Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Mainstream press Zelda Coverage
Old 03-25-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Stonecutter

Now Playing:
Default Mainstream press Zelda Coverage

You may need to register to read that story, so I put it at the bottom.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...chnology%2Dhed

`Legend of Zelda' Links with its glorious past

By Levi Buchanan
Special to the Tribune
Published March 25, 2003

Maybe it's the pink gown or the doe eyes, but Princess Zelda just can't keep from getting kidnapped. The courageous Link, the princess' eternal savior and deliverer, is back in action, this time on the Nintendo GameCube in "Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" ($49.99), which arrives in stores on Tuesday.

The "Zelda" franchise is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers -- more than 36 million "Zelda" games have been sold worldwide. And even though the GameCube is sitting in third place in America, demand for Link's exploits has not waned. More than 560,000 eager gamers have preordered "Wind Waker" (that's more than preordered Rockstar's blockbuster "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City"), thanks not only to strong anticipation of another quality Nintendo production, but also to a brilliant pre-order program that offered the Nintendo 64 classic "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" to those who put money down.

"Ocarina of Time," the N64 masterpiece that re-defined action-adventure games and sits atop many gaming publications' "best ever" lists, is the benchmark by which most gamers will measure "Wind Waker." And few will be disappointed, since "Wind Waker" is every bit the genius success of "Ocarina," and further testament to Nintendo's ability to produce better video games than any other software house in operation, even the mighty SEGA.

Yet "Wind Waker" represents a departure of sorts for the series, particularly in the visual department. Shigeru Miyamoto, the man whose imagination has produced most of Nintendo's hits, decided to pull back from the CG-realistic graphics of an early "Zelda" demo in favor of a cel-shaded approach that renders Link as more of a stylized cartoon. First screenings of the switch lit up Internet message boards with arguments deriding the decision, claiming it was just another example of Nintendo catering to its "kiddie" image.

But to play "Wind Waker" is to understand the change, because it is one of the most beautiful video games ever created -- it is indeed the living cartoon that many designers have striven to achieve. The level of detail is extraordinary, from the seagulls that follow your boat on the high seas to the way facial expressions change in various circumstances. Watch Link's eyes move as he scans his surroundings, anxiously looking for imminent threats.

Thanks to the versatility of the toon-shading technique, animations are extremely smooth, reminding viewers of the kind of detailed movement found in some of Bugs Bunny's best shorts. And the sunrise after a hard night on rocky waves beneath lightning-filled skies is perhaps one of the most amazing things you will ever see in a video game.

Gamers who have followed Link's many adventures across all of Nintendo's platforms, from the NES to the Game Boy's many iterations and now his first appearance on the GameCube, have developed a close relationship with the series' characters.

The story of "Wind Waker" takes place hundreds of years after "Ocarina of Time," with a new Link. Dedicated fans need not be disappointed, because the story of this new hero chasing evil across the high seas of a Water World-esque realm -- without giving away any fun, juicy details -- has many clever ties to previous quests.

"Wind Waker" plays exactly as a "Zelda" adventure should. The tight controls follow the "Ocarina of Time" scheme that has become a standard of sorts in the industry. Link's swordplay, however, is far more engaging in "Wind Waker," as Link now has access to several kinds of attacks, such as the ability to disarm opponents or reveal weak spots. Link also retains all of his classic weapons, such as a boomerang, grappling hook and magic arrows. Link's method of transportation -- his talking boat (via a gorgeously animated Chinese dragon figurehead) -- is also fun to pilot. Put up the sail, use your Wind Waker baton to change the way the winds blows, and enjoy an exciting nautical cruise set against an exquisite soundtrack.

Role-playing games have always included mini-games and side quests, often as an attempt to artificially extend game length.

Not so in "Wind Waker." Side quests include hunting down giant squid, collecting treasure maps, battling pirate ships and taking photographs so an artist can carve collectible statues. These mini-games are so deliriously fun, gamers will find themselves distracted from the main quest.

"Wind Waker" was crafted under the watchful eye of producer Miyamoto, but much of the credit for this incredible title belongs to director Eiji Aonuma, a rising star in Nintendo's development community. (Aonuma directed the last N64 "Zelda" adventure, the darkly intriguing "Majora's Mask.")

With games such as "Super Mario Sunshine," "Animal Crossing," "Metroid Prime" and now "Wind Waker," Nintendo's third-place position in America is inconceivable to anybody who values good gaming. February sales for the GameCube systems were way up in anticipation of the next "Zelda," and it's likely that "Wind Waker" will be a serious hardware mover throughout 2003. Those who still reject the new art direction are missing out on what could easily be the best game of the year, because Nintendo has delivered yet another trademark triumph.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
Mechadragon
Knight

Now Playing: Warcraft III, The Wind Waker

Whoa, in my paper I only get a crappy review once a week.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:57 PM   #3
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Good article.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Yea, I get a crappy review from some Dumbass that wouldnt know what a good game is if his life depended on it. That was a good read.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:17 PM   #5
Mushlafa
Knight

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : The Windwaker

yeah.. kinda short if ya ask me but still ok in my books

On a side note... george forman grillz ownz j00

Old 03-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #6
Gamer
Knight

Now Playing: Zelda Twilight Princess!

In my paper there was an article on friday, the writer only had good things to say, and he gave the game 5 stars! I agree completely, ive played the game for like 5 hours at least, and i just beat the deku tree...

Old 03-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

I'm rather surprised at this article. It's pretty well-informed for a mainstream article. For one thing, the author apparently knows the reaction that people on message boards had to the new look when they first saw it. He also got all the facts right (that I could tell). He didn't give all the credit for the game to Miyamoto, for example.

I suspect that most mainstream articles won't be this well-researched. Actually, Zelda probably won't be showing up in too many mainstream publications, period. After all, there's no way anybody can blame youth violence on it. Maybe I'll see something in Time magazine about it, though.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 03-30-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
Yoda9864
Jedi Master

Now Playing: Too many to list...

Man, I wish my local paper had stuff like this in it. All I get is an extremely crappy "tech watch" insert like everyother week. Half the time it doesn't even say anything about games. Nice read though.

"Do or do not" - Yoda

AIM: Yoda9864