KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Review Number 3: Space Wrangler

Artist: Widespread Panic
Album: Space Wrangler
Genre: Rock, Jam Rock, Blues
Similar to: The Grateful Dead

This album means a lot to me. I found this one at my library back in the day. This is one of the best studio albums I have ever heard from any jam band ever. Maybe that doesn't mean much to most people, and I can't blame them. I grew up in the OC of the midwest, so tons of assholes listened to Dave Fucking Matthews and O.A.R. and Phish. I found two underrated gems, Moe. and Widespread Panic to counterbalance the trendy jam rock.

This is it, the definitive summer album. This is a southern, bluesy, jam album. It is spacey, it has pianos, it has grooves, but it keeps the songs at a reasonable length. It also features the band's first singer (and genius guitar player/song writer) Michael Houser. He passed away from pancreatic cancer, but he left behind some awesome work.

The first track Chilly Water sets the tone for the album with a moving bass line and twangy guitars. Then Houser comes in with the vocals and the music becomes spacey.

Highlights on this awesome album are the groovy and fun 'Coconut,' the mellow 'Chilly Water,' 'Porch Song," 'Stop-Go,' and my personal favorite, "Driving Song."

Seriously if you like rock, blues, the south, or jam music, CHECK THIS ALBUM OUT. This is easily in my top 5 best studio albums by a jam band. This album also has summer vibes written all over it....it reminds me of trips to Six Flags, long car rides through corn fields to visit the GF, just sitting outside at night and chilling...stuff like that.

Also, if you want to check out some of the band's live stuff, I recommend the band's earlier live albums with the late Michael Houser.

Link for download in comments of this blog:
http://kokosnik.blogspot.com/2009/03...gler-1988.html

Art:

Tracks:
1. Chilly Water
2. Travelin' Light
3. Space Wrangler
4. Coconut
5. The Take Out
6. Porch Song
7. Stop-Go
8. Driving Song