Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Re: House Passes Healthcare Bill
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: House Passes Healthcare Bill

Thanks for the info Bond.

That will be very interesting. The problem now, is that if someone doesn't have insurance, and goes to the ER.. and can't afford to pay their bill... then society as a whole here has to pay for that person. Since the single person without insurance is burdoning the rest of society by not having insurance, is it wrong for there to be a penalty given by society for this action?

Guess we'll find out.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
I also find it silly that not having health care is grounds to fine someone $695.
The silliest part is the thinking that a $695 fine will convince someone to get a $6,000 healthcare plan when they can just wait until they get sick and no one can turn them down.

But then again, Mass. kind of operates the same way and they have a very low uninsured rate, so it may work in reducing the percentage of uninsured, but to me the math doesn't work out.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
That will be very interesting. The problem now, is that if someone doesn't have insurance, and goes to the ER.. and can't afford to pay their bill... then society as a whole here has to pay for that person. Since the single person without insurance is burdoning the rest of society by not having insurance, is it wrong for there to be a penalty given by society for this action?
Maybe I'm being jaded because I'm Canadian, and you know - nice, ( ) but thats how I believe it should have been going for you guys the whole time.

Any emergency surgery, or needed procedure should be covered by the government/taxes if the person can't pay for it themselves. Every aesthetic procedure is covered by the person who wants it.

What's so bad about helping those who need the help? If my taxes help some little 5 year old with a poor family get heart surgery so he can see his 6th birthday, I have no problem with that. If my tax money also goes to help some college kid who needs life-saving surgery, I still have no problem with that.

I have trouble actually figuring out why people have a problem with this kind of healthcare. Maybe it's because I already have this healthcare.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Last edited by Typhoid : 03-23-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #19
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

In response to Typhnoid:

I concur. I really don't understand this "what about me?" mentality that has people so against paying taxes for social programs and healthcare. I like my tax dollars making people's lives better. That's supposed to be what they're for. If everyone is only concerned with personal gain, it's a lot more difficult to progress as a society. Why would people argue about tax dollars helping someone get surgery but not argue with tax dollars being spent on illegal wars?

Anyways, this may be financially burdening, especially in the short term, but feel good that the quality of living in your country will be increasing.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
Why would people argue about tax dollars helping someone get surgery but not argue with tax dollars being spent on illegal wars?
Trust me, there was an arguement.. down the line anyway. It just wasn't as violent of an arguement as it is now.

(You know... no democrats were yelling out "You lie" or "(Baby) Killer" to republicans over it, or giving a potentially dangerous war protester who breaks into congress a standing ovation..)

What bothers me more, is how do we get away with starting two wars without even questioning how they will be paid for.. but when we're making a change that's supposed to help people, we set this unrealistic expectation that the program shouldn't use a single dime of tax dollars, and that it shouldn't add a dime to the deficit.

Last edited by TheGame : 03-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
In response to Typhnoid:

I concur. I really don't understand this "what about me?" mentality that has people so against paying taxes for social programs and healthcare.
1) Immense waste
2) Poor service
3) Lack of innovation (Canadian health care depends greatly on investment by for-profit companies to create the newest and most effective drugs)*
4) Can't pay for it, and so it will inevitably be insolvent, and when it does collapse more people will suffer because they've been trained to suckle at the government's teat.

Quote:
I like my tax dollars making people's lives better.
"Better" is a relative opinion. As for progress, you can thank self-interest for about 90% of societal progress, especially in health care. The latest and greatest equipment and treatments are created by medical companies that operate for a profit. The profit motive has done more to advance civilization than altruism ever could. In the end, we're all in it for ourselves, even if its just to make us feel better.

Emotions are informative. If you gave to charity (time or money) and didn't feel good about it, how would you know you were doing any good? If you felt nothing you would likely stop your activity because there would be nothing to let you know what you were doing achieved anything. In the end, we all GIVE because it makes US feel good, and that is not a bad thing. Motivation is a pointless argument. The results are all that matters, and profit motive has provided us with the greatest leaps known to man, especially in the 20th century concerning communications and again, health care.

Quote:
Why would people argue about tax dollars helping someone get surgery but not argue with tax dollars being spent on illegal wars?
Legality of the wars aside, currently military spending as a percentage of GDP are at historical lows. This argument is a red herring.

Quote:
Anyways, this may be financially burdening, especially in the short term, but feel good that the quality of living in your country will be increasing.
Question: If 80% of the country that has health care insurance will likely be asked to either a) lower their health care insurance to fall below the "Cadillac" threshold, b) pay the excise tax if their company elects to not to lower their plans, c) pay considerably more in taxes mandated by a "future congress" (its in the bill) how is this improving the quality of living in America?

Lowering everyone to the same level does not improve society. Lifting those in need does.

FYI - My company already announced its downgrading our health care plan. I now get less care thanks to this bill. My life has improved so much! Thanks Pres. Obama!

But the largest conceit out of all of these arguments are that they inherently deny that there are alternative plans or ideas. No one is saying that reform should not happen. NO ONE. Its an argument about what type of reform that is needed. For an example of an alternative plan, see Paul Ryan's Roadmap: http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/

I don't necessarily endorse the plan, as all I know are the Republican talking points on it, but it certainly sounds better than this monstrosity we have now.

The problem is that leftists deny that reform that is not centralized in the government is reform. Apparently without government control, nothing good can happen, and to me that is simply a sad state of affairs. It is the definition of "nanny state" thinking.

*The only good part about this bill is that it does virtually nothing to cut costs, so therefore innovation in drugs shouldn't be affected. The bad part is it does nothing to cut costs, and in fact inherently protects profits and reducing competition, which is unhealthy regardless.

Last edited by Professor S : 03-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #22
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Lowering everyone to the same level does not improve society. Lifting those in need does.

I assume that's what the excess tax would go towards, as it does in Canada.
The money has to come from somewhere.
Of course not everyone will be happy with the way it's going if they have to pay a little more, because everyone is thinking "Hey, that's my money" and not "This will help a poor family get health care if they need it."
But the fact remains that health care and access to a doctor if needed without putting your family in financial ruin to save your child/your own life is what everyone deserves. The change had to be made at some point. Better now, than later when more people put themselves into poverty because of injury or general health concerns.

100% off topic:
I'm just going to put this here, it doesn't deserve a thread because I don't know if it's true or not, but if anyone knows, I'd love an answer. It's from a post from another forum a guy in California made:

Quote:
Some fire departments in the states are now charging people to put out their fires.

They run to the site, put out the fire and then hand the owners the bill. Thousands of dollars.

Ahhh, capitalism at its finest.
If that's the case: God Bless America.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I assume that's what the excess tax would go towards, as it does in Canada.
The money has to come from somewhere.
Of course not everyone will be happy with the way it's going if they have to pay a little more, because everyone is thinking "Hey, that's my money" and not "This will help a poor family get health care if they need it."
But the fact remains that health care and access to a doctor if needed without putting your family in financial ruin to save your child/your own life is what everyone deserves. The change had to be made at some point. Better now, than later when more people put themselves into poverty because of injury or general health concerns.
And again, no one is arguing against this idea. It's how we go about doing it that we disagree on.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #24
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
But the largest conceit out of all of these arguments are that they inherently deny that there are alternative plans or ideas. No one is saying that reform should not happen. NO ONE. Its an argument about what type of reform that is needed.
Well now the arguement should be, is the healthcare system as-is better, or the system with the changes that were made.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #25
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Prof: Is your company being forced to change their health care plan or are they choosing to because there is a cheaper option?

Also, i'm not saying individualism is evil but consideration has to be made to those who aren't as well off. Your arguments lack compassion and seem to me like the thoughts of one who believes that bad things only happen because people make bad choices so forget about them.

Were your parents well off? Have you ever flirted with poverty? Have you ever needed a safety net to fall back on? I'm not going to make baseless accusations because frankly, I don't know you very well. But I feel like you must have been raised at least somewhat priveledged from the fact that I've seldom if ever seen you put yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate.

Take a moment and ask yourself if this health care bill might make someone's life better. The life of someone who isn't you.

Last edited by Dylflon : 03-27-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #26
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Prof: Is your company being forced to change their health care plan or are they choosing to because there is a cheaper option?
The supposition in your question is incorrect. They are choosing to reduce my insurance because the option we had has been made too expensive by this bill. Either they reduce all of our coverage, or they ask us to pay more. Either way insurance costs have gone up, not down, and for many people their care will reduce because of the increased cost combined with the lack of options caused by the over regulation of health insurance competition.

Quote:
Also, I'm not saying individualism is evil but consideration has to be made to those who aren't as well off. Your arguments lack compassion and seem to me like the thoughts of one who believes that bad things only happen because people make bad choices so forget about them.
In general, what good has been done by such progressive/compassionate ideals? Compassion destroyed the black family in this country. Compassion has created an entire class of poor that don't value education, possibly the single most important component to achieving success from nothing. The compassionate ideals only enslave people and make them dependent on others, and they improve little.

These type of compassionate laws only serve to continue the poverty cycle, and crush the spirit of those who live under them.

Leftists tend to blame the current state of the world on deregulation, pretending that these companies did whatever the hell they wanted. How so? Health care and financial institutions are the two MOST regulated industries in the country, not the LEAST. Out current situation is a RESULT of compassionate ideals, and the fact that WANTING to do good is not the same as doing good. There are such things as unintended consequences.

This is a exact reason why Milton Friedman argued against regulation in general. Why? Because he viewed keeping industry out of government as an impossibility, an observation I think we can all agree has proven true to this point. Now, if its safe to say that industry will always infiltrate government, doesn't government regulation then create an unfair marketplace? Doesn't it create regulations like the ones that prevent competition over state lines, etc.?

His view was that the only way for there to be a fair economic system was to have one completely devoid of government intervention. I don't completely agree with Uncle Miltie, I am for limited regulation to prevent monopolies (Friendman believed 100% open markets would not sustain monopolies. I disagree), but he definitely has a point.

Quote:
Were your parents well off?
No. My dad was a construction worker, and my mom chose to stay at home and once we grew up she was a social worker. In fact, my did grew up with an outhouse and one communal sink for the entire 9 person family. And by the way, my Mom knows the system from the inside out and she makes me look like Keith Olberman. The system propagates poverty and subservience.

Quote:
Have you ever flirted with poverty?
Yes. My dad didn't work for over a year in the early 90's. I call it the "Tuna Casserole Year". I have talked about this before.

Quote:
Have you ever needed a safety net to fall back on?
I was on unemployment for a brief time, and I have no disagreements with unemployment benefits. They are necessary to keep people going until they can find another job, and reduces their income to make the situation uncomfortable enough to make sure they keep looking for work. Its necessary to keep industry moving, which is in all of our own best interests. Welfare is a different matter, as it is self-sustaining poverty.

On side note, I never felt more worthless in my life than while on unemployment. It is not good for people's psyche to be propped up by the government or anyone else for that matter.

Quote:
I'm not going to make baseless accusations because frankly, I don't know you very well. But I feel like you must have been raised at least somewhat privileged from the fact that I've seldom if ever seen you put yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate.
There will always be someone less fortunate than I. That's why my arguments have stemmed from analysis of the current health care situation, and not from emotions as yours seem to originate.

You have ignored the crux of my arguments in favor to attacking the "self-interest" philosophy I've shared. I'll repeat:

Question: If 80% of the country that has health care insurance will likely be asked to either a) lower their health care insurance to fall below the "Cadillac" threshold, b) pay the excise tax if their company elects to not to lower their plans, c) pay considerably more in taxes mandated by a "future congress" (its in the bill) how is this improving the quality of living in America?

Quote:
Take a moment and ask yourself if this health care bill might make someone's life better. The life of someone who isn't you.
Your question assumes that I don't want to reform health care. Can you point out a single argument I've made that states this? No, you can't because I haven't. Once again, the argument is about HOW to reform, lower costs, and increase service. Here is what I've posted earlier in this thread:

Quote:
But the largest conceit out of all of these arguments are that they inherently deny that there are alternative plans or ideas. No one is saying that reform should not happen. NO ONE. Its an argument about what type of reform that is needed. For an example of an alternative plan, see Paul Ryan's Roadmap: http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/
Why do people assume that reform has to be government control?

Also, I really think your completely misunderstand self-interest, like most Rand critics do. Example: I want to reform health care, lower costs and make sure everyone has coverage. Now, I want to do this because it will lower costs for everyone, including myself in tax dollars, and can increase the risk pool and potential investment in health care allowing for greater competition to increase care and innovation.

Now, if we meet these goals out of self-interest, or out of altruism, what is the difference? The ends are the same, but I think you'll find that self-interest 1) Is a more effective motivator to most people and 2) makes for sustainable advancement, unlike this fiscal nightmare of a bill we have now which will create dependence and by its own structure eventually fail and then destroy all those dependent on it.

Last edited by Professor S : 03-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #27
TheGame
The Greatest One

Quote:
The supposition in your question is incorrect. They are choosing to reduce my insurance because the option we had has been made too expensive by this bill. Either they reduce all of our coverage, or they ask us to pay more. Either way insurance costs have gone up, not down, and for many people their care will reduce because of the increased cost combined with the lack of options caused by the over regulation of health insurance competition.
Guys, please don't buy into this BS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032301714.html

No, your care got screwed because of the status quo system, not because this bill that passed less then a week ago. While you wanted to sit on your thumbs for years and get nothing passed, your healthcare coverage was decaying.

Stories like yours is WHY change was needed, and not a result of the change.

Quote:
I was on unemployment for a brief time, and I have no disagreements with unemployment benefits. They are necessary to keep people going until they can find another job, and reduces their income to make the situation uncomfortable enough to make sure they keep looking for work. Its necessary to keep industry moving, which is in all of our own best interests. Welfare is a different matter, as it is self-sustaining poverty.
I'ma turn into Prof for a minute..

*ahem*

I've never been on unemployment in my life.. sure I've been unenployed many times, but I never took money from the government or from any company, I just know how to save my money in a bank account. I think unemployment just causes people to live beyond their means, if we took it away more people would be saving and jobs would be better because companies would have more money that they'd spend on their employees... or more money to put towards making products cheaper.. and on top of that, banks would have more money, so getting loans would be less of an issue.

Once again the government fails for starting this program, and forcing companies to pay out worthless slackers who probably got fired for a good reason.

*ahem*

Back to TheGame... maybe you don't agree with welfare, but agree with unemployment because you've actually BEEN there? Just a thought... And the vast majority of people on welfare don't feel great about taking it either.

Last edited by TheGame : 03-27-2010 at 01:35 PM.