Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Dead Set (another zombie TV show!)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Dead Set (another zombie TV show!)

Since the Walking Dead has been kind of....hit and miss....

Quote:
Dead Set is a critically acclaimed BAFTA-nominated horror drama created by English writer Charlie Brooker.

The series takes place primarily on the set of a fictional season of the real television show Big Brother. Dead Set is a production of Zeppotron, part of the Endemol group of production and distribution companies that produces the actual Big Brother.

Dead Set first aired on Britain's E4 channel starting on 27 October 2008, just six weeks after the end of the real Big Brother series 9 on that same channel. The five episodes, aired over five consecutive nights, chronicle a zombie outbreak that strands the housemates and production staff inside the Big Brother House, which quickly becomes a shelter from the undead.
http://youtu.be/OErUbThn4pg

Re: Dead Set (another zombie TV show!)
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Default Re: Dead Set (another zombie TV show!)

Maybe don't watch this LOL. The characters actually behave like normal humans, and don't do stupid-retarded things.

My only gripes are fast zombies, and very Romero-esque. But there is some new ground being broken here and some biting social commentary. And a miniseries...so shouldn't take too long to watch.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
KillerGremlin
No Pants

So I made my post mid-series, I wrapped up episode 5 tonight. Good things here...and considering the total viewing time is the 45-minute premier plus four 25-minute episodes, the show flies by.

Here's a link to the torrent for the uninitiated.

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/492...ip.XviD-HAGGiS.

Really funny, dark stuff. A few moments of "holy shit" and a few moments that had me laughing out loud. I know people aren't 100% on board with the fast zombies, but they effectively resonate with the tone/message of this mini series.

Quote:
Dead Set is a social commentary set to the backdrop of the zombie genre. People might look at the last sentence and comment on how clichéd that phrase is. But that’s the point. Dead Set took the social commentary of George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead and modernized it...
Quote:
EAD SET was written and produced by Charles Brooker, a British media maven and sardonic critic, and directed by Yann Demange. The show’s cast is a group of seasoned English actors who make the trite reality stars look believable and imminently revolting. Dripping in gore and obscenities, DEAD SET is scathing critique at its core.
Quote:
I was surprised how far the creators, mostly known for their comedy shows, went in to the realm of zombiedom in this, plenty of blood and gore and they manage to keep things tense and scary but also throw in fair amount of comedy at the right places. The zombies are of the fast kind and the whole thing could be a companion piece to either 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake.
The five episodes make up 140 minutes of zombie mayhem and I felt that the show never dropped its pace, there were of course annoying characters you want to punch in the face, outside of the pre-annoying contestants but most if not all get their comeuppance in the end.
This one gets my stamp of approval. It probably plays out more like a movie, so there you go. This was what Romero wanted to make after Day of the Dead, but failed to accomplish thrice.

Oh...and there are tits. Yay for boobies!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I know people aren't 100% on board with the fast zombies,
Do people still even gripe about fast zombies?
I don't even really remember the last time I saw a slow, trudging zombie in a recent zombie movie.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Do people still even gripe about fast zombies?
I don't even really remember the last time I saw a slow, trudging zombie in a recent zombie movie.
Yeah...I dunno. I don't mind them. Most of the movies with fast zombies have good stories, so they aren't just using the fast zombies for cheap thrills. There is something "burdening" with the slow, Romero-esque zombies.