Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Game of Thrones Season 2
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #76
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Game of Thrones Season 2

This is why I'm not reading the books until the series ends. I don't want my experience convoluted by divergent story lines. I loved the last episode, even though it suffered from a severe lack of Dinklage.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #77
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

It made up for it with an abundance of Sandor.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #78
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
This is why I'm not reading the books until the series ends.
100% this.
Plus, I personally think it would be a lot neater to read what the characters are thinking after having seen what they've done and how they've acted, and all the choices they've made.

Unless the show drastically differs from the books in the future, then that becomes entirely pointless.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2

Okay, I just finished reading all of the books less than a month ago after starting them in November, so I'll fill you guys in with what really happened in the books as opposed to what happened in the show.

Jon Snow is made to kill Ygritte after they kill the other wildings that are with her, but she gets away and he doesn't chase after her. He goes back with his companions. I won't say what happens after that because it would spoil the rest of what happens in the Frostfangs.

As Vampyr said about Bran and Rickon, they hide in the crypt and escape later, but a lot of other stuff happens at Winterfell that probably won't be addressed, and there was a conversation between Robb Stark and Roose Bolton(of the Dreadfort) that covered for this.

Also, before Theon captures Winterfell, a girl named Meera Reed and her brother Jojen Reed come from the Greywater Watch, which is at the bottom edge of the north, to tell Bran about "green dreams" that Jojen was having regarding him, which match up with his three eyed crow dream. They completely omitted these characters in the show, but they're really important. They are with Bran and Rickon when the escape. I don't know if they're going to be introduced in another way, so I hope I'm not ruining this for anyone reading this spoiler.

Petyr Baelish never meets with Catelyn Stark down in the Stormlands when she visits Renly Baratheon He also never goes to Harrenhal to meet with Tywin Lannister. The tickler isn't the one who is supposed to be killed in Harrenhal by Jaqen H'ghar, and lastly they changed Theon's sister's name from Asha to Yara. I don't know why they changed her name, but maybe it was too close to the name Osha, which is the name of the wildling lady who is serving Bran at Winterfell.

As for Dany, the dragons don't get stolen, and they changed the name of the third blood rider, but I can't remember which one it was off the top of my head. I noticed this during the first two episodes of season 2. Also, they killed off one of the bloodriders, which didn't happen in the book. All three of them should still be alive. I think one of the girls who takes care of her was also killed in the last episode as well as a lot of her "khalasar", which doesn't happen in the book, but that just backs up the stolen dragon scenario that happens.

Last edited by ZebraRampage : 05-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #80
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Leaving out the Reeds is the biggest change so far... I really hope (for those who watch) that they'll be introduced later. Pretty important to Bran's story.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #81
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

This thread is like reading a blacked out FBI document.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #82
ZebraRampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
This thread is like reading a blacked out FBI document.

I might have to edit my post to more accurately look like a confidential document.

EDIT: There, I fixed it!

Last edited by ZebraRampage : 05-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #83
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Haha perfect!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #84
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

I forget, was the wilding that Theon and Starks capture in season one, was she in the book? Because it seems like she has replaced the Reeds...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #85
ZebraRampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
I forget, was the wilding that Theon and Starks capture in season one, was she in the book? Because it seems like she has replaced the Reeds...
Osha, the wildling woman, was captured in the first book. She was with the party of wildlings that tried to capture/kill Bran when he was in the Wolfswood with Robb and a few other men from Winterfell. Theon and Robb killed all the other Wildlings and captured Osha in the process.

Osha was still part of the escape in the book, but the Reeds were there too.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #86
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

The Reeds aren't wildlings. Although I guess they share the same 'magic'.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #87
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Can we please discuss the series and not the books? This thread had become completely useless to me because every sentence is redacted in some way, yet STILL manages to spoil plot lines.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #88
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Can we please discuss the series
Futile.
Someone will shout "But in the books...".

That's my main "problem" with watching the show. Sometimes the people I'm with will comment about how a certain scene "isn't in the books", or "It didnt happen like that in the book".

I feel like saying "No, of course not. This is not a book. Please pay more attention to the understanding of a 50 minute timeslot and the idea of attempting constant viewing entertainment attempting to draw in paying customers every week while also filling in storylines, and revising certain things in the story that the writer didn't specifically care for so you're simply not watching 50 minutes of in-a-characters-head-dialogue explaining his stance on what's happening."

The best comment was made when I was watching it on the weekend:

Person A: "Where's his [John Snow] wolf? He was everywhere in the book."
Person B: "I don't know. Probably off not wasting the CGI budget."

Anyways, I thought it was a good episode. I think they all are. I haven't really been let down yet.
I've heard people bitch and complain that the dragons weren't stolen in the books.
Having not read the book, I say: tough shit.
I'd rather watch what they put in, than watch her play with her dragons and talk about how much she loves them for those 17 minutes.
But she'll get her dragons back anyhow.

--------------
I'll make future predictions, as a non-book reader and show-lover.
When I'm thinking about what will happen in the show, I try to apply real medieval thinking to it. Because it seems clear this is written more like faux-fantasy-histroy, and less like "These characters you're reading about/watching are invincible" as in normal stories/shows. There might be invincible characters, but just because you've got the perspective of a character doesn't mean that person won't die. Everyone is mortal but those who are not - rather than everyone is immortal but those who are not.

It seems clear that the Starks are all fucked. That seems like a theme of the show; is that the Starks are the glue that held Westeros together (metaphorically, not through actions.) and once Geoffrey had Ned killed; the kids spread out for vengeance/to flee [making them easier to pick apart and kill. Divide and conquer]- the armies will clash and destroy eachother - which will then cause the empire to be weak to attack from some dragons, or an attack from wildings and/or some other small-army-turned-opportunist. And all that magic shit, and walkers and all that. The people will pick themselves apart with petty fights, and then once magic demons spring forth, they'll all get their faces raped with demon-dicks. All the people leading armies are typically young men who (I believe) don't remember the last winter they had [And if they're not young men who don't remember winter, they're angry adults with blinders on]. And apparently winter is horribly terrifying - so they're not thinking about what will come in winter, they're thinking about pointless shit that won't matter once winter comes.

I think one of the only Starks that won't be harmed is Rickon. That kid is clearly magic (and his sister. Forget her name). He has magic dreams and shit. Same with the girl. But she's too into Lannister shit, she'll probably either die or be an opportunistic traitor. There was a lot of emphasis on legacy and family history and all that when he was talking to her. Maybe she'll be brainwashed and treat him like a father figure in time, or just act like she is so she can get a sword in him.
I also don't consider John Snow to be a Stark, because he is a Snow. So I'm not including him in the "I think all the Starks are basically boned" idea. He's got some wildling in him, so he'll probably try to get in with them to get back to his people. maybe he'll outright join them. Nothing has happened to give me a clear way to speculate, really. Magic or not - I'm applying the idea that these people are humans, and have the human desire to survive through opportunistic lying. Much like everyone who gained power in medieval Europe.

I think Sansa (or whatever) will get pregnant with the cunty-kings kid. But I have a feeling that makes her immediately doomed because the people will want to gut the Lannister family of Geoffrey's bloodline.

And for the love of God if you're read the books, don't comment on predictions. Right or wrong, because either way you're giving a definite answer. Speculation is the fun part.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #89
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

The changes from the books are, in my opinion, done really damn well. Especially for Dany because her story sucks big time in the second book and really needed some sprucing up. I'd rather not be bored watching the show just so some book readers can be happy that it stays truer to the source, and I AM a book reader. The books are mostly old, they're great, I enjoy them, and I enjoy the hell out this show, possibly be even more so far. I look for places on other forums to discuss the show, and they're filled with the scum of the internet.

Anyways, I won't mention the books anymore, I'm fine with that. This episode was dope, can't wait to see the House of the Undying, and many more things coming. Sad that it's almost over, and at the same time excited as hell for next season, depsite how far away it is.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #90
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Can we please discuss the series and not the books? This thread had become completely useless to me because every sentence is redacted in some way, yet STILL manages to spoil plot lines.
I really think that Professor S is too worried about things that don't in fact bother him. Talking about the series is almost impossible without talking about the books. People will always have questions like who is that person, how was it in the book, etc.

So Professor S, all things considered, there is nothing wrong with talking about the books in this thread. At least not until you can define how it bothers you so much.