Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #76
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

You misunderstand my meaning of "best adaptation there could have been". It is has nothing to do with being "perfect". You have to consider the possibilities of a Watchmen movie in the hands of some other director, or studio. Even just a few years ago, before movies like the Dark Knight and 300 proved that violent, intelligent comic book movies were successful, the thought of an almost 3 hour long, rated R Watchmen movie that was faithful in any way to the source material was absurd.

What I'm trying to say is that we can nitpick as much as we want, but it could have been so much worse, like a stupid PG13 90 minute piece of crap. I'd rather just be thankful for what we got.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #77
Thespis721
Duke

Now Playing: Ninja Gaiden 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
You misunderstand my meaning of "best adaptation there could have been". It is has nothing to do with being "perfect". You have to consider the possibilities of a Watchmen movie in the hands of some other director, or studio. Even just a few years ago, before movies like the Dark Knight and 300 proved that violent, intelligent comic book movies were successful, the thought of an almost 3 hour long, rated R Watchmen movie that was faithful in any way to the source material was absurd.

What I'm trying to say is that we can nitpick as much as we want, but it could have been so much worse, like a stupid PG13 90 minute piece of crap. I'd rather just be thankful for what we got.
I absolutely agree that perhaps 5 or so years ago, this couldn't have been possible. (I believe three it could have since I think the process started about three years ago) I don't mean to play a game of semantics, but I do hear a lot of "best adaptation there could have been" from people who mean exactly those words.

But as I heard somewhere else, the fact that we can nitpick, and that we all pull something from the movie that was off is just a testament of how good the novel was that we found even the details to be important.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #78
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

wow i just saw the film...

I actually sought out the graphic novel and read it before seeing the film. Normally I don't do that, but this comic in particular intrigued me.

I have to say, changing the ending so as to put the blame on Dr. Manhattan....I thought it cheapened the point of the original ending.

I thought Dr. Manhattan was one of the few beacons of hope in Alan Moore's dreadful dreary of a distopia. At the end of the novel he sees some good in humans, so much in fact he goes to stop the inevitable nuclear war...only to find that Ozymandias was the mastermind behind it all. He informs Ozymandias that the plan will only be temporarily successful (if that), we then see the guilty and emotional side of Ozymandias (which was also missing form the film), and then in a beacon of positivity and hope Dr. Manhattan leaves the love (Silk Spectre) he can no longer have since he is no longer human and he goes off to create new life elsewhere.

Blaming blue balls and making Ozymandias the supervillain and then leaving the film on a note with a united word........totally cheapens the ending in my opinion.

It was cute that at the end they find Rorschach's diary. I guess it is implied that the plan is a failure anyway.

Otherwise I thought the movie was fucking brilliant. The ending seemed rushed and I'd like to see a director's cut with the original ending since the original ending is better.

Better for who? Us comic nerds. As was stated in this thread I'm probably nitpcking. But the way I see....most people are going to hate Watchmen the movie unless they have read the book. It's heavy, depressing stuff. It's all over the place thematically too. So my question is, how many people are we REALLY alienating if we put a big squid creature in at the end?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #79
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I'm just surprised that Snyder would follow the comic pretty much to a tee until the final chapter.......and change the ending and personality of Adrian.

I thought the casting was great.

I thought the comic to movie visuals was as good as it will get (just look at 300, it was EXPECTED).....

I even enjoyed the music, although some of the choices where a bit cliche and Dr. Manhattan's theme was by far the best....

I mean I almost came during the murder of The Comedian at the beginning.....the cinematography was BEAUTIFUL! And the whole prison scene with Rorschach was epic. It was just a beautiful film. So what the hell....

....why take creative liberties in the last 20 minutes of the otherwise perfectly translated vision?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #80
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

I think that it would be easier for movie audiences to accept Dr. Manhattan rather than a giant space squid with psychic powers.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #81
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

I think if they mentioned the kidnapped artists (and showed that squid picture the woman was working on) and writers and the island (it was an island right? been a while since read) the squid wouldn't have been completely out of left field for the audience who didn't read the book.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #82
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
I think that it would be easier for movie audiences to accept Dr. Manhattan rather than a giant space squid with psychic powers.
I think that goes hand in hand with them not showing Veidt's cat thingie before hand as it was part of his experimentation or whatever.

But I agree on some notes with KG, but he interrupted the ending a tad bit different as I always felt that Manhatthan returned because he kind of knew the inevitable, sure he was unable to see the future at that point.

Also, I think he leaves Silk Spectre because he sees that Nite Owl can offer her something he can not.

And I don't think Veidt is told outright that his plan will fail just that the struggle may always happen and what he did was for nigh.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #83
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I think that goes hand in hand with them not showing Veidt's cat thingie before hand as it was part of his experimentation or whatever.

But I agree on some notes with KG, but he interrupted the ending a tad bit different as I always felt that Manhatthan returned because he kind of knew the inevitable, sure he was unable to see the future at that point.

Also, I think he leaves Silk Spectre because he sees that Nite Owl can offer her something he can not.

And I don't think Veidt is told outright that his plan will fail just that the struggle may always happen and what he did was for nigh.
I think there is a lot of implication in the novel that Adrian's plan is only a temporary solution......and bless the novel, because in the novel Adrian actually has emotion and some regret towards what he did. In the movie he destroyed several major cities killing way more poeple and he kinda had a smug supervillain persona going the whole time.

I agree blue balls returned because it was inevitable....and i agree he left silk spectre because he sees night owl can offer her something he cannot: something human.

I think Mr. Zach Snyder could have screwed it up in a much worse way so after sleeping on this one for a night (literally) I'm fairly pleased. The source material is epic, and there has been a lot of protest towards making this film. Snyder was mostly faithful to the comic, the visuals were amazing, a lot of the story was told........it's silly to complain too much. Hopefully the Director's Cut or the DVD will have the original ending or a really really good explanation why the ending wasn't chosen.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #84
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Here are some details on the extended cut

Quote:
First thing is first not all the changes are directly from the comic. A few extensions of scenes are entirely made up. A few of the new scenes are just same situation and location but different dialouge (good though and true to the spirit of the scene from the comic book and to the characters themselves.) Most of the changes bring it dead on with comic. Added monolouge and dialouge here and there.

I would rate the theatrical cut an 8 and this 3hr cut a 10

Here's a list of changes that I noticed:

1. At the end of Rorschach's search of the comedian's apartment. Two cops enter, he knocks one of the cops out and jumps out the window as the other cop is firing his gun at him.

2. Rorschach has more comic book monolouge, throughout the movie. Though I'm only going to mention it once. (nothing but the good stuff too.)

3. Dan and Holis's visit is extended by seeing roschrach on TV. Hollis comments "It didn't stop him." (refering to the keane act.)

4. More scenes from the comic such as:

-- Before they walk into the alley we are introduced to the scene by the news vendor talking to Seymour delivering his papers.

-- When Jon says "leave me alone" everyone in the room disappears. Leaving him alone.

-- Cut back to Laurie and Dan at the end of the fight.

-- Laurie decides to go back to the military base and Dan meets with Hollis; they watch TV and learn of Jon's departure. Dan says laurie doesn't know. Cut to Jon on Mars and his story.

--The only major difference in this scene that I can remember is Jon talks about his symbol, slightly varied from the comic he says,"The boys in marketing wanted me to have a symbol. I said if I should have a symbol it shall be one I respect."

--Next scene is Laurie getting interrogated at the military base. They discover that Jon is on Mars and Laurie escapes and decides to go stay with Dan.

5. Rorschach has more dialogue from the comic with Dr. Malcom. Also in his story of the girl, the murder is shown as in the comic - walking outside, asking his dogs to bark, when they don't he draws his gun and enters the building.

6. Rorschach and Laurie argue on the rooftop of the jail; Rorschach more or less calls Laurie a whore. They escape.

7. Jon and Laurie begin their conversation as they did in the comic: "You're going to tell me you have been having an affair with Dan".

8. A few more interesting changes, happen.

9. Oh and Hollis talks on the phone with Sally, only to be interrupted by knocks at the door. He has a great montage death scene. They also explain why the knot heads go there at an earlier point.

10. In the bar, Dan sees the news of Hollis's death by knot heads and beats up one in the bar (knocks out like all of his front teeth. pretty brutal).
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41595

Quote:

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #85
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

Plus all the black Freighter stuff is in there, right?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #86
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I had hoped they would have expanded on Oz and had an alternate ending with Ox being a bit more human, but I guess not. That was the biggest beef most people had with the film.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #87
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Plus all the black Freighter stuff is in there, right?
I guess not, there is a super extended edition coming out end of the year.

Quote:

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #88
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Ahhh! I hate when you buy something and then they release the Ultimate Cut! They did that with Lord of the Rings...my family owns the boring version and the epic version of the Lord of the Ring DVDs....