Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Green Lantern
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #31
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Green Lantern

I'm actually excited now - this is looking really good.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Looks pretty awesome. I'm almost certain, however, that it will bomb financially. I don't think Green Lantern is well known enough, the concept simple enough, or the real trailer awesome enough that the general public will have much interest in (especially compared to the slew of Marvel movies also coming out this year).

The best chance this movie has, I think, is for it to be so awesome that word of mouth carries it similar to how Batman Begins performed in 2005. Besides that, I would say the movie will be lucky to hit $100 million.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

http://bit.ly/iS0YAc

3rd and final trailer, looks awesome

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #34
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I'm sure fanboys will dig this like crazy, but I honestly feel it won't appeal to a mass audience. The trailers are too busy and I think the movie is reaching too far for an origin story. All we need right now is "fighter jet pilot turns space cop" and it would be awesome. It can get epic for the second movie.

I'm sure I will enjoy it. I'm sure GL fans will eat it up. I just can't see this becoming a hit. I just wish DC could do with their properties other than Batman what Marvel has been doing with theirs.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

'Green Lantern' To Fulfill America's Wish To See Lantern-Based Characters On Big Screen

And so far it's getting pretty bad reviews. I would say I'm surprised but sadly that's par for the course for DC movies than aren't Superman or Batman.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #36
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I'm fairly certain this movie will suck ass, and not because of Ryan Reynolds, but because of CGI overkill and bad writing/directing.

Thor pushed my patience but won with a good lead actor and just falling back on sheer introspective campyness.

In other words, if I see this...I expect the worst.

Also, I have been Ryan Reynolds personal cheerleader for the past like 19 years. Despite how shitty Deadpool was in Wolverine, and despite how shitty this movie is going to be, I think Reynolds is a great actor and has potential. He seems like a serious comic fan, and I bet his performance is okay in this film and the beef is with other things. Reynolds = a good guy. I enjoyed Buried a lot.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #37
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I enjoyed Green Lantern. It isn't the best comic book movie I've ever seen, but its far from the worst as well.

-I thought all the leads did a pretty decent job with their character. Sure, some will say that Hal wasn't completely Hal and Sinestro gets about as much screen-time as an extended cameo, but I thought all the characters were consistent in their roles.
-The time on Oa/constructs, and really this is the reason I just want it to do well enough for a sequel. I expected it would be light on both since it is an origin tale, but it showed a lot of promises and I thought some creative constructs in the movie.
-The costume. Aside from the mask. I actually thought it was pretty sweet and different. I liked how it glowed differently depending on his power output.
-The Corps, granted, we only saw snapshots of a few of the members, but again something I expect them to expand in a possible sequel
-Amanda Waller, I enjoy the character. While she didn't come off as evil/conning as her JLU counterpart, I do hope she becomes the DC equivalent of Nick Fury in these movies.

Now there was a ton wrong with the movie too
-The plotting/pacing was all over the place. I thought the scene with Hal's family was almost entirely pointless since they are never really seen again. I still don't know how he found Hector in the lab. When he went to Oa to beg the Guardians for help, but decided to do it on his own anyhow.
-The mask still needs some work
-A lot of the action scenes just seemed to be cut short.
-The annoying best friend
-For a world/universe that is so rich and different than most other comics, it was pretty much ur standard run of the mill origin tale.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away