Re: Anime Thread for discussing/recommending anime and stuff
Old 04-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #106
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Anime Thread for discussing/recommending anime and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
You might want to watch Deathnote if you haven’t. I also really liked ERASED (although the live action version is better IMO)
Ah, you know, I kind of poo poo'd on Death Note way back in the day just because it was popular among the edgy, goth crowd and that put me off, but yeah probably I'd like it well enough and it does look like a good length.

I've never heard of Erased, but a 12 episode series sounds real nice.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 04-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #107
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for, like, shorter and self-contained anime? Thinking like, 52 episodes or shorter series (shorter is better) that tell a full story beginning to end. Or something like Gundam where, yeah, there's tons of it but its all in separate series that can be enjoyed on their own merits.

Basically, looking for stuff that is not Naruto or One Piece or Dragon Ball that go on forever (or that has separate series, but they continue off each other so its really all or nothing).

I've been sort of getting back into anime to an extent, but mostly watching those that I enjoyed "back in the day", but haven't revisited in a long time (lots of Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, currently watching .hack//SIGN, stuff like that). Anything newer than, like, 2005 (as in, wasn't shown on Toonami or Adult Swim until after 2005) is pretty alien to me.
I think around 2008 is probably the last time I really followed anime.

I did see one recently I thought was quite good though called Odd Taxi. Only 13 episodes. It's a crime thriller but with cute anthropomorphic animals. Also refreshing to watch an anime with characters in their 30s and 40s.

Last edited by Teuthida : 04-26-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #108
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
I think around 2008 is probably the last time I really followed anime.

I did see one recently I thought was quite good though called Odd Taxi. Only 13 episodes. It's a crime thriller but with cute anthropomorphic animals. Also refreshing to watch an anime with characters in their 30s and 40s.
That does look interesting. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #109
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for, like, shorter and self-contained anime? Thinking like, 52 episodes or shorter series (shorter is better) that tell a full story beginning to end. Or something like Gundam where, yeah, there's tons of it but its all in separate series that can be enjoyed on their own merits.

Basically, looking for stuff that is not Naruto or One Piece or Dragon Ball that go on forever (or that has separate series, but they continue off each other so its really all or nothing).

I've been sort of getting back into anime to an extent, but mostly watching those that I enjoyed "back in the day", but haven't revisited in a long time (lots of Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, currently watching .hack//SIGN, stuff like that). Anything newer than, like, 2005 (as in, wasn't shown on Toonami or Adult Swim until after 2005) is pretty alien to me.
ping pong the animation. it’s an unusual art style for an anime. i think it’s polarizing. i personally liked it a lot but some people prefer more generic anime art style. anyway, it’s very good and about 10-12 episodes long

Old 10-11-2022, 10:01 PM   #110
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I've never heard of it. I'll check it out!

Old 11-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #111
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Up until recently I'd mostly been watching Gundam with a smattering of some other stuff in between. Recently, though, my wife and I picked out four shows to watch in a "block" and sort of recreate an old school, weekday Toonami experience, lol. Right now what we've got going is:

Gundam Seed
Excel Saga
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Nier: Automata

Gundam Seed is just me continuing to watch Gundam. My wife and I really enjoyed the recent Witch from Mercury show. We want back and watched Turn A Gundam (my favorite; second time for me but first for my wife) and enjoyed that too, so figured we'd move forward. I started watching Seed when it came out on Toonami nearly 20 years ago, but that's about when I started adulting and got pulled away from Toonami. We're enjoying it so far but it definitely feels more like a generic shounen anime compared to Turn A (the A stands for Art, lol).

I was a fan of Excel Saga back in the day. One of the few anime I experienced outside of Toonami. It popped back in my brain and I was wanting to revisit but also kind of concerned I would find it more cringy than funny now. Fortunately, my wife and I are both enjoying it and its absurdist humor.

I first heard of Utena recently in reference to the aforementioned Gundam Witch from Mercury which took a lot of inspiration from Utena. Everyone who was talking about spoke very highly of it and, again, my wife and I really enjoyed WfM so we thought to check this out. Its really hitting for me so far. I'm maybe 60% through so I'm hoping the back half continues as strong, but if it does this might be one of my favorites. A little upthread (like a year ago, lol) I was asking for some recommendations and this show fits right into what I was hoping to find.

Nier: Automata is based off of the game and I really liked the game so we watched the anime. We actually finished it (or, finished the first season or whatever) our last "block". I thought it was a great adaptation (so far; just got to ending A of the game) and look forward to more.

We need to pick a new show to add to our block. I found a large list of "best anime" on reddit that was compiled from like 50 other "best of" lists from different sources and that seems good. The top ones are ones I've seen that are really good (like Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion; Utena is at 4!). And most of the stuff seems like stuff I'm looking for. Contained anime that aim a little higher than, like, DBZ or Naruto or something. Gurren Lagan is the highest I haven't seen so that'll probably be our next pick.