Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread
Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread

Not a fan of the title, but working on it.

This is my latest idea for a pet project. With the recent release of Planet Hulk and Justice League: CoTE, I thought it was time to look back at the progress that the comic book animated movie has made.

The genre is a bit fresher than the whole live-action superhero movie genre, I may be mistaken, but its less than 20 years old, and really has only picked up steam in recent memories. With that said, this is the current list of movies I have.

Quote:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (1998)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
The Batman vs. Dracula (2005)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (February 6, 2006)
Ultimate Avengers (February 21, 2006)
Superman: Brainiac Attacks (June 20, 2006)
Ultimate Avengers 2 (August 8, 2006)
The Invincible Iron Man (September 15, 2006)
Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (September 15, 2006)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (March 17, 2007)
Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme (August 14, 2007)
Superman: Doomsday (September 18, 2007)
Justice League: The New Frontier (February 26, 2008)
Batman: Gotham Knight (July 8, 2008)
Next Avengers (September 2, 2008)
Hulk Vs (January 27, 2009)
Wonder Woman (March 3, 2009)
Green Lantern: First Flight (July 28, 2009)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (September 29, 2009)
Planet Hulk (February 2, 2010)
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (February 23, 2010)
Currently, the plan is to do them once a week leading into the eventual release of Batman: Under the Red Hood.

I've been having troubles coming up with a proper format for this as I am not a reviewer and never intend to be, but you can expect to see what I like and dislike about any movie.

Also, it will be done chronologically. Which means our first movie is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wv2FitL0Aw
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread
Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
incredibledave
Viscount

Now Playing:
Default Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread

Neat idea

Looks like I'll be having a few trips to the video store (dont like watching movies on youtube)

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Bump!

Looks like this week shall be....

Can our zany hero save his city from the evil PHANTASM?!?!? Or will he be to focused on love?

Join us this week to find out!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

So uh... Where are the marvel animated list? EDIT: NVM didn't realize it was just movies for a minute. Marvel is pretty lacking in good animated movies.

Also I will say, despise dc as I might, their animated stuff is generally pretty good. Especially some of the batman stuff.

Also Dave: Couldn't you make a trip to the bt store? *HINT* *HINT*

Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Now that someone has bumped I kind of feel compelled to write my thoughts, but been having trouble coming up with a proper format so bear with me if this keeps changing.

Mask of the Phantasm

Quote:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (also known as Batman: The Animated Movie) is a 1993 animated superhero film based on the fictional DC Comics character Batman. Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm directed the film, which stars Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker, as well as Dana Delany, Hart Bochner, Abe Vigoda, and Stacy Keach. The film's storyline introduces Andrea Beaumont, an old love interest of Bruce Wayne, who returns to Gotham City, restarting their romance. At the same time, a mysterious killer begins systematically eliminating Gotham's crime bosses, and due to the person's dark appearance, he is mistaken for Batman. Now on the run, Batman must apprehend the killer and deal with the romance between himself and Andrea.
There's the background.

The Movie
This movie relies heavily on flashbacks to tell the compelling story of how Bruce Wayne finally took up the mantle of Batman. This movie serves as both an origin to the Batman of TAS fame and as a love story. Both stories are interconnected and work so well, it truly is magic on the screen.

Where this movie works best for me is that it shows that Bruce had the chance for happiness even after his parents' death, but as expected, the criminal world once again struck taking all that he held dear.

On the same hand, other than a climax appearance by the Joker, the story also doesn't really focus on villains as there are an assortment of mobsters being picked off, but this is really Bruce/Andrea's story.

Memorable Moments

This movie is clocked full of memorable moments, but the one that defines the movie for me at least, is the first time that Bruce dons the cape and cowl, just the way it is shot and Alfred's reaction are excellent.

Recommendation
Buy it.
If you haven't seen this movie, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It is hands down the best Batman movie animated or live action wise.

Quote:

Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

I disagree. Sub Zero was much better.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
I disagree. Sub Zero was much better.
I'm gonna disagree and say that Mask is much better.

The debate really comes down to Mask and Return of the Joker.

And crap, forgot, I needed to add Turtles Forever!

Quote:

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Uhm no, it really comes down to Sub Zero and Return of the Joker. Whatever. Honestly Mask was pretty boring.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

And here comes the end of week 2

Batman/Mr. Freeze: Subzero

Quote:
Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero is a direct-to-video animated feature film based on Batman: The Animated Series and is a stand-alone sequel to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It won the Annie Award for Best Home Video Animation.

It was delayed for a time, due to the critical disaster of Batman & Robin, a live-action Batman film also featuring Mr. Freeze as the primary antagonist. The movie was both a critical and commercial success.
The Movie
Mr. Freeze is one of the most compelling and unique characters during the entire stint of B: TAS, and one of the main reasons was that Timm and Co never used him useless necessary. This marks, his 3rd appearance in the series, and his character starts to turn a bit.

In Heart of Ice, and his second appearance, Mr. Freeze is never really evil, he has some justifications in his actions. In this movie, I mean I know his wife is suffering, but his actions are pretty evil and selfish so there's no way around it.

And Mr. Freeze's attempt to help his wife drives the extent of the movie, which works, but on the same hand, it forces like half the movie to be climax.

And that's what makes it a bit off to me, I think that the Freeze character is watered down just a bit, and his next appearance in TNBA is iffy.

Memorable Moment
Its tough to really pick a stand-out moment for the movie, it was a good movie, just nothing great.

Though guess would lean towards discovering the song that Batgirl's' roommate was listening to when she got called, is the same song Batman sings in This Little Piggy.

Recommendation
Check the movie out. Especially if you can find the double pack with Mask. Also when you consider that this was a companion to Batman and Robin, well yeah one turned out well, the other we avoid talking about.

Quote:

Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

I have to agree with Earl on this one, Mask is a much better movie then Sub-Zero.

Sub-Zero just seemed like your standard action movie or a 2 part episode, good but nothing special

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Guess should update this thread a bit

First order of business, Batman: Return of the Joker is THIS week's movie.

Due to some suggestions, I decided to add Superman/Batman: World's Finest last week, never made it into the thread.

I'm sorry... with that said.

The Batman/Superman Movie: World's Finest

The first team-up between the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight from the TAS episodes.

The "movie" consists of 3 episodes of the Superman: TAS and one of the reasons was reluctant to include it on my list.

With that said, it does work pretty well on its own. Most people know who the major players are, but as a recap, Superman and Batman are our heroes and Luthor and The Joker are our villains,

Their dynamic is fine, but I think the chemistry/interactions between Harley and Mercy is much better. Though the Joker/Luthor relations shows up again in Justice League.

The threat is well all over the place as it pretty much acts like 3 mini stories connected.

The short and simple of it really is if you own Superman: TAS check it out, but wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
magus113
HOW DAAAAARE YOUUUU

Now Playing: Borderlands 2, DKCR3D, TLoU: Remastered

Definitely on the Mask is better side. I have a lot of good memories. I even had the comic book the VHS came with back in the day.

Recently watched it again sometime last year. Still great.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4790-6369

Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Gosh, I've been slacking so much with this thread.

Just a few updates, one is I realize I MUST do a Return of the Joker post, as apparently, I didn't do one when I watched it for my Batman Beyond thread either, and that's just wrong since it is such an awesome movie so I will get on that.

Second, is this week's movie was Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman so let's get to that

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman stands as the final film in the TAS universe to star Batman and the last official product related to BTAS/TNBA. (Justice League was still going on at the time, but that isn't all-Batman focused)

With that said, as the title suggests, the movie revolves around the mysterious new Bat-figure, the Batwoman.

There are several suspects and hints that points towards the identity of the Batwoman. And to me this is the film's biggest fault as the mystery is pretty much ruined by the reveal, which just made all the double-guessing pointless in the end.

I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but if you have, you know what I mean.

Now the Batwoman is a good guy so this movie also needs some villains, and the quality of the villains isn't the best, but it isn't terrible. You have Rupert Thorne, who looked to have slimmed down. The Penguin, who is okay, but never was a huge fan of him after his turn to being more behind the scenes, and later on Bane.

The fights weren't really that great. The plot is iffy. The villains are decent.

All in all, my recommendation is to PASS.

On the other hand, the DVD comes with Chase Me

Instead of reviewing it or offering a PAss/See/Buy, I'll just show you the Youtube. Its only 6 minutes long. And SO worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19qdCEPFz4w

Quote:

Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Next movie.

Closer to the comics than the live action movies. Same character designer as the Spectacular Spider-man

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

This was a somewhat exciting movie for me, as it is the first movie on the list that is/was completely new to me. Also, I don't have much of a history with Hellboy outside of the two mainstream movies. With that said,

Hellboy: Sword of Storms
Does anyone else, think this sounds like a subtitle to a Zelda game?

I wasn't clear on it from the movie or dialogue, but not sure if this is a sequel to the movie or not, but it does assume some familiarity with the characters so there's that.

Now even though the plot is explained in some heavy expository scenes, I'm not 100% sure how Hellboy was teleported to a mystical realm. But in this realm are some really freaky creatures, and Hellboy ends up fighting them all.

I wasn't too thrilled with most of the action scenes, but there was plenty enough that you may have better luck than I did.

Honestly, I watched this 3 days ago, and the fact that I'm having trouble remembering anything of note is never a good thing IMO.

So instead of torturing you with made up details, I shall recommend a Pass, it isn't bad, just not memorable.

This week's movie: Ultimate Avengers.

Quote: