Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Yakuza
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Yakuza

Anybody else play this series? Its great and I'm kinda sorta working my through it again in between my Dragon Quest playthrough.

If you're unfamiliar, the series if kind of like an open world brawler RPG with a heavy minigame and sidequest element. Imagine a more gamey and better paced Shenmue.

There are 8 main series games, plus two remakes. Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are ground up remakes for the first two games. Other than that you have Yakuza 2-6, Yakuza 0 (which is, surprise, a prequel), and then Yakuza: Like a Dragon which is kind of a reboot with a new protagonist and turn based battles.

You also have a few games with the same gameplay style. Judgment is sort of a spin-off; takes place in the same setting and same gameplay, but you play a private detective rather than a former yakuza. A sequel was just announced: Lost Judgment. There also a Fist of the North Star game by the same developers. I haven't played it, but my understanding is it plays basically the same. There are also some older spin-offs that have the same characters kind of recast in historical Japanese roles and take place in medieval Japan. Unfortunately, those haven't been brought over to NA.

I love the series. I remember first trying the original game on PS2 when it was compared to Shenmue, but it didn't speak to me at that point for some reason. I hopped on with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and have been onboard since. This was before the HD remasters of 3-5, so I'd been meaning to go back through again and play through those as well. Playing Like a Dragon last year got me going on it, but then Dragon Quest distracted me about a third of the way through Kiwami 2. Picked it back up while I pause DQ while waiting for Mass Effect.

Anyone else play the series?

Current Review: Xenogears

Re: Yakuza
Old 05-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered
Default Re: Yakuza

I’ve played some of 1 on PS2 and I miss it cause I liked how bad the dub was but I’ve dug in more on 0 even though I haven’t finished it yet. I got to unlocking Majima and Kazama’s minigames and I hit the point where I think I need to progress time to be able to do more properly but I haven’t fired it back up since. I keep thinking of making a note to go back to it though.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 05-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Ha ha the dub was part of why I couldn't get through the first game on PS2.

The latest game had an English dub as an option (and the upcoming Lost Judgment will also have the option).

Old 01-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Man this series is so long and it takes so long to beat a single game which is kind of annoying but also I love it lol

After beating Yakuza: Like a Dragon in 2020 I felt inspired to work my way back through the series. At the time I was still in full lockdown "not doing nothin'" mode. I had beaten all of the Final Fantasies in, like, a couple of months so I figured it (and I was also doing Dragon Quest) might just be the next thing.

But then I decided I could use my additional time more productively, bettering myself kind of thing and also then the vaccine so we started feeling more confident going and out doings things and I ain't marathoning through stuff at the pace I was in 2020 lol

Anyway, suffice to say, I still kept playing the series but by the time Lost Judgement came out in mid/late 2021 I was only on, like, Yakuza Kiwami 2. I bought the game, but didn't want to start playing it until I got back to that point. Finally got back to Yazkua: Like a Dragon and beat it last month, two years after I previously did. Don't think my original plan was to play it by the time I got back to it it wasn't as fresh! Now I'm finally playing Lost Judgment but Like a Dragon: Ishin comes out in like a month and man its neverending but I love it lol

(and in general there is a ton of good stuff coming out and I don't know if I'm going to be able to get to it all)