Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #166
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

I can't wait to see Dale balls deep in Andrea.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #167
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Man. At first I was like "yesssssssssss" but then I was like "nooooooooo."

But you have to think they are moving forward with axing him, right?

Maggie is insanely hot. If I was Glenn I would be working on repopulating the planet pronto, because how many opportunities do you have to bang hot actress-type girls in the apocalypse?

That's a veiled criticism. She is way too hot. Or maybe not. I've met some hot farmer girls, and girls from Kentucky are fucking crazy. All that religion and conservative stuff creates a closet freak environment. I mean these are girls that shove their hands up a horses' ass, they've seen shit and farm animals so nothing scares them. And if you have the fineness to milk a cow...

This episode actually ascended to B+ status! The first episode was craptastic and gets a D+. Episode 2 was C- swill. So if the show keeps this up we might actually get an A-quality episode before the season wraps up.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #168
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.

Edit2: Ok, onto the rest of the episode. The last minutes were good, but all the stuff before that was so boring. And pointless.
AND THEY'RE STILL LOOKING FOR THE GIRL.

Last edited by Angrist : 10-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #169
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Was just skimming through the comics. Looks like Shane has become a mix of Tyreese plus Rick's dark side. I wonder if it's hindering Rick's development since he comes close to killing Otis in the comic. Shane seems to be doing his dirty work. Shame about Otis. I like that actor.

Speaking of Maggie, here's how her talk with Glen happens in the comic:
http://i.imgur.com/g2zO4.jpg Heh, too bad. Guess gonna stretch things out.

But yeah, the show is getting better.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #170
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.
Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #171
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walki...racter-are-you

I got T-Dog.

Quote:
In another life you were strong, and your sense of right and wrong is still a core part of who you are.
But the apocalypse has left you less sure of yourself; guilt over past actions has forced you to second-guess the decisions you make.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #172
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.
It might have been the rip then. Weird, I've never had that problem before.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #173
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I really liked last nights episode. The pace of the show is still pretty slow, but it's picking up a little bit.

Can't stand Andrea's character:

Dale : " Do you forgive me?"
Andrea : "...I'm trying to."

Are you kidding me? *sigh*

Rick's "he talked about the deer" speech probably could have been written better.

I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.

To be fair though, he actually offered to stay and hold off the zombies while Otis got away.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #174
KillerGremlin
No Pants

I've been meaning to reread the comics. I read 30 issues or so last winter before I got distracted with school. I have a feeling it's just gonna bug me.

So far none of the characters have really been fleshed out in terms of feelings, motivations, and their past. They all act like idiots, are overly dramatic. And right now in the TV Show Dale, Andrea, Carl, Carol, Sophia, Lori, and Shane are all characters that suck and I don't care if they die. The big plot devices to move the episode forward this season have been finding Sophia and Carl being shot. Rick's behaviors have become caricatures, and I just see forced drama and bad writing, not real character development.

So having said all that, Shane is actually being made into a real sonofabitch and I at least appreciate that step forward. His acting is still way over-the-top (scene outside the house by the truck when he comes back home without Otis). But Shane is the first character to actually have that "dark tone" from the comic book, because EVERYTHING ELSE in the show so far has been a sunny walk in the park.

I've been to a few messages boards/Reddit and people are freaking out about Shane. Like "OMG I can't believe he did that, that's the most crazy thing I've ever seen" freaking out. o_O

If the general public reaction to Shane killing Otis (remember, Rule #1 Cardio) is to freak out, then how would the general public react to Lori and the baby being massacred? This show is never going to go full dark.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #175
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.
I thought he shaved his head because Otis ripped a chunk of his hair out, and he didn't want anyone to get wise to the fact he shot him and left him for the zombies so he could get away. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I mean that just as a comment and not as an "are you suuuuuuuure?.

Also, I think the sound quality thing is solely the rip you got, Angrist.

This episode was definitely one of the better ones, I thought. I like what's becoming of Shane's character. Seems like he's slowly slipping into insanity - or something. At the end of this episode it gave me a thought that Shane would be the Antagonist to Rick sometime soon. Maybe by the end of the season. Then again he does seem to have totally wanted Rick and Rick's son alive, despite the intense desire to bang his wife. Who wouldn't. Chicks a babe.

I didn't find anything wrong with the deer speech. Well, it was sort of like a comment, but still. I thought it was pretty touching in a completely-cheesy way. The innocence of children, and all. Zombie apocolypse is going on all around him, kid gets shot and is close to dying, he's seen people get torn apart by the re-animated corpses of people- and the first thing he talks about is how pretty a deer was? Innocence I tells ya.

If I can ask without seeming too douchey for constantly critiquing other people's opinions (because I really don't do it with the intention of douchedom, but with the intention of conversation about why your opinions on why certain things are so bad, are so bad to you); but what seemed over-the-top to you about Shane when he got back and was standing at the truck? The dude essentially killed an innocent man, and had to stand there and watch everyone's reaction to having that dude be dead and torn apart by zombies. It's not like [Shane's actor] was wimpering and had saliva dripping from his lips as he made some moaning sound while helplessly flailing his arms or something. He wasn't pandering to the camera or breaking any fourth wall. The way he talked wasn't very theatric at all.

*joint break*

I honestly don't find the acting on the show terrible at all. I have to figure that some (especially real) people would lose a little of their personalities when a catastrophic event takes place, while others (forget name, Merle's brother/Glen) assumedly have their personality remain unchanged (the slightly jovial attitude, while not being a complete comedian) because they're more or less mentally prepared for the situation by having some type of survival training, or training in general. And don't give me a "Glen doesn't have training." The kid knew the city streets so he felt totally comfortable. Now that they're away from what he knows, I'm noticing his character looking like he's feeling more and more upset with the situation as time passes.

To me Andrea just looks like a chick in complete and utter shock. When my grandpa died a couple weeks ago that's how my dad was more or less. Less of the zombie aspect. But if you've seen anyone in total shock before, they are pretty melodramatic at times. And usually somber, quiet, and highly easy to agitate. The character of Andrea just watched her sister die, then had to put a bullet through her head, decided to kill herself, then was forced to give up that option because of some stubborn old man she doesn't even know. Is the character of Andrea not allowed to be sad? Do you want her and all other characters to be emotionless soulless dickheads who don't think about repercussions or the past? Can these characters not have flaws, break down, get scared, worried, and be extremely depressed? When faced with a traumatic situation, some people just break. Some become stronger people. Some do both.

Are we (as collective fans) so jaded by what zombie shows/movies usually are that when there are characters that act like real people it seems far-fetched to us? Does the collective populace just want another mindless zombie show that is compiled of 5 minutes of finding zombies, and 40 minutes of murder with 10 minutes of loud dialogue in between about finding and killing zombies? Where's the suspense or character building in that.

Anyways, black out your comic-shit. Some of us (probably only me) haven't read them. Granted they might not stick to it page-by-page, but still man, come on.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #176
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I thought he shaved his head because Otis ripped a chunk of his hair out, and he didn't want anyone to get wise to the fact he shot him and left him for the zombies so he could get away. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I mean that just as a comment and not as an "are you suuuuuuuure?.
Yeah, that was definitely the reason he did it, I was just commenting on the other symbolism there. It was like a turning point for his character, with the look he was giving the mirror and how he had just changed his appearance - like he was morally and now physically not the same person any more.

I haven't had a problem with most of the acting either. I think Carl is pretty terrible, and Andrea has plenty of bad moments, but everyone else is doing okay. I even think Dale is pretty believable.

My problem with Andrea isn't that she is sad, it's that she acts completely idiotic, mostly in her attitude towards Dale. I mean, I can understand some irrational anger after she tried to kill herself, but going so far as to have him apologize and then act like there's actually something for her to forgive him for?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #177
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
mean, I can understand some irrational anger after she tried to kill herself, but going so far as to have him apologize and then act like there's actually something for her to forgive him for?

Well, she even said why she was mad at him. She lost everything, and had nothing to live form. She wanted to die on her terms, and not be ripped apart by zombies, and he took that choice away from her by saying he'd stay if she stays. Because she knew he didn't want to die, he just didn't want to be alone.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #178
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Quote:
What the fuck Otis, have you learned nothing?

You'd think after the deer fiasco, the dumbass would stop pointing his gun at other living people.

Typhoid, I think your opinion is 100% valid, but I still feel like the acting has been....I dunno. Not great?

Also, does anyone else think Lori is like anorexic thin? Maybe her body isn't my type. I go for the super thin chicks sometimes, but in my opinion she needs more cushion for the pushin'.

The Walking Dead is all about evil people, not evil zombies. I don't want a show that is 50 minutes of killing zombies. Like I said, I'm happy that they are finally pushing for something dark with Shane.

Season 1, Episode 1 was the darkest episode. The whole house scene with Morgan and Duane was what I wanted from the show. That episode was dark, claustrophobic, and left you with a sense of slow, impending doom. I wish they would have gone back to the suburbs before going to the farm, because the small set pieces have worked well for the show.

The whole city sequence and the current group is pretty sub-par. Episode 2 was solid with the tank scene and the horse. But the Merle crap was annoying. The Grand Theft Walking Dead with the old people made no sense and didn't remotely fit in the context of the universe. And the Ed-Shane stuff was dull.

So here is a comic book, dark as they come where "no one is safe," and a TV show that starts off with great expectations after Episode 1 of Season 1 and then turns into something pretty standard. If anything, The Walking Dead is on par with your average zombie flicks. It hasn't tapped any dark subjects like Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later.

Sophia has been a misstep in Season 2, but this week's episode is a good step forward. I honestly think this season is looking up...

I do encourage you to check out the comics. You don't even need to read up to issue 90. You can stop after the prison. They introduce a guy...the Governor. The guy made #86 on IGN's top 100 comic book villain list.

http://comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/86.html

Zombies, the apocalypse, and surviving...are all the backdrop to the cold hard reality. The cold hard reality that humans are way more terrifying than flesh eating undead. And that we are mindless consumerists, lol (thanks Romero). I don't get that impression so much with the show so far. The hanging tree zombie scene...was it dark? To me, not really. It felt more like Romero-comedy-camp. I guess the Walking Dead writers forced an "epiphany moment" out of that scene for Andrea. But I wasn't all that impressed. (plus, the entire time I was wondering if that was the same tent they found earlier. And if it was, how did a new zombie get in the tree? And if that was a new tent they found, why didn't the explore the inside of the tent and around the campsite? This inconsistent writing is rampant and it starts to weigh heavy on you after a while).

But the good, dark, nitty-gritty stuff is looking up. We got Shane, Hershel, and mutant well-zombies based on the preview of the next episode. Should be good.

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 11-01-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #179
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I do encourage you to check out the comics. You don't even need to read up to issue 90.
I think right here is why there's so much bias against the show. There's been what, like....11 episodes on TV? Where as if the comic was a show, it'd have been going on for like 6-7 years.

I think one of the main things is that comic books are aimed at a pretty niche market, where as TV is generally aimed at everyone. Houswives, old people, that type of thing. For example, my mom absolutely loves the Walking Dead. It's her favourite show that's on right now. She loves the intensity of it, and the seeming bleakness in all of the characters. She's never even had a negative thing to say about the show. And I think that right there is the divide in the audience. You're watching a not-carbon-copy remake, she's watching an original show. she has absolutely no idea it was a thing before this show.

Quote:
The hanging tree zombie scene...was it dark? To me, not really.
I'm not sure, but did you miss the point of that scene, though? (I always forget his name), Merle's brother was totally cool with leaving the dude there, where Andrea felt sympathy for the human being behind the zombie who killed himself to escape the world not only because A) she wants to kill herself and escape the world and B) her sister was a zombie. The scene definitely wasn't "dark", but it was more of a character realization moment. I think Andrea realized that if she wants to kill herself, that's how she's going to end up. Maybe. I don't know.

Quote:
(plus, the entire time I was wondering if that was the same tent they found earlier. And if it was, how did a new zombie get in the tree? And if that was a new tent they found, why didn't the explore the inside of the tent and around the campsite? This inconsistent writing is rampant and it starts to weigh heavy on you after a while).
The zombie didn't hang himself...the human being hung himself. There is aneasy possibility that the human could have been away from the tent at the time (if it was the same one, which I'm totally sure it wasn't anyhow) - but yeah - the zombie didn't get hung, the human dude hung humself, and zombies came by and ate his legs as he hung there, thusly turning him into a zombie.

Personally, I think you should stop expecting it to be like the comics. Didn't they already say they were going to make it different? That right there means that you (general) should immediately stop the comparisons. I've never heard anyone compare the Star Wars episode 1 book to the Star Wars episode 1 movie, because they're different things - or even any Batman cartoons/comics to Batman movies. "In episode 42 Robin was there to fight the joker, but in the dark knight where the fuck was Robin? THIS MOVIE IS SHIT. HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HES DOING. HOW DARE HE DIFFER FROM WHAT I WAS PREVIOUSLY USED TO!!"

Again, I just feel like I need to defend the show, I've seen soooo many people be needlessly harsh on it just because it's either not what they expected from what they created in their mind while reading the comics, or because they're far ahead in the comics, and the differences in canon are maybe freaking people out. I don't mean on this site alone. I just see so much negative feedback for the show, and it pisses me off, because there comes a point where too much negative feedback typically leads to a show getting cancelled - and I really want to see this shit through to the end. With the show, if the show gets cancelled, I won't read the comics, because if there are actually large differences between them, I won't really consider them the same Universe.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #180
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

I enjoy reading Grantland's recaps of the episodes. This one points on some of the problems I have with the show maybe more eloquently than I have the time to do.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ap-zombie-high