Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Nation States
Old 08-31-2005, 10:23 PM   #1
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Nation States

So, I found this pretty neat "game." Its like a government simulation type thing. You make your own country and participated in this "world," which consists of every single other person who has made a country.

As the ruler of the cojntry, you have to deicde (or, you know, ignore) various issues that your "people" (aka the program) sets before you. Your decisions affect exactly what kind of government you have (democracy, dictatorship, etc.) and how happy your people are.

But from what I've seen, the real meat of the whole thing is the interaction with other countries. You join regions and participate in that form of government by debating and voting on laws and such. It really works so that, if the game were the United States, the individual nations would be states and the regions would be the nation as a whole.

There's no real war, though. Not in the program. There is supposed to be someway that regions can invade other regions for political reasons, but I haven't really figured that out yet...

There is also a UN that you can join. I haven't really delved into this one too much, so I can't really explain that....

The game seems really interesting. I've only been a part of it for a couple of days so I can't really explain many of the super details, but it seems to be fun. I'm still not entirely sure how much of it is straight role-playing (like, the policies don't really affect your country, but you pretend they do) or how much of it is "real" (like, policies actually do stuff)... But either way its good.

So, if any of you want to join the address is: Nation States This doesn't get me any points or money or anything in the game, so don't worry about that.

If anybody wants to check out my little nation (just if you're curious):The Kingdom of Ginkasa

If enough of you join, we could maybe start our own region....

/me shrugs and walks away

Current Review: Xenogears

Re: Nation States
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish
Default Re: Nation States

Wow, that must be a lot of countries.

I'm starting school soon again so I'll pass for now. But in a week from now when I need to do homework, I'll start up a country called Casiopia. You can trust me on that.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

I'm going to go ahead and give this an official try. Sounds like it might be pretty fun.

And as is the laws of nature, no good game is had without its own fair share of controversy:

Quote:
NationStates has been the subject of controversy recently over the use of forums on the site by Neo-Nazis and white supremacists. Anti-racist activists alleged that moderators of the site have chosen not to stop Neo-Nazis from recruiting new members through forums linked to external sites. Anti-racist activists began an email campaign to urge Max Barry to censor the game. Certain player accounts have also been deleted after incidents of "flaming" other players occurred. Max Barry has yet to respond. Moderators and Site Administrators have claimed that it is an issue of free speech and limited persons (fewer than 1% of users), although anti-racists view it as irresponsible encouragement of hate groups such as Aryan Nations, Stormfront, White Knights of the KKK and others. Moderators have taken steps to remove hate symbols and posts.
Similar unsubstantiated accusations were made over a year ago. The Anti-Defamation_League was contacted. They examined the site and declared all accusations without merit.
I'll let you know when I have my 'Nation' ready and stuff...

Old 09-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
DarrenMcLeod
VIP Person

Now Playing: Wii Sports, Ice Hockey, Zelda: TP

This is based off of Max Barry's "Jennifer Government", a kickass book that you all should read.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Professors-istan has written a constitution and is now under self-rule.

http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Long live moral capitalism.

On a side note, while this game is very interesting, basing the nature of a nation on very few multiple-choice questions is kind of silly, but I like how the nations continues to develop with issues and such.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

You linked to the index Strangler...

Here's mine: Republic of Roscco