Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

State of the Union Address
Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default State of the Union Address

Quote:
President Barack Obama will toe a fine fiscal line in his State of the Union address Tuesday, proposing new infrastructure and education spending to spur job growth – along with enough spending cuts and tax reform measures to blunt criticism that he’s ignoring the deficit.

Congressional Republicans aren’t waiting to see the details, arguing that any “investments” at a time of record-breaking deficits are simply code language for a second economic stimulus package, which they have cast as a fiscal disaster that worsened the $14 trillion national debt.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1BzMJQ46H

This will be very interesting. When I first heard that healthcare and economic policy were going to be the main topics of Pres. Obama's speech, my first reaction as a fiscal conservative was: "They better dust off Paul Ryan for the response."

And wouldn't you know it...

Quote:
In the Republican response to Obama’s speech, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin will speak from the Budget Committee offices in an attempt to symbolize the GOP’s pledge to cut spending, according to GOP sources.
It will be interesting to see how Pres. Obama presents his talking points knowing Rep. Ryan is waiting to answer him. Paul Ryan is without question the most knowledgeable and substantive Republican when it comes to fiscal policy. After Ryan's performance in the healthcare summit, Pres. Obama will have to word his speech carefully.

Re: State of the Union Address
Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: State of the Union Address

I thought it was pretty good. Light on specifics, but SOTU speeches aren't about that. I'm in "let's wait and see" mode. Maybe he's come to Jesus, like Clinton did.

But the proof is in the pudding. Actions speak far louder than words with this president.

One thing: Not one more dime should be spent on education. We already spend the 2nd most per capita of any nation in the world with diminishing results. Education needs drastic overhaul, not more money thrown at it.

On a side note: Looking at the themes of his speech...

- Cutting spending in some areas
- Increasing "investments" in others
- Education reform
- Entitlement reform
- Promoting American military success
- Extending tax cuts

Its offical... he has morphed into George W. Bush. LOL!

Re: State of the Union Address
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
Default Re: State of the Union Address

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/26/133211...ds?sc=fb&cc=fp

This is hilarious. I can't help but feel like NPR got trolled. After all of that what we take away is the world "salmon."

I thought it was a pretty good, overall. I liked the bits on alternative energy and education. I'm sure my parents (both teachers) were happy about some of those lines about educators. I don't know, the way polls are heading, it's looking like it'll be very hard to stop Obama in 2012.