Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Conservatism - British Style
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Conservatism - British Style

I found this talk on TED and thought it was a fascinating take on modern conservatism and how technology is fueling the current surge in individualism we've seen. His ideas on behavioral economics were very interesting, and could really inspire positive action in people without resorting to force or manipulation.

Re: Conservatism - British Style
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:
Default Re: Conservatism - British Style

I really like David Cameron and the direction he has taken the Conservative party in Britain... it gives me hope for the Republican party in our country. I think the key twist the Conservatives have tapped into is showing compassion and care for social justice / responsibility issues. Everyone cares about the poor, inequalities, etc, it's just that Conservatives and Liberals have very different ideas as to how to rectify these situations. But showing this compassion and care is something Republicans do not do enough.

Anyway, I also liked his use of Robert Kennedy's quote on GNP:

"Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages; the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage; neither our wisdom nor our learning; neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country; it measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile. And it tells us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans."