Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Next GTA Confirmed w/ Release Date
Old 03-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:
Default Next GTA Confirmed w/ Release Date

Ending all the constant speculation about the next installment of the Grand Theft Auto series, publisher Rockstar Games has announced that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is indeed coming out. In the press release unveiled this morning, it was revealed that GTA: San Andreas will be an exclusive title for the PlayStation 2 and will be released on October 19, 2004.

In the past few months, the latest Grand Theft Auto continuously has been rumored as Grand Theft Auto: Sin City, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Grand Theft Auto: Anything You Can Think Of. To make things even more confusing, Rockstar Games registered those names for internet sites in addition to other titles like Grand Theft Auto: Bogota and Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo. Unless these are potential future cities for the franchise, these names were most likely done to create red herrings for the press and fans of the series.

In the original Grand Theft Auto, San Andreas was a city that was based on the likeness of San Francisco. Sections of the city in the game had names that were variations of the names of different Bay Area neighborhoods. With the hilly nature of the city by the bay, gamers might be seeing some more terrain than previous installments.

With more than 11.5 million copies of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and more than 10.5 million copies of Grand Theft Auto 3 sold worldwide, there's a lot of pressure to make the next installment live up to the name. Leslie Benzies, president of developer Rockstar North, acknowledged this by stating, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values."

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/495/495767p1.html

This should be official for anyone who questions where I got it from *cough*

*awaits first screens to see if they UPGRADE the visuals or not*

Credit to Null for sig

Re: Next GTA Confirmed w/ Release Date
Old 03-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Next GTA Confirmed w/ Release Date

Interesting....

Some of you may not believe it, but I have never played any of the GTA series. It never appealed to me, and it still doesnt. This is my chance to get into the series....but I think I'll pass again.

Its RPG's for me, baby!

Old 03-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Cool, I need to play Vice City first. And what decade does this take place in?

Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Joeiss
Pinned by Dyne on Festivus

Now Playing: SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

Awesome. I'll be playing this in University next year.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Hey, awesome. I can't wait to see what they put in it.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
Dark Samurai
A Samurai? Duh...

Now Playing: Modern Warfare 2

meh....

it still doesnt appeal to me

Wii: 7837 3313 7864 6879
Smash: 0516 7138 6445

Add me, then challenge me!

Old 03-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

It's been long enough since I was dissapointed by Vice City for me to be excited for San Andreas. Guess the PS2 is coming with me next fall for college. (only have 64 and SNES with me now)

Last edited by The Germanator : 03-01-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
Joeiss
Pinned by Dyne on Festivus

Now Playing: SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator
It's been long enough since I was dissapointed by Vice City for me to be excited for San Adreas. Guess the PS2 is coming with me next fall for college. (only have 64 and SNES with me now)
I feel the exact same way. VC was a big let down for me... However, I've been bored lately, so I think I might give it another try.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

I thought VC was great... Though I didn't play it as much as GTA3 just because it was so similar and got boring a bit faster, I still got a good like........ 70 hours on the gameplay clock... Maybe more...

They've had an extra year to work on this compared to VC... I can't wait to see what they've added and such...

Old 03-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

I was extremely bored with Vice City. Loved GTAIII tho. I hope they do some major changes to this 1

Old 03-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

I hope the visuals aren't a big step down from GTAP

Old 03-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #12
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I've never really liked the GTA series. GTA III was fun for the first few hours, but it wasn't too long before random destruction became boring. The main game just didn't interest me.

So I'll pass.

*shrugs and walks away*

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #13
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa
I've never really liked the GTA series. GTA III was fun for the first few hours, but it wasn't too long before random destruction became boring. The main game just didn't interest me.

So I'll pass.

*shrugs and walks away*
My thoughts exactly...This is why I never got any of the other ones, and will not get this one.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #14
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Ummm, excuse the double post, but I just found this...

Quote:
Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

New York, NY - March 1, 2004 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

"In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands."

Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values."

Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.

About Take-Two Interactive Software

Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is an integrated global developer, marketer, distributor, and publisher of interactive entertainment software games and accessories for the PC, PlayStation® game console, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox®, Nintendo GameCubeTM and Game Boy® Advance. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned subsidiary labels: Rockstar Games, Gathering, Global Star and Joytech. The Company maintains sales and marketing offices in Cincinnati, New York, Toronto, London, Paris, Munich, Vienna, Milan, Sydney, Breda (Netherlands) and Auckland. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995: his press release contains forward-looking statements made in reliance upon the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws. Such forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them. The Company has no obligation to update such forward-looking statements. Actual results may vary significantly from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of factors. These important factors are described in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2003 in the section entitled "Cautionary Statement and Risk Factors

Old 03-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #15
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

The reason i think that Gta: Vice city bombed compared to the others in the city is that it looked to bright and happy, too much sun. It just didnt have that "lets steal a car, and kill a hooker" attitude to it. If you look at all of the ones up to GTA3 they are all dark, rainy and gloomy, set in a big Chicago or New York (im guessing) style city. Not Florida. Florida just seems too happy, and I know, for one when i stael cars the last thing i want to be, is happy. But Vice City is still good. Because theyve got the Vintage rock in there (Motley Crue, Ozzy etc) and the motorcycles.
But it was lacking one thing.....Bicycles...thats right....Bikes
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.