Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #1096
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:
Default Re: Last movies you saw

The Golden Compass. 6/10. Bad story telling.
Flags of our Fathers. 6/10. Pretty boring.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #1097
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Just saw True Grit. It was good, but I wasnt exactly blown away. Maybe I was too hyped up for it, I dont know. I liked No Country for Old Men a lot more.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #1098
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
Just saw True Grit. It was good, but I wasnt exactly blown away. Maybe I was too hyped up for it, I dont know. I liked No Country for Old Men a lot more.
I don't even think you can compare the two movies.

My understanding is that the Coen Brother's take on True Grit was more in tune with the novel whereas the original changed things up a bit. I cannot say since I have not read the novel. I can say I have seen the original movie and I think Hailee Steinfeld defined the role as Mattie Ross.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #1099
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Black Swan. 9/10.

Blew my mind into tiny little pieces.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #1100
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Inception: Perhaps the most brilliantly conceived movie so far this century, and one of the top ten "smartest" movies ever made.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1101
Bube
President of the Galaxy

Now Playing: Alice: Madness Returns, WoW

I'd kill to watch Black Swan, but it opens in theaters at the end of February. And no, I do not want to download it.

I watched Inception for the second time a few days ago, and it was even better than my first viewing.

And I watched Shutter Island a few days before that. Loved it.

Last year was all Leonardo DiCaprio. This year seems like it's going to be Natalie Portman.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #1102
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Inception: Perhaps the most brilliantly conceived movie so far this century, and one of the top ten "smartest" movies ever made.
I'm curious to know what you would consider the other nine.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #1103
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

I would hope that list includes Weekend at Bernies

Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #1104
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
I'm curious to know what you would consider the other nine.
I don't have a formal list, but off the top of my head...

2001: A Space Odyssey
Metrolis (original)
Nosferatu (original)
The 400 Blows
The Seventh Seal
Apocalypse Now
Wizard of Oz
Lord of the Rings
Citizen Kane

Keep in mind, this is about conception, not necessarily the greatest movie of all time.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #1105
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

How is The Lord of the Rings a good 'conception' movie? Because it puts you in a whole different world?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #1106
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
How is The Lord of the Rings a good 'conception' movie? Because it puts you in a whole different world?
This was a nod towards its conception as a movie, and not a story. The entire undertaking was enormous. Its as if Jackson completed the film on a dare. To film three, three hour long movies (much longer in director's cuts), at the same time, and for it all to come out so seamlessly and iconic is a triumph of what is possible in film.

From the risk that New Line took, to the product that was achieved, Lord of the Rings stands alone when you consider the equation of balls+execution+vision.

Something of this level was never done before, and likely will never be done again.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #1107
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

The Town:

Pretty good. Very well acted by a good cast, but generally not a believable story. I know some of this stuff could possibly go down, but I didn't really buy it. Still pretty entertaining though.

Exit Through the Gift Shop:

Pretty cool, maybe fake-ish documentary that is still funny and entertaining. Street art can be pretty rad.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1108
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Nattevagten (Nightwatch). 8/10.
Great Danish thriller about a guy who just got a job at a morgue, which is then visited by a psychopath killer.
The most terrifying scenes are when nothing happens and the main character just walks through the morgue at night.
If you don't mind subtitles, I highly recommend this.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #1109
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Care to elaborate on the conception of the film a bit further?

I just watched The Last Exorcism. Like Paranormal Activity, this film will require you to:
A) suspend your disbelief
B) let the film take you on a ride
C) be okay with a minimal number of special effects
D) be open to ambiguous endings

All-in-all it might be a cut above Paranormal because it did not depend on cheap scares.

Not-sequitur: At the very least, The Last Exorcism got me to read some reviews. In one of the reviews Owen Gleiberman pointed out that The Last Exorcism would likely be compared to the number one exorcism movie of all time, The Exorcist. He alsos notes that in The Exorcist the emmergence of female sexuality was conveyed (via crucifix masturbation nonetheless!), which ties into the emerging feminist themes of the 70s . Interesting stuff.
Source: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20415539,00.html
Quote:
So what does the devil look like in The Last Exorcism? I'd be the Antichrist if I spoiled it, but I will say that the movie, directed by Daniel Stamm from a script by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland, with Eli Roth serving as producer, is a nightmare vision of the rise of Christian fundamentalism. It's about the dark side of piety — the cultish wrath that can emerge out of the high and the mighty. At the center of it all, once again, is a teenage girl's gnashing madness. The original Exorcist came out a few years after the feminist revolution kicked into gear, and Linda Blair's she-devil expressed our primal fear of a newly furious, newly empowered, and newly sexualized generation of young girls, the first that seemed to be channeling wanton forces far beyond their control. The best thing in The Last Exorcism is Ashley Bell's performance: She knows how to make rage the flip side of innocence. Especially when the camera follows her into the barn, and we see how those animals really died.
Seriously though, it is AMAZING the amount of social commentary that gets embedded into horror. Next to comedy I think horror is the deepest genre as far as film is concerned.

I actually loved The Last Exorcism, I thought the movie was moody and brilliantly shot. To take a page from the Professor's book ( ) I think the conception of the film was brilliant. I thought the ambiguous ending was more hit than miss, and I am still trying to piece together what happened.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #1110
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Care to elaborate on the conception of the film a bit further?
Just in the editing and use of perception of time from dream layer the dream layer is enough ti put this movie in top 10. The use of the van plummeting to build suspense was nothing short of genius.

Quote:
I just watched The Last Exorcism. Like Paranormal Activity, this film will require you to:
A) suspend your disbelief
B) let the film take you on a ride
C) be okay with a minimal number of special effects
D) be open to ambiguous endings
I both loved and hated The Last Exorcism, but I don't think the ending was ambiguous at all. In fact, I thought they tied everything up pretty nicely, plot wise.

My thoughts on the ending: In the beginning of the movie they have clips of people talking about cults, so they laid the seed there. The son is upset at an exorcist coming, and throws rocks, not because he cares about his sister but because of what is inside of her. He is and was always a member of the cult, and his job was to protect what was in her belly. That's why he was fine with the exorcist being there when he found out he was a charlatan.

The movie failed in two ways, or one depending on how you look at it. Yes, it depended on suspension of disbelief, and for the most part it succeeded, but the ending completely ruined it for me. The concept would have worked far better if they didn't go for the fake documentary.