Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
The reason we in Canada probably have/need a smaller corporate tax rate (I'm currently trying to find the rate itself) is because we have 1/10th the population, therefore we have (let's assume) 1/10th the corporations. Being that corporations do indeed actually create jobs with some form of wealth in a centralized location (A city, opposed to rural people with rural jobs), we want to entice more of them to come here. The way you do that is to lower taxes. And I can see them lowering it a little more in Canada, with the talk of raising American corprorate tax rates, because then some corporations will surely (I assume is the goal) come north and set up here, and hire Canadians.
So why does it make sense for Canada to lower taxes to attract jobs, but when American companies complain about high corporate taxes it's:

Quote:
And on the other hand, the business owners getting all "well maybe I'll just close my business down and then fire 150 people. Let's see what that does." Very fucking mature, rich Dempublicrats. "If you raise my taxes, I'll quit!".

That is the new American way. Fuck all that "American ingenuity and stick-to-it-ivness". Now it's good 'ol fashioned "American taking your ball and going home."
Logically, it makes sense for Canada to have low taxes to attract businesses. Logically, it makes sense for America to lower taxes to attract businesses. I fail to see why what is good for the goose fails to be good for the gander.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
So why does it make sense for Canada to lower taxes to attract jobs, but when American companies complain about high corporate taxes it's:

Like I said, when I'm joking you take me far too seriously, and when I'm not joking you don't take me seriously at all.

That whole "This is the new american way" thing was a joke. Stop focusing on that. I just found it disgusting that a small few American business owners have that mentality because it's such a childish way of thinking. Obviously I don't think every business owner is like that, nor that most people think that way. I'm not dumb, just bored.

Quote:
Logically, it makes sense for Canada to have low taxes to attract businesses. Logically, it makes sense for America to lower taxes to attract businesses. I fail to see why what is good for the goose fails to be good for the gander.

I never said it didn't make sense for the US to have low taxes to attract jobs. That sort of speaks for itself. Low taxes attract whatever is taxed low. You brought up Canada having lower corporate taxes in comparison, so I was just stating my opinion on why I think Canadian corporate taxes are lower than the US'.
No matter what your tax is, it makes sense for ours to be lower in order to attract your jobs, because your jobs will not only employ our people, but they will also bring some of yours. I'm not saying that's not a schemey way of doing things; essentially trying to coax people over the border with high-paying jobs and international connections - but it just makes sense.
Even if your country removed all corporate tax, my country would probably start some rebate campaign for American business owners to bring their companies north. That was a joke. Although it probably would happen if that impossible scenario ever existed.

Besides, what you were trying to bring up doesn't even really make sense to me right now.
American business owners are complaining that Americans want to raise taxes on American businesses, and you're asking why I think it makes sense for Canada to lower corporate tax to steal away the pissed-off business owners [the ones who'd would fire 150 American jobs per company]? I don't understand what you were trying to probe me on, in your post. Honestly, I don't.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

I'm a little confused as to where this is going, but the point that Canada has lower corporate tax rates than America (did not fact check that) to attract jobs analogy holds true for any country. Having a lower tax rate than a neighbor will always be looked at as a plus when businesses evaluate where to hire and build. There are other factors though as well, of course. The American dollar is the reserve currency of the world, even more so now after the financial collapse. That, is perhaps the single biggest advantage to doing business in the American dollar.

I would also say, perhaps somewhat provactively, that Canada is able to have a lower corproate tax rate because you have a lower defense budget and needs than we do (and in turn need to levy less revenue). You're probably going to say being our neighbor has its downsides, many of which I would agree with, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
You're probably going to say being our neighbor has its downsides, many of which I would agree with, but the pros far outweigh the cons.
I'm not arguing otherwise. In fact I pretty much agree 100%. Nothing that makes me think "Man, fuck those guys.", just as I'd think there's nothing about being South of Canada that makes Americans say "Man, Fuck those guys." There aren't many downsides other than cultural influence (But even then, who the fuck cares). But we even have laws to counteract American influence. (CanCon for example. Radio stations have to dedicate at least 30% of it's music to Canadian Musicians in everything they play.)

Don't get me wrong, I've never said I've had any qualms with living North of the US, nor am I really negative to the country itself, and rather the corruption that resides within it. But again, to be fair - I don't like corruption in general. it's not like when it happens in Canada I turn a blind eye to how much it disgusts me that people are capable of being so greedy; but we're just overflowing with your news channels. And it's much, much easier to critique another country than your own. ;P I'm well aware that my country is practically equally as bureaucratic and corrupt. Our leaders in Canada love their committees and paperwork.

Plus Your military means I don't need a big one. I enjoy that. It means we can spend our money on things like healthcare, and poor people.

But this has gotten way, way off-topic. My bad.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #21
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

So far there have been 2 over doses, which have resulted in 1 fatality at the Vancouver site. There was another confrontation where firemen went to put out an out-of-control barrel fire they were using for warmth, and were attacked. The police stepped in and 2 officers had to be taken to hospital with bite wounds.

I SHOOT HEROIN, BITE POLICE OFFICERS AND ATTACK FIREMEN, I AM THE 99%.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

This image should find a happy home here:

Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Anyone paying attention to the crack-down against democracy going on today?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
Anyone paying attention to the crack-down against democracy going on today?
I empathize with many of the protesters, but squatting on public land does not equal democracy. To be honest, these people have made their point, but their continued nonsense is just another symptom of what they claim they rail against. Protesting is basically complaining on a large public scale. If you complain, you expect someone else to fix something for you, giving that entity more power to abuse you with their "altruistic" solutions.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Not that I'm really siding with the idiot-protesters, but how does one "Squat on public land"? It's public. They are the public. Technically they have every right to be in that public park.

The protesters blocking the roads and bridges and shit like that should smarten the fuck up, however. It's not a protest against infrastructure.

I still think they should smarten up, read some books, and propose some legitimate fucking ideas rather than saying "Lol, uhhh, change stuff in favour for us or we'll stay here in the cold weather."

Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #26
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I still see this as the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not saying today. Or tomorrow. Or next week. But the energy is just electric right now. I honestly do not see the protesting going away.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #27
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Not that I'm really siding with the idiot-protesters, but how does one "Squat on public land"? It's public. They are the public. Technically they have every right to be in that public park.
They absolutely have a right to be in that park, as long as they follow rules and laws regarding its use, and they are NOT. Homeless people are not allowed to squat and public land, so why should we let another bum do the same thing because they happen to have an iPhone and simplistic message?

Just because land is public doesn't mean that I get to do whatever the fuck I want with it. In most cases these parks have hours of operation, and laws regarding their use, in order to protect the public lands for EVERYONE and not just the "99%". These public areas have been defecated on, littered on, and numerous other laws have been broken. So far law enforcement has been LENIENT and allowed these laws to be broken to avoid confrontation. At some point enough is enough.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

I just wanted to add that Zuccotti Park in NYC, where the "Occupy Wall Street" crowd is hanging out, is actually not public land. Brookfield Properties (a private company) owns the park, but has an agreement with the city of New York to operate it as a "privately owned public space."

So, without the evil corporate slobs at Brookfield Properties, there would be nowhere to protest... hmm...

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I just wanted to add that Zuccotti Park in NYC, where the "Occupy Wall Street" crowd is hanging out, is actually not public land. Brookfield Properties (a private company) owns the park, but has an agreement with the city of New York to operate it as a "privately owned public space."
Then they should definitely get the fuck out of there. They're trespassing. Charge 'em all. (That sounds like sarcasm but it's not.)

Quote:
At some point enough is enough.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #30
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Regardless of whether or not anyone is concerned about the classification of the outdoor spaces currently or previously being occupied, I was more concerned with the violent dispersing of protesters rather than the fact that they were being dispersed. (And I was also perturbed by the news that NYC police would deny access to an area of the city unless you had corporate documentation proving that you work on wall street.)

Acts like taking billy clubs to the stomachs of Berkley students or indiscriminately pepper spraying crowds in Seattle show that the police is more about protecting corporate interests than protecting the first amendment rights of the citizens they're supposedly sworn to protect.

I view this movement as a positive thing. People like to complain that they don't have a concise objective, but reaching consensus among a giant and diverse group of people is never going to be a simple task. The movement is the first step in a process that would hopefully lead to some kind of change. The movement can't create a new system for society or anything, but at least people are voicing the fact that they're not happy. And if nobody stands up and does this, the conversation in the political realm will never change.

However, violently breaking up demonstrations is only going to cause things to escalate in a very negative way.