Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

DC Movie News (Aquaman/Flash)
Old 07-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default DC Movie News (Aquaman/Flash)

Instead of making separate threads just gonna put it here.

First up is news I'm semi-happy/semi-sad for.

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter has updates on the multitude of DC Comics properties in various stages of development in Hollywood. The big news for comic fans is the increased involvement of three very well known names: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, and Marv Wolfman.

We heard about this relationship last fall, but now the nebulous "roles" are starting to take form. Geoff Johns, current writer of The Flash: Rebirth has written a treatment for a live action Flash movie, and has been named a Producer on it as well. Dan Mazeau, also currently working on a Johnny Quest movie, will be writing the script off Johns' treatment.
http://www.newsarama.com/film/070919...lashMovie.html
Flash is for the most part a pretty cool character.
Geoff Johns is on a hot streak as far as writing goes.
However, his so-so work has come from his work on The Flash (Rebirth in particular) in my opinion so kind of... lukewarm to it.

Quote:
Another bit of new information revealed in the THR DC Comics article we mentioned earlier tonight is that Warner Bros is currently seeking pitches from screenwriters on big screen adaptations of Adam Strange and Aquaman. Apparently
Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way production company is producing the Aquaman film (among their 20-30 other projects in development).
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/19/...quaman-movies/

Aquaman on the other side is an interesting project in so much that almost everyone thinks the character is a joke, and I can hardly think of many movies that took place pre-dominantly underwater and was successful, and before someone asks... he can do more than talk to fish.

And some general news to wrap it up.

Quote:
DC and Warners have several projects in the works currently. The Losers has a full cast, Jonah Hex is filming, and Green Lantern recently found its star with Ryan Reynolds, and projects featuring Bizarro Superman, a second John Constantine movie, two Green Arrow films (one being the Green Arrow in prison with a bevy of villains film, Supermax, one being an origin flick), Adam Strange, Aquaman, and Shazam are all in the works, though some are barely past the suggestion and pitching phase.
I guess DC is gonna try and be like Marvel and throw any and everything to the wall.

I hope they also take a cue and have a Justice League movie somewhere down the line.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: DC Movie News (Aquaman/Flash)
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: DC Movie News (Aquaman/Flash)

A lot of these characters have campy qualities that would suck (imo) on the big screen. I don't want more Fantastic Four films but that's how I foresee Aquaman.

Having said that, Jonah Hex is undoubtedly one of the coolest character in the DC Universe and the movie already looks like it will be set up to disappoint. It's sad too because his character would be easy to make a sweet film.

I say put the super hero movies on hiatus for a couple of years and figure something new out.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Justin Marks is the writer of Supermax...and upcoming movies including Shadow of the Colossus, Suicide Squad, Grayskull, Voltron, and Hack/Slash.

This is the same guy who wrote the screenplay for Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. There are a hell of a lot of decent franchises being turned into shitty movies in the near future.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I don't understand the motivation to make these films. Okay I do, easy money from the 9-14 age group. But that means the movies are going to suck. You have to respect Batman and Superman and Spiderman for being big enough to get proper movie attention. Who knows how Iron Man turned out so good. It seems like once you get past the major major franchise characters everything becomes incredibly hit or miss.

Like I said, put this shit on hiatus for a while. Make a cool R-rated Jonah Hex film though.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Who knows how Iron Man turned out so good.
Can thank Jon Favreau for that.

Quote:
In April 2006, Jon Favreau was hired as the film's director, with Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway writing the script. Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby worked separately, with Favreau compiling both team's scripts, and the script received a polish by John August. Comic book staff Mark Millar, Brian Michael Bendis, Joe Quesada, Tom Brevoort, Axel Alonso, and Ralph Macchio were also summoned by Favreau to give advice on the script.
He basically made sure it was a good script.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I think some lesser known heroes would work for better movies because they are different from the big ones.

I mean not all comic book origins are doom and gloom. No dying planets, no dead parents, no dead uncle. There are some who become heroes without the necessity of death behind it.

Also, they would give way to different environments, the problem is getting it right and not just making a cheesy movie because comics are for kids.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away