10 as well. Just a decent action movie.

Edit: Oh, PROMETHEUS! Haha I saw that as well, what a joke.

So inspired by Prometheus, Disney has announced they are working on a prequel to Mickey Mouse. It takes place in medieval times, Mickey himself is only in the movie for 10 seconds and they hired a bunch of cheap actors for random roles.
Oh and it turns out that Pluto isn't a dog but a guy in a suit! It's going to be the movie of the decennium.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #1318
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Prometheus - ugghh

Warrior - Good fight culture movie. Dad and son conflict got a little drab.

Lawless - Wow Tom Hardy! Loved this movie.

Moonrise Kingdom - Seen it three times now. Typically, like every other Anderson film I'm enjoying the minute details and work on the exterior of every scene. The frame edges hold a lot of interesting prop elements that are very difficult to absorb in the first viewing. Everyone needs to see this movie.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #1319
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Never Let Me Go 7.5/10.
Woah the background story was unexpected.

Persepolis 8/10.
Stylish black and white cartoon about the recent history of Iran. Impressive.

Patlabor 6.5/10.
Average anime, comparable to Ghost in the Shell but worse.

Back to the Future 1 & 2 (3 coming soon). 8.5/10.
I'd seen them multiple times already, just not recently. They're still great movies.

Some other movies that I forgot about.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #1320
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Highlander
I know the sequels are suppose to suck but if this was the best of the bunch, they must really be horrid.

Brave
So pretty, but also so done before. And it's not even the first time with a bear either. Loved the world and characters. Just wish it had a more original story.

The Amazing Spider-man
The scenes themselves were decent overall, especially those with Peter and Gwen. (Marc Webb knows his romantic comedy.) But it felt very disjointed. I saw the doorman scene before seeing the movie...which was not actually in the movie. I wonder how much else was cut that could have bridged a lot of the gaps.

Alien
Great. And again wish the cut scene (with the egg creation) was in the movie. Disturbingly good. The crew was much more believable than that of Prometheus.

Aliens
Fun but not as good as the first.

The Dark Knight Rises
The good news: Batman's voice didn't bother me nearly as much as in the previous film. The bad: Bane's voice. He sounded like Boris Kropotkin from Rugrats. I kept expecting him to say "In the old country..." The movie as a whole: Meh? I'm glad it's over. I look forward to Nolan making better movies (I enjoyed everything he's done outside of this trilogy) and someone else doing a Batman I like...or at least tolerate.

Last edited by Teuthida : 11-16-2012 at 03:09 AM.