Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: In Westboro I was born and raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Not sure if you were joking or if you really agree with me, but if you really believe in God, you'll probably believe that what he wants for us doesn't chance. If practicing homosexuality was wrong 2 millennia ago, it's wrong now.

And Typhoid, you're right. There's a difference between having feelings and practicing them.
Didn't quite a lot change from the Old Testament to the New Testament?

And other things have changed from when the New Testament was written til now - it's no longer considered right or ethical to own slaves, for example.

I think every religious person ultimately ends up cherry picking the things they like and disregarding the things they don't. Religious homosexual people ignore the part that says it's wrong. Religious people who don't believe in slavery ignore that part. Everyone seems to ignore the book of Job.

Maybe 'ignore' isn't the right word, though. It's more like people want to gloss over the things they don't like, or just say "oh, it was a different time". But for some reason they can't let others do that to the things they do like.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Not sure if you were joking or if you really agree with me, but if you really believe in God, you'll probably believe that what he wants for us doesn't chance. If practicing homosexuality was wrong 2 millennia ago, it's wrong now.

And Typhoid, you're right. There's a difference between having feelings and practicing them.
Again, what does that have to do with protesting at military funerals? Its ok to believe whatever you want to believe, but when you literally terrorize innocents that makes you an evil, disgusting person and is very much AGAINST Christian belief.

I hope they are REALLY surprised when they die and are greeted with their own special cubicle in Hell.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Sorry for the confusion; I never talked about protesting at military funerals. Of course nobody should protest at any funeral. Please let people do what they like (religiously).
I was talking about the moment somebody wants to join a religious organisation. In Holland there have been many homosexuals who are upset that they can't receive a hosti (is that what it's called in English too?) in the catholic church. They've been protesting about it, saying that everybody should be able to receive it.

And yeah, God 'changed the rules' when his son came to earth. But there's been nothing new since then.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

How do we know he hasn't changed them about other things but didn't think it was important enough to go about sending another messiah? Is there a line in the bible that says "if any details change, I'll let you know promptly"?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Yes actually. Let me look it up for you, moment.

There is a pretty literal one:
Revelations 22:18,19
"I am bearing witness to everyone that hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things which are written about in this scroll."

Then there are a lot of times where Jesus (and his disciples) warned about false prophets, or people who would tell something different from what he did.

Anyway, in the end it's pretty much a personal matter of wanting to take the bible literal or not. Not much sense in discussing that.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Being that God created everyone, Canadians, Americans, The Taliban, Insurgents, Australians, The Dutch, The Nazi's, Jews, Black People, Muslims, Buddhists, Brits, The French - he sure isn't pissed off that half of them want to kill the other half, let alone don't even believe in him.

Vengeful God was much more exciting than the God that hates fags and brown people. Vengeful God loved brown people, and hated white people. Those were the days.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Being that God created everyone, Canadians, Americans, The Taliban, Insurgents, Australians, The Dutch, The Nazi's, Jews, Black People, Muslims, Buddhists, Brits, The French - he sure isn't pissed off that half of them want to kill the other half, let alone don't even believe in him.

Vengeful God was much more exciting than the God that hates fags and brown people. Vengeful God loved brown people, and hated white people. Those were the days.
God, in a Christian sense, has never hated "brown people". In fact, most of the oppression of foreign `savages' was in a misguided effort to save them through religious conversion. We can argue the results, but there was no hate. In fact, you could say there was mainly love.

Secondly, God may or may not be pissed at people for killing each other. If the 10 commandments are accurate and God exists, I'd say he is. Then again, New Testament God also gave Men free will and reserves punishment for the afterlife, so there nay be plenty of comeuppance... we just don't know.

Also, Typh, your signature quote is also theologically inaccurate. Jesus would have never mandated that a government seize property (taxes) by force and then redistribute that property. Jesus 1) was post-national and did not believe in the power of nations/governments and 2) he believed that people should be charitable of their own volition. That whole free will thing.

In the end, people need to mind their own fucking business. You want to join a bigoted church and hate gays? Go right ahead, just keep in to yourself, and keep your mouths fucking shut.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
God, in a Christian sense, has never hated "brown people". In fact, most of the oppression of foreign `savages' was in a misguided effort to save them through religious conversion. We can argue the results, but there was no hate. In fact, you could say there was mainly love.
That is, unless you ask the Mormons about Native Americans. Then God does hate them.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Strangler, first off - for the sig - take it up with Everclear. It's a song.

Secondly the "God hating brown people" was also tongue-in-cheek. My post was not entirely serious. More aimed at the fact that Jesus was brown, all religion started with brown people, as the whites of the north were pagans, roughly until Rome was converted.

But in all seriousness, I agree with your last sentence. Who is what religion doesn't matter, and it's none of anyone elses business. There's a reason I don't talk about my personal beliefs on the internet, because it's irrelevant. I just wish other people lived like that as well.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmariolover View Post
That is, unless you ask the Mormons about Native Americans. Then God does hate them.
I'm not sure Mormon's are Christians in a traditional sense, but your point it taken, but I don't think it alters the general rule. That's not to say that the "love" didn't do tons of damage.

And Typh, Everclear may have written the song but they didn't put it into your sig. When people quote something they generally do so out of agreement. If you quoted it to mock it or for some other reason, I apologize.

Quote:
But in all seriousness, I agree with your last sentence. Who is what religion doesn't matter, and it's none of anyone elses business. There's a reason I don't talk about my personal beliefs on the internet, because it's irrelevant. I just wish other people lived like that as well.
Agreed.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #26
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

We've gotten off topic.

Those Westboro people are fucking nuts!

What crazy freak even gets off thinking that they and their tiny family are the only people that truly understand God's will?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #27
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:

I don't agree with you, per se. I respect that you are firm in your position regarding religion. You're not like the masses of people who want their cake (afterlife) and want to eat it too (druggin', sexin', not going to church ever, being gay, etc.).

Now if only we can apply your logic to the real world, I think we'd have a lot less religious people or a lot less annoying druggin', sexin' posers at mass every Easter and Christmas.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #28
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Hmm I wonder how long it will be before religion is mostly obsolete?

OR before some new religion basically replaces christianity?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Actually, the Bible itself predicts that religion will lose its popularity and eventually be attacked by politics.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Actually, the Bible itself predicts that religion will lose its popularity and eventually be attacked by politics.
Oh hey because that had never happened before in society pre-biblical times.