Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #271
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
My problem is I like the DW fellows but can't listen to the show. They have a good rapport and I enjoyed the Starbucks story and nostalgia gaming talk but I just don't play video games anymore so not going to listen to an hour long show about them.
That is another good point. I even like video games and discussing them, but I'd prefer it mixed in with other topics. I like the variety show style of Nerds on the Rocks. And it wouldn't make much sense if Nerds didn't discuss video games.

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #272
Hitman0769
Baron

Now Playing:
Cool Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack

Hey everybody.

I had a great time participating in the latest NoTR Podcast where we discussed anime, dlc's effect on the gamees industry, and much more! Thanks for having me on!

Hope everyone enjoys the podcast, we had a lot of fun creating it for you.

-Jon Ireson (Contributing Editor at www.DualShockers.com)

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #273
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread

I've been having a good week so been avoiding this topic, but eh might as well.

I will say off the bat that I will continue to support both NoTR and DW as long as everyone makes it possible. If everyone wants to quit after this, I guess it happens.

Also, after this shall set up an e-mail account for NoTR so that folks don't IM me directly with their problems with the podcast (when its out, who's on it, etc). I get that it will come down to me anyhow, but its much easier to deal with when it doesn't cross over with my personal life/time.

With those two bits said, there is no answer that will satisfy folks as to why DW exist so I really won't try and make up a story for it. On a personal level, I'm a huge fan of games, and at some point assume everyone at this site was/is, so I liked the idea of having a dedicated gaming podcast. At the time of coming up with the concept of NoTR, I didn't think we had the caliber of gamers to run a weekly podcast (for the most part, many here don't buy games on a weekly or even monthly basis and not sure how many actually keep up with the news)

This is when I came up with the idea of NoTR which would focus on all things nerdy, and would be less topical so you didn't have to be a comic buyer or movie buyer or game buyer on a weekly basis and still have an interesting conversation. During the course of starting up NoTR (which was about 2 months or so), I also started to run the GameTavern Twitter account. And through that account, I came into contact with gamers who seemed to have a bit more of a passion for all things gaming.

After getting the foundation for NoTR set (which I think is fine, its the planning and execution we have issues with) I ASKED folks from Twitter, not from GT if they had any interest in doing this podcast. The reason I want to point this out, is for the folks saying that it takes resources away from NoTR. Aside from Uber, none of these folks were really GT posters before doing DW, they kind of hover around these parts because they are part of DW. Even with that said, they are still allowed to go on NoTR when they feel like its a topic that fits them.

So may be losing myself in the points so here is how it breaks down to me
-DW and NoTR exist for a broader appeal. As much as I LOVE the concept of NoTR, I also find it can be a bit limiting in reaching an audience since we jump from category to category each week. On the same hand, it is so broad that it can net us a lot of different folks.
-DW exists because at heart, I'm a gamer before anything else, and if it sounds selfish it happens, but I liked the idea of doing a gaming podcast, and I found talent that works well together and for the most part do their own thing. The podcast is scheduled, recorded and edited all by Dual Wielding staff.
-In more nefarious means, it was also a way to get Soccerant, Default and Carnage to become part of the GT community quickly.

That's all I really got.

Just to fix some other issues
-Like I said several times, Dual Wielders can be on NoTR, and Nerds can be on Dual Wielding. There's no rule against it.
-There is no rule against having a gaming discussion on NoTR, since we've done two episodes on e3, and this recent one dealt with DLC. I however will nix an idea I don't think has enough backing for. One of those ideas Xantar proposed that I nixed was talk on onLive and that was because none of us have experience using it so I didn't want to have a discussion on something we hadn't used before. I also believe I nixed the DRM talk because at the time, it was just uber, default and myself and Default didn't play PC game so would have been a two man discussion on something like that.
-As listeners, I don't expect everyone to listen to both podcasts, but I do like having the option out there for members of the forum, but also for the people I post to on Twitter or Facebook or anywhere else.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #274
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack

Quote:
-DW and NoTR exist for a broader appeal. As much as I LOVE the concept of NoTR, I also find it can be a bit limiting in reaching an audience since we jump from category to category each week. On the same hand, it is so broad that it can net us a lot of different folks.
I completely disagree. The fact is that in the podcasting world, there is no such thing as a podcast that always talks about what the listeners are always interested in hearing. If you have a podcast dedicated only to talking about videogames, you're still going to sometimes talk about games for the PS3 or MMORPGs or tournament fighters, all of which are going to be subjects that some portion of your audience is not really interested in. I haven't seen any evidence that Dual Wielding attracts a different audience from Nerds on the Rocks. It seems to me that Dual Wielding listeners are mostly just a small subset of the Nerds on the Rocks listeners. But maybe you have some audience data that you can tell us about.

Since I was on the production side of things, I don't really know why anybody listens to either of the podcasts other than simply because they know the people involved. All I can see is that Nerds on the Rocks is at least a little differentiated from podcasts by IGN or 1UP by virtue of its format and subject matter. As much as I like the Dual Wielding guys, it basically plays as IGN GameScoop with fewer exclusives and 90% less douchebaggery. Not necessarily a bad trade-off, but I don't know if that's the best sales pitch you can make.

And as much as you continue to deny it, the podcasts do compete for resources. They are both supported by the same web page, for example, but the very name of the website makes the Dual Wielding guys look like second-class citizens. And then there's the matter of recruiting additional people to get on the show. Right now, new people are coming from these GameTavern forums and are being asked by both podcasts to consider contributing. I don't think this is sustainable.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't being sustained at all. It's been almost a month since the last Dual Wielding podcast. What exactly is the difference between that and doing an occasional all-gaming episode of Nerds on the Rocks? At the end of all this, all I'm left to think is that this was a vanity project for you. Far be it for me to stop you, but I also don't see why anybody would want to support you. Especially since you now have a proven track record of just hiding from problems.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #275
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

No thread for the latest Nerds on the Rocks, eh? Well, I'll just say that I've forgotten the name of the third guy because he barely spoke, the audio recording quality was really jumpy, and Kate Beckinsale did not play Lois Lane. You're thinking of Kate Bosworth. Kate Beckinsale might actually be a plausible Catwoman because she's used to running around in absurdly tight pants. And I'm predicting that Catwoman will show up at some point because she is an important part of the Batman mythos and because otherwise the movie will have zero women.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #276
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

We now have a fan page on facebook, which will [hopefully] in time, grow in followers.

You can be one of the first!
Brag to your friends!
Start the trend!
Find us on facebook.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #277
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Thread hasn't been updated in a long while...

Doing a weekly webcomic called Cliffhanger. Without a doubt the worst comic to read week to week. Enjoy.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #278
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

We're trying to do something special for NoTr 80 since it lands on Superbowl Weekend, and are doing the first ever Nerd Bowl, and looking for selections/picks to form our Draft Pool

http://nerdsontherocks.com/nerds-roc...draft-nominees

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away